test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The downside of mounts

stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
edited December 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Like most I'm pretty excited to see that there will be mounts in Neverwinter but it also brings up major concerns.

Are we going to have to deal with idi..err "people" on mounts inside every building?

What about using them to grief? Blocking mail boxes and entryways is a huge problem in TOR and WoW despite what the devs say..it has been well documented.

What about flying mounts? They seemed like a awesome idea when wow introduced them but having tons of them hovering a couple inches over the street is frustrating not to mention it makes for empty zones because everyone if flying to their destinations and when everyone and his uncle has one they just aren't that special not to mention it isn't very Forgotten Realms.

Finally mounts other than horses I really hope we don't start having pigs, wolfs, Gnome contraptions, mammoths and flying swords for mounts, LOTRO has mainly horses ponies (and a ram) and they have been able to give us a huge variation in those mounts.....this would be a excellent model for Cryptic.

That's my two coppers on it I would love to hear other viewpoints.
Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
Post edited by stormdrag0n on

Comments

• Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Okay as to mounts in buildings I'm assuming Cryptic will have the dismount when entering a building thing. Blocking mail boxes I just go use one that no one is near. Flying mounts don't see this as being an option ever do to the instancing of the zones. Not only that but aside from special units I don't think most FR characters run around with flying mounts (you don't see Dritzzt flying around the north on a mount). As to other mounts I can bet your bottom dollar there will be wolves as I know there is a spider mount from a tweet of Craigs a few months back.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Okay as to mounts in buildings I'm assuming Cryptic will have the dismount when entering a building thing. Blocking mail boxes I just go use one that no one is near. Flying mounts don't see this as being an option ever do to the instancing of the zones. Not only that but aside from special units I don't think most FR characters run around with flying mounts (you don't see Dritzzt flying around the north on a mount). As to other mounts I can bet your bottom dollar there will be wolves as I know there is a spider mount from a tweet of Craigs a few months back.

As long as it fits in the Realms it's cool my worry is that take an uncommon mount from the books and make it common as dirt.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My choices of mounts:-

Tom the Troll (and we can ride its back)
    Bob the Beholder (with safety glasses on its eyes to avoid any mishaps)
    White Unicorn who teleports(like Lurue)
    Stone the Golem(with cushion seat on its shoulder)

My choices of pets pets:-

Fairies (one that fit your pocket)
    Mindflayer baby brain (who has not yet developed fangs)
    Ioun stone
    A nameless zombie
    Boo - (go for the eyes)

These are one I would be happy to pay for too.
  • Options
    atherratherr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 55
    edited December 2012
    Agreed. Love mounts.
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i hope theres no flying mounts, they make map so small, and takes away a lot of exploration, wow is a good example - you miss too much flying everywhere

• Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Yeah people like me are evil take note (eq1 bazaar opens up <---- mass buff SOE on traders ,then i started pushing them out of the stalls causing them to stop selling their stuff :)
  • Options
    missoukmissouk Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    about mounts :
    - they should not be invocated like in wow
    - mounts blocking mail box??? u have mail box eveywhere in wow so if one is blocked go to another one, don't be id... err narrow minded.
    - flying mounts : totally agree : should be very rare, and they are a pain in mmo because zones they killed savage pvp and they made the world empty... so please, no flying mounts or very rare, and by the way in DnD it is very rare and hard to find too, so stick the rules!
    - fighting on mounts could be cool, think about it!

http://thebestmmorpgever.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I do like the fact that mounts will included. I agree with other posters that flying mounts should be extremely rare. There are some flying mounts such as Griffons, Pegasus, Dragons, etc., but these should be limited so that if they are seen it heralds the arrival of a very powerful individual (near god, demi-god, avatar, god), or a momentous occasion.

Other mounts more normal mounts should exists, but not be cheap so that everybody is galloping to and fro. Besides horses, mules and donkeys could be included for both riding and load bearing. Mules and Donkeys could be purchased for a few gold pieces, horses for a couple hundred gold, not to forget about Worgs but they should be an expensive item as well. Fantastical/Flying mounts should be under no circumstances purchasable.

Speaking of mounts, there could be purchasable carts, wagons, and coaches, none of them cheap of course. Also barding could be for sale, again not very cheaply. A thing that Cryptic could offer is are stables, where you can house your mount while you are off delving in a dungeon. They could also provide upkeep for horse such as shoeing and tack maintenance.

These are all things that Cryptic could offer for real money. Naturally horse wranglers, wagon wrights, blacksmiths, stable keepers should all be interactive NPCs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    lol watch a guild with 30 horses moving someones guild house down the street !
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I do like the fact that mounts will included. I agree with other posters that flying mounts should be extremely rare. There are some flying mounts such as Griffons, Pegasus, Dragons, etc., but these should be limited so that if they are seen it heralds the arrival of a very powerful individual (near god, demi-god, avatar, god), or a momentous occasion.

Other mounts more normal mounts should exists, but not be cheap so that everybody is galloping to and fro. Besides horses, mules and donkeys could be included for both riding and load bearing. Mules and Donkeys could be purchased for a few gold pieces, horses for a couple hundred gold, not to forget about Worgs but they should be an expensive item as well. Fantastical/Flying mounts should be under no circumstances purchasable.

Speaking of mounts, there could be purchasable carts, wagons, and coaches, none of them cheap of course. Also barding could be for sale, again not very cheaply. A thing that Cryptic could offer is are stables, where you can house your mount while you are off delving in a dungeon. They could also provide upkeep for horse such as shoeing and tack maintenance.

These are all things that Cryptic could offer for real money. Naturally horse wranglers, wagon wrights, blacksmiths, stable keepers should all be interactive NPCs.

Yeah I agree maybe have a powerful NPC show up on a flying mount or a GM......but not you're average player.. even Elminster doesn't have a flying mount. I would love to see carts and wagons in the game but yes very expensive as no one wants the streets of Neverwinter full of them...and actually they really should consider limiting where mounts can go. One thing I have noticed from videos is some of the streets are really narrow. As far as cost goes horses should be pricey just to keep them rare they should even consider adding a resting feature after all horses do get tired.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah I agree maybe have a powerful NPC show up on a flying mount or a GM......but not you're average player.. even Elminster doesn't have a flying mount. I would love to see carts and wagons in the game but yes very expensive as no one wants the streets of Neverwinter full of them...and actually they really should consider limiting where mounts can go. One thing I have noticed from videos is some of the streets are really narrow. As far as cost goes horses should be pricey just to keep them rare they should even consider adding a resting feature after all horses do get tired.

Well it is a bit complicated this economy stuff we don't know how Auction house will affect the economy of players that remains to be seen. When I started playing WOW the first year I felt poor and the most expensive fastest flying speed felt very expensive so I could only afford highest flying speed to one of the my characters.

I had however started crafting... after a long time(WOW is time sink in some crafting skills not all) Epic crafting at highest level combined with Auction House made me filthy rich in WOW. In WOW I am like a multimillionarie I have so much gold so I really don't know what to do with it. When I quit WOW after 3.5 years playing in 2011 my income was huge compared to what little expenses I had. The price for having fastest mounts in WOW felt like nothing no matter how many characters I would roll.

I think it is really difficult to compare WOW to Neverwinter. At the end of the Day today WOW with all its expansion is pretty HUGE world also outside to explore. While in Neverwinter seems so instanced so I really wonder how small is the outside World in Neverwinter? I like mounts, but if the outside World is small then there is less need. In time hopefully Cryptic will increase the outside World. If it comes to that players began to complain it is so huge world to explore outside the World then that day in the future we really need mounts. On the other hand sure we all want mounts, but it is a free game with limited resources. Of course I would love mounts...
  • Options
    valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    On several of the game interviews, they said that they plan on adding connecting areas outside of Neverwinter. At launch there will be a few outside areas. But they will add more as the game and updates allow. Pretty much like Wow has done with their expansions. Except we won't get soaked like Bliz does by having to buy each expansion :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    valandur1 wrote: »
    On several of the game interviews, they said that they plan on adding connecting areas outside of Neverwinter. At launch there will be a few outside areas. But they will add more as the game and updates allow. Pretty much like Wow has done with their expansions. Except we won't get soaked like Bliz does by having to buy each expansion :D

I really hope two of those connecting areas are luskan and the Crags....as there is just a boat load of history and lore in those areas.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Crags is going to be extensive part of storyline - Gautlygyrm's entrance is located in crags where dwarven expedition is. (remember spider tweet in crags?). Luskan is mostly destroyed so unless in the way to north, it would come later in the game.

Probably the largest areas would be in the Neverwinter city itself - remember that only protector's enclave area is under Neverember's rule and the rest has been overrun by various things. There is also that large tear ... um ... abyss in the center east of neverwinter. Maybe open areas will consist there - full of hostile creaures and thus open world fights with demons and all kinds of monstrosities.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Crags is going to be extensive part of storyline - Gautlygyrm's entrance is located in crags where dwarven expedition is. (remember spider tweet in crags?). Luskan is mostly destroyed so unless in the way to north, it would come later in the game.

Probably the largest areas would be in the Neverwinter city itself - remember that only protector's enclave area is under Neverember's rule and the rest has been overrun by various things. There is also that large tear ... um ... abyss in the center east of neverwinter. Maybe open areas will consist there - full of hostile creaures and thus open world fights with demons and all kinds of monstrosities.

Yeah I was speaking about the Ruins of Luskan which still has a strong Pirate influence, also speaking of the abyss really hoping there is content there that isn't just dungeon delve, but yeah I'm straying off topic now sorry.
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The Abyss area is The Chasm which we have already seen in the lore video so I believe that will be open world with the end part being a dungeon delve.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Actually, Elminster has been known to ride Drakes (Elminster's Ecologies), Dragons and other creatures he has befriended. He does not like controlling creatures against their will to do his bidding however.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Actually, Elminster has been known to ride Drakes (Elminster's Ecologies), Dragons and other creatures he has befriended. He does not like controlling creatures against their will to do his bidding however.

Yes but it isn't a proprietary mount which makes my earlier point that these things should never be a common (as in you can buy one for 25 bucks in the C store) sight in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Yes but it isn't a proprietary mount which makes my earlier point that these things should never be a common (as in you can buy one for 25 bucks in the C store) sight in Neverwinter.

Well, there are several Faerun Kingdoms that employ flying mounted mercenaries and militia. There was even the Knight of the Flying Hunt prestige class in 3rd where all the knights would get a trained pegasus. There is even the Champions of Valor supplement that introduced more rules on flying mounts within the Realms.

But.. I'll settle for a simple fly spell. ;)
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I doubt mounts (while likely overpopulated based on the game history) will block things. Vehicles often unseat once you go into building areas based on Cryptic games. Since this aiming thing is new I personally have no idea however if mailboxes could be blocked or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ... Since this aiming thing is new I personally have no idea however if mailboxes could be blocked or not.
    Actually there is a certain button in cryptic games. If you press it, players will be ignored from selection and you can select only npc (even when between you and npc many players are standing).
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    Also most the games (at least RaiderZ, I hate using it as an example for EVERYTHING, but I guess its successes are at least as noticeable as its mis-management) that use reticle targeting have a button for bringing up the cursor.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    valandur1 wrote: »
    WOW has not many expansions if you consider it was released in 2004 and still it has roughly 10-11 million players. Though top glory was in 2010 when I enjoyed it most then there were 12 million active players which is still World Record.

It is the sub(12.50 euro/month) that costs a lot in WOW. WOW is the best MMO that I have played, but I have paid more then 500 euro for WOW so I am happy that Neverwinter is a free game.
    The Abyss area is The Chasm which we have already seen in the lore video so I believe that will be open world with the end part being a dungeon delve.
    Anyway on to topic yeah I hope they will increase the outside World and in time when world grows there will be more need for mounts. I really want mounts. That said if with limited resources I can choose mounts vs PvP and that we have at least 5 playable classes at release(Cleric and MAYBE Ranger(or some other class)) then I think mounts can be postponed to after release.
  • Options
    izashiuizashiu Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I agree, while it is a good fast and free way to travel you lose the experience of getting lost and fighting monsters.
  • Options
    edivonedivon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i hope we won't see mounts being stuffed into your backpack whenever you don't need them
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    edivon wrote: »
    i hope we won't see mounts being stuffed into your backpack whenever you don't need them

they go in your bag of holding :P
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    izashiu wrote: »
    I agree, while it is a good fast and free way to travel you lose the experience of getting lost and fighting monsters.
    if it is a true open world like i have heard ,then you are so gonna wish to have a mount.Let me ask u, when u travel from one state to another do u walk or do u drive/fly?
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Anyway on to topic yeah I hope they will increase the outside World and in time when world grows there will be more need for mounts.I really want mounts.That said if with limited resources I can choose mounts vs PvP and that we have at least 5 playable classes at release(Cleric and MAYBE Ranger(or some other class)) then I think mounts can be postponed to after release.
    Relax, they have mounts. Dev tweet about being a drow and riding a spider through a cave system for one.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    if it is a true open world like i have heard ,then you are so gonna wish to have a mount.Let me ask u, when u travel from one state to another do u walk or do u drive/fly?
    Those were medieval times. Most people did walk unless they had lot of stuff to carry. If they had stuff, they traveled in caravans or wagons. Horses were only used when you had "urgent" work and had to hurry. Journeys were supposed to be an oppurtunity to see places, not a burden to be completed quickly.
    health002 wrote: »
    they go in your bag of holding :P
    Oh no! Not the bags of holding!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    edivon wrote: »

Yeah one thing I loved about Skyrim your Horse stayed wherever you parked it...they could do something like that by making the horse only rideable by the owner (because Horse jacking would become the new past time of the Jerkish) and maybe have the horse disappear back into your inventory after say half an hour.

Waiting for demands of being able to steal other peoples mounts in 3....2....1.:rolleyes: