There are 3 types of problems with PVP right now:
- Powercreep and gear differential -- keeps the pvp population small, new and returning players not interested
- Lack of "new" content -- difficult to justify new content when population is small
- Class Balance -- difficult to justify significant pvp class balance resources when pvp population is small
This thread will focus on easy to address
- Powercreep and gear differential
The combination of Item Level stats (Gear, Enchants, Artifacts) and Non-Item-Level stats (Boons, Mount Insignias, Potions, Mounts) create a very large divide between a new player and a BIS player. Interestingly, the Item Level stats only account for roughly 1/3 of this gap. If the Non-Item-Level stats were reflected in item level, BIS players would likely have at least 10k item level.
Some easy to address suggestions
- Remove Tenacity from gear and give the same % to everyone. Adjust % to hit desired tanky/spanky balance. The point of tenacity was to create a 'balancing lever', not to further widen the gap between new and BIS pvp players. New players with minimum Tenacity take twice as much damage as New players with max tenacity.
- Reintroduce slightly modified pre mod6 diminishing-return stat curves for pvp only. This directly reduces the effect of powercreep, and should be straightforward as the logic for this should already exist. The proposed arpen formula adjusts the curve so that it mimics the pre-mod6 curve on a post-tenacity basis. The TenacityArpenResist would be whatever is set in #1 for everyone. The power and HP curves are necessary additions, or else they would become the de-facto choices due to less diminishing returns. Note that the regen and lifesteal curves shown below (pre-mod 6) are effectively the same.
Proposed PVP Stat Formulas. Black-font -> same as pre-mod6.
Graph of Proposed Stat Curves (except HP)
Graph of Proposed HP Curve
The stat curves and tenacity changes above would increase new player survival time by 300% (new player still dies, but lives 4x longer), while also decreasing the survival time (more deaths) in evenly matched fights by ~ 25%.
- Lack of "new" Content
PVP content has been lacking for good reason: lack of players. If the gear differential is addressed with the changes above, it would be good to follow up with "new" content.
Some easy to address suggestions
- Bring back the Neverwinter Combat League. Permanently (with mod resets), and with rewards. This was a huge success, and likely the best new pvp content ever introduced. Should be easy since the code should already exist.
- Bring back Solo queue event, but make it a permanent feature. This was also a success both times, and probably the 2nd best new pvp content introduced. Should be easy since the code should already exist.
- Class Balance
This is difficult to address without seeing the results from the (1) and (2) above. I'm also not sure if there is anything that is definitely easy to address. Does anyone have any obvious easy to address balance suggestions?
Other options to consider when fine-tuning (likely significantly more challenging):
- Apply tenacity to piercing damage
- Remove all potions (except heal) from pvp
- Increase Healing Depression as an alternative tank/spank lever
- Adjust Tenacity's critical suppression as an alternative tank/spank lever
- Adjust weapon damage of classes that do too little or too much damage
- New Domination Map
- Foundry PVP maps
- 5-man Premade queue
- Remove companions from stronghold siege
- Remove Insignia bonuses from domination pvp
Thanks for taking the time to read through this long post!