test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    bloodsuckingparasitebloodsuckingparasite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a few questions, probably a lot to some. To be fair I feel like you should also know a little about me so perhaps you could better answer my questions. I have played Dungeons and Dragons: Online since 2006, I have also played Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 so I have a decent amount of DnD (at least 3.5) and I have played a little 4e, though I do not have a complete grasp on it.

1) Aggro:
    How do you plan to implement aggro management? There are times when one player manages to build so much hate that the tank can't get the aggro back solely on DPS alone. Will there be the intimidate skill? Or will it be put in as an ability? Will classes that wish to shed aggro get a way to do so?

2) Class Selection:
    Currently, you have 5 character classes (GW ftr, Def ftr, TrkRg, ConWiz, and DevClr). Surely you plan on adding in more classes and when you do, how will you tackle the character creation process? Will you have the class then a subsection of each class? So it'd go Fighter -> <Great Weapon Fighter or Great Defender Fighter> kind of deal or would you just label each as their own class?

3) Double Weapons:
    Double weapons such as the Double sword or scimitar? have always been a personal favorite of mind and I'm curious if we'll be able to see them in NW:O. So, will we?

4) Races:
    I've seen Drow, Human, Half-elf, Elf, Dwarf, and Tiefling. Does Cryptic intend to add in more races such as Aerenal, Eladrin, (razertooth/longtooth) Shifters, etc...?

5) Player Economy:
    How do you intend to deal with gold farmers and deter them?
    What about money sinks to control the player economy?

6) Party Loot Distrubtation:
    I noticed that you had a rolling system for loot. Will party leaders be able to adjust these rules to perhaps allow free-for-all, or round robin loot systems?

7) The Future:
    What are your plans for future classes? (Rangers, druids, barbarians, artificers, favored souls, paladins, bards, sorcerers, warlocks, shamans etc...)

I'm sure a most of these questions won't be allowed to answered, but you've taken a bite of a rather large game and I want to make sure I won't see this game get swept away in the torrents. Some questions I was going to ask I with held because I'll be able to learn about them this Friday.

Good luck Cryptic!
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    My question: Once NWO becomes live, are developer resources going to go back to the neglected title, Champions Online?

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Will there be an open beta with no beta key required where I can test the game before I buy the Hero of the North pack? Or do I just have to buy it and hope that it's good.
  • Options
    keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm a step from buying founder pack, but have a couple of questions. I'm all into warpriest, heavy, melee, healing. I have no need in any other classes. So if I won't get it from the start it's better for me just sit back and not play NW at all until they release it? Kinda..sad? And I have old account, created before PW disabled my region, this allows me to play PW games freely, but am I legit to buy a founder pack? Or I should wait for some euro release? Will support help me, if there will be problems with transaction, or 'you've lost your money, we won't help you, you are from disabled region'?
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Quote :"Any living creature on the Material Plane who dies within ten miles of the soul crusher cannot be returned to life with a raise dead, reincarnation, or resurrection spell. A wish spell cannot return the destroyed soul to life, but a miracle spell has a 50% chance of recovering the soul's existence. If returned to existence, the soul can choose to continue to an appropriate afterlife, or return to life if the original body is available."

... pff still " no such thing as perma death in Dnd" :p
    A wish spell cannot return the destroyed soul to life, but a miracle spell has a 50% chance of recovering the soul's existence. If returned to existence, the soul can choose to continue to an appropriate afterlife, or return to life if the original body is available. However, the soul is loosely joined afterward. Forever after, the subject dies at 0 hit points instead of -10. If the victim ever dies again, his or her soul cannot be returned to its body.

You didn't keep reading :p
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd like to answer some but will allow some of the official answers be made by PWE/Cryptic. If by next Tuesday there is no answer, re-post them and I can share what I know, NDA stuff even after beta exempted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gunakkigunakki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My questions:

- Are you going to add half-orc as playable race soon?
    - When can I play barbarian or druid class?

Soon, I hope! So I can create my favourite DnD character. :D
  • Options
    lordstormbowlordstormbow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How soon will we see roleplayer support or at least a forum for roleplayers for Neverwinter?
    Is there going to be a server for roleplayers?
    (Will there be anyone that actually backs up the roleplayers and moves non-roleplayers with non-RP names off the RP server? Three strikes and they're out, at least?)

I searched, didn't see anything like these questions, so I'm asking...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pyrocrastinatorpyrocrastinator Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    After watching the MMORPG.com live stream last night I have a foundry related question:

I saw in the dungeons there is a quest path you can toggle on/off. Does this mean I have to put a quest path into my foundry content?

The reason I ask is that I plan on making at least one (probably multiple) find-the-exit style quests where you have to use intuition and information from NPCs to find your way through to the objectives/exit. This kind of quest is obviously impossible to make if I cannot disable the quest path.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    How soon will we see roleplayer support or at least a forum for roleplayers for Neverwinter?
    Is there going to be a server for roleplayers?
    (Will there be anyone that actually backs up the roleplayers and moves non-roleplayers with non-RP names off the RP server? Three strikes and they're out, at least?)

I searched, didn't see anything like these questions, so I'm asking...

I will answer this one and say it's single server architecture so we're all appearing on one giant server with multiple sharsds if public areas get too populated. So no, no RP servers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    simpathicsimpathic Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Anyone know if the founder packs will still be available after there has been a chance to play the game?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Re: the comment about a Role-Player's forum. For the time being, please utilize the Arts & Fiction forum as that is our "unofficial" role-player's forum, for now.
  • Options
    aurennaurenn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I checked around but haven't been able to find any info on this. Is there an upgrade option for the founders packs? Like can I buy the 20$ one and at a later time drop 40$ and get guardian of never winter, then later drop 140$ and get the Hero of the North pack?
  • Options
    ut47ut47 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    With the Foundry, will we be able to make 'social' areas - ie, places players can select and enter, finding other players already inside (without needing to be in the same group first), or general 'hub'-type places?

I'm thinking from the point of view of translating some of my old pw into it :) - sorry if its been asked before.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ut47 wrote: »
    With the Foundry, will we be able to make 'social' areas - ie, places players can select and enter, finding other players already inside (without needing to be in the same group first), or general 'hub'-type places?

I'm thinking from the point of view of translating some of my old pw into it :) - sorry if its been asked before.

Has been asked before, yes.

Answer is no - because it requires persistant maps - something in wishlist of devs but will not be available at launch.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    aurenn wrote: »
    I checked around but haven't been able to find any info on this. Is there an upgrade option for the founders packs? Like can I buy the 20$ one and at a later time drop 40$ and get guardian of never winter, then later drop 140$ and get the Hero of the North pack?

The CM has already stated no, you pay full price. You also can buy only one Hero/Guardian pack per acount but you can buy as many starter kits as you wish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ara87ara87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi
    I've been roaming this forum and more or less read everything that's been written the past 10 days, and I haven't seen an answer to the question I want to ask. (But at least now I know what an Eladin is, that I will have nightmares about the possibility of a bard-class in Lady GaGa costumes and that people become like a 4 year old asking if we are there yet, whenever the topic gets close to beta-testing)

My question:
    Will I be able to buy the things, which are included in the founder-packs, separately after launch?
    More specificly the Menzoberranzan-background, or a fake Guenhwyvar?

Cheers for the help

bacon-suit.jpg
    Give the man a lute or a harp!!
    Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?
    Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.
    Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    can we hope to get more playeble races in future???
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    We can't answer that because they haven't said it yet. But the history of Cryptic suggests that you WILL be able to buy most things as a variant or original form later. Pack members just get it first.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ara87ara87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We can't answer that because they haven't said it yet. But the history of Cryptic suggests that you WILL be able to buy most things as a variant or original form later. Pack members just get it first.

Cheers for the reply :)
    Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?
    Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.
    Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
  • Options
    indy20indy20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have a PC Gamer beta key. By the time I'm able to access the beta will I still be eligible to buy the Hero of the North founder pack? I want to try the game before I pay $200. I just am worried that by the time I get to try the game, they won't be doing the founder packs anymore.
  • Options
    shaunthemadshaunthemad Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a veteran NWN2 modder the Foundry is something that has me very excited. I'm wondering what tools will be available to creators for creating Dynamic areas and quests. Can we allow players to cumulatively make an impact on our mod, or have the state of our areas change with time? Will we be able to pass information between mods to create more dynamic quest lines?

I'm very excited by the idea of an MMO that allows for user made content. This is something that I think will really make Neverwinter stand out in the sea of MMOs. I watched the PAX video and read most of the articles, there was a lot talk about "seamless integration" but not a lot of talk on what would and wouldn't be possible with the Foundry pobably since it's still in development.

Still with NWN2 it was a good 3 years before the community was able to turn out quality content, and this is no surprise. Those of us who create content for free usually work full time jobs, plus time taken to learn the toolset means these things take time to make. It would be nice if we can get access as soon as the beta goes live.

Either way looking forward to it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Founders packs should be available through the beta period but they will say if expiring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    As a veteran NWN2 modder the ....
    As I have told other modders before, it is not a game editing tool. It is a story design tool.

It is like LEGOs where you pick blocks and keep them.

Regarding second query, I do believe that sandbox quests are possible. Multiple endings cannot be aut-connected, but there are ways to make multiple endings possible too.

p.s. Sandbox quest is commonly used but incorrect terminology for nonlinear gameplay inside quests.

EDIT: However all this is opinion so take it so.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Are there any plans to expand on the game world or will any future updates to the content stay strictly within the current game map area?
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It's been a long time since we've had word on that.

I believe the end result was the usual "maybe in the future" but even personally I would place some things much higher on the to-do list such as working to ensure the Foundry has all the tools players need, including but not limited to, group designed persistent areas.

To me the map location isn't as important as making sure the players have the tools required to supply the content within the game. :D
  • Options
    lordstormbowlordstormbow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow... This thread got totally hi-jacked. :P

PS - Thanks for the replies to the question and topic for which this thread was intended.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.