test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Great Weapon Fighter worst class

Comments

• zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    im think I went str /dex ...but im pretty sure con gives a bonus to armor pen the devs said somewhere that they felt it needed a little extra umph

just based on past experience if I wanted to be more of an off tank I would go con and if I wanted to do as much damage as possible go dex ...but im not an expert

Thx, I haven't had a chance to try anything out yet but will be trying a Str/Con and a Str/Dex build in BW4.
    If anything just for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and giggles.:cool:
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    good luck, I personally had a lot of fun with this class

daily. avalanche of steel <====old school final fantasy dragoon style ftw
    encounters. charge .roar and mighty leap sometimes take down instead of mighty leap
    at will. wicked strikes for multiple targets and sure strike for single

worked for me I made it to lev 34 so above that things may change http://nwowiki.co/index.php?title=Great_Weapon_Fighter this link has the skills and stuff :)
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    I dont even know where to begin with these lies.....

GWF does not use less potions than rogue, rogue has stealth and kills things so fast they dont need to ever use potions, and they even have the clone if that doesnt work for some reason

GWF is the worst pve AND pvp class, they have less damage than rogue and take way more hits than cleric/GF/CW, GWF does less damage than TANK class against single targets AND grouped mobs

GWF class is the worst of the worst, anyone who picks this class is going to be ignored by the rest of the playerbase, as this class is the most unfinished of all the classes and most undesirable

GWF class does nothing best, and does everything the worst, there's not one thing this class does that makes it shine, dont make me laugh at "aoe damage" as GWF has the worst aoe damage in the game and is outdamaged by Cleric

I really don't know how many potions rogues use, the only comparison I have was in the solo fight against Captain Kayliss. I barely used any and the rogue I know blew through about 40.

The thing about GWF is how mobile it is. This goes for both PvP and PvE. I stacked defense as my main stat followed by armor pen., when combined with the mobility of the GWF, I felt pretty **** survivable. Plus, even stacking defense I was never beaten in total damage in a dungeon. I have no doubt a rogue can do more single target dps though.

In PvP, I thought the GWF performed well, but I have to state I have no experience 40+ with it since a game never popped in that bracket and I also only have experience with a cleric to compare performance against.

I felt the GWF had the right amount of control, damage, and mobility to perform well. I'd put them in the second tier of pvp classes with the first tier consisting of rogues and wizards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • llelowyn13llelowyn13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zurkhon wrote: »
    Curious, asked in another thread but got no response.
    For GWF are you guys considering any points spent in DEX for it's %Crit or simply stacking STR/CON?

Put all your points into Charisma, so you can walk around with that debonairnes smile and make ladies swoon.
    "A True Friend Stabs You in the Front."
    ~Oscar Wilde~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Look at what the Great Weapon Fighter can do, he's so OP!"
    ~Andy Velasquez~
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    llelowyn13 wrote: »
    Put all your points into Charisma, so you can walk around with that debonairnes smile and make ladies swoon.

OMG soo cool!
    My FEMALE half-orc can be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and wear a pink equal sign on her cloak showing support for Equality!! huzzah! :rolleyes:
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • djleberdjleber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i agree the healing strike needs to be buffed massively, and he can feel clunky due to slow attacks but i pvp'd with him on BW3 and was near the top every time. he might have a learning curve people arent used to but he does do the damage, i dont think hes underpowered. the only class that was above me when PVPing was rogue, which is kinda of expected as everyone has stated the rogue is a bit OP right now
  • sendriensendrien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The GWF is absolutely not a bad class. Key things to realize about the GWF: it is a Defender class and it goes about this role differently than does the Guardian Fighter.

There is more detail and discussion about this concept in this thread.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?119061-The-GWF-as-a-Mobile-Defender-quot-Who-Needs-a-Shield-when-my-Sword-is-Bigger-than-Me!-quot
    The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is.
  • roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    sendrien wrote: »
    The GWF is absolutely not a bad class. Key things to realize about the GWF: it is a Defender class and it goes about this role differently than does the Guardian Fighter.

There is more detail and discussion about this concept in this thread.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?119061-The-GWF-as-a-Mobile-Defender-quot-Who-Needs-a-Shield-when-my-Sword-is-Bigger-than-Me!-quot

um lol no. and another huge no. It does NOT matter that someone tried to make a post for the GWF to be defence. it is NOT defence. even alllll the skills posted in this very incoirrect 'defence' thread are not defence. being immune for 3 seconds while going crazy in the middle of multi mobs is NOT a defence skill for a defence charater.
    people are not going by "how the gwf has been advertized' people are going by what they played and the skill list .
    the GWF is a great damage dealer. I had a great time and kicked major%$# with him in pve and pvp as has been said by many here. the GWF puts out crazy dps and I way outdid rogues in all the dungeon runs we did. hence the multi targets,,, as it should be.
    The class is fine just how it is. it does not need help it works near perfect. it is a damage dealing class . it is NOT a defence class and it is not a very good off tank at all unless you put all your points just into the survival lines . which is kinda stupid to do when one picks a damage dealing class.
  • thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    um lol no. and another huge no. It does NOT matter that someone tried to make a post for the GWF to be defence. it is NOT defence. even alllll the skills posted in this very incoirrect 'defence' thread are not defence. being immune for 3 seconds while going crazy in the middle of multi mobs is NOT a defence skill for a defence charater.
    people are not going by "how the gwf has been advertized' people are going by what they played and the skill list .
    the GWF is a great damage dealer. I had a great time and kicked major%$# with him in pve and pvp as has been said by many here. the GWF puts out crazy dps and I way outdid rogues in all the dungeon runs we did. hence the multi targets,,, as it should be.
    The class is fine just how it is. it does not need help it works near perfect. it is a damage dealing class . it is NOT a defence class and it is not a very good off tank at all unless you put all your points just into the survival lines . which is kinda stupid to do when one picks a damage dealing class.

I didn't really see his post as saying the gwf is only defensive , seem like he just had a defensive build...I played for damage with mine he went more def. build ....nothing wrong with either way

and I think it was aimed more toward people who were saying it was the worst class for damage and def. which is just not true

there are a lot of ways to spec differently and cater to different play styles. just because its not how you do it doesn't mean its wrong , just different
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I didn't really see his post as saying the gwf is only defensive , seem like he just had a defensive build...I played for damage with mine he went more def. build ....nothing wrong with either way

and I think it was aimed more toward people who were saying it was the worst class for damage and def. which is just not true

there are a lot of ways to spec differently and cater to different play styles

It does have a good mix of mitigation and damage output. Rogue is single target, the GWF shines at AoE and has some burst ST ability.

As far as a main tank... I honestly think that won't work. He might off-tank some adds, but he's not going to mitigate spike damage sufficiently to live through a group encounter at higher levels.

Granted, this was beta, and everything can change before release.
    edited April 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    It does have a good mix of mitigation and damage output. Rogue is single target, the GWF shines at AoE and has some burst ST ability.

As far as a main tank... I honestly think that won't work. He might off-tank some adds, but he's not going to mitigate spike damage sufficiently to live through a group encounter at higher levels.

Granted, this was beta, and everything can change before release.

I agree , I personally don't see it as a main tank at all ....but off tank and/or aoe damage dealer
  • steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For what it matters: In BW3 I created a Half Orc GWF with my hubby making a cleric dwarf to team with me. In Skirmishes and in Dungeons I -always- pulled highest Damage dealt, thanks to ignoring Reaping Strike completely and swapping between Wicked and Sure Strike based on whether I was fighting one to three enemies or four or more enemies.

Marking enemies became my favorite thing to do, simply because my character looked fantastic holding that greatsword off to one side in one hand, tilting back her head, and ROARING like a lion, before that heavy blade came down in wide arcs.

I never got to the point of dragging enemies to me, and favored the Stomp Daily over the whirlwind or the dragoon leap. Because it dealt decent damage without locking me into an animation, so I could keep landing hits with Wicked and Sure Strike, which coincidentally briefly stop enemies in their tracks, meaning they stayed within my stomp aoe longer.

I will play the GWF as my "Main" character (insomuch as an altoholic like me can even -have- a main character), because it is a train. Once you've got the steam built up, very little can stop you.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    screenshot2013032821473.jpg
    steampunky wrote: »
    Marking enemies became my favorite thing to do, simply because my character looked fantastic holding that greatsword off to one side in one hand, tilting back her head, and ROARING like a lion, before that heavy blade came down in wide arcs.

I like Marking enemies too, but mostly because it looks awesome when against huge enemies like fire giants.
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i like the fluff behind the class, but as it stands right now, there is just no rational reason to take the gwf for any type of gameplay youre looking for:

single player: i tested all classes and the gwf burns through potions like no other...other classes can either absorb more damage or get hit less often meaning that the gwf is the most "expensive" class and therefore the least attractive for single players - especially freeloaders...

groups: in a dungeon, the damage output from rogues is usually up to 1/3 higher than the one from gwf, so there isnt any reason to prefer gwf as strikers over rogues in your party

pvp: as it has been shown, gwf are one of the least favored classes for pvp - lower damage than rogues, especially single target and very slow/clumsy...

i think its fine if a class lacks in one area and excels in others, thats the way it should be... but as it stands right now i simply dont see any point in taking up a gwf... if i want a dps class i go rogue, if i want a good solo class i go guardian fighter...
    edited April 2013
    i like the fluff behind the class, but as it stands right now, there is just no rational reason to take the gwf for any type of gameplay youre looking for:

single player: i tested all classes and the gwf burns through potions like no other...other classes can either absorb more damage or get hit less often meaning that the gwf is the most "expensive" class and therefore the least attractive for single players - especially freeloaders...

groups: in a dungeon, the damage output from rogues is usually up to 1/3 higher than the one from gwf, so there isnt any reason to prefer gwf as strikers over rogues in your party

pvp: as it has been shown, gwf are one of the least favored classes for pvp - lower damage than rogues, especially single target and very slow/clumsy...

i think its fine if a class lacks in one area and excels in others, thats the way it should be... but as it stands right now i simply dont see any point in taking up a gwf... if i want a dps class i go rogue, if i want a good solo class i go guardian fighter...

I had a completely different experience from yours , perhaps the gwf just isn't for you ..and Im not bashing you , everyone plays differently and has different talents . the only reason I reply is because there are 2 sides to this story ...i don't think anyone in this thread is just making stuff up or lying ..i think some people had an affinity for the way this particular class plays and did it successfully and other didn't .....i played through lev 34 , i never died ..and i didn't have a problem with potions , or id scrolls for that matter but that's a different thread , in groups i was usually first on damage or second just behind the rogue , and had plenty of fun and kills in pvp didn't feel gimp at all .your not the only person who had a bad time with this class ..but im not the only person who had a great time
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    well i dont say its a bad class, im saying for any roll there is a class that is better than the gwf...and if rogues under-damage you in pvp or a dungeon, it simply means the rogue was very bad...i either didnt say the class is solo not playable or that you die to much, i said you use a lot more potions with the gwf than with alternatives and that therefore other classes are more solo friendliy, also looking at cost.
    edited April 2013
    i would disagree ..in the roll of off tanking the gwf does great if played correctly ...and given your logic that i played with only bad rogues ..how do you know that you didn't happen to play with very good rogues? now if your talking single target dps then yes the rogue will beat a gwf every time .. but if your positioning yourself and maximizing number of mobs hit with the proper feat equipped you will see the gwf damage numbers rise
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    GF is better at getting, maintaining, and surviving aggro on single-mobs (like bosses) than any other char, and GWF is better at getting and maintaining aggro on packs of mobs (like the annoying spawns of all bosses) than any other char. Survivability isn't as good as the GF, but better than any other class. Sprinting is really nice for closing on mobs or re-arranging a large pack of them to get into optimal striking position.
  • tacc4990tacc4990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Only GWF's that aren't very good and/or don't understand their class very well are WAY under rogues on damage. I've seen a few real good GWF's that have no problems at all out damaging rogues in dungeons. Their AoE is without a doubt superior and most dungeons look like they're a bunch of AoE. The class is fine and plenty of people will play it I guarantee it.
  • zothimuszothimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I played GWF to lvl 30 in beta 3 and at the start things were a bit slow probably until lvl 10 or so. After level 10 I noticed the amount of damage I was dealing increased. My only small complaint with the GWF was once I began to swing my sword in an attack it seemed like I had to wait to finish the attack before I could attempt to sprint to dodge an incoming attack. The sprint also seemed a little difficult to get to pull off successfully when I would double hit a directional button. Other classes seemed to be able to roll/teleport/dash to dodge even in the middle of an attack. This may also be my need to get better at dodging attacks and not just pounding the left mouse button (lol). Overall a fun class, a good CC/off tank in a group setting, a little slow but a lot of damage once that big 2hander gets swinging. I will definitely roll another GWF!
    I'M Fist of the Northstar

If you're that eager to die I'll oblige you

Tell Ken(shiro) I'll be at the grave of our father, Ryokin
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I don't see it still either i'm grouping with the most god awful GWF's out there or i'm a **** rogue savant but i've yet to have a GWF come close to my rogues dmg in grouping events, haven't even come within 100k of my total dmg. lol man i need to group up with some good GWF's so we can smash face at an alarming rate.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The damage has been tweaked. I'm doing a lot less damage with my AoE strikes and Recovering Strike (main ST DPS) appears to have been reduced in damage by a good 20%.
  • byteboy111byteboy111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love the GWF how he is now. I plow through mobs pretty fast and hardly ever die, I don't see a need at all to increase their power. I know everyone wants to melt mobs faster and faster but there is this thing called balance you know.
  • aurolieenaurolieen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started this beta weekend and so far I have leveled a Trickster Rogue, a Devoted Cleric and a Great Weapon Fighter to level 10.
    I almost ran out of potions on the GWF. Being locked into something seems to harm the GWF a whole lot more than the other two classes.
    Damage taken in this case, is a direct correlation to not being able to kill things fast enough.
    I'm not a 100% sure, but I had the feeling I could kill things quicker on my cleric than on my gwf. Of course the trickster rogue does the damage of both combined, but that is for another thread.

I have no experience on the higher levels, so it could very much be that gwf scales a lot better when you get higher level.
    But I think that gwf could get a boost on the lower levels. It just doesn't quite do it at the moment and new players will probably see that and switch to another class.

Thought I'd throw my newbie experiences of the class here. :)
    Sehanine's will be done!
    Lawful - Neutral
  • sahithasahitha Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GWF is the best class for me...
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    sahitha wrote: »
    GWF is the best class for me...

Yeah yeah, me too! Don't play TR everyone, play GWF! It is much better!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rockxoonrockxoon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    Yeah yeah, me too! Don't play TR everyone, play GWF! It is much better!

yes, GWF!!!! more dmg, more fun, ruler in pvp and pve, and easy to play 2, oh wait that IS the TR .
  • iamzelpexiamzelpex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GWF needs a buff :(
  • kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    don't see it yet, GWF should outdmg my rogue, and still hasn't happened on BW4 yet not by a longshot. like i said i'm either getting grouped with terribad GWF players or that class needs a serious buff in dmg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • timm4444timm4444 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 363
    edited April 2013
    kharnagex wrote: »
    don't see it yet, GWF should outdmg my rogue, and still hasn't happened on BW4 yet not by a longshot. like i said i'm either getting grouped with terribad GWF players or that class needs a serious buff in dmg.

they are just terrabads. . .;)
This discussion has been closed.