test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How many old school D&D players do we have

Comments

• aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its arguable if I started in 1976 or '77... but the you have to add the SSI gold box series... and every official D&D RPG to date, DDO (having built many hundreds of toons for the playerbase) ... you can say I'm hooked! :)

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • baenonbaenon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My first experience with D&D was "keep on the borderlands", went through the B series, then A series, Ended my "player career" with "Queen of the Spiders" super module. Started DMing Large groups and ran campaigns mainly in FR: Undermountain, Myth Drannor, Netheril, and some Ravenloft. Favorite module was "Thoughts of darkness".
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    drakedge2 wrote: »
    Been playing since the 5th grade, with good old 2.0. I even played in the Navy onboard ship lol.

On what ship? I played on the USS Reeves CG24
  • vac333vac333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nothing beats PNP... your imagination unleashed and full throttle... anything is possible...

I miss my rope and grappling hook...:rolleyes:

(Started with the original RED box):p
    "On the contrary: even if they never speak of it, people have a very
    acute appreciation of the price they have paid for outward peace and quiet:
    the permanent humiliation of their human dignity."
    - Vaclav Havel -
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /raises hand
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paignio328paignio328 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chainmail here also:D im old...;(
    250px-Mithril-hall.jpg

Mithral Hall is recruiting
  • redgaarredgaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    D&D Third edition (not 3.5) and played baldur's gate.
    "Come a little closer. I have a surprise for you"
  • emrendillemrendill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    My first introduction to D&D was "Eye of the Beholder II" on my Amiga 500 :)
  • yegadsyegads Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Early 80's, Moldvay basic with the Erol Otis art.
    We had some kind of odd hybrid thing going using basic and AD&D DMG due to the way the AD&D books were released.
  • lsyalsya Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started in the late 70's in high school. Sadly, after joining the military, I had a hard time finding like minded people to play with; so I fell out of it.

Then the gold box series hit for computers, and I got hooked again. I've been trying as many of the D&D type computer games since then.

Nothing has come close to that group I played with in the 70's though. Video games just can't capture the same experience, but I still love them.
    L'sya Raiya
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah, the memories! Playing with my bros all night long!
    Original D&D in the 70's!
    Played some AD&D I think maybe up until 2nd edition.
  • elthuzarelthuzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I started with AD&D 1st Edition back in '92. I think I played the basic set, 1st and 2nd edition right up until third edition came out. I stopped playing table top after 10 years, life got in the way and PnP was taking up too much time.
  • elthorikelthorik Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    I have been playing since the 70s when it 1st came out as chainmail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainmail_%28game%29

Early 80s for me bought the first edition monster manual, DM Guide and Players Handbook, I still have all of them.
  • elthuzarelthuzar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeah I still have all of my PnP books, most are kept in boxes currently until I move back to my hometown. Just to keep them safe and free of mold. I kept collecting old 1st AD&D books and modules right up until 3.5e came out, I think the only modules I was missing were the GDQ1-7 and A1 Slaver series.
  • banesfollybanesfolly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Most of my tabletop gaming came in the mid 90's with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 2nd edition. We actually ran our campaign in the Forgotten Realms and the Sword Coast so, much of the locals for this game and the base Lore is familiar to me. Just recently was able to purchase a full collection of 2nd edition resource books. I have a bunch of 3.5 edition stuff as well but didn't get a chance to play with it much. If I am able to play again in the future I will play 2nd edition. I have a new infant son, so hoping to teach him when he gets older.
  • erluciuserlucius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 213 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    i started playing D&D 13 years ago lol
  • blasph3m3blasph3m3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started playing AD&D 2nd ed back in '89.

Long live Dark Sun!
    10qkinm.png
  • backbite44backbite44 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Started in a heavily houseruled advanced d&d campaign, played a couple years of that followed by about a decade of 3.5. Not currently in a pnp campaign.
    Saved!
  • pinestainpinestain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Red and Blue also. Man those were fun times.
  • az3ll3az3ll3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited April 2013
    D&D veteran here also. Been playing since... 12 years old or 13 can't remember exactly but that brings me back to the 80's... geez time pass by fast, and my mom who used to tell me back in high school that when I'm a grown up I would quit those silly games xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rierynrieryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Red Box set started me off on my first adventures! Had Chainmail too, but we played the red box on up... still have it in storage!
  • rockeater1rockeater1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have been playing since the first edition box sets also in the 70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Basic_Set

-= The real Rockeater.
  • mal3fact0rmal3fact0r Member Posts: 83
    edited April 2013
    I first played back in the 70's as a kid with my older brother from time to time, then later on with some friends with 2nd Edition. Sadly, I haven't played in years due to friends moving and less free time. Looking forward to this game to scratch that D&D itch :)
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    early 80's I started playing very young, collected all books/modules from white box through forgotten realms, I think I have the collection complete anyway. I love the D&D settings.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since I was around 12. Regularly since college. All told around 27 years.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • jyuen33jyuen33 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Been playing since right after Greyhawk.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Hollow World original here!
  • daroskadaroska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I suppose the title of 'Old School D&D Player' is apt for my time with the game.

But it does make me feel older than I am, as well as a lot more geeky than I am.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Early 80's
    Basic D&D (red box)
    then dark blue,
    light blue,
    black,
    over 50+ modules later I finally got to the
    gold box (in early 90's)
  • ranshasaranshasa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My first character was a halfling (the class) in '81 or '82? Eventually converted to a halfling thief, killed by Asberdies.