test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Late Night Heavy Roleplay Guild

Comments

• spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    From what I've seen, the character creation screen offers a number of "origin" locations including Luskan and Waterdeep. My guess is they may provide some logical reasons on how your character migrated to Never winter. To me it makes perfect sense. Neverwinter has become a frontier-like town so HUGE opportunity for any enterprising adventurer.

I'm hoping they actually don't do this but I think you are right, especially with the revelation of the drow renegade in the founder's packs. As an RPer, I would have rather liked to have created my own backstory instead of being restricted to what Cryptic deems as a good background.
    For a splinter group like I described, I could see them recruiting all this new blood travelling into the city for the purposes of gaining advantage over already established groups. With the Sons splitting off into militant groups, tension in the city would undoubtedly become unbearable. Skirmishes would break out as groups vie for established territory and the only strength would be that of numbers. The Harpers would be likely be aware of this and would support any endeavor to keep the conflict to a minimum. Just my thinking behind this.

Not a bad idea. I do have a couple of ideas of my own but I'm holding off on revealing them till I see the game a bit more and to encourge potential members to make suggestions. I don't want this guild to be just about the GM.
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    In any case, i'm in. The fact that this will be later at night (as Im on the west coast), heavy RP (cause I roll that way), and similar in fashion to the Harpers (Coolest org. In the Forgotten Realms), is enough for me to go on.

So to start a tally of potential characters, here's what I'm proposing for mine:

Name: Rackham (name still to be finalized)
    Race: halfling
    Alignment: Neutral Good (in 4th ed. Unaligned with a tendancy towards Good)
    Class: Trickster Rogue

Personality: charismatic, brash, and cavalier in nature. One is never entirely sure whether Rackham steals for the money or purely just for the thrill of it.

Brief concept: on the run from Luskan, Rackham fled to Neverwinter to escape the growing pressures of the High Captains and the underworld dealings of the Bregan'daerthe, as well as seek out the new riches to be had in the newly growing city. Often seen skulking around in the Blacklake District, Rackham is often seen evading the guards as well as warming the barstools at many of the nearby taverns.

I encourage anyone else to post their initial character ideas too! It might help determine the overall guild concept (and your ideas Spectral) once we get a sense of the possible players. Of course this is also not carved in stone as the game hasnt released yet. ;)
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • red0beerred0beer Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will need time to think.. I am really into creating a evil character :)
    Or maybe, use a PnP character background..
    Oh, gosh, the doubt! The cruel doubt!
    -" I Don't worry about how history will judge me..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After all, it will be written by the winners. And i am one. "

(Please don't mind my bad english, i'm Brazilian. :) )
  • aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This guild concept sounds perfect for me. I get off of work at 8pm pst most nights, and would love some good RP. I like the concept of creating our own Lore group or clan. It might be a good idea to require or at least recommend that every character in the guild have at least a paragraph of background. Background builds the personalty blocks for rp and could explain how said character came to Neverwinter from distant lands.

As far as the server is concerned, there is not going to be an RP server, just one big server fits all. I think Lore is pretty much what a guild makes of it.
    edited February 2013
    Gods play a key role in FR and I'm debating how much of a role they will play for the guild. But I'm not expecting or wanting players to play Chosen characters. My first character will be a cleric and if things go well, hopefully I'll be able to roll an Avenger if they become available.
  • rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Gods play a key role in FR and I'm debating how much of a role they will play for the guild. But I'm not expecting or wanting players to play Chosen characters. My first character will be a cleric and if things go well, hopefully I'll be able to roll an Avenger if they become available.

Cool a cleric! Love to see how a professional relationship unfolds between my Rogue and your cleric. Could prove to be quite the interesting RP!
    Bring on the morality discussions!!
  • dungeonmeisterdungeonmeister Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I too have often suffered for the lack of a guild's activity during the late hours, my favorite time for rp. Joining with similarly nocturnal folks would be a new experience and one long over due. I am definitely interested. This thread has me wishing to do as rackhamgreg and buy some lore material to read til open beta ^ ^

May I suggest allowing a few (very few) shady characters into the guild? What would the Companions of the Lance have been without their Raistlin? When tempered, a little bit of dark among those following the lighter side of morality could actually help roleplay. Just a thought, I tend to play good characters regardless.
  • theshadowithen65theshadowithen65 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi, im a long time RPer since the Days of NWN1 (whos server lasted until about a year and a half ago) looking to
    Get into some new RP My charcters tend more twards the Chaotic Good/Neutral Good/CHaotic Neutral spectrum alignment wise
    and I think i might be interested in Joining up, as RP makes a game more fun for me than just going out and grinding ever did
    edited February 2013
    I too have often suffered for the lack of a guild's activity during the late hours, my favorite time for rp. Joining with similarly nocturnal folks would be a new experience and one long over due. I am definitely interested. This thread has me wishing to do as rackhamgreg and buy some lore material to read til open beta ^ ^

May I suggest allowing a few (very few) shady characters into the guild? What would the Companions of the Lance have been without their Raistlin? When tempered, a little bit of dark among those following the lighter side of morality could actually help roleplay. Just a thought, I tend to play good characters regardless.

Nice. As the game is drawing closer to closed beta, this thread is getting more responses. And trust me, I know all about how things slow down late nights in MMOs.

As for evil characters, I'm going to have to say no. In the case of novels, the author has full control of all the characters. In this case, everyone has control over their own. The problem arises when an evil character eventually has to make an evil choice. Then we start discussing whether or not a player needs to compromise their position in order for the conflicting characters to play together. In the end, it's better to avoid those types of conflict. Besides, we'll have plenty of IC conflict from the good and neutral characters anyways.
    edited February 2013
    Hi, im a long time RPer since the Days of NWN1 (whos server lasted until about a year and a half ago) looking to
    Get into some new RP My charcters tend more twards the Chaotic Good/Neutral Good/CHaotic Neutral spectrum alignment wise
    and I think i might be interested in Joining up, as RP makes a game more fun for me than just going out and grinding ever did

As long as you agree with what I first originally posted on this thread, we'll be more than happy to have you join us.
  • elalora123elalora123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hey Spectralhunt

I am going to play a Tiefling Wizard who is true neutral (but more on the side of good) and I also agree with all of the other great ideas you have had for the guild! I would love to be a part of it as I have been a keen roleplayer for over 5 years (starting with WoW, doing some NWN, etc.)

I do live in Edinburgh but my time will fit yours, I checked :)
    edited February 2013
    Nice to see the increase in activity. Spectralhunt, did you have a certain timeframe in mind on when you'd start your initial guild planning. I know you've got some specific ideas in mind and I look forward to hearing them. I can also equally understand your hesitance to start any major decisions until we have a better sense of when the game is released.

Were you waiting for a specific milestone, perhaps the announcement of the release date?
    edited February 2013
    Nice to see the increase in activity. Spectralhunt, did you have a certain timeframe in mind on when you'd start your initial guild planning. I know you've got some specific ideas in mind and I look forward to hearing them. I can also equally understand your hesitance to start any major decisions until we have a better sense of when the game is released.

Were you waiting for a specific milestone, perhaps the announcement of the release date?

I'm waiting for closed beta. I need to play the game a bit before I can determine where to go with the guild. That's the main reason why I haven't made any concrete decisions on the theme and why I'm only focusing upon the type of players and schedule.
    edited February 2013
    I'm waiting for closed beta. I need to play the game a bit before I can determine where to go with the guild. That's the main reason why I haven't made any concrete decisions on the theme and why I'm only focusing upon the type of players and schedule.

Good to know. If there's anything I can do to assist when you're ready please don't hesitate to ask me. Initially I was tempted to start my own heavy RP guild before I saw your opening post, but after seeing how similar we were with your goals, it only made sense to join your cause. ;)
  • aeonbluessaeonbluess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm still hoping that I can be considered a part of this guild. In the meantime I have been working on a rough draft for my dwarven cleric of tymora. I was thinking that after we have a better idea of what the guild looks like, we could weave that into the background as well. Also I like the idea of background sharing. With some PM's and author approval, NPC's could be spun off in back stories as well as well as crossing timelines to bring characters closer together before launch.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just a FYI, Zebular and I are fellow night owls, so we'll likely be around. Nice to see my late night brethren BTW.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lohadeslohades Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am down, how do I get involved. I am a 22+ year tabletop DM and been gaming since UO beta.
  • tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lohades wrote: »
    I am down, how do I get involved. I am a 22+ year tabletop DM and been gaming since UO beta.
    You played UO Beta in 1996 at the age of 5+?
    edited February 2013
    tronc8463 wrote: »
    You played UO Beta in 1996 at the age of 5+?

I don't think he meant he was a 22 year old, but has been playing tabletop games for 22 (+) years. ;D

Welcome Iohades. I'm a longtime PnP player too. Played D&D, AD&D, WoD, Earth dawn, SWRPG, Shadowrun, and TMNT. When I think back to all that, I can't help but think I had WAY too much free time back then! XD
  • tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't think he meant he was a 22 year old, but has been playing tabletop games for 22 (+) years. ;D

Welcome Iohades. I'm a longtime PnP player too. Played D&D, AD&D, WoD, Earth dawn, SWRPG, Shadowrun, and TMNT. When I think back to all that, I can't help but think I had WAY too much free time back then! XD

That makes more sense! Good luck with it guys. Will be keeping an eye on this to see how it goes.
    edited February 2013
    Glad to see more people interested. Once more information gets out, things will be more concrete. Till then, this thread will be used to make suggestions or for questions.
  • elalora123elalora123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just want to confirm that you guys are ok with having me in the guild? Would really be honoured to be a part of this guild :) Thanks to all!
    edited February 2013
    elalora123 wrote: »
    Just want to confirm that you guys are ok with having me in the guild? Would really be honoured to be a part of this guild :) Thanks to all!

You are most welcome to join. Right now anyone who agrees with the rules are invited. Once the guild is fully setup, we'll probably start making restrictions. Besides, this early on I expect people to join and drop fairly often.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not dropping, I'm brainstorming and resisting my Aries tendency to be annoying. New projects excite Aries you know :eek:
    edited February 2013
    aeonbluess wrote: »
    I'm not dropping, I'm brainstorming and resisting my Aries tendency to be annoying. New projects excite Aries you know :eek:

Long ago I used to read up on astrology for fun. If I remember correctly, you found the perfect group. I'm a Sagittarius and I believe we get along quite well with Aries. :)
    edited February 2013
    So I was tossing around some ideas in my head the other night (Pisces here, so it's fairly common) and I had a couple of things we could consider for the guild.

As the Harpers are the type of organization we want to be similar to, but not necessarily linked to directly, we could take some inspirations to their methods.

For example, being a somewhat secretive society, their agents are recognized by their harp-shaped pin, and its been used as a sort of calling card in hopes to make a certain message. Would we like to do something similar? What symbol do you think we could use? Maybe nothing like a pin, but what about a lotus flower. Lotus plants to me have always been a magical-like flower and the symbolism evokes a certain mystery in my opinion. Perhaps we leave one after a mission is completed? Or if someone seeks our help they affix one to the Adventurer's bulletin board in each of the taverns?

Another thought I had was that of communication among our members. I've never been a fan of the whole "walkie talkie" approach most of the WoW guilds I've been in, but I'm sure we can come up with something more interesting. What about rings that change colour when you are requested to meet? We could still treat like the walkie-talkie approach, but I'm not sure whether in-game guild chat will be IC or whether we'll be able to create extra chat channels.

I will also assume however that once we all get a chance to poke around in the game we'll be able to determine a base of operations. Or at least multiple "district offices"?

In any case, some thoughts for everyone to consider...
  • reesekracusreesekracus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm very interested since this is my playtime as well and I DM PnP sessions several times a month.

I'll be mostly DM'ing in the game, so I could create some interesting adventures with storylines that I could tie the guild into.

food for thought...
    edited February 2013
    I'm very interested since this is my playtime as well and I DM PnP sessions several times a month.

I'll be mostly DM'ing in the game, so I could create some interesting adventures with storylines that I could tie the guild into.

food for thought...

Great! Since you brought it up...I'll ask this question to everyone interested. Do any of you have any experience in building storylines, whether it was in Neverwinter Nights, City of Heroes Architect or some other type of quest building system?
  • dreadsheparddreadshepard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow, great stuff... I need to kick my drow lore into over drive :).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.zinzerena.com
    edited February 2013
    What do the RPer's think about the generic origin story? I guess you can work it into your back story. But for me I would have preferred a blank slate. Youtube Link around the 8min mark. Perhaps it's tied into so encounters/story lines.

I do like how they have the Biography section to allow you to flesh it out more. Wonder what the word count is on that space?