What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The downside of mounts

Comments

• Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Yeah one thing I loved about Skyrim your Horse stayed wherever you parked it...they could do something like that by making the horse only rideable by the owner (because Horse jacking would become the new past time of the Jerkish) and maybe have the horse disappear back into your inventory after say half an hour.

Waiting for demands of being able to steal other peoples mounts in 3....2....1.:rolleyes:

dude am so for this ,please hijackings !!!
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    The biggest annoyance with mounts will be all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> everywhere!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    The biggest annoyance with mounts will be all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> everywhere!
    You can use a demonic mount and burn all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> doing service to neverwinter.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    You can use a demonic mount and burn all the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> doing service to neverwinter.

And releasing harmful methane gases into the air.

We don't need traffic pollution in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    And releasing harmful methane gases into the air.
    Good thing. Methane will increase greenhouse effect and keep the winters away.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Origami horse. There MUST be a spell for that somewhere!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Most western-based fantasy people don't know how to crraft-fold it!

And I'm sure there will be plenty of room in the backpack for the mounts before the bag of holding comes into play...I mean, I dunno :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    deleted on a second thought ... kind treading on a dangerous road there :p but was a reference to how DDO increases your inventory space.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    deleted on a second thought ... kind treading on a dangerous road there :p\\ but was a reference to how DDO increases your inventory space.

On a side note, the Inventory screen and system is the worst part of every RPG I have ever played. All the inventory systems suck: re-organizing things and sorting through them looking for something is always a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, screenshots confirm it is a classic square box per item and using the paper doll equip. That's all we know though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited December 2012
    I really hope there are no flying mounts and no mounts in backpacks. On the other hand selling mounts and mounts getting killed by wolves could get old fast. Why not just leave your mounts where you get off them, but nobody else can see them or touch them until you get back on them. Yes I know not realistic but this is a game. You could have a stable benefit where when you stable them you can then pick them up at any stable.

Regarding flying and flying mounts I hope it would be time limited and/or situational. Wizard cast fly spell and he can fly for 60 seconds. Cleric cast windwalk and walk through the air for 60 seconds. I think it is a nice addition if only casters have the ability to fly. Maybe rouges or Warriors could get boots of flying that work for 60 seconds at high level. Do a quest for a powerful being and they put you on a flying mount to get there. time limits tied to flying are a part fot he original D&D game and would work great to limit flying to something that more matches the realms.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Unfortunately flying is extremely hard to implement in most games as terrains are designed to control the character's progression. I wouldn't be surprised (or even disappointed) if we didn't see any sort of flying spell.

Flying mounts, on the other hand, aren't terribly difficult to to bring to the game as creatures that simply hover a small distance above the ground. I suppose fly spells wouldn't be terribly difficult to bring into the game in this fashion either, simply as a run speed buff that could possibly be used to overcome terrain difficulties (like spikes on the ground, pit traps, or hot coals?)

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a dismount option the kind that you describe, talsic, except that I'd like the option to tell my mount to follow me :)

It sounds like the developers are pretty much done coding and bringing mounts to the game, though, so this might be something we could ACTUALLY GET INFORMATION ABOUT the next time Crypt or Mel pops their head in around here.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As much as we like realism for roleplay, in our hearts somewhere we already know that in MMO that kind of thing may not be implemented and considering everything appearing/disappearing mounts may be the best bet after all, even when unrealistic.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    appearing/disappearing mounts may be the best bet after all

I would be very surprised if this wasn't the case. I have nothing against it, but I'd sure much rather see a dismount with a follow or stay option. And perhaps the mounts always zone with you.
  • Options
    edited December 2012

Flying mounts, on the other hand, aren't terribly difficult to to bring to the game as creatures that simply hover a small distance above the ground. I suppose fly spells wouldn't be terribly difficult to bring into the game in this fashion either, simply as a run speed buff.

Considering champions online already has (complete) flying, teleportation and even building swinging implemented. I would not worry about its implementation. Obviouly if devs want to, they can easily implement it considering they have done so in other game using a less updated physics engine.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Doubtful based on the base travel type, but it could be started for a year or two down the line however.

But I'm not getting why it's OK to have flying mounts and signature mounts only the user can interact with, but it's wrong to put them in inventory bags? The suspension of disbelief has caused an unstable liquid reaction with the particles to blow up in my face! (Look up suspension here to get my punnery.)

Well, just for that I'm insisting they be stored in bags to the devs! *Evil laugh*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Yeah. Actually there is no suspension of disbelief either - everyone knows that in D&D your inventory is like TARDIS - bigger on the inside ...

And flying mounts are there in D&D but I hope they are only used at certain points in official missions. None of the flying mounts are beasts of burden but are like friend who can be used in only most desperate and dire of circumstances - like eagles in LotR were only used during most-est desperate-est times.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I agree here. How many of you can say that as a pnp player, you've never been inside (or encountered someone who has been inside) a Bag of Holding or something similar (Djinn's, even...)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I agree here. How many of you can say that as a pnp player, you've never been inside (or encountered someone who has been inside) a Bag of Holding or something similar (Djinn's, even...)

Oh sure, we would even use portable holes as rooms, just take bottles of air into them so you can breath. Also used for an elaborate trap if you fill it with water.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    All of those stup...err, brave enough to try didn't have breathing sources and died. So none of my characters ever were suici...err, adventurous enough.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    All of those stup...err, brave enough to try didn't have breathing sources and died. So none of my characters ever were suici...err, adventurous enough.

if it were me, i would have crumpled my sheet and asked DM to let me make a shahguin PC...
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    if it were me, i would have crumpled my sheet and asked DM to let me make a shahguin PC...

Lars Heyton, on the topic, Shahguin:
    "We beat them off."
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    On a side note, the Inventory screen and system is the worst part of every RPG I have ever played. All the inventory systems suck: re-organizing things and sorting through them looking for something is always a pain in the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

A little bit to much like RL in that respect I suppose.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    A little bit to much like RL in that respect I suppose.

Hah, yeah.
  • Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    Like most I'm pretty excited to see that there will be mounts in Neverwinter but it also brings up major concerns.

Are we going to have to deal with idi..err "people" on mounts inside every building?

What about using them to grief? Blocking mail boxes and entryways is a huge problem in TOR and WoW despite what the devs say..it has been well documented.

What about flying mounts? They seemed like a awesome idea when wow introduced them but having tons of them hovering a couple inches over the street is frustrating not to mention it makes for empty zones because everyone if flying to their destinations and when everyone and his uncle has one they just aren't that special not to mention it isn't very Forgotten Realms.

Finally mounts other than horses I really hope we don't start having pigs, wolfs, Gnome contraptions, mammoths and flying swords for mounts, LOTRO has mainly horses ponies (and a ram) and they have been able to give us a huge variation in those mounts.....this would be a excellent model for Cryptic.

That's my two coppers on it I would love to hear other viewpoints.

Ok here are a few facts about mounts:

1. We can and do control specifically which areas allow mounts. Currently you can only use mounts in persistent exterior zones.

2. I don't foresee griefing with mounts being an issue in Neverwinter, but we will be able to test this during beta.

3. Having worked on all previous Cryptic titles, I can happily say that no flying mounts are planned. Adding flight to a game presents some crazy challenges for the content and environment art team, and not having flight actually allows us to make the game look better.

4. There are already a wide range of horse mounts, as well as other creatures.

5. AFAIK most mounts that are not horses have a reference as a mount in D&D lore. (we have to get these by WOTC anyway)

6. You can currently use mounts in PvP, but you can be knocked off if you are damaged enough and you auto-dismount when you interact or attack.

7. The same auto-dismount policy applies in PvE
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    6. You can currently use mounts in PvP, but you can be knocked off if you are damaged enough and you auto-dismount when you interact or attack.

Can you tell us some more about PvP, like, are they arenas where players face off, or are they maps with objectives (like capture the flag), or battlegrounds where large groups of players are on a field? Can we use the Foundry to make PvP content and adventures with PvP elements?

Also can I haz alpha key plox :)
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Auto-dismount in PvE means that you can't hope to aggro half of the zone and hope you get out safe? That might slow down the game a little bit, though.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    Auto-dismount in PvE means that you can't hope to aggro half of the zone and hope you get out safe? That might slow down the game a little bit, though.

Depending how high level you are, it's relatively easy to travel through a zone on a mount and stay mounted. You can expect to be thrown off your horse if you charge into a large group of evenly matched enemies though.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Can you tell us some more about PvP, like, are they arenas where players face off, or are they maps with objectives (like capture the flag), or battlegrounds where large groups of players are on a field? Can we use the Foundry to make PvP content and adventures with PvP elements?

Also can I haz alpha key plox :)

I can't say a lot about PvP yet because a lot is still changing about it. I can say there will be battleground style PvP maps with large groups, capture point based maps, and... well no I probably shouldn't reveal that part just yet.

We want to allow PvP map creation in the Foundry, but this will likely happen after launch because PvP is one of the last features being added and we need a lot of lead time to add it to the Foundry.
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Depending how high level you are, it's relatively easy to travel through a zone on a mount and stay mounted. You can expect to be thrown off your horse if you charge into a large group of evenly matched enemies though.

Very well, that's what i was expecting. Thanks for the answer.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus