test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Monsters we hope to see

124»

Comments

• tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In the Spelljammer series, the accessory Practical Planetology suggests the tarrasques originate from the planet Falx. Several hundred tarrasques live there in a docile state, where they are silicavores (rock eaters); upon removal from their homeworld their temperament changes to the violent, rapacious one better known elsewhere in the Dungeons & Dragons universe.

So even if a tarrasque is killed, someone with a very powerful teleport ritual could bring another one in (and probably die shortly thereafter).

As far as the game goes, I'd suggest that the Tarrasque awakens after an interval that is randomly between 20-30 days since the last instance, and then rampages around a certain area for 2 days or until it is beaten (chased away) and goes back to sleep. I know the actual rules say that it sleeps a lot longer than that, but who actually wants to wait for real time? I'd say for that two days each month any group could attempt the instanced fight; there wouldn't be actually just one in the game.

Also, you'd have to allow at LEAST 20 people in the same instance to fight this thing.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Isn't Tarrasque creature of destruction only appearing when world is about to end? Should be saved for the transition for 4e to next - whenever it happens.

Bingo it's not a Tarrasque, it is The Tarrasque as there is only one, and you can't kill it you an get it down to negative so it will go back into slumber or you can use a wish spell to banish it.

I actually used this one time one of the party members was granted a wish spell, she had a choice she could have used it on the beast or used it to bring her slain Husband back (fell into a lava pool nothing left for a resurrection) it made for some high drama
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    tinyish wrote: »
    In the Spelljammer series, the accessory Practical Planetology suggests the tarrasques originate from the planet Falx. Several hundred tarrasques live there in a docile state, where they are silicavores (rock eaters); upon removal from their homeworld their temperament changes to the violent, rapacious one better known elsewhere in the Dungeons & Dragons universe.

Yeah but few people actually use that as canon and it goes against most everything else that has been written about them.

Personally I purged with fire all references of SpellJammer from my campaign except for the Illithid's because tentacles rock.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Isn't Tarrasque creature of destruction only appearing when world is about to end? Should be saved for the transition for 4e to next - whenever it happens.

Nah, it hibernates for long periods of times, generally anywhere between ten to a twenty years, give or take several years, and awakens to feed but only remains awake for several weeks. Sometimes it will only sleep for a few months, others it may sleep for a hundred years. In any case, it is never awake very long. It is neither good nor evil, it is of animal "neutral" alignment.

This, along with only being able to be destroyed by a correctly worded wish spell, is why it would make the perfect rare world boss that only appears once every few months of real world time. Thankfully for DM's, we can find fault in just about any wish spell's wording if we wanted. (in the linked post above, it was the incorrect wording that caused said wild surge in my campaign and sent it to the future instead)

IIRC, the wording was something like this: "By the magic of Mystryl, I now wish the wild beast known as the Tarrasque would be gone from this existence." Keep in mind, in my Campaign, Mystryl was never killed by Karsus' Avatar, so she still holds the portfolio of Time.

Unless the DM customizes it, there is only one Tarrasque in existence and it lives in the Torillian Prime Material Plane and was created by the primordials. Since it is in the MM II however, it can easily be ported into any campaign setting.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Not necessarily the outright end of the world, but it will feel apocalyptic.

Well, a lot has been said about it already, but here's the 4e (only) stat block on it. Tchnically since we don't have Wish in 4E you only need to bring it down to 0 for it to "retreat," but it's still unclear how one "kills" it as in all versions.

Tarrasque
    Gargantuan elemental magical beast
    Level 30 Solo Brute XP 95000

Initiative +23 Senses Perception +19; blindsight 20
    Earthbinding aura 40; any flying creature in the aura has its fly speed reduced to 1 and maximum altitude reduced to 20 feet (putting it within the tarrasque?s reach). Any creature above this altitude at the end of its turn falls to an altitude of 20 feet automatically.
    HP 1420; Bloodied 710
    AC 43; Fortitude 49, Reflex 38, Will 32
    Immune charm, fear; Resist 10 to all damage
    Saving Throws +5
    Speed 8, Burrow 8, Climb 8
    Action Points 2
    S2.gifBite (standard, at-will)
    Reach 3; +34 vs AC; 1d12+16 damage, and ongoing 15 damage (save ends).
    Z2a.gifFury of the Tarrasque (standard; not usable while bloodied, recharge 5a.gif6a.gif)
    The tarrasque makes a bite attack and one of the following attacks:
    ? Rending Bite: reach 3; +34 vs. AC; 3d12 + 16 damage, plus the target takes a -5 penalty to AC until the end of the tarrasque?s next turn.
    ? Tail Slap: reach 3; cannot use against the same target it attacked with its bite; +32 vs. Fortitude; 3d12 + 16 damage, plus the target is pushed 4 squares and knocked prone
    Z2a.gifTrample (standard, at-will)
    The tarrasque can move up to its speed and enter enemies? spaces. This movement provokes opportunity attacks, and the tarrasque must end its move in an unoccupied space. When it enters an enemy?s space, the tarrasque makes a trample attack; +33 vs or (whichever is lower); 1d12+16 damage, and the target is knocked prone.
    Z1a.gifFrenzy (standard; usable only while bloodied, at-will)
    Close burst 3; the tarrasque makes a bite attack against each creature within its reach.
    Elder of Annihilation
    The tarrasque?s attacks ignore all resistances.
    Eternal Slumber
    When the tarrasque is reduced to 0 hit points, it sinks back into the world?s core and slumbers once again.
    Alignment Unaligned Languages -
    Str 42 (+31) Dex 26 (+23) Wis 18 (+19)
    Con 36 (+28) Int 3 (+11) Cha 7 (+13)
    Description: A TERRIFYING EMBODIMENT OF WANTON DESTRUCTION, the tarrasque attacks without motivation or purpose?unless that purpose is to obliterate all life.
    vangald wrote: »

Oh that's nice...really nice....Here, you might want to augment it with this new corset...it laces in the back too...let me take you to these people who listen to your stories and write them down. The psych...err, "bards" will see you now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kittymofokittymofo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    who wants this monster in the game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSMNKQl5DYo
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I will say that if D&D players saw that creature in NW they would be petrified.
    Although I'm not exactly sure they would be scared for the right reason...
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kittymofo wrote: »

Song...won't....leave....head....

*Gets out Paddle of Punishment +2*

Assume the position. You know why :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    kittymofo wrote: »

I've always like that one but truly believe this one to be much more insidious!

I've always liked the mimic and the bag of devouring
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    I've always like that one but truly believe this one to be much more insidious!

I've always liked the mimic and the bag of devouring

Must focus on prior annoying song before sleep....

Attack!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I will never forget the first time I encountered a mimic in PnP D&D.
    "What!? Why am I rolling a D20? Against you?! For Initiative against what!?"
    "A mimic?"
    "A what?"
    "The chest wants to eat you."
    "Are you bleeping kidding me!?"

Oh yeah...that was a learning experience...
    I never looked at big chests the same way again.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Player: "I open the ornate door and walk through"
    Me: "You open the door and begin walking straight into... the spiked toothed gaping mouth of a MIMIC! Roll initiative everyone."
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yeah the stupid monsters whose only purpose in life is to surprise the player. The floors which gives away to digest you, the ceiling, the walls and even stalactites(the one from ceiling of caves) who are just waiting forever for you to visit abandoned places where the probability of normal people coming is the absolute least - and waiting for you to fall upon you.
    *sigh*
    I will give them initiative just for their passion!
    edited October 2012
    Along with the Hakeashar and Tarrasque, another couple monsters I would love to see are the Phaerimm and Shadevari.