test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The downside of mounts

124»

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    This game is active combat - a lag of 1 sec in between means the game is as well as trash. And it is not an instance based game.

DDO has major lag issues by just adding few new features. I did rather not face any kind of lag while adding a few things which can be done without. Or it may be better to do it just a bit differently with less load.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    This game is active combat - a lag of 1 sec in between means the game is as well as trash. And it is not an instance based game.

DDO has major lag issues by just adding few new features. I did rather not face any kind of lag while adding a few things which can be done without. Or it may be better to do it just a bit differently with less load.

No I get what your'e saying and it's true for games that are using engines whose technology are five to ten years old, a set of motivated developers with the right engine you could have your cake and eat it too is all I'm saying.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I just hate game company's that scale their games down to accommodate the craptacular junk pc's out in the world O_o
    People get rid of your Zuse's Z1 computers please
    edited December 2012
    health002 wrote: »
    I just hate game company's that scale their games down to accommodate the craptacular junk pc's out in the world O_o
    People get rid of your Zuse's Z1 computers please

Not everyone has the money for a 1k video card dude and it would be incredibly stupid for a developer to cater to just high end machines; you still have a huge number of people with single or dual core processors and DX 9 video card the loss of revenue would be staggering.

I'm running a very high end machine right now....and honestly it was waste because just a few games puts it through it's paces and out of those few games there is maybe two I actually like. It makes sense for devs to go this route because going forward more and more people will come to the same conclusion I have, that you can take a low to mid range machine do a little tweaking and run damn near anything that is available today if you actually know what you're doing.
    edited December 2012
    Not everyone has the money for a 1k video card dude and it would be incredibly stupid for a developer to cater to just high end machines; you still have a huge number of people with single or dual core processors and DX 9 video card the loss of revenue would be staggering.

I'm running a very high end machine right now....and honestly it was waste because just a few games puts it through it's paces and out of those few games there is maybe two I actually like. It makes sense for devs to go this route because going forward more and more people will come to the same conclusion I have, that you can take a low to mid range machine do a little tweaking and run damn near anything that is available today if you actually know what you're doing.

i have no proof ,but back in 1999 when eq came out the forums was a buzz about tons of people not able to play the game.A dev replied saying "more then likely anyone wanting to play this game would need to upgrade to the newest pc version ", eq was a hit ! Whats the saying? "If u build it,they will come".
  • runamonkrunamonk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Don't forget there wasn't anything else really like EQ when it first released. It was awesome!
    i have no proof ,but back in 1999 when eq came out the forums was a buzz about tons of people not able to play the game.A dev replied saying "more then likely anyone wanting to play this game would need to upgrade to the newest pc version ", eq was a hit ! Whats the saying? "If u build it,they will come".
  • syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well development of games years ago required from people to upgrade their pc and it move both hardware and software development. Right now we come to a point where people spend so much money on stuf they don't need that when it comes to games they have problem with finding money for new pc.

We have 2013 soon and i think its good time to show some new standards. Even companies like AMD and Nvidia agree with complain that most of games now don't need so much power and it stop development of high end hardware since not many people are buying it.

So to put it short "there will be no progress if we keep looking back"
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
    edited December 2012

That was almost thirteen years ago, the entire mindset of the MMO player has changed drastically they want a great deal for little to no investment and will give you the finger and walk away if you don't provide it...I learned that the hard way consulting.
    edited December 2012
    If and When eq3 comes out.I Pray and hope that my state of the art PC is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and wont even run it on low graphics :D
    edited December 2012
    If and When eq3 comes out.I Pray and hope that my state of the art PC is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and wont even run it on low graphics :D

Unlikely considering you can run planetside 2 on a a used toilet paper roll and a paperclip and that's the engine they are using.
    edited December 2012
    Unlikely considering you can run planetside 2 on a a used toilet paper roll and a paperclip and that's the engine they are using.

lolol You think i can run my commodore 64 with a windows set up ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l48lUD6KNA
    edited December 2012
    lolol You think i can run my commodore 64 with a windows set up ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l48lUD6KNA

Maybe just maybe...:P
    I was being facetious, but I have gotten single core machines with 1st gen DX 9 cards to rock Planetside2 and not look bad doing it. The min specs are nowhere near the actual min specs
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    I've actually heard that the planetside 2 engine isn't optimized very well but looks nice.

The optimization problems should be ironed out by the time EQ3 comes out.

But yes it's going to use the same core engine as of the last interviews I read.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    Maybe just maybe...:P
    factious

facetious?
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I've actually heard that the planetside 2 engine isn't optimized very well but looks nice.

The optimization problems should be ironed out by the time EQ3 comes out.

But yes it's going to use the same core engine as of the last interviews I read.

Yeah and for an unoptimized engine it's pretty damn impressive, but so was Neverwinter they were running a Alpha build at Gencon and the videos does not do this game anywhere near justice. The weather effects especially the lightning is jaw dropping.
    edited December 2012
    facetious?

Damn you Chrome spell check!!!!!!!!
    edited December 2012
    This has been already been discussed by cryptic. NW will be such that it will have a wide range of spectrum - people with lowest end pc will be able to run it, and people with high end PC will be able to have awesome graphics which will make you **** ** ** *****

This is because, as devs say, 'we want everyone to play our awesome game'.
    edited December 2012
    facetious?

it was close enough for me,but
    ifupeoplestarttogoafterpeoplethatdontspellrightamgonnastarttotypewithoutusingaspacebar !!!! <---spell check please
    edited December 2012
    it was close enough for me,but
    ifupeoplestarttogoafterpeoplethatdontspellrightamgonnastarttotypewithoutusingaspacebar !!!! <---spell check please

My brain is full of ****!

But... but... factious means something fundamentally different than facetious...
    I know, the internet isn't a good place to be a spelling and grammar <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    if it is a true open world like i have heard ,then you are so gonna wish to have a mount.Let me ask u, when u travel from one state to another do u walk or do u drive/fly?
    I live in a town on state lines so I can walk to another state easy... but I know what you mean.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Also to the point of mounts being in your bag, I remember some lore about a bag of holding from NWN 1 "Bags of holding, prized by pack rats far and wide, originated among the mischievous kender in the far-off world of Krynn. According to popular folklore, one enterprising kender actually founded a utopian village inside his bag of holding. It apparently continues to thrive to this very day. "
    I think we can put them in the bag if a village can live in one.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited December 2012
    Can I ride a dire tiger? :)

I'm not sure if Neverwinter is going to be separated in "servers" like most other MMO's, but perhaps it would be a smart move to have separate RP servers for players that value things like what I'm seeing in this and other threads (no dangerous looking creatures summoning/riding in town, running around jumping over in tables, spamming chat windows with out of character messages, etc).

As much as some hardcore geeks would like Neverwinter to keep as their secluded piece of heavenly online roleplay game, I'm pretty sure that Neverwinter needs to aim to appeal every potential mmo player, not only those that do pen and paper. That would only limit Neverwinter's level of success and its ability to thrive and evolve.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.
    edited December 2012
    One server architect has been confirmed for Neverwinter - check FAQs. RP specific shard was talked about with devs here and it is not possible was their reply (somewhere in Answers by devs thread).
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    One server architect has been confirmed for Neverwinter - check FAQs. RP specific shard was talked about with devs here and it is not possible was their reply (somewhere in Answers by devs thread).

Yep and CO and STO are the same way and they both have epic RP communities as a matter of fact I think it works way better that way than having a RP server that all the griefers and asshats can target.