test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Character Customization - MMORPG.com Exclusive

Comments

• Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    All dice-based methods are prone to abuse :)
    Oh, definately, but that's when the GM says, "No, reroll that."
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    All dice-based methods are prone to abuse :)
    aavarius wrote: »
    As a DM, I'm guilty of the occasional "fake-roll." silly-magic.gif
    Rarely to do make people re-roll though unless the die lands un-even. House rule, wherever it lands, if it lands flat - it counts. I make a rolling barrier behind my DM Screen to deter rolls from going someplace visible, when needed. :eek:
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Rarely to do make people re-roll though unless the die lands un-even. House rule, wherever it lands, if it lands flat - it counts. I make a rolling barrier behind my DM Screen to deter rolls from going someplace visible, when needed. :eek:
    Sure. All that seems reasonable, but I think the issue at hand is abuse of ability score rolls at chracter creation. I'd be surprised if you let a player get away with rerolling any ability scores without your consent.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    aavarius wrote: »
    Yep. But the game is the DM and an engine doesn't have the judgement. Unless it screens all rolls. In which case it's pretending you are rolling. But you aren't. So it's effectively presenting arrays (or something like them) and saying "here, you rolled this". Better to discard the pretense, I say.
    zebular wrote: »
    It's time honored tradition :D That said most of my rolls are out in front of the players...
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Rolling is a term sometimes loosely used. I do it my self sometimes. Like in DDO even though I have a pool of stat points, I sometimes speak of roll, rolled, or rolling my toon/character. I hope this is the case here.
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think that's why we're likely using some arrays and/or point buys, like DDO does with "rolling," but we shall see.

But let me see if I can't ask to get and and share one little detail about....

*Watches as a person who got new internal info is caught and promptly disintegrated before posting a reply here*

*begs* Please don't zap me! I mean...

I'm sure they are busy with internally testing this complicated thing and will release more details whenever they feel ready...no pressure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    So, by "character customization" we're NOT talking about the way our characters will look, but their stats?

Poo.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    clcmercy wrote: »
    So, by "character customization" we're NOT talking about the way our characters will look, but their stats?
    Well the current thread acknowledges Cryptic's excellent history with PC appearance and accepts that as a given (don't get me wrong, expectations are high).

We aren't talking "just stats". We are talking the mechanical depth and breadth of the characters.

clcmercy wrote: »
    Poo.
    *pokes his two forked tongues out at clcmercy*
  • Options
    sunstone2012sunstone2012 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It would be really cool if you could login and see your character live like warcraft/diablo 3 has on there website.

Like gear and stats, even an achievement system. who knows.

A search feature to view other peoples characters and such seems popular in new games these days, I hope they implement this.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It would be really cool if you could login and see your character live like warcraft/diablo 3 has on there website.

Like gear and stats, even an achievement system. who knows.

A search feature to view other peoples characters and such seems popular in new games these days, I hope they implement this.

I have mixed feelings on this. The introduction of this feature to DDO kind of undermined the end-game culture, which up until then had been very tolerant of new players with lesser gear.
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, I'm not sure about gear and stats being visible, but i would like a system that shows who is currently on line. What I realy like was the original NWN1 systemwhere you could see the players acount name, and which of their toons they were playing and what level it was. I was realy most dissapointed when they removed that from NWN2. It was a great way to see which of your buddies were on, and who they were playing. Having the same sort of thing showing your guild mates would also be nice. That information availabel at log in save a lot of loging in and out trying to get the right toon to play with for what the rest of your friends and or guild mates were doing. Of course, for those that are not altaholics, it's a moot point.
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm just happy there are cloaks.
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I want a riding dog...too bad they aren't in official 4e. :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tiima1tiima1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A riding dog... hmmm... well, as a beastmaster ranger you can have a wolf, which according to the description can be anything from a mastiff to an actual wolf, and as a small ranger, eg, a halfling, you can get a feat to ride it. Alternatively you can pick up the 'Fey Beast Tamer' background (as any class) and chose a Blink Dog companion, and assuming you're small enough, you could ride that. So the possibility of riding a dog is certainly canon!

If only the Foundry let us write these sorts of things into the game! Unfortunately I can think of a few ways that might get abused. :)
    [SIGPIC]Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.[/SIGPIC]
    Confident, cocky, lazy, dead.
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I know but halflings in dnd have always had riding dogs without the need to specialize for it. I mean i'm not asking for talenta raptor mounts or anything...hmmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I too am a fan for riding dogs/war ponies options. We'll also have to see how achievements are handled in this game based on them being in STO/CO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I too am a fan for riding dogs/war ponies options. We'll also have to see how achievements are handled in this game based on them being in STO/CO.

I always liked being a druid and riding a Dire Wolf that is my companion.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    devs add pls a character editor like in CO
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    or make it possible to transfer my CO character to Neverwinter- only then ill be play this game, cause all of ur races are not interesting. u must allow the users to make their own race ,so they will love this game. P.S. i vote for lizards
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    /wave hand
    yeah could i have a half dragon race please :)
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    /wave hand
    yeah could i have a half dragon race please :)

there should at least be dragon born npc if they are goingt to rsolve rohini. bcoz a dragonborn npc is the key cause of failure of rohini as per lore iirc.
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    there should at least be dragon born npc if they are goingt to rsolve rohini. bcoz a dragonborn npc is the key cause of failure of rohini as per lore iirc.
    i didnt get to much into lore ;/ i was that guy in the campaigns that keep asking "wtf is thaco again " LOL
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    I think I'll like this game whether I can make my own race or not. It's just a different type of game and I don't see custom races being a part of it.

You can only hope that Troglodytes or Dragonborn are made a playable race. And Dragonborn isn't a very big stretch - that's a very real possibility.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    i didnt get to much into lore ;/ i was that guy in the campaigns that keep asking "wtf is thaco again " LOL

There's a good reason the THACO system got changed - it was confusing as hell.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Don't pick on THACO :(

It was very simple...To Hit Armor Class Zero
    Backwards in some people's eyes, but simple as hell to me. Instead of AC 0-40 or so, you had -10 to 10. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I think I'll like this game whether I can make my own race or not. It's just a different type of game and I don't see custom races being a part of it.

You can only hope that Troglodytes or Dragonborn are made a playable race. And Dragonborn isn't a very big stretch - that's a very real possibility.

Ahem... dragonborn is a playable race in FR - it being native to Toril. It is a PLAYABLE RACE.
    This is 4e lore:-

Common Races of Forgotten Realms:
    Drow, Dragonborn, dwarves, eladrin, elves, Genasi, half-elves, half-lings, humans and tieflings

These are the common classes you can find in most cities in forgotten realms. They are all common. More will be explained later.

Rare races, supporting cast of forgotten realms:
    Gnomes, Goblins, Lycanthropes and Shifters, Half-Orcs and Orcs, Devas, Goliaths and Shade.
    These races are very rare in the realms and you may not encounter them in most adventuring parties.

Rest of the races like kobolds, bugbears, bladelings etc. are rarest of rare as a player character.

There is a whole freaking city of Dragonborn called Tymanther in the realms now. They are enemies of chromatic dragons and followers of Bahamut(generally). They hate dragons cos they were enslaved by them.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Ahem... dragonborn is a playable race in FR - it being native to Toril. It is a PLAYABLE RACE.

I know it is in 4e, but it's certainly not listed in this game as a playable race yet. That was my point.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I know it is in 4e, but it's certainly not listed in this game as a playable race yet. That was my point.

I see. You were comparing it with Trogolodytes hence I tried to point it out that dragonborn are native to Toril now, being a default choice for PC and not rarest of rare PC like Trogolodyte.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well Trogs are actually lizardmen. But if you wanted to play a lizardman you're a lot better off hoping for Dragonborn than Trog, even tho it's not the same thing... it's scaly skin, right?

Heh, comparing them is probably pretty insulting to Dragonborn everywhere.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Well Trogs are actually lizardmen. But if you wanted to play a lizardman you're a lot better off hoping for Dragonborn than Trog, even tho it's not the same thing... it's scaly skin, right?

Heh, comparing them is probably pretty insulting to Dragonborn everywhere.

Dragonborn in 4e may be mammals. That, or either a disturbing combination of reptilia and mammals - that is what art would have us believe. So perhas lizardmen are insulted that you compared dragonborn to them. They are perhaps hissing behind my ear right now, saying "wesss aresss puresss bloodssss"