test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Monsters we hope to see

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Replace Rats with Wererats. Make the condition contractable to humiliate anyone who dies to one of these hilariously unfortunate creatures.

Wererats are core in 4e neverwinter. They will surely be there. Luskan raises these wererats and their leader is a certain fat bard...

They are not hilariously unfortunate but dangerous and cunning. I am sure they are worthy to be the boss of at least paragon level NW campaign.

Fortunately the lycanthropy and various kinds of shapeshifts are not an infectious disease anymore but hereditary effects(as I explained elsewhere). So bitten by them, you will go insane and "think" you are a rat for a day or two, but won't actually become a rat.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Well it looks like the beholder is confirmed

https://twitter.com/CrypticZinc = Craig Zinkievich‏@CrypticZinc

"Oh man. I just saw a Beholder in #Neverwinter!"

also mentioned milestone's,

Craig Zinkievich‏@CrypticZinc

"Whew. Back from a whirlwind trip to China - now going through end of a milestone for #Neverwinter. Many awesome new systems to playtest"

alsocan some of you check you friend requests
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    There's ways to do almost anything in The Foundry, it's really an incredibly powerful toolset.

However, there are also limitations...

If I were to build this in The Foundry, I'd set a trigger to close the door behind you when walked into the room, and then further into the room, I would trigger the monster spawn.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to make it appear as the thick black substance pouring from the drain in the wall, but we may have other tools to help with that.

Cheers,

Stormshade

I don't remember seeing this anywhere so I'll ask: can we trigger pop-up text?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    In DDO, Oozes often drop from the ceiling. Something similar to that, and maybe some text to supplement the dropping action, and you have ooze pouring in from a vent in the ceiling. Is pouring out of a drain in the wall any different?
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    In DDO, Oozes often drop from the ceiling. Something similar to that, and maybe some text to supplement the dropping action, and you have ooze pouring in from a vent in the ceiling. Is pouring out of a drain in the wall any different?

I am not so sure about getting it to actually look like it oozing; the animation is going to be the crux here IMO. I know in DDO, you often get oozes dropping as you mentioned, and coming out of grates along walls, (like drains), so location should not be an issue.

I agree, that some text, and perhaps an audible "squishy slurpy" sound could allow imagination to take over, and have the minds eye realize the animation. Tricking the eye with different types of stimulation.

I have seen animated water in games, that would pour out of drains, or well up from the ground; maybe a simple re-skinning of a water animation could do the trick.

All I know is that the various gelatinous creatures found in D&D, (DDO), are fantastic, and I cant wait to hastily sheath my sword, in favor of something a little less dainty. >)
  • alfrunaalfruna Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am definitely looking forward to the Gelatinous Cubes, oozes and slimes. Bring on the Ochre Jelly!
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    alfruna wrote: »
    I am definitely looking forward to the Gelatinous Cubes, oozes and slimes. Bring on the Ochre Jelly!

I am strangely craving a HUGE piece of bread...
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • torgaardtorgaard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The otyugh and the carrion crawler.

Every dungeon needs refuse disposal, right? Gotta have it. And these guys will get the job done. They're like dungeon janitors. That will eat you.
  • adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Ettin, Ogre, Ogre Mage, Gargoyle, Mummy, wraith, wights.

An encounter of Piercers will often get a fun result anytime your adventurers ever find themselves in a cave with just normal stalactites. Then hit em from below with something while they have there shields up and are scanning the cave ceiling.

Rust monsters are a hoot watching the warrior hide behind the skirts of the wizards types.

Carrion Crawlers are a nasty surprise now and then as well.
    edited October 2012
    Rust monsters are a hoot watching the warrior hide behind the skirts of the wizards types.

Not really ... considering most of the wizards in DDO are warforged wizards ... they both try to push the other in front of the rust monster and one with higher STR check wins.
  • tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I really want to see Animated Objects. Chairs. Candlesticks. Cutlery. Curtains. I think it might be too difficult to make them be a challenge to the players.

What about other small creatures? Fairies?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I am both thrilled and terrified to hear of the Beholder!

Wondering what the tweet means about character creation polish too....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Well not to be contrary but one monster I DON"T want to see is the infamous lag monster and his cousin the DC monster!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    I didn't search for it, but I'm thinking...
    The Tarasque?
    That'd be a good end-game raid.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I didn't search for it, but I'm thinking...
    The Tarasque?
    That'd be a good end-game raid.

That was mentioned but by golly, the Terrasque is worthy of another mention! The Terrasque, in my opinion, would make an ultimate World Boss that spawns like once every couple months, if such could be implemented in the game and not an instance dungeon.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    That was mentioned but by golly, the Terrasque is worthy of another mention! The Terrasque, in my opinion, would make an ultimate World Boss that spawns like once every couple months, if such could be implemented in the game and not an instance dungeon.

OOOH!

/Thirded!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    That sounds like Grond from Champs. He's a behemoth, four-armed monstrosity that literally jumps around one of the open world maps clobbering any player or non-player creature that he happens to land next to.

Knowing the story behind the Terrasque it sounds like suitably epic hazard to drop randomly into areas.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Terrasque is fantastic for sure; I'd also like to see some huge purple worms, and some frost worms as well. Death from below!
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Yep, the Tarrasque is my all-time favorite. Better than any dragon in my book. Check out the specs: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The Tarrasque is an elite boss monster if I ever saw one! o.O

However I'm not entirely sure how it could be implemented considering wish spells and miracle spells are unlikely to be implemented into *any* D&D Video Game. It would likely need to be tied to some slaying item instead of a wish spell.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The Tarrasque is an elite boss monster if I ever saw one! o.O

However I'm not entirely sure how it could be implemented considering wish spells and miracle spells are unlikely to be implemented into *any* D&D Video Game. It would likely need to be tied to some slaying item instead of a wish spell.

The way I always did Tarrasque encounters was that the party just beat it down enough to where it would flee back towards Netheril and leave whatever City it was heading to alone, that was considered the "end" of the encounter. Well, that is until one of the PC's became a Demigoddess... Sadly, there is no more Tarrasque in my world's timeline as it is now off wreaking havok somewhere in the future due to a wild surge when the player tried to wish it dead.

*evil DM future plot grin*

A very rare world-encounter with the Tarrasque could work similar, the masses of players would need to beat it down until it flees back to its lair or back where it will hibernate for another month or so.
    edited October 2012
    Andy, can you make us an Epic-Tier Tarrasque boss

*flutters eyes*

Pleeeease?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nwn0babayaganwn0babayaga Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    anyone mentioned the otyugh? Great creature that i would like to see. A bit difficult to animate to make it not look stupid while moving hehe;)
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Haha, oddly enough I've been looking at that creature for 2 days in the back of my BGII Guide Book!
    The book just happens to be unburied from within my computer desk. It was given to me in horrible condition and without the cover and the last page, at least that I have, has the Otyugh on it. I actually forgot they existed other than that ugly monstrosity catching my eye every few days haha.

I'd love to see some absolute monstrosity like that in the game but it's definitely going to be a challenge to design that one.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Andy, can you make us an Epic-Tier Tarrasque boss

*flutters eyes*

Pleeeease?

That would be an amazing Delve! An outdoor scenario where the Tarrasque has been set loose in the streets of Neverwinter.

Oh..the possibilities. b:laugh
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    That would be an amazing Delve! An outdoor scenario where the Tarrasque has been set loose in the streets of Neverwinter.

Oh..the possibilities. b:laugh

Oh..... Tarrasque leather armor...

*starts massively scribbling in her wishlist*
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
    edited October 2012
    Oh..... Tarrasque leather armor...

*starts massively scribbling in her wishlist*
    Isn't Tarrasque creature of destruction only appearing when world is about to end? Should be saved for the transition for 4e to next - whenever it happens.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
  • calengarcalengar Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Since there will be a lot of Dark Elves roaming the streets, especially in the form of PCs, I expect DRIDERS!

It would be amusing for a PC Dark Elf to get waylaid by a a Drow Underdark press gang, kidnapped back to the Underdark, accused for being a "race traitor", not worshiping Lolth or just not being plain EEEVIL enough! The punishment would of course be eternal damnation in the form of a drider!

Unless of course the main character gets saved by the unbelievable power of PLOT and continues onward with his epic adventures...

Perhaps a mock trail would be entertaining!

Accuser : Are you or are you not a traitor to your race?
    Defendant : Of course not! I would never go against Dark Elf interests!
    Accuser : Oh? Then are you EEEVIL enough?
    Defendant : Well, alignment has become a sketchy thing of late. Suffice it to say that I pillage and murder just like any other Dark Elf!
    Accuser : Do you worship Lolth, the Dark Mother of us all Drow?
    Defendant :Errrm...Yes?
    Accuser : So you don't want to confess do you!? No matter! Your honour I have solid evidence that the accused was FRATERNISING with other RACES in this....human...city of Neverwinter!
    Jury : *GASP!*
    Judge : I have heard enough! Off to the high priestess with you!

Oh! You don't need to hurry on releasing the paladin class too quick! I had my fill of holy drow paladins of Ebberon!
    I need my dose of EEEVIL!
    I just want to get back to my roots where I expect something to be EEEVIL at least let there be a VALID chance of being EEEVIL! This also means no friendly tea parties with absent minded liches!
    edited October 2012