Install Arc
Options

Where is the Developement team?

Comments

• Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    testinukke wrote: »
    I agree. I don't give any weight to any of the tradeshow awards and very little to professional reviews. I mean what game isn't going to have some site awarding something to it or giving it a good review?

The things that I appreciate are communication and honesty. I don't care about flowery hype words and I absolutely loathe cinematic trailers because no game is going to match the marketing hype around it or the feeling or look of a well made CGI trailer. I want details. I want facts. Most of all I want personal experience with the game. I'm a demanding and largely disillusioned gamer. You can't sell me the same old in a shiny new package and expect me to like it. I want a proof that the game truly matches its promises.

I largely ignore and forget games while they are in development unless there's a really good developer-community relationship going that keeps me intrigued. As a fan I want to feel like I'm important! I want to see developers are dedicated to their fans and wish to interact with us rather than see us as a nuisance. Honestly it doesn't happen that often so games like Neverwinter where even community manager is largely absent tend to drop off radar fast. That being said even if I did miss the release I'm sure I'll end up trying the game once the gamer grapevine ends up reminding me about it.

Very well stated, Testinukke.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    draogndraogn Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Unfortunately communication is not one of Cryptics strong points. They keep telling us it will get better, but it never does.
  • Options
    qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, when you look at their other games like champions of STO, you notice how many twitts and news they share, Neverwinter is largely ignored. And I agree, the communication sucks.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What folks don't get is PWE MO is sparse communication until beta starts; I think this is more of a PWE thing than a Cryptic thing; once things get rolling I suspect they will be as communicative as they are with STO and CO.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Snip

Now that doesnt sound like someone wetting a diaper now does it? :)

That is up for interpretation, at the very least it sounds like someone trying to play armchair marketing analyst. This isn't Cryptics or PWE first Rodeo, both companies have very profitable titles and Crypic has this despite having the worst publisher ever for the past few years. I think Neverwinter is going to find it's audience and be profitable no matter.

Call me an optimist.
  • Options
    qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, stormdrag0n - this could have been the truth of it... if this would happen only after Cryptic got bought by PWE. And it didn't. There was some more talk from the devs, but it was always sparse. Plus, they can negotiate and do stuff. Seriously, if Witcher 2 was managed to be DRM-free and with free DLC - well, I believe things can be different.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What folks don't get is PWE MO is sparse communication until beta starts; I think this is more of a PWE thing than a Cryptic thing; once things get rolling I suspect they will be as communicative as they are with STO and CO.

I wouldn't buy it. Compare it with Raiderz which will be a fair comparison due to parallel timelines.
  • Options
    edited July 2012

The communication over on the CO and STO boards isn't any better, and this isn't some new development. There has always been a lack of communication, and the only common factor is Cryptic because Atari is no longer around to be the scape goat, and while Perfect world is far from 'perfect' and I am sure they have some part in it. Cryptic is just as much at fault.

If Cryptic's titles had been profitable they wouldn't have gone f2p and it is unlikely that Atari would have sold them.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    draogn wrote: »
    The communication over on the CO and STO boards isn't any better, and this isn't some new development. There has always been a lack of communication, and the only common factor is Cryptic because Atari is no longer around to be the scape goat, and while Perfect world is far from 'perfect' and I am sure they have some part in it. Cryptic is just as much at fault.

If Cryptic's titles had been profitable they wouldn't have gone f2p and it is unlikely that Atari would have sold them.

Oh Horse hockey.......

I have been a player of STO and and CO since the beta tests no developer communicates more than those teams, they might not tell you exactly what you want to hear but they are forever showing up on podcast doing interviews and talking to folks on the forums.

And saying that if the titles would have been profitable they wouldn't have gone F2P shows just how clueless you are about the industry to begin with.
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    You guys just need to accept that this game isn't even close to beta access and move on. At this point I don't even expect a launch untill summer 2013. We will be lucky to even see beta this year. They haven't even managed to get the forums working correctly yet, what makes to believe they have the game even close to beta testing?

I have completely lost faith in this team to do anytjhing but blow smoke up our arses.
  • Options
    nebuchadnezzar7nebuchadnezzar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tinypyro wrote: »
    You guys just need to accept that this game isn't even close to beta access and move on. At this point I don't even expect a launch untill summer 2013. We will be lucky to even see beta this year. They haven't even managed to get the forums working correctly yet, what makes to believe they have the game even close to beta testing?

I have completely lost faith in this team to do anytjhing but blow smoke up our arses.

If a late release means a better game, I am fine with it. People have tantrums if the information changes, or the game is late, or something does not make it in the game, etc. That is the problem with giving a lot of information, and a probably a big reason we do not get a lot of information.

I will admit they have not done a great job at even giving teasers, and I have gone months with out checking the forums due to that. But I understand why they do not push out a lot of information and promises.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    tinypyro wrote: »

This page and the recent availability of the beta client would like to have a word with you.

Might want to head over to the SWTOR forums, "the sky is falling" rants go over much better there .
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh Horse hockey.......

Even if it is not directed at me, these kind of profanities on public forums are really nauseating when directed against somebody.

Considering you are just not trolling, I suggest you withhold posting when you find yourself typing something like this and talk from 10 to 1 taking deep breaths. After that state your opinions politely or with polite humor instead of profanities.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh Horse hockey.......

I have been a player of STO and and CO since the beta tests no developer communicates more than those teams, they might not tell you exactly what you want to hear but they are forever showing up on podcast doing interviews and talking to folks on the forums.

And saying that if the titles would have been profitable they wouldn't have gone F2P shows just how clueless you are about the industry to begin with.

You clearly don't know much about business. If one method is proving successful and profitable a business is less likely to change.

As for communication you can believe what you want, but if you think what we have here is acceptable, then your expectations are low. These games have been barely surviving, the lack of communication, customer service, and content are all some of the reasons.

For CO, It has been 6 months since there has been any news about the region bans, it took 5 months for any kind of state of the game. The only thing that has shown up recently in the announcements have been about new stuff in the cash shop or some sales to items very few want. The last state of the game announced yet another EP was stepping down from his position on the CO Team. STO is just about as bad, though their state of the games have been posted a bit more reliably.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Even if it is not directed at me, these kind of profanities on public forums are really nauseating when directed against somebody.

Considering you are just not trolling, I suggest you withhold posting when you find yourself typing something like this and talk from 10 to 1 taking deep breaths. After that state your opinions politely or with polite humor instead of profanities.

What is it with the Tyrs Paladium guys anyway?

You are not a moderator you are not a Cryptic employee, if you don't like what I have to say then don't read it.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You clearly don't know much about business. If one method is proving successful and profitable a business is less likely to change.

Yeah clearly....LOTRO didn't exceed their projected profits for three years in a row...they went F2P because the game was a huge fail developers never ever go F2P to increase an already good base it's a fail or not fail deal every time.

/sarcasm
    As for communication you can believe what you want, but if you think what we have here is acceptable, then your expectations are low. These games have been barely surviving, the lack of communication, customer service, and content are all some of the reasons.

I believe the facts and those facts are that Cryptic does a pretty damn good job at talking to it's fans in both STO and CO yeah there are always some whiners that start ranting about lack of communication because they aren't addressing their pet agenda...they are usually the same ones that has been predicting doom for both games since they launched despite record profits.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    You are not a moderator you are not a Cryptic employee, if you don't like what I have to say then don't read it.

No, thats not how it works. This is a public forum. If someone doesnt like what you have to say, they have every right to tell you so. YOU are not the only one granted with the sole responsibility to offer your opinion.

Please do not use profanity in my thread. Do not talk in a condescending manner in my thread. Do not provoke and ridicule my guildies. It is against this forum's EULA.

Regardless if the moderator is AWOL, hunting bison in Yellowstone, or playing Rock-paper-scissors with a cross dressing drunken dwarf named Kinison, please keep your conversation good-natured and on point when commenting, fair enough?

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

That's a bit of a stretch for profanity. It's not even on the gray list.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2012
    Threads belong to Perfect World, not the user who posted them. I'd also suggest reading this page: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=686 and note the part about reporting violations.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    No, thats not how it works. This is a public forum. If someone doesnt like what you have to say, they have every right to tell you so. YOU are not the only one granted with the sole responsibility to offer your opinion.

Please do not use profanity in my thread. Do not talk in a condescending manner in my thread. Do not provoke and ridicule my guildies. It is against this forum's EULA.

Regardless if the moderator is AWOL, hunting bison in Yellowstone, or playing Rock-paper-scissors with a cross dressing drunken dwarf named Kinison, please keep your conversation good-natured and on point when commenting, fair enough?

Oh Jesus climb off your high horse, if you have a issue take it up with Stormshade maybe he will take action..though more than likely he will probably roll his eyes and ignore you for being over the top once again.

Once more you lot aren't the voice of this community...nine times out ten you are little more than Hall monitor wannabes, that is when you're not making threads whining about communication.

zebular wrote: »
    Threads belong to Perfect World, not the user who posted them. I'd also suggest reading this page: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?f=686 and note the part about reporting violations.

And....THIS^^
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh Jesus rant

Yea ok, you keep drinking the kool aid.

But we got your opinion, thank you for your input. Im interested in opinions from others in the Neverwinter community now, as well as the releases Stormshade has committed to in this thread, so peace out.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Yea ok, you keep drinking the kool aid.

But we got your opinion, thank you for your input. Im interested in others' opinion now, so peace out.

And you keep showing us exactly what you're all about...god knows you already have endeared yourself to Stormshade with your webpage rants.

By the time the game launches your guild will no doubt be Ahem "famous"
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    And you keep showing us exactly what you're all about...god knows you already have endeared yourself to Stormshade with your webpage rants.

By the time the game launches your guild will no doubt be Ahem "famous"

We will be good neighbors and an integral part of the community here for many years to come. We do not seek fame of any type, just our space amongst good neighbors.

Anyhow, good luck in your gaming exploits.

• Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Wait. Horse hockey is a profanity? Dammit I was training a team when the ice broke way from the weight and they all died! THEY COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED! I COULD HAVE NOT WASTED THAT MONEY! b:cry
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Wait. Horse hockey is a profanity? Dammit I was training a team when the ice broke way from the weight and they all died! THEY COULD HAVE BEEN SAVED! I COULD HAVE NOT WASTED THAT MONEY! b:cry

lol haha thats good stuff right there ;) Words are meaningless to me, however, whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.

Some barbs tho against others by a few in this thread were not called for and hardly significant.

This thread does call for more insight from the dev team on current state of the game, offers some marketing ideas/insight, calls to improve communication, open up the floor to idea generation, nothing more.

With a forum population this small, this early in the game's history, we should all show respect for one another, after all we are all here for the same reason.

Remember, we ALL are playing a role in defining what those will remember of the Neverwinter community years from now.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Wait. Horse hockey is a profanity? ...

Is it not? Sounded like one. I guess I misunderstood then.
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    Not a tantrum. Far from it friend. I am simply being realistic based on what I see. Or to be more specific, what I don't see. I have followed beta and development for several mmo's, and this one simply does not feel close. Bad marketing maybe. Poor communication perhaps. Either way it smells like delays and stall tactics. I honestly simy don't care anymore. 8-28 has lifted that burden.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah clearly....LOTRO didn't exceed their projected profits for three years in a row...they went F2P because the game was a huge fail developers never ever go F2P to increase an already good base it's a fail or not fail deal every time.

/sarcasm

I believe the facts and those facts are that Cryptic does a pretty damn good job at talking to it's fans in both STO and CO yeah there are always some whiners that start ranting about lack of communication because they aren't addressing their pet agenda...they are usually the same ones that has been predicting doom for both games since they launched despite record profits.

Actually Lotr and DDO did fail with the sub based model, they were losing money prior to switching just as Cryptic was with CO/STO, that is why they went f2p. For those two games it worked, CO and STO you say record record profits, do you have some kind of proof of this? If they had some kind of record sales Atari likely wouldn't have sold the company.

Even new companies like Trion are doing a better job at communication and producing content.
  • Options
    bunnyfockerbunnyfocker Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2012
    The F2P model that the asian MMOs pioneered is the future of the MMO business. Look at WoW, it's free up to a certain level... soon once they subs start slipping away it'll be completely free w/ ingame store.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    DDO almost did fail with the sub based model, but it was due to Atari's refusal to market as legally bound to in their contract. And it was very much deliberate, to make way for Cryptic upcoming D&D-based project, Neverwinter.

Two things saved DDO in my opinion, their often credited intestinal fortitude to switch pay model to f2p which was revolutionary for a US game developer AND its incredible bond it nurtured with its forum community. Without the incredible level of communication and trust it built with its playerbase, the f2p model would have never caught on and been successful.