test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Late Night Heavy Roleplay Guild

Comments

• Options
    aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Premade background is just another thing that benefits the masses but does not hinder the enthusiast. There is still a dialog box to enter biography, or description. Background stories can still be posted to guild websites. A background story mostly benefits the player that is RPing a character as it sets the stage.
  • Options
    dreadsheparddreadshepard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tronc8463 wrote: »
    What do the RPer's think about the generic origin story? I guess you can work it into your back story. But for me I would have preferred a blank slate. Youtube Link around the 8min mark. Perhaps it's tied into so encounters/story lines.

I do like how they have the Biography section to allow you to flesh it out more. Wonder what the word count is on that space?

I agree, I'm planning to write a foundry mission that gives my main (Drow) a back story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.zinzerena.com
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Great! Since you brought it up...I'll ask this question to everyone interested. Do any of you have any experience in building storylines, whether it was in Neverwinter Nights, City of Heroes Architect or some other type of quest building system?

Not here, sadly. But as the Foundry was one of the key features that drew my attention, I'm planning on devoting a fair bit time to learning it. I love the idea of coming up with our own missions, puzzles, and traps! ;)
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • Options
    oldmanriver66oldmanriver66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you're looking for another player, I'm on the hunt for a medium to heavy (more heavy than medium) RP guild to let myself immerse in the game.

I'm an older player (in my 40s) and often play late eastern (sometimes until 3am... ouch!)

Please send me a note if you're still recruiting.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If you're looking for another player, I'm on the hunt for a medium to heavy (more heavy than medium) RP guild to let myself immerse in the game.

I'm an older player (in my 40s) and often play late eastern (sometimes until 3am... ouch!)

Please send me a note if you're still recruiting.

We most certainly are recruiting. As of yet, we don't have an official tally of members since we're still in the midst of forming and setting up the guild. This thread is to generate interest and to bring everyone who have the same schedule and interests in mind together. As the game heads into closed and open beta, the guild will get fleshed out more.

And don't worry, I'm in your age category so you won't be the only old person around. :)
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Once we get closer to launch and have decided on a concept and name, I'll be happy to volunteer to get a guild website up and running. I've done a few in the past and I know they can be a little daunting starting from scratch. Lately I've been liking the Enjoin.com set up, but I've seen and used other ones out there.
  • Options
    roblhoblroblhobl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey! I'm new to D&D, always wanted to get into it though. Neverwinter is my chance! If my lack of knowledge of FR lore isn't a problem, I'm very interested in joining you. I'm a good gamer, don't care for tryharding though. I have to write alot for my job(s), and in multiple languages, so I'm experienced in that whole story-thing, and love nothing more in the world. I agree on the "try out all aspects of the game" part, as well.
    Oh, and I've been in gaming guilds for a decade, even led one or two. What else... yes I'm over 18... and uh... I guess that's it. Drop me a line if you feel like it!

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Once we get closer to launch and have decided on a concept and name, I'll be happy to volunteer to get a guild website up and running. I've done a few in the past and I know they can be a little daunting starting from scratch. Lately I've been liking the Enjoin.com set up, but I've seen and used other ones out there.

Appreciate you volunteering.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    roblhobl wrote: »
    Hey! I'm new to D&D, always wanted to get into it though. Neverwinter is my chance! If my lack of knowledge of FR lore isn't a problem, I'm very interested in joining you. I'm a good gamer, don't care for tryharding though. I have to write alot for my job(s), and in multiple languages, so I'm experienced in that whole story-thing, and love nothing more in the world. I agree on the "try out all aspects of the game" part, as well.
    Oh, and I've been in gaming guilds for a decade, even led one or two. What else... yes I'm over 18... and uh... I guess that's it. Drop me a line if you feel like it!

Cheers

Glad to have you on board!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I've been thinking on the guild a bit and I have some thoughts I'd like to share. It seems most of you who are interested in the late night RP guild want a clean slate so that's what we will do.

When I first thought of this guild, I wanted it to be open and flexible enough that anyone could be able to join. But I also learned in the past that a good theme is also necessary to keep everyone together. The hard part is finding something that brings everyone together into a story and making them feel like they are making an impact while giving enough freedom to allow each to explore their characters in different ways.

I thought of a Harper like organization but one that was a bit more proactive. Good organizations tend to be reactive. "Oh, bad guy #1 has created some sort of doomsday device or has formed an army. We must stop it." I'd like to develop an organization that proactively hunts down and stops evil before it gets too powerful. The guild would be willing to do pre-emptive strikes or if the opportunity arises, suppressing evil before it blooms. Yes, this can create all sorts of ethical conflict between characters, which is something I'd like to see.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Heh, I like the idea for sure. Kinda makes me think of a Neverwinter Homeland Security type concept. - although maybe not something that militaristic. :D

Count me in! The proactive approach leaves a lot open for potential RP events. There could scouting missions, secret patrols, reconnaissance, and if events do reveal a threat, of course the possibility for staged encounter.

As someone who'd like to take advantage of the Foundry, there's a great potential here for custom built missions. Maybe even an initiation Foundry mission?
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think the guild being the local chapter of the Harpers is perfectly workable. Alternatively and more generically, what about a good ol' Adventurer's Guild?
  • Options
    aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I keep thinking this guild is shaping to be harper. I am on the fence about the idea of just coming out as a Harper guild. There are advantages and disadvantages to everything I suppose. The negative impact is that Harper is listed as a premade character background, and there are NPC's in the game identified as harper. The advantage is that it is a recognizable organization in FR that matches the style of this guild. Still harpers tend to be a secret organization, so we could RP a trade guild or mercenary guild that recognizes itself as harpers internally.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I can go either way but I have made it clear that I am leaning towards not affiliating the guild with Harpers simply because it allows more freedom. I also welcome the idea of the organization being secret or semi-secret and publically recognized as an adventurer's guild or something like that while conducting secret missions.
  • Options
    nakisanyenakisanye Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    [..] If there's anything I can do to assist when you're ready please don't hesitate to ask me. Initially I was tempted to start my own heavy RP guild before I saw your opening post, but after seeing how similar we were with your goals, it only made sense to join your cause. ;)

Exactly the same as me.

I thought I was going to contribute more to the discussion but I'm a bit too tired at the moment. My two cents: I think the guild could use characters with a <insert secret organization (like Harper) name here> background. They themselves would try and influence/guide the guild where they see fit: keeping the powers that be act in concordance with their philosophy, but would probably keep their affiliations to themselves (as is-what I have come to understand-what is natural for them to do).

Of course it could be some sort of sectarian or splinter group of an existing organization, but having something (completely) different would not necessarily be problematic and probably a better idea overall, as long as it fits within the lore. I guess what I'm saying is, let the characters that form the guild shape it

Anyway.. Im glad this topic is so active!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    nakisanye wrote: »
    Exactly the same as me.

I thought I was going to contribute more to the discussion but I'm a bit too tired at the moment. My two cents: I think the guild could use characters with a <insert secret organization (like Harper) name here> background. They themselves would try and influence/guide the guild where they see fit: keeping the powers that be act in concordance with their philosophy, but would probably keep their affiliations to themselves (as is-what I have come to understand-what is natural for them to do).

Of course it could be some sort of sectarian or splinter group of an existing organization, but having something (completely) different would not necessarily be problematic and probably a better idea overall, as long as it fits within the lore. I guess what I'm saying is, let the characters that form the guild shape it

Anyway.. Im glad this topic is so active!

I may have an idea that may work for everyone. Moonstars were an offshoot of the Harpers when Khelben wanted to develop his own organization. Our guild could have similar origins. We would have some ties with Harpers but we wouldn't be restricted by Harper rules and methods.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I may have an idea that may work for everyone. Moonstars were an offshoot of the Harpers when Khelben wanted to develop his own organization. Our guild could have similar origins. We would have some ties with Harpers but we wouldn't be restricted by Harper rules and methods.

I agree, this idea seems to best match our theme, and opinions expressed in this thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Whoa. Second page. Things got really active.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

An grand comparison, especially considering the person responsible for revitalizing the Moonstars is Renael Neverember, Dagult's son. They're stormy relationship could be a potential plot point so I could see some unofficial support to form a similar group to the Moonstars in "Daddy's" city.

As for Rackham, I see tons of potential for background reasons for him joining such a group. Especially if they're not as discriminate. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    An grand comparison, especially considering the person responsible for revitalizing the Moonstars is Renael Neverember, Dagult's son. They're stormy relationship could be a potential plot point so I could see some unofficial support to form a similar group to the Moonstars in "Daddy's" city.

As for Rackham, I see tons of potential for background reasons for him joining such a group. Especially if they're not as discriminate. ;)

Moonstars also tended to be more assertive than the Harpers. They didn't just wait around for things to happen.

We'll go with this idea.
  • Options
    iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This seems interesting to me- I'll see at launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bigbadz1bigbadz1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    might b interested do u have beta? I will have to buy founder pack
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    bigbadz1 wrote: »
    might b interested do u have beta? I will have to buy founder pack

I have no intentions of starting the guild during beta simply because I still believe beta is meant for testing. Yeah I know, I'm old school. Besides, it's unfair for those who want to partake in the guild but are unable to join simply because they didn't get into beta. The guild will be official at launch and not earlier.

That being said, during beta, for those who got in, we'll assess what we will be able to do in terms of RP and develop the guild accordingly. Besides testing, all we'll be doing is organizing the guild and that can be done outside the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Bumping for those who are just tuning into Neverwinter. Activity is increasing everyday.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Aye, I'm excited to see the planning continue and have the guild take shape!
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I do like RP, but I will admit that late night on the West coast is Early morning on the East x.x
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Was scoping out some possible RP spots .
    Usually taverns are the locales of choice for guild havens, but it would neat to see some additional locales not so typical.
    For smaller gatherings, I wonder if the Foundry could even be used? Now THAT would be cool to see!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Was scoping out some possible RP spots .
    Usually taverns are the locales of choice for guild havens, but it would neat to see some additional locales not so typical.
    For smaller gatherings, I wonder if the Foundry could even be used? Now THAT would be cool to see!

That would actually be awesome. The only problem would be the max number of party members allowed in the instance. It'd be nice if it were like CoH where you could drop team and invite others and not be removed from the instance.
  • Options
    uptightfreak89uptightfreak89 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This looks good alright. But Ventrilo is a must, its quite hard in any game to dungeon run and to chat with text. Stopping every min to right somethin will take away from the fun imo.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    From what I've seen from the recent press releases, there will be an in game voice chat.

I believe they talk about it in this press beta:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ERazhGrMI&feature=youtube_gdata_player