test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Guide] Deities of New Neverwinter - Detailed

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Temple Has Been Constructed!

The Astral temple has been constructed. It is open for all the devoted and lay worshipers. Please leave you queries in the form of text in the posts below. Appropriate gods may answer your questions.

However be warned. Some of the evil gods may read it and use it against you too.
    edited December 2012
    deleted for continuity.
    edited December 2012
    deleted for contnuity
    edited December 2012
    (Help me update)
    !POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

List of post-spellplague temples:-

Temple

City/Region
    Deity
    Notes

Helm's Hold
    Near Neverwinter
    Helm
    deceased; (independent)

Halls of Justice
    Neverwinter
    Tyr
    Neverember's court; (supported by Torm, in homage to his predecessor Tyr)

House of Knowledge
    Neverwinter
    Oghma
    Destroyed, Needs restoration, all archives remain

Shard of Night
    Neverwinter
    Defiled - formerly Selune
    Defiled part of Moonshadow Hall, under control of Netherese

Golden fields
    Waterdeep
    Chauntea
    (independent)

House of Heroes
    Waterdeep
    Tempus
    Largest temple of Waterdeep

Pyramid of the Moon
    Chult
    Selune
    Appears when tears of the moon are full, never at same place

House of Three
    Rashemen
    Chauntea, Selune and Mielikki
    Far North East of Faerun

Temple of leaves
    Neverwinter Woods; (Sharandar Ruins)
    Corellon
    Any non-evil deity can be worshiped here

Goldspire
    Athkatla
    Waukeen
    A very large temple

Mountain of Skulls
    Cloud Peaks, north of Athkatla
    Cyric

Corellon's Grove
    North in Evermeet
    Corellon

Temple of Arach-Tinilith
    Menzoberranzan
    Lolth
    contib by [post=374311]zanarkheneld[/post].
    Lolth priests trained here.

High house of sword & banners

Ormpetarr

Tempus

contrib by [post=474031]admantium1[/post]

Abbey of Swords

BattleDale

Tempus

contrib by [post=474031]admantium1[/post]

[post=354801]Index[/post]
    edited December 2012
    A few gods may have been missppelled

specifically Grummsh as Gruumsh, Oghma as Oghama or Ogahama, If you notice, please let me know a small quote from words around the letter and the post number and I will correct it.

UPDATE:
    Index has been added, see right side of the post. Click it to return to first post

UPDATE:
    Please copy paste this for reference in the end of your future posts thanks :p
    [noparse]
    [/noparse]
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    At Tempus is a spelling mistake right in the first word and Cyric is written with a small c.

Oh and when this is over i totally think all the comments except gillrmn should be deleted..
    edited December 2012
    Corrected Tempus's description and 'c' of Cyric. Also corrected Oghma and Grummsh. Let me know if you find any.

And presence of index makes other posts fine as links will take you to correct post irrespective of order or other posts.
    edited December 2012
    Index for reference

[noparse][post=356571]Arvandor[/post]

[post=357491]Banehold[/post]

[post=354831]Celestia[/post]

[post=357051]Deep Wilds[/post]

[post=357421]Demonweb Pits[/post]

[post=357591]Dismal Caverns[/post]

[post=357571]Dwarfhome[/post]

[post=356041]Eternal Sun[/post]

[post=355081]Fugue Plane[/post]

[post=355071]Gates of the Moon[/post]

[post=357061]Green Fields[/post]

[post=357561]House of Knowledge[/post]

[post=357601]Nine Hells[/post]

[post=357521]Nishrek[/post]

[post=357091]Supreme Throne[/post]

[post=357411]Towers of the Night[/post]

[post=357071]Warrior's Rest[/post][/noparse]

Copy paste from above value to link your realms.

It would link like here:

[post=356571]Arvandor
    [/post][post=357491]Banehold
    [/post][post=354831]Celestia
    [/post][post=357051]Deep Wilds
    [/post][post=357421]Demonweb Pits
    [/post][post=357591]Dismal Caverns
    [/post][post=357571]Dwarfhome
    [/post][post=356041]Eternal Sun
    [/post][post=355081]Fugue Plane
    [/post][post=355071]Gates of the Moon
    [/post][post=357061]Green Fields
    [/post][post=357561]House of Knowledge
    [/post][post=357601]Nine Hells
    [/post][post=357521]Nishrek
    [/post][post=357091]Supreme Throne
    [/post][post=357411]Towers of the Night
    [/post][post=357071]Warrior's Rest[/post]
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    @gillrmn: This is a nice piece of work you have put together. Thanks for all of your efforts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2012
    @gillrmn: This is a nice piece of work you have put together. Thanks for all of your efforts.

DnD_shy.gif Thanks :o

[post=362151]List of post-spellplague temples[/post] is still incomplete. I would love to get more contributions so that part can also be completed. Sadly, many of our Selunite temples were destroyed when shadowfell descended on Toril. But I did include those I knew of.
  • bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So what happened to Shaundakul? He survived the Time of Troubles and was actually elevated to lesser diety but I can't find any reference to him in either Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or the Players Guide its like he went "poof". Anyone know?

Edit: Also couldn't find Eldath
    edited January 2013
    So what happened to Shaundakul? He survived the Time of Troubles and was actually elevated to lesser diety but I can't find any reference to him in either Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide or the Players Guide its like he went "poof". Anyone know?

He lives in gates of the moon though he is not part of it. I will add him in future...

Done!
    edited January 2013
    The following deity have been missing ever since Spellplague. However they have gone AWOL.
    They may have lost their divinity, died, or are simply lost. They may be introduced later in other novels etc or not. But for now, no one is certain. Many gods stopped working because they may have been aspect of some other god.

Deity

Hints

Shaundakul
    Alive after Spellplague. However, he has since been missing, though his abode is still in Gates of Moon. There are speculations of him exploring some unknown portal, or perhaps in some lost realm of Abeir.

Deneir
    Perhaps dead. Last seen writing herself into the weave as Metatext.

Eldath

Sharindlar

Urogalan

Dumathoin

Finder Wyvernspur
    Last known location was Argentil, Gates of the Moon.

Gargauth

Ulutiu
    Decided to leave Toril, may come back.

Ilneval

Yurtrus

Rillifane Rallathil

Gaerdal Ironhand

Segojan Earthcaller

Urdlen
    May have been reduced to a servent of Garl, or Corellon might have gotten rid of it as his realms are existing on his will.

Flandal Steelskin

Lurue

Though missing she may already be in forest and just hard to find as the unicorn always was (just take a pure-hearted virgin girl in Deep wilds and wait, if only Malar doesn't finds her first...).

Gwaeron Windstrom
    May have been subsumed by Mielikki or killed by Malar

Nobanion
    Unknown, should have been assigned to Deep Wilds, if so should have been killed by Malar.

Ubtao

edited January 2013

Edit: Also couldn't find Eldath

Added all missing deities who went AWOL.

Eldath should have been in the deep wilds, but there is no mention of her in the plane.

EDIT: No mention of her in dragon magzine either when they talk of auril.
  • zanarkheneldzanarkheneld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    (Copy pasted from another thread)

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Spirit Soaring. It was a temple to Deneir built by Cadderly Bonaduce in the Snowflake Mountains that was destroyed during the Spellplague. Deneir gave some of his power to Cadderly to defeat the Ghost King. Deneir then became one with the weave to try and help repair it. If I recall, the site itself still exists but is sealed off by Cadderly's magic (where he eternally performs the ritual to seal the Dracolich Ghost King to the site itself). There is some kind of rift to the Shadowfell on this site and I think Cadderly's ritual also keeps that at bay.

I've always hoped someone would find a way to cleanse Spirit Soaring and release Cadderly to find his peace.

Anyway, I don't know if that counts or not, but the ruins of the temple are still there (if not really reachable due to the dangerousness of the site itself), and the head priest still walks the grounds. We also know the fate of the deity, so maybe that is chartable? XD

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. I know there are more.

Oh! Obvious one is obvious. We're forgetting the Underdark. There's the Temple of Arach-Tinilith in Menzoberranzan where the clerics of Lloth are trained.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In regards to Shaundakul, I haven't seen any Realms update on him since 2006 at the latest. Around 2008 when the 4th edition came out, it was said any not mentioned gods who were potentially still alive, are likely now exploring Aber, which Shaundakul would VERY likely be doing. I do miss the deity that pretty much invented the "helping hand" spell.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Oh! Obvious one is obvious. We're forgetting the Underdark. There's the Temple of Arach-Tinilith in Menzoberranzan where the clerics of Lloth are trained.

Thanks. Added :)
    ...Shaundakul...
    Yeah it seem very likely that he will be scouting Abeir for other gods, part of him being wandering deity also, so...
    I wonder what happened to the bard Finder. He should have survived the spellplague too ... Probably they already had too many deities for the 'Camp Moon' so they may have decided to bring these deities in later.
  • therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I actually suspect the pantheon will increase over time, in general gods have a tendency not to stay dead in The Forgotten Realms (no matter how epic it is), there are exceptions but especially when it comes to popular deities like Tyr I expect they will return, and eventually new ones will be added until we wind up with a list of deities even larger than there was before... right before the 5th Edition transition where they kill a bunch of them off again. :)

To be honest, the one part of this that has always irked me was Lloth making and retaining greater god status. It seems as Drow have become more popular they have increased (conceptually) in number and Lloth has been turned into an actual deity as opposed to a Demon/Demi-Power. Then again I'm sort of a fan of some classic modules which climaxed with you being able to beat her down. :)

I'll also say that most of these editions transitions and major events tend to overlook some of the finer points of FR cosmology. The Old Empires have generally been controlled by pantheons of Egyptian and Babylonian deities, settled originally by people from other dimensions who brought their gods with them, those gods being mostly local and taking care of their people. You have similar situations with Zakhara, Maztica, and Kara-Tur. Lord Ao generally has little sway over those pantheons, the ones in Kara-Tur (if I remember correctly) instead being beholden to the Celestrial Court, and the ones in Zahkara being held more in check by "Fate"
    which exists as an actual Metaphysical entity. There is trade between the lands, and even when not in publication the existance of these other lands is how they justify things like Katanas making to Faerun.

I'm just rambling (like usual), and can see why they wouldn't want to get that complicated, but I find it occasionally amusing that with all the Spell Plagues, Shadow Weaves, and other assorted things, which most of these other pantheons ignore or suffer greatly reduced effects from, that it rarely comes up. Truthfully I've kind of been waiting for a major event when some author remembers this and finally has say the Deities of Kara-Tur get sick of this garbage, and invade Faerun, especially with so many of the oldest and strongest gods being dead or replaced, and a lot (but not all) of the greater deities being new to the status. Probably starting with say The Jade Emperor punting Ao for not doing his job and letting cataclysms happen every century or so. Some of the other greater gods of magic (Thoth, Isis, etc... just to name a few) active in the FR have generally been justified as not being involved more in say "The Time Of Troubles" because it really didn't affect them too much (in The Old Empires the deities walk around in Avatar form anyway and tend to avoid messing with other lands by definition). There is a point at which I'd imagine even the most patient alternative pantheon would be saying "WTF, are they doing in the main body of Faerun".

Just some musing and rambling, not something I actually expect to happen. Though the way the world has been defined previously this is a bit differant from "gods from othr worlds" since these guys have been here all along. FR generally being divided into a few differant pantheonic territories.

On a purely academic question though, how is Sharess not under the domain of Shar, I might have missed that somewhere. I get that they are saying some deities were aspects of other deities in order to simplfy things, however Sharess was always an aspect of Shar, even if she wound up drifting away to become her own entity. I would think of any deity listed she really wouldn't have a choice about being absorbed.

Some amusing thoughts, well beyond the purview of the Neverwinter MMO. Still perhaps if someone ever makes an epic single player series of D&D games again, like "Baldur's Gate" this kind of question could be at it's core. Having a bunch of Arabian Nights guys and Ancient Oriental Warriors (Samurai, Ninjas, etc...) join forces to conquer physical Faerun, while their deities try and evict the resident deities for sheer incompetance and ineffectiveness would be... an interesting backround. Sort of like "the Crusades" with Faerun/The Western World on the receiving end. In a practical sense, it would likely be a more exciting rogues gallery than the whole "Threat From The Sea" thing (which I felt was bordeline insulting as an event... but that's another story).
    edited January 2013

On a purely academic question though, how is Sharess not under the domain of Shar, I might have missed that somewhere. I get that they are saying some deities were aspects of other deities in order to simplfy things, however Sharess was always an aspect of Shar, even if she wound up drifting away to become her own entity. I would think of any deity listed she really wouldn't have a choice about being absorbed. ....

Cat deity, Sharess was freed by Sune from the corruption of Shar quite long ago I think. So while earlier Sharess was trying to gain pleasure by hurting people - hence the darkness in her heart - Sune showed her that true happiness lies in harmless hedonistic pleasure. Now she umm... does pleasures without doing... um... harmful things.

They have primordial who challange the god's authority - demons too. They do have lesser gods but many more other groups who can challenge gods.

EDIT: Faiths and Pantheon book of 3e tells about how her "pleasures" are harmless now...
  • therumancer23therumancer23 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Cat deity, Sharess was freed by Sune from the corruption of Shar quite long ago I think. So while earlier Sharess was trying to gain pleasure by hurting people - hence the darkness in her heart - Sune showed her that true happiness lies in harmless hedonistic pleasure. Now she umm... does pleasures without doing... um... harmful things.

They have primordial who challange the god's authority - demons too. They do have lesser gods but many more other groups who can challenge gods.

EDIT: Faiths and Pantheon book of 3e tells about how her "pleasures" are harmless now...

It's been a while, but the way I remember it, when she was invented she was a newly arrived good deity that was unknowingly (but rather obviously) an aspect of Shar. She was used largely to get people to lose their inhibations and seek oblivion through them, so they could then be further seduced into the worship of Shar, seeking Oblivion.

The point wasn't so much that she's bad, I don't she she ever was in of herself, and her having a problem with Shar wasn't entirely new, it's just that she's still an aspect of that other deity. It simply strikes me that with the 4E changes she'd be more or less doomed under those grounds with all of the "aspects" being absorbed. That's all.

It's a minor quibble, mostly just being mentioned for the sake of mentioning it. Looking at the list again it just occured to me that she doesn't strike me as being one that would have likely made the cut. Still, the point about her being a cat goddess is a good one, and I imagine the writers decided to keep her around as that's a popular sphere (other aspects aside) and she doesn't have a lot of competition on that front.
    edited January 2013
    The point wasn't so much that she's bad, I don't she she ever was in of herself, and her having a problem with Shar wasn't entirely new, it's just that she's still an aspect of that other deity. It simply strikes me that with the 4E changes ...

4e has nothing to do with it - 4e didn't change anything about her. She is as she was in 3e. Her liberation happened in Times of Troubles, and I remember reading a long story about her somewhere but can't remember where.

If you open 105 page of Faiths and Pantheons(the 3e book) it explains that she is living in Brightwaters after liberated by Sune
    edited January 2013
    ...It's a minor quibble, mostly just being mentioned for the sake of mentioning it. Looking at the list again it just occured to me that she doesn't strike me as being one that would have likely made the cut. Still, the point about her being a cat goddess is a good one, and I imagine the writers decided to keep her around as that's a popular sphere (other aspects aside) and she doesn't have a lot of competition on that front.

Believe it or not, but there is a reason behind every deity's death and not simply to reduce number of gods.

Mystra is well - a joke of death and life so let us leave her out.

Tyr - was supposed to be where Torm is now, however he did kill Helm so he would always have felt guilty inside. Not good for iconic LG deity. So off he goes and Torm takes his place.

Helm - death was a very important plot twist. It allowed the story of Bahamut and Tiamat again into the fray. If you remember the Mythal on red comet has been broken. So an age of dragons (along with Abeir merge) is a strong possibility now.

Elistraee- death was important to save all drow. Now good drow can become dark elves and are not doomed for their fate is in hands of Corellon. So if you are a good drow, lolth can no longer control you - for Elistraee cleverly sacrificed her life to liberate a few good drow (plot hook to let drow roam freely as good - without having to do naked dance in front of open-air fires).

Azuth - Food for Asmodeus, enough said :)

etc.etc.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's been a while, but the way I remember it, when she was invented she was a newly arrived good deity that was unknowingly (but rather obviously) an aspect of Shar. She was used largely to get people to lose their inhibations and seek oblivion through them, so they could then be further seduced into the worship of Shar, seeking Oblivion.

The point wasn't so much that she's bad, I don't she she ever was in of herself, and her having a problem with Shar wasn't entirely new, it's just that she's still an aspect of that other deity. It simply strikes me that with the 4E changes she'd be more or less doomed under those grounds with all of the "aspects" being absorbed. That's all.

It's a minor quibble, mostly just being mentioned for the sake of mentioning it. Looking at the list again it just occured to me that she doesn't strike me as being one that would have likely made the cut. Still, the point about her being a cat goddess is a good one, and I imagine the writers decided to keep her around as that's a popular sphere (other aspects aside) and she doesn't have a lot of competition on that front.

Actually, Sharess was not originally an aspect of Shar, but Bast (also a ruler of cats, as we KNOW how hedonistic they are...) that after subsuming another feline beast cult's deity's portfolio Felidae, eventually fell into wanderlust. After subsuming the elven deity Zandilar the Dancer's portfolio, she received an even higher intensity of lust than before which caused her...awakening of darker desires and eventual sway under Shar and adopted her name. The rest by liberation of Sune in the Time of Troubles (which happened in 2nd edition) is known. For once, Wikipedia got it right (and you don't see me type that often.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is Neverwinter Online still having Deities be a pure RP aspect and not chosen part of the game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Is Neverwinter Online still having Deities be a pure RP aspect and not chosen part of the game?

We don't know. :X
  • qquentaqquenta Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I remember reading the Avatar Trilogy and some of the other books that followed the gods stuff. But did something change where they are defined by certain realms now? And the gods have bosses? I feel out of the loop ;-p
    edited January 2013
    qquenta wrote: »
    I remember reading the Avatar Trilogy and some of the other books that followed the gods stuff. But did something change where they are defined by certain realms now? And the gods have bosses? I feel out of the loop ;-p

Astral sea is the place where any greater god can create a realm just by projecting its mind. In return, they can't leave the realms.

Hence their realms(their home) are used to classify them.

Greater gods can have gods living with them. They may or maynot serve under Greater god.

Any god can have exarch - but that exarch may not serve that god/greater god and the latter might just be tolerating it as former's dogma matches it.
  • ryhsryhs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What about primordials like Kossuth and Grumbar? Can they be venerate too? And will they be present in the game?
    edited January 2013
    ryhs wrote: »
    What about primordials like Kossuth and Grumbar? Can they be venerate too? And will they be present in the game?

I am not very knowledgeable about them as my interests are divine sphere only. Feel free to make a thread about primordials and world serpent part of d&D
    edited January 2013
    *checks and sees they are still gods and not primordials*

It depends if there is enough user interest in the overall D&D pantheons or FR to include them. Respectfully, they often are only included even in tabletop games as "cults" so don't hold your breath as the first wave of selectable deities.

Even I having to check with the FR guide to see if they were STILL deities shows their lack of use my observed mainstream play and I played specialty priests (and fire mages for K) in 2nd ed with them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]