Install Arc
Options

Favorite wizards

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kittymofo wrote: »
    Jon Irenicus. He secretly liked bear smileys and David Warner voiced him! b:victory

If he "liked" them, I feel sorry for bears. I mean, not even they should have to bear a fate worse than death... Oh! The tortures...
  • Options
    kittymofokittymofo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    "bear a fate worse than death" I see what ya did there. b:chuckle
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dark Schneider from <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!!

Or Merlin.
  • Options
    travestiiitravestiii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Weis and Hickman's Raistlin Majere always drew my eye as the essential imperfect hero. I have admired many others but they have always paled in comparison to the hourglass eyes in terms of fully developed persona.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Speaking of the Master, no better time to create an avatar to enlighten the masses!

*GAH, spell fizzle! Where's the cool new avatar I loaded up? :confused:
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I liked Raistlin a lot too.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    travestiii wrote: »
    Speaking of the Master, no better time to create an avatar to enlighten the masses!

Was it a wizard from Frobozz? :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    travestiii wrote: »

Try reloading it. Took me three tries for my self-portrait to "stick".
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Was it a wizard from Frobozz? :)

Although I'm not ruling out any possibilities, there is a slight chance that I failed an Intelligence check roll.
  • Options
    raistlin6144raistlin6144 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Raistlin Majere by leaps and bounds, not only my favorite wizard, but also my favorite character in general. Very well thought out, even after death he was amazing! =D
  • Options
    rjp33rjp33 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How many great arcane spellcasters have the FR given us? Elminster, Manshoon, Sazz Tam, the Simbul, Halaster, Blackstaff and, of course, Harkle Harpell. :D Fave Non-FR wizards would include Pug, Raistlin, Gandalf and Merlin, though my all-time favourite magic user (though technically not a wizard) would be Allanon.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    rjp33 wrote: »
    How many great arcane spellcasters have the FR given us? Elminster, Manshoon, Sazz Tam, the Simbul, Halaster, Blackstaff and, of course, Harkle Harpell. :D Fave Non-FR wizards would include Pug, Raistlin, Gandalf and Merlin, though my all-time favourite magic user (though technically not a wizard) would be Allanon.

If Merlin the Druid is considered a wizard then I'd accept Allanon (even though sometimes the name looks like a 12-step support group *ducks*)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    If Merlin the Druid is considered a wizard then I'd accept Allanon (even though sometimes the name looks like a 12-step support group *ducks*)
    I'm sure he counts. Heck, in history Merlin was even a warrior in some myths and a shaman in others and in more recent times, he's a druid or wizard. Some have him as an alien hybrid too. ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I'm sure he counts. Heck, in history Merlin was even a warrior in some myths and a shaman in others and in more recent times, he's a druid or wizard. Some have him as an alien hybrid too. ;)

I thought they claimed Jesus of Nazerth was the hybrid Human-Alien? Now Merlin is too?

Is there any hero who allegedly isn't a half alien?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Ever read Mercedes Lackey's books, she got it all right. I just wish i had more time to read them all as I've fallen quite behind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, Allanon was my first real fantasy icon, as the Shannara books were my first book series in general (and I still read them to this day). But I also like Elminster, and Gromph Baenre is pretty awesome too.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
  • Options
    rjp33rjp33 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well, Allanon was my first real fantasy icon, as the Shannara books were my first book series in general (and I still read them to this day). But I also like Elminster, and Gromph Baenre is pretty awesome too.

A second vote for Allanon. Yay! Though I did forget Gromph. Doh! Good pick-up, BG. :o I also like Danilo Thann, but that's more about style than wizardly might. Alustriel should probably get an honourable mention as well.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Morgana Lefay ? Nobody ?
  • Options
    bloodgambitbloodgambit Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    She's more of a sorceress.

@Maekada in-game

Formerly MaekadaFolay on the forums.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I actually am a fan of Morgana as well, in nearly every rendition that she's made an appearance in :)
  • Options
    weirdaxelweirdaxel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Dalamar the Dark. Saruman. Can't really think of any others that have not been mentioned.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    weirdaxel wrote: »
    Dalamar the Dark.
    I liked Dalamar too, loved his appearances in the The Wizards Three short stories in old Dragon magazines.
  • Options
    ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012

Pug was one of my favorites, I really enjoyed that series!

Ezra Steel
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »
    Pug was one of my favorites, I really enjoyed that series!

Ezra Steel

You do know Pugs story isn't finished right, the series is ongoing. The last book of the chaoswars saga (Magicians End) should be out soonish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Dalamar was ok, but I felt he was inferior to Raistlin in every way, though after Raistlin's death he did become one of my better liked characters
  • Options
    zynk0zynk0 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    A tie between Merlin and Elminster. While Gandalf appeared to be a wizard, he was so much more than he appeared to be, so I took him out of the running and gave him an "honorable mention."

Gandalf was a wizard but he did wield one of the Rings of Power, Narya the Ring of Fire.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    No mage can beat Merlin. According to BBC, he is druid, wizard, shapeshifter(shapeshifts to old man), Dragonrider, has telekinetic powers, is actually becoming a swordmage and a jester(bard).
    Not to mention he has a rare pet as a lover...

Thinking back, I missed some - e.g. alchemist, herbalist etc...

But then it just means he is a true multiclass 4e bard. Thats what he is. That is why he rules. The bloody 4e bard-multiple-multiclassing shtick!
  • Options
    guardianvalourguardianvalour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I have never understood why so people like Jon Irenicus from Baldur’s Gate II Shadows Of Amn. David Warner did a great job voicing him, but I found the character himself to be very bland.

*SPOILER Warnings
    He was a well-respected member of his society, who craved power and had delusions of grandeur; a man who broke the law, risked countless lives, and never took any responsibility for his actions. And deemed what punishment he did receive for his criminal acts, unjust. To me, he was a dime a dozen villain in terms of his motivations.
    /End Spoiler

Of course that is just my opinion, and I know that there are many people who do disagree with me. I just don’t understand what it is that people like about him.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Those are the very things which made him human and "flawed" and at the same time likeable.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    *SPOILER Warnings
    He was a well-respected member of his society, who craved power and had delusions of grandeur; a man who broke the law, risked countless lives, and never took any responsibility for his actions. And deemed what punishment he did receive for his criminal acts, unjust. To me, he was a dime a dozen villain in terms of his motivations.
    /End Spoiler

Thouse are the reason people like him + he's cool. It's as simple as that.