test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter worst class

piku247piku247 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvE Discussion
Well this class sucks in pvp when have to be in front, die first and most time. No stun/frezze skills just stay and wait for die. Seriously this class cant be slower than actually is. Even his attacks aren't powerfull... this is a great weapon fighter for god's sake not a turtle...
Post edited by piku247 on

Comments

• Options
    joypadgamerjoypadgamer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    GWF feels like a misguided puppy to me.

Rogues outdamage him.

GF outlive him.

He's the worst of both worlds.
  • Options
    atomarxxatomarxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah rogues are just way overpowered GWF kinda gimpy compaired to them and control wizards
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Between two aoe slows, good burst, and high mobility the class is actually fairly good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The class is good. It just takes a bit to get going.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I kinda think they need to increase hit attack speed by 50%.
    but i only played like 10 levels so.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    Of cause the GWF sucks in PvP its the PBAOE damage monster but who in PvP in going bunch up near the GWF?
    Note The Rogue rules because its the single target DPS monster and is meant to kill a single target fast.

In PvE the opposite is the case the mobs swarm us and the GWF can hit multiple targets and his effectiveness goes through the roof.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    Of cause the GWF sucks in PvP its the PBAOE damage monster but who in PvP in going bunch up near the GWF?
    Note The Rogue rules because its the single target DPS monster and is meant to kill a single target fast.

In PvE the opposite is the case the mobs swarm us and the GWF can hit multiple targets and his effectiveness goes through the roof.

The GWF does get an AOE pull, so there is that. Regardless though, GWF is highly mobile, has good burst, and can become CC immune. Good class overall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i have to say tough that every time in any group the best guardian always out dped the best gwf...always
  • Options
    lordkovenlordkoven Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i didnt like GWF either. he felt very slow and clunky. to futher frustrate me was that crappy healing strike, i had 1600 hp and i got 15 HP back, less then worthless
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought GWF Was fun. Sure he took a lot more healing as I leveled him up, but once I had the cleric companion he became a juggernaut. Rogue does more damage 1 on 1 than the GWF but GWF does AOE damage, which made for things dying rather nicely.

I was frustrated by the super rooting and lack of ability to get out of the way at times, so gave up entirely and just let my rent-o-cleric heal me. It helped when I decided that I was not supposed to avoid damage, i let the frustration go and just enjoyed hack and slash time.

Some skills do need tweaking though. It would be nice if the base attack did not Root you (for all classes) as well as the healing strike needs to heal more than it does. It is a nice 1vs1 hit damage wise, but heals for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    piku247piku247 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just played Guardian and i saw that i need 2x less potions in dungeons than GWF i have similar dps, longer stamina and better aoe's ^^
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    kotli wrote: »

i've said this argument in game a GWF does not in fact kill a group of mobs faster than a rogue, the DMG from the single target attacks and stealth basically i can kill a group of mobs and be moved on to and have half of a second group killed before the GWF is done with the first group. The GWF needs more dmg or faster attacks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kharnagexkharnagex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 211 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    piku247 wrote: »
    I just played Guardian and i saw that i need 2x less potions in dungeons than GWF i have similar dps, longer stamina and better aoe's ^^

yep playing my Guardian is funny because i out dmg in groups more so than the GWF. the class is bugged and those playing saying that they are fine aren't playing the other fighter or rogue and seeing how they are flawed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    lordkoven wrote: »
    i didnt like GWF either. he felt very slow and clunky. to futher frustrate me was that crappy healing strike, i had 1600 hp and i got 15 HP back, less then worthless

so far i've noticed it as well that ability is worthless for healing, and the attacks take so long that by the time a red circle, cone or whatever is about to hit you can't seem to get out of it cause you're in midswing by the time it shows up and is down before you can press the shift key and get out of there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vampiresorceressvampiresorceress Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So I pick the wrong class?
  • Options
    usodesuusodesu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    GWF seems underpowered but that is because it is a very late late bloomer.

imo gwf is overpowered in pve, round up 15 strong orcs for example use your invulnerability daily, use your tab skill and you can pound all that solo just pressing a pot 2 times, it is insane, then your bar of daily is half full after the tab skill wailing on that many mobs.

learning curve is pretty steep too and it only gets better after level 20...

i do agree that the healing on healing strike is fluffy , it crits quite often and quite hard too so that is a bonus
  • Options
    zionlythzionlyth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I had the opposite experience. I lvled a rogue to 20 in beta 2, and did the GWF in beta 3 and in the 4 clock towers I ran, I was 1st on dps in each of them, and sometimes by more than 20% from #2 (a rogue usually). The trick is to be the one clearing the extra spawn during boss fights (even though more often than not I ended up tanking the boss because I pulled him through damage agro).
  • Options
    jendrynjendryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 53
    edited March 2013
    The GWF is incredibly powerful, and likely the best DPSer at end game. They scale incredibly well, and do not bloom until you get the at-will Sure Strike at level 15 at the very earliest.

Once you hit level 50 and have the end Destroyer paragon talent, you're a wrecking ball on both single target and groups.

Just be patient with the class. It gets better later on, and is a whole lot of fun. You can't avoid the potion spam later on if you want to solo, but then again, no class can (including the rogue with some of the bigger packs where stealth falls before you can kill everything).

Edit: It does feel a trifle clunky, but so does the Guardian Fighter. I doubt that will change, though--some serious redesign would need to be added. Sprint is also the most useful dodge-like ability since it can be used in a variety of ways (although the wizard teleport comes close).
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    jendryn wrote: »
    The GWF is incredibly powerful, and likely the best DPSer at end game. They scale incredibly well, and do not bloom until you get the at-will Sure Strike at level 15 at the very earliest.

Once you hit level 50 and have the end Destroyer paragon talent, you're a wrecking ball on both single target and groups.

Just be patient with the class. It gets better later on, and is a whole lot of fun. You can't avoid the potion spam later on if you want to solo, but then again, no class can (including the rogue with some of the bigger packs where stealth falls before you can kill everything).

Edit: It does feel a trifle clunky, but so does the Guardian Fighter. I doubt that will change, though--some serious redesign would need to be added. Sprint is also the most useful dodge-like ability since it can be used in a variety of ways (although the wizard teleport comes close).

Did you get to level 50?

I got a bit side tracked doing pvp and didn't quite make it. I wanted to test that destroyer feat. It does seem GWF will be pigeon holed into going only the destroyer line. I can't see the tank line holding up at all compared to the GW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kittykaswickkittykaswick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I thought the same thing with mine until i hit 30 and the pvp got a lot better, i was doing a lot more damage and i could last a lot longer. Its really hard and not a good idea to make judgement on a class when you are low lvl but you see it all over. People get to lvl 10 or 15 and start on about nerf this or that when they havnt even seen what the class can do yet.
  • Options
    dieselbob3dieselbob3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Actually I went the tank line and loved it. I found myself to be more of an evasion style tank where the defense boost helped offset lack of block. So basically the regular hits by bosses that I did not catch on deflection did minimal damage but big hits i just double tap my sprint to exit the red area then use leap or taunt to bring the boss back to me. Despite the lack of shield I found the determination system basically makes you a beserker style tank and I also noticed I used a lot less heal potions than most my level while still maintaining an adequate amount of dps although it did not reach top end of destroyer, it was more than enough.
  • Options
    ladyrainladyrain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just as a curiosity, which stats did you choose for GWF at character creation? I went with high STR and DEX and average CON. Just wondering if people would rather have CON than DEX, and how much difference it might make to peak damage output through criticals.
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    People getting out damaged by rogues are you not using combat advantage? it's something rogues have to do, but all damage dealers should, you do get a damage boost too... I see way to many GWF charging off in front of tanks and end up having to tank the mobs and don't do half the damage they should be via being behind the mobs.

One dungeon I saw two great weapon fighters, one that ran off ahead of every one agroing everything while the other stood behind the mobs and ended up with 130k more damage than the other just because he stood behind the mobs. Edit: and yes they were both the same level as each other, not sure about gear however but over all it was about 40% more damage than the other GWF running off ahead.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    dieselbob3dieselbob3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ladyrain wrote: »
    Just as a curiosity, which stats did you choose for GWF at character creation? I went with high STR and DEX and average CON. Just wondering if people would rather have CON than DEX, and how much difference it might make to peak damage output through criticals.

I went with dwarf that had high str and con with average dex then as I leveled up I put points in str and con. I found it worked well for sentinel build but then again this is pretty hard to test with being beta and no good way to average out the mechanics for same exact build, race, etc... to see if 4 dex points makes a huge difference or not.
  • Options
    shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    jendryn wrote: »

Going to have to agree. I started out with a GWF for this BWE and got him to 19, and he didn't shine until he got Sure Strike which helps out DPS a lot. We all agree that Restoring Strike needs a definite buff to the healing it gives, which is 10% of the damage done. It however does great ST damage and I use it in PvP as a sure finisher. You get 2 dashes, the ability to sprint, Leap, and a Shout which not only pushes enemies back but interrupts any action they are currently taking, as well as a slight "paralyze" after being pushed back. Sneaky Rogues can still get you in PvP, but that's what saving Shout is for. As far as PvE goes, once you hit 16 and take a Cleric companion, it becomes extremely easy.

I ran Mighty Leap, Roar, and Restoring Strike for solo PvE. For feats, I chose Unstoppable Actions 4/5, Disciple of Strength and Endless Assault. Always spammed Roar to keep the constant Determination and in big groups, builds quite a bit of Determination. Taking damage however, built it much faster.

The class is slow to start, but in my own experience, it got much better once you get Sure Strike and a Cleric companion.
  • Options
    quickthornquickthorn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This weekend I mostly played cleric and GWF, both around to level 15 and in a duo playing the same class, simply because we both wanted to try them at the same time. Two clerics were mind-numbingly slow and with the self heal reduction less fun than last time. With two GWFs we burned through mobs fast, though I disliked Reaping Strike and so did he, because we were just taking hits without enough payoff compared with the left click skill. Restoring Strike felt like another why-bother, the heal was so weak. We enjoyed Mighty Leap once we got it.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    The GWF does get an AOE pull, so there is that. Regardless though, GWF is highly mobile, has good burst, and can become CC immune. Good class overall.

I only got the GWF up to 27 so I can't comment on levels higher than that, but I can say that really, the GWF is NOT a good pvp class. It doesn't have much in the way of it's own for CCing others. It can become CC immune but only for a very short amount of time, and it is quite slow to build up in a pvp environment. The damage GWF puts out is terrible for pvp, because as someone mentioned, they only really do a lot of damage when hitting multiple targets at the same time, not because any single hits they do are big. About the only really good strength they have for pvp is some decent mobility but this of course is tempered by the numerous amounts of knockbacks, roots, stuns, etc.

Right now I would put the GWF as the worst of all the classes in pvp. Clerics and mages have ranged attacks so at least they can get some hits in from distance, plus they have some roots/knockbacks to help keep that distance. Rogues have very high damage when they are on the target plus their disarms/silences and stealth to get in close or sneak away. Guardian Fighters have durability so they can take the heavy amount of punishment required to get in and do melee damage to the above classes. GWF can charge in, but doing so leads to either them getting ganged up on and destroyed quickly, or in a good case scenario they can do a little bit of damage before being knocked away/killed. They just don't have the single target damage necessary to really threaten the other classes, nor the tools to survive long enough to inflict it.
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    What a well done class. did you people complaining even play it? and that means 15+ at the least. I was topping dps charts in EVERY event. every instance run. The GWF is not slow. Are you one of those ignorant noobs that thinks a 6foot blade should swing like a dagger. lol. The GWF has great single target attack not just aoe. did you even read or use the skill you get at like 15th i thing that hits single targets harder and is 3 times as fast a attack? You complaining fools did NOT test.
  • Options
    bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I only played to level 13 but it was a riot.

Can only imagine how much fun a Barbarian will be once released.
  • Options
    misterfrenchiemisterfrenchie Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was very successful in pvp, dont know why so many are complaining about it. You have tons of mobility and good damage and decent survivability.
    Want to join a great gaming community? Check us out at www.grievanceguild.com
This discussion has been closed.