test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Monsters we hope to see

nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
The Sword Coast is teeming with creatures fell and frightening. Many will die by my hammer. Beyond the common orcs, goblins, kobolds, skeletons, zombies, dire rats, etc, what sort of monsters do you hope to see in NWO? I'll throw out a few notables:

1. Gelatinous cube. Deep dark corridors and tunnels would not be the same without cubes (and oozes). Weird creature you say? Welcome to D&D.
2. Beholder. Other then the dragon, what monster is more iconic to D&D?
3. Succubus. I'm serious. Stop giggling.
Post edited by nimloh on

Comments

• Options
    jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Beholder is good to see in a D&D game but i want to see Ilithids sucking brains! BRAINS!!!
  • Options
    stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nimloh wrote: »
    The Sword Coast is teeming with creatures fell and frightening. Many will die by my hammer. Beyond the common orcs, goblins, kobolds, skeletons, zombies, dire rats, etc, what sort of monsters do you hope to see in NWO? I'll throw out a few notables:

2. Beholder. Other then the dragon, what monster is more iconic to D&D?

The Lich, The Dracolich, The Owlbear, The Phase Spider (one of my personal favorites!), certain oozes and slimes...

D&D has a really large staple of awesome monsters to face off against, many of them iconic. I can't wait to start getting you all in-game so you can see some of the creatures you'll have to face down.

Cheers,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Beholder is good to see in a D&D game but i want to see Ilithids sucking brains! BRAINS!!!

Sorry for the double post, but how on earth did I forget about Illithids in the last post?

I must have a mindflayer eating away at me...
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post, but how on earth did I forget about Illithids in the last post?

I must have a mindflayer eating away at me...

On of my love to hates as well, along with Beholder, Dragons and Devils/Demons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I will know no joy until I can terrorize unsuspecting adventurers with Dark Mantles and Owlbears.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    enygmasoulenygmasoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'm not a lich.
    I'm nothing undead.
    I'm LAW FUL GOOD (honest!)
    I'm not a lich, *****.
    None of us are perfect.
    But none of us can be happy with adventurers attacking.
    Adventurers who think hacking and looting are ways to
    Be a hero, be a hero
    Adventurers, be a hero
    I'll go to Waterdeep, and do what they do!
    Doo doo doo doo
    I'm Szass Tam of Thay, and I'm good!
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with senses, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use "
    -- Galileo Galilei
  • Options
    jankowskijankowski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    Wheres my Mimic :)
  • Options
    aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    demogorgon, demilich, demons, devils, angels, driders, displacer beast, dragons, elementals, golems, gorgons, hydra, get some minotaur to kill, mummy, naga, nightwalkers, trolls of course, mindflayers, and everything else in every monster manual ever...

I have faith that it'll be epic.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    jankowski wrote: »
    Wheres my Mimic :)

If you can't see it anymore...don't touch anything! Lemme sit down and think what I should do ne...ARRRRGH!

*Gulp...PTOOO!*

[Spits out the dusty tasting sage-flavored being...whew!]

Over...there!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surfaceivsurfaceiv Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I'd like to see a Modron or two and a few other extra-planar characters.
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    displacer beasts

pseudo dragons (pet?)

treants

chimeras (need more leather for a new set of armor...)

gnomes "i love parties!" / get'm Francis!

lythari (hopefully not hostile, would be a shame...)

vampires (not LeStat, not Edward Cullen, more Dracula: Christopher Lee or Bela Lagosi)

griffons (mount?)

unicorns (mount?)

asperii (mount?)

hippogriffs (taste like chicken... J/K, mount?)

githyanki

the good old water weird...
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Owlbears for sure. So flipping through my monster manual, hence the alphabetical list...

Cyclops - One-eyed giants what's not to love.
    Drakes - they don't seem to get the same love as Dragons.
    Giants - I don't feel like a game has done giants well for a while.
    Gnolls - heck I'd play as a gnoll if possible.
    Hydra - again not as popular as Dragons proper.
    Minotaur - though like gnolls I'd love to see them as PC's too
    Satyr - Again, loved to see them as PC's, but they make great villains too.
    Trolls - Goes with giants
    Wyverns - See Drakes, Hydra
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jankowskijankowski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    I also forgot to mention I want a Sphinx... who gives riddles... and if you get them wrong it deletes your character... :)
  • Options
    jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I also forgot to mention I want a Sphinx... who gives riddles... and if you get them wrong it deletes your character... :)

dat's harsh!
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012

What is your name?
    What is your favorite color?
    What is your quest?
  • Options
    zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    The Sword Coast is teeming with creatures fell and frightening. Many will die by my hammer. Beyond the common orcs, goblins, kobolds, skeletons, zombies, dire rats, etc, what sort of monsters do you hope to see in NWO?

Orcs should be a playable race, not mobs.b:chuckle
  • Options
    shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Elementals and Golems. And of course, the Tarrasque!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
  • Options
    alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Xzar! Tiax! Irenicus!
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I second the mention of the Terrasque! That could be one epicly rare world event!

Also, Hakeashar!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I second the mention of the Terrasque! That could be one epicly rare world event!

Also, Hakeashar!

The Terrasque has always been a favorite of mine, it's changed quite a bit though since 1st edition, but so has the Lich and Owlbear.
  • Options
    macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »

Also, Hakeashar!

heheh i couldnt agree more, mostly with the rare event thing.

About mosnters... well theres no much more to add, u guys already metion almost all the "iconic" monsters in the D&D world :)

Hopefully i can see them all ingame
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    About mosnters... well theres no much more to add, u guys already metion almost all the "iconic" monsters in the D&D world :)...

Has gelatinous cube been mentioned? Not that I wish to see it...
    *checks the ceiling quickly*
    "Safe!"

Ok first post has cubes, but no rust monster? Rust monster needs love!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    "Safe!"

OOhh not to mention all the puddings and oozes give people a reason to carry burning oil and torches.

..Also Trolls, I could lay out a Demi-Lich in a gaming session and it wouldn't get people as worked up as a handful of Trolls...well experianced players, it's always fun to hear the new guy say "what's the big deal it's just five trolls?" b:laugh
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    "Safe!"

Ok first post has cubes, but no rust monster? Rust monster needs love!

I've been trying to talk one of our designers into making a "trap" in which the characters get sealed into a room, and a strange black, icky substance starts pouring in from a drain/grate in the ceiling.

Then the black pudding attacks...

He keeps saying that's too mean, so I think I might have to do it myself in a Foundry mission at some point.

Cheers,

Stormshade
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I'd love to see an Al-mi'raj, or it's North American cousin in out own realm, the Jackalope.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I've been trying to talk one of our designers into making a "trap" in which the characters get sealed into a room, and a strange black, icky substance starts pouring in from a drain/grate in the ceiling.

He keeps saying that's too mean, so I think I might have to do it myself in a Foundry mission at some point.

Cheers,

Stormshade

What a great idea! I fully support something like that. Also perhaps put a mimic in that room, you never know these players - they grow too fast :p
    *takes a note not to play that foundry mission but goad others to it*
  • Options
    surfaceivsurfaceiv Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2012

pseudo dragons (pet?)\.

Good call.

Also Blink Dogs and the Gem Dragons.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012

Cheers,

Stormshade
    I have a charm spell somewhere that might help with that.

More seriously though, I hope you do not mind but I may just have to place this trap you inspired against my players... Indeed! The ooze family are great trap/surprise creatures.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Cheers,

Stormshade

There is no such thing as too mean in D&D :P..yeah that is begging for a foundry mission and it heartening that we will be able to design such things.