Install Arc
Options

About wizard combat animations

totemakistotemakis Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Library
Hi all,

been watching this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vNMqSWF1aU#

(which i saw it mentioned in another thread below)

Does anybody see a problem with the animation moves?

From my perspective it looks like animations from another class, monk for example ?

Moving while in combat reminds a bit of bruce lee legendary style?

In overall not very wizzy style?

What you think?

P.S: personally i think the wizard combat animation doesnt quite fit, bit strange since thief combat animation looks great
Post edited by totemakis on

Comments

• Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    totemakis wrote: »
    Hi all,

been watching this video on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8vNMqSWF1aU#

(which i saw it mentioned in another thread below)

Does anybody see a problem with the animation moves?

From my perspective it looks like animations from another class, monk for example ?

Moving while in combat reminds a bit of bruce lee legendary style?

In overall not very wizzy style?

What you think?

P.S: personally i think the wizard combat animation doesnt quite fit, bit strange since thief combat animation looks great

It helps if you check for previous topics on this. I refer you to:

Wizard's attack stance is not good

done not even a month ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    totemakistotemakis Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Haven't noticed, thanks for pointing out.

Unfortunately it gives me no wizzy feeling at all with that "walking on hot coals" and "hands up" thingy
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    totemakis wrote: »
    Haven't noticed, thanks for pointing out.

Unfortunately it gives me no wizzy feeling at all with that "walking on hot coals" and "hands up" thingy

One of the complaints is the movement isn't totally represented as the recording tool messes with the movement's appearance, so I'd need to see the movement personally or make sure what I see is live play recorded on a video. Assuming this is true from the videos we've seen, we need to do what we're seeing and give feedback on not only the problem, but potential animation solutions on how we want to have the movement flow. We also need to see multiple races to see if this is a racial movement issue or class issue, as well as multiple stances.

Once we pinpoint these issues, we then press on the so-called early development period to press animation movements in question (walking, running, combat swings, etc) are re-rendered more smoothly with specifics.

But did you check the class movements in different stances with different races?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    and he stays with one hand up like he's some sort of shaolin monk.......wtf is with that ?
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the link! I'm surprised I haven't found it earlier. Anyhow, at some point (character creation I think) it almost seems like the player can chose starting region. Anyone else making the same assumption, or am I viewing this wrong?

On topic: Yeah, the combast "stance" looks very much as a monk. Maybe it'll change if the character is holding a weapon at the same time. Unless it's not possible to hold/wield a weapon while having a spell "armed"... Is it?
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    and he stays with one hand up like he's some sort of shaolin monk.......wtf is with that ?

He is using the orb to attack. So that may be the reason (as oracles do it to their ball - raise a hand to give electricity to the LCD screen of the ball).

I think animations for books and staffs would be different - but we haven't seen those in action yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    He is using the orb to attack. So that may be the reason (as oracles do it to their ball - raise a hand to give electricity to the LCD screen of the ball).

I think animations for books and staffs would be different - but we haven't seen those in action yet.

he hold his left hand in the air even when he walks....

he looks like a monk from nwn 1
  • Options
    finktankfinktank Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    i have to agree this wizard thinks she's a monk
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    finktank wrote: »
    i have to agree this wizard thinks she's a monk

Quick, incorporate Enlightened Fist into Fourth Edition! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    valistariusvalistarius Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A bit off topic, but what I found slightly amusing was the director's statement about wanting to move away from the traditional MMO combat system where you target your enemy and then press certain buttons in a specific sequence, only to rinse and repeat.

Then I watch 20+ minutes of control wizard gameplay where the character does what? You guessed it: repeatedly performs the same 3-4 actions over and over again.

But I agree, the animations are somewhat off for a wizard.
  • Options
    gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I do agree though, they seem to be using a lot of the same skills, which is a huge issue in a lot of video games. The reason is because of gaming and balancing limitations. The game certainly doesnt feel like Neverwinter where as you have a whole list of level 1 spells you can choose to cast.
    The animation for combat is definitely quite horrible, but I have some faith that it will be fixed. I've never played a Perfect World Game or Cryptic MMO so my faith could be misplaced.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    phew I thought I was the only one that thought the wizard animation was wrong somehow. If they have that orb it should be floating over there hand with the say the right palm out and it spinning over it and the left hand up in a cast animation possibly and one of the problems is in all the videos they are not wearing robes but some MC hammer pantsuit getup. Animations do need to be looked at this would be best if we could all play it...oh wait yeah how about that beta for feedback:)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Watched the video again as well as looked at video press often see. I noticed the reason the fingers are up is it's like holding a pistol at a readied position. The orb is on the opposite hand area even if not held. After seeing it, I can say it makes sense when you look at the spells, but unless you have the right mindset, it does appear martial arts over arcane.

Secondly, almost missed it but the first moments of the world shw the CAMPFIRE we've been discussing. This must be that place where you regen or heal up and swap powers. I'm guessing at the beginning of every adventure, there's likely a campfire. I wonder if we can make our own too?

Finally, it was brief, but yes, you do have cities where you chose character backgrounds! What they do I have no idea, but wonder if they are linked to lore?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mysterionamysteriona Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I love the casting animations but that combat walking animation makes me lol.

It looks like the wizard has a pine cone up his butt or something. I'm gonna grab a cape asap if this is not fixed.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    mysteriona wrote: »

It looks like the wizard has a pine cone up his butt or something. I'm gonna grab a cape asap if this is not fixed.

Ummm, err,well...I'm not supposed to talk about it, but.....

Until they have the other animations done, the wizard is storing their wand and especially their staff....well...up there.

That's another one I'm not touching with a 10-foot pole :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mysterionamysteriona Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Until they have the other animations done, the wizard is storing their wand and especially their staff....well...up there.

Lol!!!! Now that was funny ^_^
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    mysteriona wrote: »

Wow wow wow wow.....you don't use cape for you're wizards ?
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    She's just got good posture?
    Seriously though I don't have anything to say about the wizard combat animations. Looks fine to me, except that it could use more animations. Add some randomness. Just because you're casting the same spell 6 times doesn't mean it needs the exact same animation 6 times. A little variety would go a long ways here.
    Also, the way she holds her left hand in place as a sort of focus? Adding something there wouldn't be terrible.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Yea I must say way they walk does look like How the poor souls walk after I shoved my Ruby Rod ..up there...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    legendreborn15legendreborn15 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This is especially annoying since you use teleport to slightly hasten walking from place to place. Even though I only was able to play for a few hours this was my biggest complaint, I don't move like a wizard.
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Wish there were plans to fix the combat animations of the wizard before beta begins.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    falleniciclefallenicicle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited November 2012
    The wizard walking animation just looks too... stiff. And the way she holds her hands up to cast is just odd. Hopefully it's just a placeholder.
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It just hit me, Skyrim combat stance when dual wielding spells is a good idea of what I think is a more natural stance. The hands are out but not in some kung fu style look. I am not saying replicate it but it definitely looks more natural than the stance they have going now. Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Here is an idea. Cosmetic player animations. Just a thought. Do what ever you want with that Cryptic.
  • Options
    catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It looks awkward and kung fu. Funny how Lich Queen Valindra walks and attacks gracefully while a wizard looks like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. No offense :D We should really have staves. And wands. And merfolk as NPCs or enemies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    It looks awkward and kung fu. Funny how Lich Queen Valindra walks and attacks gracefully while a wizard looks like a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. No offense :D We should really have staves. And wands. And merfolk as NPCs or enemies.

I'd love to disagree, but the more I see every wizard screen with those two fingers up, the more I wanna tell 'em where to shove those two fingers. Definitely growing to hate it here Cryptic, and just would like hands at the sides.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I think the animations could do with a little bit of tuning, especially the movement animation, but overall, I like them. Color me crazy, but I feel like "looking like a martial artist" is exactly what somebody who makes a living casting battle magic while neck deep in orcs ought to look like.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    guriphu wrote: »
    I think the animations could do with a little bit of tuning, especially the movement animation, but overall, I like them. Color me crazy, but I feel like "looking like a martial artist" is exactly what somebody who makes a living casting battle magic while neck deep in orcs ought to look like.

Then release the monk class and use that stance. You won't hear me complaining if a crazy monk looks like that. But we intelligent wizards don't bullseye "HEY THERE'S A WIZARD OVER HERE, LOOK AT MY FINGERS!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Here is an idea. Cosmetic player animations. Just a thought. Do what ever you want with that Cryptic.

Yes! I've wanted this since back in Champions Online beta. Closest thing that has is picking an enimation point for your powers.
  • Options
    badibhaalbadibhaal Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I agree with everyone saying the movements for wizards are too "monkish". Hopefully they'll finda a way to tweak it and make us look like proper casters :)