test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The 7 deadly signs Neverwinter will disappoint...

Comments

• Options
    ufdamayaufdamaya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    I enjoy the game and I've been playing since 1979. Certainly not "From the beginning", but I would definitely call it the first chapter given how little was out at the time and how much has been released since then.

The person you quoted appears to be a D&D player as well. I am not much of an MMO player really, but I am very excited about this game and am even more excited after playing it this past weekend.

I think this game will appeal to a wide variety of people and there will be others that don't like it. Based on in-game chat and even the forums that have mixed comments - the game is a winner. The foundry is exactly the type of system that will cater to many real-life D&D players. I want to tell a story and experience other people's story.

I am not really trying to convince you of anything, except that some people will really like this game and some of those will be long-time D&D players like myself.
  • Options
    vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Here's some constructive advice:

Who is a game called D&D targeting as it's player base? Gee, one would think D&D players. The problem is Cryptic couldnt make up it's mind does it want D&D players or MMO players or WoW players so it tried to cater to everyone and historicaly that approach caters to no one.

What do D&D players want? Well one would guess D&D.

So to summarise what needs to be done
    - Put the damn d20 system into the game (this includes but is not limited to the use of Armor Class, hit bonuses and skill checks)
    - Make classes actual classes, not slice them up into pregenerated builds
    - If you are unsure how to do any of this look to DDO and a 4E book, or just ask WotC
    - Profit, from all the happy D&D fans that have accumulated over 40 years of the game existing, instead of the WoW kiddies that will go back to WoW after a month

And before someone starts again with "ermahgerd it can't be done", yes it can, it's just harder than making whatever THIS was.
    DDO has pvp and a f2p shop, and players and dungeons and dragons and a d20 system! Today is 6 years later, we have the technology...if you build it they will come.

NOW GET A DEV HERE TO ACTUALLY READ THIS INSTEAD OF FIGHTING EACHOTER FOR SCRAPS
  • Options
    evilfish82evilfish82 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The combat system is a MUST. I'm a big D&D fan and I totally understand the roll-based combat, but the fact is, it's so bloody old and overrated in MMOs that it does not give NW any actual edge over other MMOs other than the fact that it's a D&D setting and considering DDO, that won't do much for their game.

Consider this - You are no longer playing a single player game where you have to handle a party, or pause the game to look for a tactic (proof - playing IWD with other people was bloody boring after a while), you are not playing a pen and paper game where you are sitting at a table with your friends drinking beer or mountain dew, If the combat is not exciting, fast paced and rewarding at the same time, it will be boring (not to everyone but enough to make a difference). I'm not interested in a souped up version of Neverwinter Nights 2.

Oh and NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer was one of the best games I've played (Forgotten realms story-wise at least).
  • Options
    nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Who is a game called D&D targeting as it's player base? Gee, one would think D&D players. The problem is Cryptic couldnt make up it's mind does it want D&D players or MMO players or WoW players so it tried to cater to everyone and historicaly that approach caters to no one.

- Put the damn d20 system into the game (this includes but is not limited to the use of Armor Class, hit bonuses and skill checks)
    - If you are unsure how to do any of this look to DDO and a 4E book, or just ask WotC
    - Profit, from all the happy D&D fans that have accumulated over 40 years of the game existing, instead of the WoW kiddies that will go back to WoW after a month

And before someone starts again with "ermahgerd it can't be done", yes it can, it's just harder than making whatever THIS was.
    DDO has pvp and a f2p shop, and players and dungeons and dragons and a d20 system! Today is 6 years later, we have the technology...if you build it they will come.

NOW GET A DEV HERE TO ACTUALLY READ THIS INSTEAD OF FIGHTING EACHOTER FOR SCRAPS

DDO..PVP? Does that unbalanced, terrible manfestion even qualify as PVP? DDO is a good game, but come on...there PVP is the worse I've seen lol.
  • Options
    stimulusresponsestimulusresponse Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I sometimes wonder if people realize that different types of games are like different mediums for stories. The mechanics cannot be simply transferred over without adaptation. Moreover, why would you want to? Just play the original game for that.

Playing a MMO with exclusively D20 pen and paper game mechanics is like making a movie based on a book and just filming it page by page. It just doesn't work very well... With ACTUAL un-adapted D&D d20 mechanics, combat would be clunky and unbalanced, and it would lack the sophistication I expect to see in a MMO game.

And whoever thinks they can speak for all D&D fans about what "we" want (particularly that we don't want lore, don't want the atmosphere and only want a computer to roll dice for us), I think you need to realize that you don't speak for everyone.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    jimhon wrote: »
    1. Huge damage numbers.

2. Level cap 60

3. Reworked skills not actually D&D rules any more.

4. Action combat but no talk about why this won't be bad for high pings.

5. Not Dark enough.

6. Active Blocking is not in D&D.

7. Classes seem like templates.
    Sigh learn to read FAQ and WOW is the best MMO that I have played though after 3.5 years I finally want to play some other MMO.

1. Huge damage numbers.
    So what? Whatever that is ok!

2. Level cap 60
    Yeah this game should have lots of levels and ENDGAME as it should be!

What I have seen from BETA youtube vidoes the system looks really good to me!

4. Action combat but no talk about why this won't be bad for high pings.
    Well I hope you get servers also in Australia. That said I live in Europe and I am not to worried about server support.

5. Not Dark enough.
    I love horror movies/TV series. That said you can with Foundry create horror adventures and even weather effects like lightning storm.

Sigh. This is an Action Combat game. Active blocking or dodge rolls belong to Action Combat.

Yes, but I am not GURU in DD4th edition rules. With this system it seems ok to understand and sooner or later some powergamer will post in Internet and tell what powers work best with each other.
  • Options
    sliversparksliverspark Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just like books need to be adapted into film, D&D is adapted to a video game here. A lot of things are streamlined and some removed completely. If you want true D&D, then go play it man. This is a video game, not even close to pen and paper; not even remotely close. Plus, you forgot one of the biggest D&D concepts - the books are guides, NOT rule books.
  • Options
    vrtnipatuljakvrtnipatuljak Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    Just like books need to be adapted into film, D&D is adapted to a video game here. A lot of things are streamlined and some removed completely. If you want true D&D, then go play it man. This is a video game, not even close to pen and paper; not even remotely close. Plus, you forgot one of the biggest D&D concepts - the books are guides, NOT rule books.

There are good movie adaptations that stick to to books and bad ones that don't. Thats exactly whats happening here. The fact that it's a video game has nothing to do with it. Baldur's Gate is one of the best games ever made in general and it stuck to the rules 14 years ago, with far less technology available and a far more complicated edition of the game! Also, I'm guessing there is a reason the 3 main D&D books are always called "Core Rulebooks" not "Core Guides". /wave
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

No truer words. If people love pnp and only want pnp, it's available now to play, in multiple editions, no less.
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013

DnD isn't adapted at all. It's a Champions reskin, and nothing more.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The OP can be summarized as simply:

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

It is amusing just how incredibly uptight some D&D players are and how they fuss, fret and fume over the most irrelevant things.

It's a game. It's one I've happened to have been playing now for over 3 decades. Clearly, the game is doing something right to keep people like me around this long.

Neverwinter is a significant part of D&D's future. It is most clearly a D&D game to anyone with a true heart and mind.

But D&D players love to whine, pretty much incessantly, I've seen it since the time the very first Fiend Folio was released. Hell, go read the letters to the editor a few issues after the first Anti-Paladin article was written for Dragon. The eternal cry of "this isn't D&D", was just as vociferous then.

So much wasted energy on utterly pedantic worry.

The game won't suit everyone's taste, but it is certifiable Dungeons and Dragons translated to a new medium and engine, one that keeps the true spirit of the game alive and well.

Or if you prefer...

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Good luck with that frame of mind! :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    baneelement2baneelement2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lol I do not know where to begin initial post was so disgusting and ignorant lol.
  • Options
    firesnakeariesfiresnakearies Member Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The funny thing is, no matter which edition or adaptation of D&D someone's preferred "ideal" version is, there were just as many people vehemently insisting that IT "wasn't D&D" at the time it came along. So shall it always be, world without end.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I can't really speak from a standpoint of P&P to MMO, but in the perspective of MMO to MMO, I think NW has a good chance. As it is a DnD title, it gets a lot of attention from that playerbase, but from my eyes, it is an awesome MMO going on to the market with a F2P advantage over many of the popular titles today. I agree that the game has some flaws, as every game does, but to me (the really optimistic guy), the other components outweigh these flaws.
  • Options
    ufdamayaufdamaya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

I am really glad this isn't another DDO. DDO has a few nice things about it, but it has even more that drains the fun from the game.
  • Options
    rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited February 2013
    Still some people don't seen to understand that this game won't be a Pen and Paper representation of D20 rules, that what Cryptic is taking into Neverwinter is Forgotten Realms, the setting, not a set of rules that is meant to be played by 4-6 people with a lot of die and free time on a rainy evening.

If you ever got your hopes up, yeah, you'll be disappointed, but you did that to yourself. Personally, as much as I'd like this game to be "Baldur's Gate 3.0, the mmo", I actually rather the game was successfull. A Baldur's Gate gameplay or even a Neverwinter Nights one would be a disaster, and would cause the game to be played by just a bunch of nerds, failing misserably and dying in a month's time.

Currently there are less than 2,000 players all over the world that play regularly online on the old Neverwinter Nights. If you think that 2,000 people are enough to sustain a modern AAA mmo, think again. Just stop whining and take NWO for what it is. And if you don't like it you're in your right, but again, nobody ever got your hopes up about it being a loyal PnP representation. You did that to yourself.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    ufdamaya wrote: »
    I am really glad this isn't another DDO. DDO has a few nice things about it, but it has even more that drains the fun from the game.

Ahhh....DDO is amazing. I hope Neverwinter becomes equally amazing in its own ways.
  • Options
    edwardledwardl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Might be jumping the tracks before the rails are even laid OP
  • Options
    rympharympha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 92
    edited April 2013
    If we wanted to play WoW we would be. You release a wow clone and people will go straight back to wow.

I havent played WoW since WotLK, so I dont know how much it has changed. But I have to know why everyone keeps saying this game is similar to WoW. Its not just you, but many of your commenters as well. I mean, this game is a serious rip off of Diablo 3, and doesn't remind me at all of WoW.

Perhaps it is because ive played a TON of MMOs, but this game is completely different than all the other MMOs out there. I seriously see this game as an ARPG brought into the MMORPG world. Don't get me wrong, I dont think this game is original...just an ARPG from a different view point. But it makes it unique. There are no other MMOARPG games out there that I know of.

BTW, I know they boast Action Combat, like TERA had, but I have to make 2 points on that. First, RTS games like Diablo, Torchlight, ect... Already have that, so its not something that makes this game special, it just makes it even more of a Diablo ripoff. Im not saying thats bad, if your gonna rip off Diablo, you shouldnt change the combat to tab targeting, that would be <explicit>. Secondly, the action combat is not like TERA, its like an ARPG. If you have your camera slightly off in TERA, you would miss. In this game, you just have to get close, it sort of auto corrects your aiming for you. Also in TERA, if you swing a big sword, that sword hit everything in its path. In NWO, even if your sword clearly slices through someone, it wont hit them if your rectile is on another enemy, of course not all abilities are like this, but the beginning attack on the great weapon fighter is like this and it proves my point.

TLDR; This game is not another WoW rip-off, its a Diablo rip-off made into an MMORPG. Which makes the game kind of interesting in its own way being the first MMORPG made to resemble an action ARPG game.
    vox_edited-4_zpsf285842b.png
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    Look out!

Another thread from the Neverdead cemetery walks among us again. . .
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Threads should just auto-lock after 30 days with no posts...that'd be nice, right mods? :)

And ironically enough, seems like this bird's song has changed since posting this months ago. I'd call this a win for Cryptic.

/thread
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    somebody complaining about how the game deviates from pnp and how it sucks because of that is really **** and DOESNT understand dnd AT ALL

1) of course you have to deviate when transferring from a pnp to a computer game to make it smoother and
    2) most importantly - the whole POINT of the dnd rules is to give you guidelines to create your own adventures, expand on these rules, change them, adapt and make it your own - saying that its not dnd because it doesnt follow every rule 1:1 is like saying someone uses the foundry wrong
  • Options
    forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

1. Huge damage numbers.
    Why not have damage like a Dungeons and Dragons game instead of ego inflating ********? +1

2. Level cap 60
    4E level cap is 30. +1

We want D&D computer game with REAL D&D rules and gameplay.
    Agree, but I would like to have some addition for the sake of visualization. Such as blocking.

4. Action combat but no talk about why this won't be bad for high pings.+1
    latency issue might be really troublesome. But I would still like to have action combat for visual satisfaction

5. Not Dark enough.
    no comment on this one.

I would like to have some sort of roll based auto blocking instead of this one. The main reason why I want is also for visual satisfaction even if it's not in D&D

I want my plain Fighter to be a guardian fighter because of the moves I pick; not the class. +1

Most interviews sucked, but I did learn to send a woman if you want 16 mins and not 5. ;)+1
    Great observation!

Very nice post. I hope developers take their time and read it.
  • Options
    timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    Why. Won't. You. Stay. Dead!
  • Options
    forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    :)
    Some of these comments are what I wanted to write in a post.
    Instead of creating a topic which can not be written better by myself, I decided to use "animate dead" on this one.
    I also don't want some these to be forgotten.
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this thread is a waste of everyones time and an embarrassement to people who think they understand dnd while they clearly dont
  • Options
    sallee132sallee132 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I agree about dmg numbers,it should not be vary high,on WOW those numbers are just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and we dont need that here too.But about shield,u need to accept that D&D progress towards new engine,new mods,new games.Ofc that shield should be active use and like on other new games.This game cant stay in shadow of modern age just cause u like it like that,other people dont agree with u.Second thing i dont agree is about NWN 2.Neverwinter Nights 2 is 1 of my favorite games,i had lot more fun playing it then Neverwinter Nights 1.It have great story,good graphic and more locations to visit,where NWN 1 make u stuck 60% of game at same place (Neverwinter) which gets boring with time.The thing is that we talk about personal tastes and what u like doesnt mean others wont ether,i dont think game will fail,foundry will make this game alive for vary long,only thing that could destroy it is Perfect World with those pay to win system.
  • Options
    ebonsonebonson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Classes are what will kill this game for me. I don't see a point in making a D&D game if you don't allow the many options that the D&D system gives. The way they have locked the Classes have turned this game into another generic MMO but with a Forgotten Realms paint job. They even limit the gear to the classes. It's not Light, Medium and Heavy armor, it's Trickster Rogue, Devoted Cleric and Guardian Fighter armor. I see some people in this thread with delusions that they will open the classes later but that will not ever happen, you can see that the game isn't set up for that just by looking at the 2 fighters. They should both be able to wear the same armor and use the same weapons but they can't. Some people also say that you can't make a D&D computer game that's truly faithful to the source because of the limitations PCs have and I agree but this game didn't even try. I would go as far as to say this is the least D&D of all D&D PC games made so far, hell I'd even throw the console games in there too.

When I think of D&D I think of a RPG where you have control over your abilities. I don't really think of the Classes in D&D as Classes as much as they are training. In D&D if you see someone wearing light armor and holding a sword they can be anything from a Wizard that took some combat feats to a Fighter that prefers agility over strength. In Neverwinter 100% of the players you see with a shield will be a Guardian Fighter. Every player with 2 weapons will be a Trickster Rogue. This isn't D&D until I can have a dual wielding Cleric that can hide and use sneak attacks because they worship a god of shadows. Or a Wizard with a greatsword that empowers herself with magic and cleaves through her enemies in melee.

I know I sound like I'm bashing this game but I'm just trying to point out how disappointing it is to see something that is known for it's freedom of choice be so very restricted. I really had my hopes up when I saw that Cryptic was making a D&D game. Most of my experience of Cryptic's work was from Champions and if that game did anything right it was it's freedom to customize your character. It's not that Neverwinter is a bad game I'm just not seeing the difference between Neverwinter and Generic Asian Action MMO #307.
  • Options
    blooddathblooddath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game is bad, nothing but a money grab.
  • Options
    omnlnkomnlnk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    blooddath wrote: »
    This game is bad, nothing but a money grab.

Money grab how? It's FREE to play. ~_~ Buying things is optional.
This discussion has been closed.