test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• Options
    rh97969rh97969 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited April 2013
    Any word yet on the removed companions from the Zen store?
    6ZH4F6g.jpg
  • Options
    rojorrojor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    Fantastic job. Far better job than the devs themselves have done so far with them. :D
    Heh thanks, though to be fair they made the content for me to screenshot and mash together xD
    On that note i chucked some more pictures together of all available companions skills and costs as of BWE4 as well as accompanying training books to upgrade their quality from white(max lvl 15) -->green(max lvl 20) --> Blue(max lvl 25) --> Purple(max lvl 30)

Exotic Companions:
    th_99578_exoticcompanions_122_12lo.jpg
    Common Companions:
    th_00295_commoncompanions_122_358lo.jpg
    Training Tomes:
    th_00438_Trainingtomes_122_450lo.jpg

P.s. you will probably need to click the image again to get its true resolution as with my last post and keep in mind the prices on them are subject to change as its still beta weekend 4 hence none of the companions have full-size previews yet.
  • Options
    prototypev103bprototypev103b Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a question regarding companions.

Are companions still usefull after level 30?
    Lvl 30 seems to be there max level.
    Can they be use to lvl to player character maximum level?
  • Options
    terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok, My common dog has a max level of 15 and my blue zen store Ioun Stone has a max level of 25. I don't think anyone has confirmed that the blue zen store pets are max level 25 yet.

This week the Ioun stone does show up. I get a small comet trail spinning around my head with a larger spot at its head. I've also seen likely a bug but a blue circle following me with a feather or similar graphic artifact with the Ioun Stone. I suspect that in reality its an invisible pet that adds a graphic effect to your character. Oh and I'll have to stop and check but it does look like I get better damage with my Ioun Stone out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, I had that weird bug of too. Showed another npc circle on ground following me invis. Pretty sure it was my Ioun Stone

Curious if it gets anything from purple quality. Folks are saying fighting companions get a 3rd skill.

Would be nice to test it, but can't buy the tomes yet. CS Pets should at least require no more investment since they are way overpriced to start with. Just another bendover by the Cryptic team. Guess I should get them some lube for their birthday. MIght hurt a little less next time around :p
  • Options
    jirodynejirodyne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Here is something I don't think has been posted yet. Here are the first 2 skins for both the Zen store's Earth Elemental, and the lvl 16 quest given Man at Arms.

Earth Elemental first. You can see in the top left max level is 30

Default Skin
    2n04mjs.jpg

Second 'upgraded' skin
    r7qjie.jpg

Now the Man at Arms. I was disapointed with this. Before, the second skin was an actual skin change. Having completely new armor, face, and everything. A whole new 'skin'. Now tho? Well... Just looks.

Default Skin
    2qtxsi9.jpg

Second 'upgraded' skin
    25i4x12.jpg

The skins now, if this is any indication, just adds more armor pieces onto the Companion, keeping them looking mostly the same.

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention. The Man at Arms, is maxed at lvl 15.

Edit 2: If not known yet, the Second Skin unlocks at lvl 10. So I am guessing the third is lvl 20, and the last one is lvl 30.
    Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
  • Options
    zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Didnt read the 10 pages so not sure if anyone have tried the "Dancing Shield" companion that cost about 900K AD. He is 100% useless, the free Man at arms does a better job. Most of the time the "Dancing Shield" just stay far behind you and do absolutely nothing. He is labeled as a "Defender" but basically does nothing most of the time. The other companions assist you, so if you attack they will attack too. But not the "Dancing shield", tried attacking the target dummy and the "Dancing shield" stays back and never attack (unless I get attacked first).

This is "Dancing shield" default skin and its second skin at level 10.
  • Options
    stryker67stryker67 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait..what'd I miss? We're supposed to get a 2nd companion after Neverdeath? WTH?
  • Options
    dixeedixee Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for the info
  • Options
    sansin1303sansin1303 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    This thread has me excited beyond belief! LOVE the companions and just hope (unlike the Wiz or the Shield, apparently) that they ALL have significant uses!
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013

I don't know about max level (I'm keeping some stuff unknown for game launch), but even into the mid 40, the Common Companions still hold up fairly well. Their damage and survivability starts to drop bit by bit. There isn't some magic cutoff poit where they are redned useless. But their basic usability still works. Cleric Disciple will heals as well. Man at Arms still grabs aggro well enough.
  • Options
    mazzlesmazzles Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rh97969 wrote: »
    Any word yet on the removed companions from the Zen store?
    This, I can't find anything about it :c
    I don't see why they should be removed.

My Pinto Horse mount is also removed from the NPC now, and renamed to "Waterdeep", why? :c
    1PxMOdN.png

Oh, I didn't know this was a PvP-focused game, my bad.
  • Options
    areaaaareaaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I will like to ask if anyone found the quest after 'graveyard'ish area - the quest for the green cleric companion? I don't know if its gone in BW4 or I just missed it...
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am a bit disappointed the skin unlocks don't change more than armor. I was hoping for something like swtor companions where the skin color and faces changed too so when you see two cleric companions you were seeing two separate people.
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Awesome work Civil!!
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    jirodynejirodyne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    I am a bit disappointed the skin unlocks don't change more than armor. I was hoping for something like swtor companions where the skin color and faces changed too so when you see two cleric companions you were seeing two separate people.

Indeed. That was how it worked in Beta 3. A different skin, really was a different skin. Now it's just a straight adding armor only.

The only way people will like this, is if they add in the feature alot of people wanted, that being to be able to customize their companion's look. Since you can do it as a player, and with the foundry you can customize NPCs. so why not companions?

It would have been pointless before, but now? Now it would work...
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    Yay I got stickied!

Thread has been updated. I unfortunately did not get nearly enough play time in that I wanted this weekend so my testing things out and exploring all the changes was less than I had wanted. And now I am off to finish doing taxes. Yay taxes. I hope everyone finds this helpful!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    eyebreaker7eyebreaker7 Member Posts: 621 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice job with this info. Helps me decide what NOT to get. The Dancing Shield and the CW apparently. I'm getting a Panther but I'd love to get a Honey Badger. Honey Badger doesn't care. Honey Badger doesn't..... A Ghaleb Duhr would be sweet also.
    I'm gonna rip your head off and make it my puppet! (NwN2)
  • Options
    volkiravolkira Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deepgold wrote: »
    Thank you Rojor for the image.

If companions can only max rank to 30, does that mean they will be useless around 40s and near end game content?

I was a lvl 44 Control wizard and was only using my lvl 15 Men at Arms and he was doing a pretty good job against lvl44 stuff.Sure he died when we were mobbed but often he gave me the buffer I needed to kill the boss.
    So I wont be complaining about having a lvl 30 version.

I just wish we could customize our companions gear.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Not sure if anyone answered you yet, so I might as well. From my understanding, The level is more cosmetic than anything. It's to unlock abilities and slots and skins. While also, the companion is usually always half your level. So at lvl 60, your companion would be 30, half your level.

You would notice it easily when you get the companion at lvl 16, and they start at lvl 1. However, but the time you hit lvl 20, the companion is suddenly around lvl 8ish, 8 levels, to your 4. Not long after that, they get to half your level, and usually stay at that, maybe falling behind a little, but never going over.
  • Options
    texikantexikan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice post civildude. Thanks for the effort. +1
  • Options
    deepgolddeepgold Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I have a question on companion training, if my lvl 1 companion gained 8 ranks of experience when I completed the orc's district. If I were to send him for training, will he return as lvl 8 companion or just a lvl 2 companion? Also do the training time gets longer the higher level my companion is training?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    deepgold wrote: »
    I have a question on companion training, if my lvl 1 companion gained 8 ranks of experience when I completed the orc's district. If I were to send him for training, will he return as lvl 8 companion or just a lvl 2 companion? Also do the training time gets longer the higher level my companion is training?

He will come back as a lvl 8. And yes, it does get longer. When you train them, it adds up all the time for all the levels. So going from 1 to 8, would take a lot longer than say 1-2 or 7-8. Because it adds up all the time to go from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 and so on. But in all my time playing, never seen the time reach an hour. I think 30-45ish mins was the longest I ever seen. But then against, I only got him to lvl 15, and couldn't level him higher.
  • Options
    hawneehawnee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 61
    edited April 2013
    Im hoping the cave bear comes back you can look at it but it wasnt on any vendor my pinto was gone too as well as the bear mount which i really wanted to try out
  • Options
    slapthathogslapthathog Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    Nice post civildude...thanks for the hard work on that! I was sad to see that panther was founder pet cause I had the dog. Hate to think I did something wrong or overlooked something that was looking right at me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving too!"

Dungeon: Power of the Loc-Nar
    Author: @Merryblues
    Short Code: NW-DCPWC4FTI
    Average Duration: 23 min
    Forum Link: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?282392-Power-of-the-Loc-Nar
  • Options
    cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    civildude wrote: »
    New info - Companions come in different rarities just like gear. White companions can only hit level 15, green companions level 20, blue level 25 and purple level 30. (need confirmation on blue and purple as I only was able to acquire green and white companions. Soon you will be able to level up the rarity of your companion from the in game vendors located at the emporium in protectors enclave. This means if you really like your white quality cleric you can make her just as strong as the higher quality companions by purchasing her rank ups in game. The currently have no prices.

I didn't know this, thanks for the info!
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • Options
    tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thanks I appreciate this! you nailed my reason early on when you said you have to guess their gender when you're naming them. Now I won't have to guess!
  • Options
    tabbytreebarktabbytreebark Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If they put kobolds back in the zen store, I'm totally going to purchase one and name him Deekin. <3

... and probably so will loads of people. :P

Anyway, thanks for making this guide. It looks like it'll be really helpful to refer to when choosing and training companions. There's a lot of information in this guide I did not know, and a few bits I was confused about and you seem to have answered all my companion-related questions for now.
  • Options
    civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    I'm incredibly happy that this has helped a bunch of people! I'll have to do stuff like this in more games, find something in beta to gather info on and find out all I can about it. That way I won't blow through too much content just playing and testing and then get bored of the game earlier.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • Options
    glaurungthefirstglaurungthefirst Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What happened to the Bear companion or the Bear Mont they were avail on beta 3 I purchased the Bear mount in beta 3 and I had it avail for beta 4 but you could no longer buy it...it looked great though