test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

IMHO Trickster Rogue Way too Overpowered..

sinoraisinorai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited November 2014 in The Thieves' Den
so i've started playing devoted Cleric.. wasn't that difficult to play.. although getting mobs killed was quite tricky, since i had to heavily rely on CC's.. when playing cleric i initially went full power and only choose items that would raise my power.. it didn't work out.. anyways... i got to lvl 22 before i started a new class..

i started a trickster rogue.. halfling.. very fun class to play.. buuut.. waaaay too overpowered.. crit over 1k.. and avg dmg was around 300-500.. at lvl 11-12... that's way more than my cleric at lvl 20+.. dunno if it was just my trickster rogue that got waaay too lucky on items,.. or my cleric that was unfortunate with items.. either way.. imho.. way to much of a difference...

on a sidenote.. being a healer in dungeons is HARD!!.. with no targeting system... make skills heal the ones with lowest? or chain heals that heals the lowest and then jumps to the 2nd lowest.. also dunno if guardian fighters have lots of taunts but it most certanly felt like i as a cleric was the tank... or just me being unfortunate and grouped with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> tanks.. dunno..

just my opinions.. correct me i'f i'm wrong.. and please don't flame.. ^^
Post edited by sinorai on

Comments

• mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    What do you suggest? Nerf em to the ground? Their suppose to do heavy dps to single targets, and in turn are squishier. In dungeons it's easy to get 2 shot if you don't play smart, and their a potion guzzler past lvl 30 if your soloing.
  • prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think it's a little closer to the truth that Clerics are a bit underpowered when solo, rather than Rogues being too powerful.

Rogues are fantastic in short fights where they can utilize stealth heavily. On tougher mobs where stealth isn't up a lot, they become very fragile. They can suffer a bit when there's a lot of mobs, too. This starts happening around level 25 (Neverdeath Graveyard had some very challenging fights for me).

Clerics have better AOE and utility. I'm hoping they address the threat and self-healing issues introduced this beta.

I think direct healing is supposed to be hard. That's why Clerics have so many secondary healing effects. Astral Seal is awesome, as is Divinity: Forgemaster's Flame. The cleric is meant to reduce the effect of regular damage, while burst damage is meant to be managed by avoiding it and/or drinking potions when needed.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It takes a bit of getting used to healing in an action MMO, but it gets easy after awhile.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sweetsugarssweetsugars Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't know about you but i was lvl 15 and my normal attacks were from 60~90... so i think they are OP...
    in the end i think you are misreading combat log.
  • evilrogue1evilrogue1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The rogue is far from over powered. In a 1 on 1 situation with a mob I can own them but get groups of them and it is more challenging as it should be. We are DPS pure and simple but we are squishy and as prunetracy pointed out neverdeath graveyard really emphasizes that point fast. That area was very challenging as a TR.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    As a cleric, I solo'd fine last beta, but the -50% heal on self debuff they added this time make things a lot harder. I regularly grouped with 2 rogues, and although their single target dps is pretty insane, I could easily do more damage when it came to AEs. Heal agro was crazy this beta, too... but I hope that's all stuff that gets worked out.

Also, sometimes when you see a huge number, it's the total combined damage you've done to that mob in your current chain - pretty sure rogues attack faster than clerics, too.
  • jkap92jkap92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I played control wizard, GWF, and rogue all to level 20+ this weekend.

Rogue is by far the strongest DPS class right now, without question... Leveling was infinitely easier and faster on my rogue. I thinK i was level 5 and finished with the first zone and first instance with only 7 minutes played... It was ridiculous... I made a separate thread about this but to sum balance up right now:

Rogue's damage is too high and its survivabiltiy is actually arguably better than Control Wizard or GWF. I would say GWF has slightly more survivability and CW has slightly less. Damage output on the rogue, however, is without a doubt higher than GWF and CW. Bait and switch provides A TON of survivability particularly at lower levels, and once you get stealth you become virtually unkillable. This doesn't change at higher levels according to the higher level rogues I've talked to. Stealth is just extremely strong and with the right abilities can be maintained very easily.

Great weapons fighter should be the standard for balance in my opinion as it felt the most balanced to play. I think rogue really needs a damage reduction on its at will ability.

Control Wizard is the weakest DPS class in my opinion. The raw damage of the CW is the lowest of the three classes and it also has the lowest survivability in my opinion. CW CC is still quite weak, dazing strike is an infinitely better ability than any CC the CW has, the durations are just too low for it to compensate for the low DPS of the class. That said, CW is already a strong PvP class so CC durations should not be increased much in my opinion if at all.

In short these are the changes I think this game needs:

Rogue: Nerf the melee at-will abilities damage by 15% to start with and see how it plays. It's ok for rogues to have high burst from dailies and encounters, I think rogue is supposed to be a bursty class, but the auto attack damage is currently way too high and gives the rogue ridiculous sustained DPS. Couple this with the fact that you can use at-wills while in stealth and you get an insanely strong class.

Control Wizard: Buff damage across the board on all abilities by 15-20% and see how it plays. Keep CC durations more or less where they are at, perhaps some small buffs could be used on some abilities. Nerf the dodge mechanic so that it takes 50% of stamina to blink. CW's can kite melee classes too easily right now because blink can be used I think 4 times before running out of stamina, couple that with the CC and even with multiple gap closers for encounter abilities melee classes won't be able to keep up.

GWF: Keep it the way it is. Possibly reduce the stamina cost of sprinting slightly.
  • zaketrinzaketrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Rogue is a striker. Cleric is a leader. Mage is a controller. Fighter is a defender. Compairing dps is an improper way to evaluate the 4 classes. I could just as easily post that a rogue is underpowered at healing while the cleric is overpowered. Each class has a role. Compairing dps, healing, damage mitigation, and crowd control can lead to erronious conclusions.
    Enjoy the type of character you want to play. Just be careful when making compairisons.
  • roadkillaroadkilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i played a rogue to lvl 41 and they are pretty good but not op at higher lvls you die alot or barely get by while drinking potions like a drunk.
    rogue is the only dps class so far so ya it's supposed to do the best dps derp.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    At the higher levels, stealth is often not enough and then the rogue's squishiness really becomes evident. They're supposed to do more damage than clerics, since clerics can HEAL. Apples, oranges. Also at higher levels, the Bait and Switch shadow-clone lasts all of 1.3 seconds before it gets murdered by foes.
  • maiku217maiku217 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jkap92 wrote: »
    Rogue's damage is too high and its survivabiltiy is actually arguably better than Control Wizard or GWF. I would say GWF has slightly more survivability and CW has slightly less. Damage output on the rogue, however, is without a doubt higher than GWF and CW. Bait and switch provides A TON of survivability particularly at lower levels, and once you get stealth you become virtually unkillable. This doesn't change at higher levels according to the higher level rogues I've talked to. Stealth is just extremely strong and with the right abilities can be maintained very easily.

I have a level 40 rouge and I can tell you that Bait & Switch is useless when there are 5+ mobs on it, literally lasts 1 second. The usage of stealth is as you said overpowered in pve but however, when you want to go pvp, pretty much 90% of the skill points you've invested will be required to be changed because stealth is nearly completely useless in pvp.. switching those abilities would cost a fortune..
    ElfenLiedSig.gif
  • sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The being able to do lots of damage, is kinda the point of dps class,
    if rogues try to tank they end up dead...
    is this serious, comparing a cleric to a rogue?
    They're supposed to be good at different things,
    the rogue good at damage and the cleric good at support
    Rogues wouldn't be a dps class if they couldn't do high damage, that's the whole point
  • wakawikawakawika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited March 2013
    I dont think Rogue is OP, they are doing their jobs, heavy meele DPS assassins.

The problem here is not the rogue but the Cleric, they which cant do their healing jobs, not to mention other classes like GF who cant do their aggro jobs (specialy when a cleric is on the party) and CW that cant CC/control the mobs as it should(thought they were finaly buffed this BW).

So if you see, the Rogue isnt OP, the other classes are just too **** weak on their jobs.
    braxzana wrote: »
    At the higher levels, stealth is often not enough and then the rogue's squishiness really becomes evident. They're supposed to do more damage than clerics, since clerics can HEAL.

thats the sad part...Clerics CANT heal for sht..
  • c00litc00lit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think it’s impossible to tell about any class until you reach the cap and get gear.
  • mattperfectmattperfect Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think this class is actually perfectly balanced. Fights do get tougher as the game goes along, you don't faceroll every single time. They have good offensive and defensive options because they're the squishy melee class and all of it is active, if you don't use your stealth/teleport/dodge rolls/clone appropriately, you will get clobbered in tough fights, they're not tanks.

Comparison to the cleric isn't really good right now because clerics are full on broken bad.
  • hotcuppahotcuppa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't think playing to lvl 20 or so is an indication of a OP class. Its too early to tell plus survivability is an issue especially in instances from what I could tell at 28, was chugging health pots to stay over half HP.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Played a Trickster Rogue to level 35 (completed zones up to and including Helm's Hold) and a Control Wizard to 50 (completed all zones available).

TR felt like "Faceroll to Win" compared to CW. Bait and Switch alone was almost always enough to let me get my cleric companion back on her feet if she had gone down. And if she was standing, I had little to worry about since either she or the shadow clone was taking the hits instead of me (while letting me deal Combat Advantage damage). While that may change with some of the level 40-50 stuff, I don't think the TR is anywhere near as fragile as the CW. They have aproximately the same HP from what I could tell and the TR has better Deflect (from Dex and Feats) which also increases survivability.

One thing I did notice was an unlisted target cap on several CW encounter powers, seemed to be a general max 5 targets for those not in the Mastery slot. On the other hand, my CW could usually fire off a daily at the start of a battle with random trash mobs and have the AP bar ready again before the last enemy dropped without actively trying to do so (other than cast the Steal Time encounter power).

TR could probably use a minor nerf to AoE damage, but other than that I have no simple solutions to make the classes feel more balanced in solo/teams when considering durability and damage potential (both single target and AoE).
  • coyotedeltacoyotedelta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    What do you suggest? Nerf em to the ground? Their suppose to do heavy dps to single targets, and in turn are squishier. In dungeons it's easy to get 2 shot if you don't play smart, and their a potion guzzler past lvl 30 if your soloing.

They may be able to do a ton of damage to single targets, but their speed and ability to switch targets on the fly means they're just as good when it comes to doing splash damage. Even some of their "single target" moves hit multiple mobs.
  • zerokiller019zerokiller019 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    if trickster should'nt not got high damage because they is like DPS/damage per-second if crit i dont mind but the lvl 11~12 power over 500 is too high for DPS this will make a BIG change in PvP because it has too high damage,high DPS and High Critical...
  • sneakycheesessneakycheeses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    sinorai wrote: »
    so i've started playing devoted Cleric.. wasn't that difficult to play.. although getting mobs killed was quite tricky, since i had to heavily rely on CC's.. when playing cleric i initially went full power and only choose items that would raise my power.. it didn't work out.. anyways... i got to lvl 22 before i started a new class..

i started a trickster rogue.. halfling.. very fun class to play.. buuut.. waaaay too overpowered.. crit over 1k.. and avg dmg was around 300-500.. at lvl 11-12... that's way more than my cleric at lvl 20+.. dunno if it was just my trickster rogue that got waaay too lucky on items,.. or my cleric that was unfortunate with items.. either way.. imho.. way to much of a difference...

on a sidenote.. being a healer in dungeons is HARD!!.. with no targeting system... make skills heal the ones with lowest? or chain heals that heals the lowest and then jumps to the 2nd lowest.. also dunno if guardian fighters have lots of taunts but it most certanly felt like i as a cleric was the tank... or just me being unfortunate and grouped with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> tanks.. dunno..

just my opinions.. correct me i'f i'm wrong.. and please don't flame.. ^^
    Average hits were around 180-200 at level 18. Rarely would I crit near 1k. Don't exaggerate, bro.
    Brodicus - 60 Trickster Rogue - Dragon
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    the trickser should be toned down, people complain about the game being too easy, well thats because trickster rogues can kill bosses in 5 seconds with crits, none of the other dps classes can even compare

sure, they should do high single target damage, but not that much, if you went by this logic give my cleric a 20,000 point heal because im a healer, make my guardian fighter have 500,000 health at level 1 because im a tank, their has to be limits

for the health of the game, tone their damage down, the other classes feel right but rogue feels overtuned
  • zaketrinzaketrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Trickster rogue is the only dps (striker) class in the game
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its irrelvant that they are a striker or not, they are overtuned and trivialize the content
  • sneakycheesessneakycheeses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    bejita231 wrote: »
    Its irrelvant that they are a striker or not, they are overtuned and trivialize the content
    You might be exaggerating a bit. They may be slightly overpowered, but not so much that you can just steamroll every fight. You still have to pick and choose accordingly.
    Brodicus - 60 Trickster Rogue - Dragon
    edited March 2013
    none of the other dps classes can even compare

That was the reason for my post on the rogue being the only striker. But, since you brought up a good point, lets take it through the other classes:

Nerf clerics, they heal better than any other class
    Nerf fighters, they mitigate damage better than any other class
    Nerf mages, they have better crowd control that other classes.

My point is, each of the 4 classes have strengths and weaknesses. Comparing them against a single criteria can only lead to erroneous conclusions.

The rogue's role is dps. The character is fine.
  • melbeleanmelbelean Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I spent the past two betas playing the TR most of the time and got up to 30. I'm not sure I'd say the dps was too OP since that's their role and they should be doing more than other classes. I do know that if I didn't kill quick, the fight would turn south on my real quick. Having a cleric companion helped as they would heal and pull agro when I used bait and switch allowing me to get combat advantage. I noticed a big difference when my companion was training though. Now I was solo and I really had to pick my fights against normal mobs otherwise I would get overwelmed and need to use pots to get through a fight.

Against boss fights, stealth was king as long as your stealth chain was up. If I missed and lost stealth, I found myself drinking pots like a bum drink booze until I could try my chains again and go stealth.

My point is, they do a lot of damage, but they take a lot of damage in return as well. The changes to the cleric this past beta is a whole other matter.
  • kimoy8520kimoy8520 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    TR is hard solo. Especially mobs in this game form in groups and taking damage is inevitable (especially when u lag :p). Good damage but weak.
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    TR was easiest class I played.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • hotcuppahotcuppa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Add to the mix that you outleveled your quests already and are fighting mobs 3 or 4 levels higher than you. Then go alone without a companion in any lvl 27 zone, dont pot and see what happens.... against groups of mobs you will be fighting for your life. Even with all you skills off refresh a mob of 4 enemies poses a threat. If you live feel free to come back and moan about rogues being OP.

That was my experiance over the beta weekend - didnt bother with bait and switch just watched my pot timer and reveled in challenge.
  • number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You're kidding right? Looking at the battle results of a dungeon, I as a rogue, have the highest damage but in kill counts I'm in the middle (except one dungeon where I managed to kill a couple more than the next person down). My role is to soften up big targets and try and take care as many adds as I can. Without my big damage numbers, Mister Cleric, you'd be swarmed with more adds than someone logging into AOL (circa 1998). Just the same, Mister Cleric, I'm probably taking more damage than my fragile frame was meant for and in real pain but it's okay cause your group heals are keeping me alive. Without you, I'd be pushing up daises (or whatever it is the kids are pushing up these days).

Looking at the battle results of a PVP match I do pretty good. Like in the dungeon I get the highest damage, but I'm also the squishiest. In a toe-to-toe fight with a fighter the fighter is going to whittle me down while I'm having trouble breaking through his armor (good thing I don't go toe-to-toe when I can just throw daggers or hit him in the back), Clerics have the next best defense and if people are smart they'll make sure annoying little rogues are swatted away from him like mosquitoes in a cook off (and the Cleric is the chef), and Wizards...well I don't talking about Wizards (**** dirty <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> making me into a humanoid pinata. I'M NOT FULL OF CANDY, ******).

So in short Rogues are not over powered. Hell, Trickster Rogues aren't even the heaviest damage dealing rogue. Wait till they add Brawny Rogues.

EDIT: I find it funny that "****" is censored but not "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>". Also apparently "*******" is censored.
This discussion has been closed.