test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Refinement: Technical Details

Comments

• Options
    nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User

I may be misreading what you are typing, but getting 4 procs on the same damage application would be multiproccing as with 4 Tenebrous enchantments they shouldn't all be firing, they should be increasing the chance of a single fire. Meaning that you should never see more than one Tenebrous damage from a single damage application.

Testing on a single target with how Tenebrous is on preview right now, I can fairly often get multi-procs from single target/single damage abilities. Which is not working as intended.

My bad @noworries#8859 , I mean that hitting multiple targets with an AoE skill (like SW Fireball) was looking like having some kind of cap at the number of Tenebrous equipped, but this "cap" it's probably my mind trying to find patterns at the way Tenebrous was working.

What I didn't notice is that Tenebrous was multiproccing while hitting multiple targets at once, just that if I do attack slower I get more Tenebrous procs per attacks done, which results on a net loss of DPS becuase you have to attack slower. This is also a reason I thought there was some kind of cap at the number of times Tenebrous could proc at any given instant.

I'll try to test (SW and GWF) with single target and see what happens.

• Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Tenebrous shouldn't work off of reflected damage or DoTs.

Does this mean that if I use Brand of the Sun (Devoted Cleric At-will that applies a damage over time to the target) repeatedly on the target that I have a 0% chance of proccing Tenebrous regardless of how many times I hit the enemy with Brand of the Sun?

Currently I preview I hit the training dummies approximately 200 times with 3 r13 Tenebrous enchants equipped and gots 0 procs. This 200 does not count the damaging ticks of Brand of the Sun, only the application of it. Is this working as intended?

The effect procs off of damage which isn't DoT or reflected damage. It doesn't proc off of abilities being used. Brand of the Sun only applies a damage that is a DoT (there is no difference between the first tick of a DoT and subsequent ones).

This would be working as intended.
    Doesn't this somewhat make the enchant completely unusable by any class that relies on DoTs to deal damage? SW, DC, HR (trapper), and maybe to a lesser extent CW and TR? Why wasn't it made to proc on only the first hit similar to a weapon enchant?

EDIT - it's worth noting that Tenebrous seems to still proc off of the first hit of DoT powers if the DoT also procs a weapon enchant at the same time, since the weapon enchant causes a non-dot damaging hit. I could not replicate any situation where this increased the number of procs, simply allowed some dot powers to proc tenebrous where they weren't able to before.
    Typically we have powers that proc off of At will/Encounter/Dailies, or powers that proc off of damage with restrictions (long internal cooldowns, low proc chance, certain types of damage don't trigger it, build up charges and then it fires off the effect).

There are advantages and disadvantages for each. Ones that proc off of power usage are very predictable and all of the powers a player is using will trigger it. Downside is that a player can only use powers so fast.

Damage ones have a lot that they can trigger off of, including having multiple opportunities for multi strike attacks, certain feats, boons, enchantments, etc. Downside is they can be less predictable and have some extra restrictions. Given that this is damage as a percentage from HP, it can be a significant extra bit of damage and the intent was not to have players have high deflect, throw a bunch of DoTs on different targets, and sit back and watch Tenebrous proc all over the place. I think the changes make it significantly more useful than it was with its long internal cooldown.

Given how many different things can trigger the Tenebrous enchant, I believe most classes can find a use for it. Even if they use several DoT powers.
  • Options
    nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    So that explains the reason Pillar of Power doesn't proc Tenebrous, because even the first tick is a DoT.

One thing that hurts the Tenebrous viability at PvE is that its damage goes through the monster level difference so that's a direct reduction of 25% of the base damage, and furthermore it can only go in offensive slots, it would be great if it was modified so it could be equiped at any slot, similar to the last eldritch change.
  • Options
    brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Hi @noworries#8859 ,

I'm not sure than players will change, for exemple, 4 randiant rank 14 (4000 power) who qives 10% of dps (100% of time) for 4 tenebrous rank 14, who risk to proc (28%,basically 1 time on 4), for 7% of HP as damages, on average 10k for endgames players.

So, in resume:
    Radiant: 2.5k on all hits at least
    Tenebrous: 10k on 1/4 hits.

Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k
  • Options
    darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I do want to point out though, that it is likely considerably better than they were, like rgutscheradev said, even if they are still not viable.
    Post edited by darthtzarr on

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• Options
    btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    @Darthtzarr

If you are in actuality getting less for your return the more you put into power, how is that not a diminishing return again?

brewald said:

Hi @noworries#8859 ,

I'm not sure than players will change, for exemple, 4 randiant rank 14 (4000 power) who qives 10% of dps (100% of time) for 4 tenebrous rank 14, who risk to proc (28%,basically 1 time on 4), for 7% of HP as damages, on average 10k for endgames players.

So, in resume:
    Radiant: 2.5k on all hits at least
    Tenebrous: 10k on 1/4 hits.

That's not quite right. 4000 power only gives you 10% "more" dps if you have 0 power. This isn't to be confused with diminishing returns (which power doesn't have), but rather relative increase. If I was going to deal 1,000 damage but I add in 4000 power, I will deal 1,100 damage instead. Now lets do it again, but this time I already had 4,000 power and was already going to deal 1,100 damage because I already had the power beforehand. I will now have a total of 8,000 power (20% bonus), and will deal 1,200 damage. 1,200 damage is in fact 20% bigger than 1,000, but it's not 10% bigger than 1,100. That new power only gave me an additional 9.1% more damage.

If we look at an end-game DPS in an end-game group, they will have somewhere between 120,000-250,000 power. This means that 4 radiant enchants are only going to give them 1.4%-2.5% more dps. Not 10% more dps.

Now the issue with comparing Tenebrous is the fact that is scales only off of your max HP. It ignores buffs, and power. This means that in an end game group where you have at absolute most 250-300k HP as a DPS, the enchant will deal 17.5k - 21k damage at most. It's proccing on average around 28% of the time. We have to just assume the average, since it's random. This should bring it to around 6k damage on average per hit, assuming we have 300k HP.

So to compare, we need to see which of these is higher, 6k damage or 1.4% more dps from 4 radiants. Now we don't know how much damage our theoretical DPS is doing, so that's the variable we need to solve for. How much damage must we do before 4 radiants outperforms 4 tenebrous assuming our DPS has 300k HP and 250k power (which attempt to give Tenebrous the biggest advantage it can possibly get). The answer is 425,000 damage. If our powers deal more than 425,000 damage per hit, radiant outperforms Tenebrous.

How many DPS do 425,000 damage or more per hit? Everyone. DCs do more than 425,000 damage per hit...
    This enchant will likely only see use in lower-end groups or solo content, where massive buffs don't exist. As long as we have less than 300,000 HP and deal more then 425,000 damage per hit, Tenebrous cannot win without any shenanigans.

I have yet to do the math for pvp though, where it looks like it could be on par with radiants there. If the enchant was designed to only be an engaging new toy for pvp that's probably fine, but then it should probably be advertised as such as well.

EDIT - note that this excludes the fact that DoT based abilities cannot proc it, it excludes the possibility of some feats and special abilities proccing tenebrous more than once, and excludes the bug causing multiple tenebrous enchants to proc at once.
    @Darthtzarr

If you are in actuality getting less damage increase the more points you put into power, how is that not a diminishing return?
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    You can rationalise it as diminishing returns on your percentage of power increase, but there is no diminishing returns on the amount of damage increase. 10% more of 1000 base damage will be 100 whether you have +100% or +1000% damage.

Diminishing returns typically refers to stats which are coded to actually yield less per point outside of this natural diminishing effect, such as damage taken debuffs under the new system. As your debuff total goes up, a debuff that normally adds 10% damage instead adds less than that, leading to a 'doubly' diminished effect, essentially.
  • Options
    eldritchxeldritchx Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    'percentage of damage increase', not power, sorry.
  • Options
    demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    I think the tenebrous has one niche application in PvE - OP's with templars wrath & burning light plus
    lightning enchantment. Go into a mob - proc TW for 500K HP - charge BL ticks 9 times. When you hit 5 targets with 9 BL ticks you get 135 lightning arcs plus 45 hits from BL ticks = 180 hits. Then watch Tenebrous do its thing.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I think the tenebrous has one niche application in PvE - OP's with templars wrath & burning light plus
    lightning enchantment. Go into a mob - proc TW for 500K HP - charge BL ticks 9 times. When you hit 5 targets with 9 BL ticks you get 135 lightning arcs plus 45 hits from BL ticks = 180 hits. Then watch Tenebrous do its thing.

According to the rules supposedly put in place by the devs, the enchantment cannot proc from DoTs, which should immediately disqualify Burning Light as a good application for the enchantment. If however Burning Light does proc the enchant, I would have to wonder if it isn't a bug, since last I checked it is a DoT.

Note though, that last I checked, weapon enchants procced by DoTs seem to be capable of applying Tenebrous, and I am fairly sure each tick of Burning Light procs weapon enchants, which I am not sure is intended either.

brewald said:

@Darthtzarr

If you are in actuality getting less damage increase the more points you put into power, how is that not a diminishing return?
    As eldritch stated, you never get less increase from power. The smaller relative increase comes from is being addition rather than multiplication. It's like giving 25 cents to a millionaire compared to giving 25 cents to a small child. On one hand you give the millionaire nothing of value, while on the other, you likely doubled the small child's life's savings. It's still 25 cents. The 25 cents own value didn't diminish, the relative increase did.

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

According to the rules supposedly put in place by the devs, the enchantment cannot proc from DoTs, which should immediately disqualify Burning Light as a good application for the enchantment. If however Burning Light does proc the enchant, I would have to wonder if it isn't a bug, since last I checked it is a DoT.

Note though, that last I checked, weapon enchants procced by DoTs seem to be capable of applying Tenebrous, and I am fairly sure each tick of Burning Light procs weapon enchants, which I am not sure is intended either.

brewald said:

@Darthtzarr

As eldritch stated, you never get less increase from power. The smaller relative increase comes from is being addition rather than multiplication. It's like giving 25 cents to a millionaire compared to giving 25 cents to a small child. On one hand you give the millionaire nothing of value, while on the other, you likely doubled the small child's life's savings. It's still 25 cents. The 25 cents own value didn't diminish, the relative increase did.
    BL is not a DoT, it fires individual attacks - if an enemy moves out of range part way through the discharge they stop being hit. The same goes for the CW's Icy Terrain.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    armadeonx said:

brewald said:

@Darthtzarr

BL is not a DoT, it fires individual attacks - if an enemy moves out of range part way through the discharge they stop being hit. The same goes for the CW's Icy Terrain.
    Then why is Pillar of Power classified as a DoT? If they move out, it stops. Still classified as a DoT.

EDIT - Actually, even better yet, why is Punishing Light, a devoted cleric at-will that must be channeled on enemies, considered a DoT?

• Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    No idea m8, sorry!
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    Side question: Does Fey's blessing still drops on the ground or does it goes right into the inventory? Please make the latter happen if doesn't already. It feels clunky.

And I'm giving my full support to those who wants Empowered to give more than 20k. I'm not good at pally, but I'd like to see people finding more powerhouse options than bondings and downsetting back to 20-25k if it becomes broken.

• Options
    chestercatrat#6924 chestercatrat Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Can anyone confirm if quartermaster enchants will continue to provide r6 and r7 enchants or has it gone the way of leadership bags?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Can anyone confirm if quartermaster enchants will continue to provide r6 and r7 enchants or has it gone the way of leadership bags?

Still enchants. Not my tests, but people whose info I trust. There did not appear to be any reason to aim for a higher % when opening bags than now.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    bettarghbettargh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    Sorry if my question has already being asked but this ost is huge and I can not go through all of it.

You say that you are making a simplified refining system but still Storm of the king weapon sets use different stones. Any particular reason for doing that? Except the fact that it is a relatively new mod? Or it will require rework?

Thank you
    Azral Ironforge@ Guardian FIghter Level 70
    Norbir Hammerblow@Oathbound Paladin Level 70
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    bettargh said:

Sorry if my question has already being asked but this ost is huge and I can not go through all of it.

You say that you are making a simplified refining system but still Storm of the king weapon sets use different stones. Any particular reason for doing that? Except the fact that it is a relatively new mod? Or it will require rework?

Thank you

Previously answered:
    #1: Storm King Thunder's extra refining stones will give the *lower* of their two displayed values, not the higher, for balance reasons. They will stop being the best way to accelerate Relic (SKT) Weapon RP. This is considered to be an acceptable tradeoff because they *were* useful in this way for many months previously.

#2: Storm King Thunder's weapons will continue to require special marks from the SVA/MSVA chests and the Sea Of Moving Ice tasks. This is because they are still the best weapons available for DPS classes who use them carefully.

(Frankly, if you don't already have your SKT weapons maxed out? I would switch to a River District or Chult set. If you're rich, I'd go for Stronghold 2 over SKT, at this point. Farming MSVA for the marks is just too annoying IMO.)
  • Options
    raymonj#7331 raymonj Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Quartermaster's: Bag of Goods Chance at Rank 12 had 5% Chance I think? The only reason why I bought 2x for about 1,3Mio AD.
    And now after Changes it will have 4,5% at Rank 14?

Damn that makes massively unhappy.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,218 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Quartermaster's: Bag of Goods Chance at Rank 12 had 5% Chance I think? The only reason why I bought 2x for about 1,3Mio AD.

And now after Changes it will have 4,5% at Rank 14?

Damn that makes massively unhappy.

According to the following, rank 12 is 3.5%.

https://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Quartermaster's_Enchantment,_Rank_12

The bottom of the page states "This page was last edited on 20 June 2017, at 07:32."
    I take that nobody updated that to mod 12b yet (not as it needs to be updated).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    tyrlaan#5615 tyrlaan Member Posts: 36 Arc User

On top of that, ranks 7, 8 and 9 no longer need a second rank 7, 8 and 9. Which takes out all of the ranking up of second gems over and over (which required their own preservation wards to rank up).

@noworries#8859

This is quite a change to the economy of shards and weapon/armor enchantments. I would run quests (e.g. Sharandar campaign chest), create and temporarily use low level enchantments always knowing I would need quite a few of them to condense into fewer (finally: one) higher level enchantments.

Now I only need 4 shards per character per type of weapon/armor enchantment, and all further shards are wasted because everyone else can get their 4 shards too so there's no market (except for the coal wards to upgrade them). Actually, I suspect an overabundance of excess enchantments already (made for the purpose to condense them) which will flood the market because every character now only needs 1 at most per slot.

With a 1% chance to upgrade (shards of) armor/weapon enchantments, nobody is going to upgrade them just to use for refinement. Same with event-limited access enchantments - if I can only use so many enchantments per character (because number of slots is limited), all other enchantments are wasted and will be used for refinement, e.g. there's no point to buy more than half a dozen R5 quartermaster's because that's all you ever need (and upgrade them, of course).

The old system required removing enchantments from the economy thus establishing a reason to get them. The new system hits a ceiling very quickly.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    *9 shards
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

According to the following, rank 12 is 3.5%.
    3.5% is correct for rank 12 value pre-mod12b. I wish it was 5% lol
  • Options
    tekathurraitekathurrai Member Posts: 18 Arc User

Refinement Point Breakdown:

Enchantments/Runestones/Armor and Weapon Enhancements

RankRefinement Points

Gemstones:
    RankRefinement Points
    Quartz (new)1
    Faintly Glowing Citrine10
    White Pearl10
    Amethyst (new)25
    Peridot50
    Black Pearl (new)100
    Aquamarine150
    Resplendent Citrine180
    Dravite250
    Emerald (new)250
    Dread Spinel250
    Flawless Sapphire500
    Black Opal1000
    Amnian Jadeite2500
    Blood Ruby5000
    Alexandrite (new)10000
    Brilliant Diamond25000
    Violet Diamond (new)50000
    Teal Diamond (new)100000
    prntscr.com/h1n3cw

Did I miss the update where the RP went up per rank?
  • Options

Enchantment/Runestone Ranks:

RankChance SuccessRP RequiredMaterials
    1->2100%2Minor Potency
    2->390%52x Minor Potency
    3->480%20Lesser Potency
    4->570%752x Lesser Potency
    5->660%300Potency
    6->750%12002x Potency
    7->840%5000Greater Potency
    8->930%150002x Greater Potency
    9->1020%300002x Greater Potency + 3x Enchantment Stones
    10->1110%40000Superior Potency
    11->125%500002x Superior Potency + 3x Greater Enchantment Stones
    12->133%55000Ultimate Potency
    13->141%600002x Ultimate Potency + 3x Superior Enchantment Stones

This is the table that shows the RP needed to go up a rank.
  • Options
    cambo1682cambo1682 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited October 2017

1->2100%2Minor Potency
    2->390%52x Minor Potency
    3->480%20Lesser Potency
    5->660%300Potency
    6->750%12002x Potency

In game the refining window indicates I need 3 X Ultimate Enchanting Stones to go to rank 14, not Superior... changes to refining have been overall pretty good, but you guys have built the wall way too high for max ranks. Most folks I know want to beleive they can actually make it to max. It doesn't have to be overnight or even quickly without RL expense, but sorry 55 coals or some insane luck on an insane number of green wards and some Enchantment Stones that barely exist in game is not really encouraging...in fact I would say it's pretty much de-motivatating.
  • Options
    cambo1682 said:

1->2100%2Minor Potency
    2->390%52x Minor Potency
    3->480%20Lesser Potency
    5->660%300Potency
    6->750%12002x Potency

In game the refining window indicates I need 3 X Ultimate Enchanting Stones to go to rank 14, not Superior... changes to refining have been overall pretty good, but you guys have built the wall way too high for max ranks. Most folks I know want to beleive they can actually make it to max. It doesn't have to be overnight or even quickly without RL expense, but sorry 55 coals or some insane luck on an insane number of green wards and some Enchantment Stones that barely exist in game is not really encouraging...in fact I would say it's pretty much de-motivatating.
    The naming was changed, but it is the same progression as initially pitched in this thread. At one point a suggestion from players came up that we should match the prefix on enchanting stones to the prefix of the marks of potency they were used with to make it easier to understand/remember what was needed. When I did that, I forgot to update the initial post with the name change, but it was always the pitch and the plan to have it be the stones that drop from ToNG.

Those stones are rarer and harder to get a hold of right now, but will become more common as we add more dungeons and content. Rank 14s aren't needed for any of our current content and are meant to be a goal for those who have everything else which is why they are gated by the hardest dungeon we currently have.