Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter worst class

Comments

• Options
    coyotedeltacoyotedelta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    piku247 wrote: »
    Well this class sucks in pvp when have to be in front, die first and most time.

Then don't PvP. It's an afterthought anyway.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Yeah and then there is me and I am PvP gamer from FPS games like Unreal Tournament 2004. I played devouted Cleric. I was so eager about PvP so I barely got to level 10 during this my first Beta Event that I could attend.

I played hours PvP and really won won won so those who say it is not skill are wrong. However in my laziness about PvE I did not check that there was a Vendor that sold companions for gold. So I entered Orcs district alone without any companions...

Since you can't get a companion at level 10, that isn't pertinent to the discussion at hand.
    Beginning goes fine I kill mobs... then I am entering deeper... but suddenly I get attention from one mob as another mob respawns besides me... I begin fighting them and then an Orc patrol appears and joins! So I end solo fighting 3 mobs! Of course I died and please stop saying dying before level 12 is impossible. I get my companion next time I play but I still have my doubts if I can defeat 3 big orc mobs at the same time without other players. I actually got invited to a Guild also on Sunday... so yeah I can be social in Dungeons and do group content.

Interesting. I didn't start that until level 12, so I suspect there was some pacing difficulty on your character (skipped a quest, maybe I did some content you didn't). It was pretty tough, starting at level 12-13, but just required aggro management and not standing in the road.

My statement still stands, however - before level 10, there isn't a way to die without being a bad player. I then went on to say I didn't die before level 12-14 (but I did die in that orc area). You stated you were level 12, which corresponds to my statement earlier.

Granted, I suppose there is a way to skip content, end up in that area, and prove me wrong; but again, that's sort of user error. I'll restate: Before level 10 in this game, there isn't a way to die without being a bad player.
  • Options
    xfracturexfracture Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    From a PvP perspective GWF is fine. Fairly balanced. There's a metric ton of mobility so what some posters are complaining about is beyond me. You can't walk into a PvP scenario sporting a PvE kit and expect to own face. If your kit doesn't include charge/leap you're doing yourself and the class a great disservice.

There are a few videos already circulating showing the GWF pulling more than his own weight. I suggest watching a few of them. One of them can be found right in our own Barracks forum. While other classes may or may not be out of whack is not for me to judge. But I'm quite happy with GWF and the degree of situational awareness needed to perform well.
  • Options
    zionlythzionlyth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Since you can't get a companion at level 10, that isn't pertinent to the discussion at hand.

You can get a companion at any level. You just get a free one at lvl 16. Nothing stops you from buying one whenever you have the money. I had a cleric companion at lvl 8 on my GWF, helped a TON.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zionlyth wrote: »
    You can get a companion at any level. You just get a free one at lvl 16. Nothing stops you from buying one whenever you have the money. I had a cleric companion at lvl 8 on my GWF, helped a TON.

Egads, when did that change? I'll grab my cleric at level 4, then. I hate them being so far behind me in level.
  • Options
    inullableinullable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I got to lvl37 and loved every minute of it...once I got Sure Strike. I think gaining that skill at a lower level would go a long way to making the class easier for new players to get hooked on it. Like many others who ran gwf in dungeons, I most always got most kills or most damage...just gotta zip around the battlefield and gain combat advantage. The gwf has excellent mobility in that regard. :)
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    piku247 wrote: »
    Well this class sucks in pvp when have to be in front, die first and most time.

There be your problem, quit playing like a suicidal monkey.
    All classes even GF will die if you rush in alone like a Leeroy.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    inullable wrote: »
    I got to lvl37 and loved every minute of it...once I got Sure Strike. I think gaining that skill at a lower level would go a long way to making the class easier for new players to get hooked on it. Like many others who ran gwf in dungeons, I most always got most kills or most damage...just gotta zip around the battlefield and gain combat advantage. The gwf has excellent mobility in that regard. :)

Sure strike is a defining attack power. Anyone who didn't get high enough to use it doesn't really have a say on how good or bad the GWF is, imo. It's like saying druids suck in WOW before getting cat form. How the heck can you know? You didn't even get a class-defining ability. Heck, you haven't even evaluated the class based on more than 1/5th of the game. In this game, it's just 10 hours of play to 30. Even I, with my high standards on a game, don't have THAT much ADD.

I didn't enjoy the GWF for different reasons, but I'm not thinking it's a bad class. There are tweaks to be done, but overall, it's a well-made class. Just have to be a GWF mindset player to use it. I'm more of a DC or CW. There are some great TRs out there, too, but I'm not one of them. Different playstyle.

Standing there hacking at things in this game doesn't work. Get WOW out of your heads. It's not tab-targeting. Get used to it, or play another game. It requires a change on the part of the player used to tab-targeting. You will suck, and not have fun, if your combat is "charge to enemy. Hit attack button". This will be present with every class (a little less with some, like the DC).
  • Options
    magrynmagryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like a bunch of players without much skill. If played skilfully the GWF is a great class to play. I am by no means skilled and managed to get my BW3 GWF halfling up to level 50 without much dying. Just needs the right gear selection to benefit the Stats. the play style that worked for the Halfling was sting & Go approach.stay out of the AoE and watch for the telegraphed swings. Here's a clue....team up with a good GF had while he holds Argo to wreak massive damage. worked for me in spite of the obvious restraints the Halfling presented in terms of being a fighter class.
  • Options
    jaynpcjaynpc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I could rip from the healing strike up to 200hp. And I feel that the GWF is awesome, it might be the developers will make some changes into the class later on
  • Options
    deadarmoured87deadarmoured87 Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2013
    The charge up strike is not to be used in the middle of combat

Use in PVE:
    -Before you engage with mobs, giving them no chance to wail on you as you charge up, effectively hitting them 3 times with the first blow.

-Against a boss when they use a special attack. Move out of red circle, charge up attack instead of waiting around, unleash when the mob comes forwards. Tadaa! You just hit with the power of 3 normal attacks in one and didn't waste any potential dps.

In PVP:

-I can't think of any, unless you hid behind a corner waiting to smack the first sucker who popped his head around ;P
  • Options
    enochenoch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I liked it enough, though I usually am more of a healer or tank when playing MMOs, I was always 1st or 2nd in kills, damage, and amount healed when grouping in dungeons, so for a Conan style fighter, it was very satisfying to play. And I felt I succeeded in filling the DPS/Tank role, having an easy time protecting the group by zipping around and killing the mobs attacking my healers and DPSers, then going back to the main boss to make sure it spent most of its time hitting me. Honestly, without all of the action needed to properly function in a group with the GWF, it would be too boring for me to play. I like playing the healer usually, or the rogue so I can find traps and such, but after trying out the GWF in the last beta weekend, and seeing how much it can make group dungeons easier especially when there is already a shield tank in the group, I might make one if I have the free slot for it. I don't mind the challenge, it's definitely one of the things I am looking forward to this game. It's like going back to the level of challenge of earlier MMOs, without the almost PnP level of complexity of character management.

Plus the anime style of the Great Sword is just awesome :p I can't wait to see what kind of appearances they will have for items and such when the game is released :)
  • Options
    troncektroncek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I also had no problem soloing at least up to the undead maps in BW3. Also didn't use up a lot of potions either once I got a healing companion.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    enoch wrote: »
    Plus the anime style of the Great Sword is just awesome :p I can't wait to see what kind of appearances they will have for items and such when the game is released :)

It's actually pretty close to actual scale for a greatsword. It's not really anime-style at all.
  • Options
    jasbinsjasbins Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 45
    edited March 2013
    umad bro?
    GWF do NOT seems strong at PVP, but he is the most strong class PVE
    OFC, the GF uses half potions because he is more "tanky", but on the other side, the GWF kills faster (aoe dmg) and inflicts more damage.
    buuut, another detail, you have to know how to build your GWF, build damage and damage and damage, and if you can, more damage, 18str at start, get more str each 10 lvls, be an half-orc.

the rogue may outdamage in 1v1, but as someone said earlier in this post, rogue is the PVP class.
    15.jpg

Jasbinschek D' Forc - GWF lvl 60 8.5K GS (for now)
  • Options
    dwyvyrn316dwyvyrn316 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It would be nice if the great weapon wasn't just a sword... hopefully we'll see some axes, and hammers in the new future or by release.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    dwyvyrn316 wrote: »
    It would be nice if the great weapon wasn't just a sword... hopefully we'll see some axes, and hammers in the new future or by release.
    quoted for the greatest justice!!
    i agree
    15.jpg

• Options
    llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well there's your problem right there. GWF is not a tank. You shouldn't be trying to tank all the hits. Hit and run, feint and leap, mount-to-knockdown, there are a ton of advantages you could pull off with good GWF combos. You just have to learn to play the class as that class, and not your expectations. I did really well as GWF this beta in PvP, and I had only a few hours to learn how to use him. Other betas gave other people ample time to learn the other classes, so expect them to know how to use their class already.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • Options
    scorch36scorch36 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    IMO i think that the GWF should not be the only class that has sprint. HE get's around faster than two summer-salts by a rouge, the GF cant even doge which is irritating when there is an AOE attack and well i just think that all around that the GWF is not for me due to it's low ability to strike fast and hard, or even hard. He/she does not have that tanky, heavy class with a big weapon. To be honest the big weapon is just a gimmicky thing to me.
    A pale light at dawn. A touch of white horizon. Shadows of light. The brotherhood of elites.
    Let the horizons run white, and shadows turn light.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    scorch36 wrote: »
    IMO i think that the GWF should not be the only class that has sprint. HE get's around faster than two summer-salts by a rouge, the GF cant even doge which is irritating when there is an AOE attack and well i just think that all around that the GWF is not for me due to it's low ability to strike fast and hard, or even hard. He/she does not have that tanky, heavy class with a big weapon. To be honest the big weapon is just a gimmicky thing to me.
    What?!?! GWF do NOT strike HARD?
    tell that to my first/second (mostly first) place at "damage dealer" at instances
    he is basically the warrior from DnD, using a 2 handed weapon. heavy armor, heavy damage, he is not supposed to dodge stuff, he is supposed to resist.
    15.jpg

• Options
    djcarrydjcarry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lol so I just read this post and have to put my 2 cents in. GWF is by far the best PvP class. If they have their daily and Tab up ready to go, they are unstoppable and will least kill 1 person in matter of seconds (if he/she has right moves). I have 2 shotted a rogue at level 50 and I have soloed a control wizard. The GWF is a "skilled" champ not like the trailer were you just jump in and hope to kill someone. The talk about getting rid of sprint is dumb. Dodge on a warrior wouldnt make him a warrior...He has heavy armor for reason. Take hits and sprint into battle. In PvE, He outshines rogues due to the ability to take a hit or to dash to target. Sure Strike is by far the best move he has. Fast attacks building determination and chancing for crit to apply bleed. You arent relying on CDs to do damage. You use your encounters (once again the right ones) to do burst damage then back to sure strike for more strong sustain damage. IMO i believe GWF need to keep there single target damage and increase there AoE a little bit. Maybe, nerf single target a little bit but thats it. Now for tanking I have no words for that since i dont think they should even be a tank. But hey! thats my opinion. GWF #1 PvP class by far.
  • Options
    pisnahuj10pisnahuj10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    good job releasing the new class, GWF, which i started to play on beta weekend 3. however, feels like it isnt that strong. yes we get the mobility, but the survivability and the damage was sub par in comparison to other classes. although, I was stacking armpen, crit and power on my char, well mainly armpen, and it didnt seem like i could do much damage even though I know I played it to perfection in PVP domination arena. for example, a lvl17rogue did more damage to me than I did to him while I was lvl19 fighting 1on1 with him. my gear was fine, but again I had stacked about 300armpen, so I wonder if the stat is actually meant for PvE. the skills are nice, they seem a lot like an arms warrior from WoW, with the leap charge, roar, aoe, bladestorm. aside from that I am 2.6k rated on wow best pvp realm and I did do the theory craft a bit on the GWF so all in all I feel like GWF is lacking damage output and seems to be the "weakling" class in pvp. just my 2cents. would love to hear some other thoughts on that regard.
  • Options
    phaeriusphaerius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    dwyvyrn316 wrote: »

There was a club from clock tower, not sure about anything higher, swapped back to swords and capped out at 27.
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jasbins wrote: »
    umad bro?
    GWF do NOT seems strong at PVP, but he is the most strong class PVE
    OFC, the GF uses half potions because he is more "tanky", but on the other side, the GWF kills faster (aoe dmg) and inflicts more damage.
    buuut, another detail, you have to know how to build your GWF, build damage and damage and damage, and if you can, more damage, 18str at start, get more str each 10 lvls, be an half-orc.

the rogue may outdamage in 1v1, but as someone said earlier in this post, rogue is the PVP class.

I dont even know where to begin with these lies.....

GWF does not use less potions than rogue, rogue has stealth and kills things so fast they dont need to ever use potions, and they even have the clone if that doesnt work for some reason

GWF is the worst pve AND pvp class, they have less damage than rogue and take way more hits than cleric/GF/CW, GWF does less damage than TANK class against single targets AND grouped mobs

GWF class is the worst of the worst, anyone who picks this class is going to be ignored by the rest of the playerbase, as this class is the most unfinished of all the classes and most undesirable

GWF class does nothing best, and does everything the worst, there's not one thing this class does that makes it shine, dont make me laugh at "aoe damage" as GWF has the worst aoe damage in the game and is outdamaged by Cleric
  • Options
    thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think its about people figuring out how to play ...my gwf was second or first damage in every group I had second only to the occasional rogue ... I did not find him to be gimp in pvp either . its about positioning and timing to maximize number of targets hit with the correct attack.

if your running around attacking single targets the rogue is going to stomp you in the ground dps . however on a large group of enemies bunched up gwf with rise to the top

the role as I see it is off tank aoe damage ...not dps or tank

as far as build goes I tried to get as much power, crit, and armor pen as I could not favoring any specific stat

I did have the 200 or 400 power ,cant remember which, blue howling greatsword I think it was, cost 10 lion seals
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ^ not true at all

when mobs are grouped up, GWF's damage gets cut in half, whill rogue can continue to do his full amount of damage, so any talks of GWF being some AoE nuker is just wrong, ive played GWF up to 50 and their aoe damage was subpar the entire time, because every extra enemy you hit lowers your damage by half, this coupled with the fact they attack the slowest out of all the classes makes this class just pitfull for damage, and also really squishy in combat aswell

any other class who isent a braindead monkey will out damage you, rogues can mash buttons in groups of enemies and still out dps you, there's a reason they are geting nerfs
  • Options
    thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    lol how can u say its not true . the set up I had increased my damage by 3 % x 5 hits maxing out at +15 % damage when hitting more than 3 enemies .... your "facts" are wrong im sorry .. this every enemy you hit lowers your damage you mention only applys to certain attacks
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    im not saying you didn't have an awful time with the great fighter ...but that was not my experience at all. I don't know your play style and you don't know mine so its hard to say what made the difference.
  • Options
    zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Curious, asked in another thread but got no response.
    For GWF are you guys considering any points spent in DEX for it's %Crit or simply stacking STR/CON?
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    im think I went str /dex ...but im pretty sure con gives a bonus to armor pen the devs said somewhere that they felt it needed a little extra umph

just based on past experience if I wanted to be more of an off tank I would go con and if I wanted to do as much damage as possible go dex ...but im not an expert

im sorry, it was resistance ignored not armor pen for con
This discussion has been closed.