test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP Suggestions: Keep It Simple Stupid solutions

josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
There are 3 types of problems with PVP right now:
  1. Powercreep and gear differential -- keeps the pvp population small, new and returning players not interested
  2. Lack of "new" content -- difficult to justify new content when population is small
  3. Class Balance -- difficult to justify significant pvp class balance resources when pvp population is small
This thread will focus on easy to address suggestions.
  1. Powercreep and gear differential
    The combination of Item Level stats (Gear, Enchants, Artifacts) and Non-Item-Level stats (Boons, Mount Insignias, Potions, Mounts) create a very large divide between a new player and a BIS player. Interestingly, the Item Level stats only account for roughly 1/3 of this gap. If the Non-Item-Level stats were reflected in item level, BIS players would likely have at least 10k item level.

Some easy to address suggestions
    • Remove Tenacity from gear and give the same % to everyone. Adjust % to hit desired tanky/spanky balance. The point of tenacity was to create a 'balancing lever', not to further widen the gap between new and BIS pvp players. New players with minimum Tenacity take twice as much damage as New players with max tenacity.
    • Reintroduce slightly modified pre mod6 diminishing-return stat curves for pvp only. This directly reduces the effect of powercreep, and should be straightforward as the logic for this should already exist. The proposed arpen formula adjusts the curve so that it mimics the pre-mod6 curve on a post-tenacity basis. The TenacityArpenResist would be whatever is set in #1 for everyone. The power and HP curves are necessary additions, or else they would become the de-facto choices due to less diminishing returns. Note that the regen and lifesteal curves shown below (pre-mod 6) are effectively the same.

Proposed PVP Stat Formulas. Black-font -> same as pre-mod6.

statcurves_proposed

Graph of Proposed Stat Curves (except HP)
      statcurves_proposed_graph

Graph of Proposed HP Curve
      statcurves_proposed_hp_graph

The stat curves and tenacity changes above would increase new player survival time by 300% (new player still dies, but lives 4x longer), while also decreasing the survival time (more deaths) in evenly matched fights by ~ 25%.

2. Lack of "new" Content
    PVP content has been lacking for good reason: lack of players. If the gear differential is addressed with the changes above, it would be good to follow up with "new" content.

Some easy to address suggestions
    • Bring back the Neverwinter Combat League. Permanently (with mod resets), and with rewards. This was a huge success, and likely the best new pvp content ever introduced. Should be easy since the code should already exist.
    • Bring back Solo queue event, but make it a permanent feature. This was also a success both times, and probably the 2nd best new pvp content introduced. Should be easy since the code should already exist.
  3. Class Balance
    This is difficult to address without seeing the results from the (1) and (2) above. I'm also not sure if there is anything that is definitely easy to address. Does anyone have any obvious easy to address balance suggestions?

Other options to consider when fine-tuning (likely significantly more challenging):
  • Apply tenacity to piercing damage
  • Remove all potions (except heal) from pvp
  • Increase Healing Depression as an alternative tank/spank lever
  • Adjust Tenacity's critical suppression as an alternative tank/spank lever
  • Adjust weapon damage of classes that do too little or too much damage
  • New Domination Map
  • Foundry PVP maps
  • 5-man Premade queue
  • Remove companions from stronghold siege
  • Remove Insignia bonuses from domination pvp
Thanks for taking the time to read through this long post!

Iyon

@ayroux , @tolkienbuff , @freshour
Pvpbysynergy.png
Iyon the Dark

Comments

• gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    They should just hire you.

+1

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    I know we have been asking for this for YEARS, but I think the Dev really hit the nail on the head with us needing a dueling arena........

Okay all sarcasm aside if they would do this... they would get hundreds if not thousands of the highest paying customers they have ever had BACK and no longer playing and giving money to other games... Will they realize the gold mine they have? I highly doubt it, but these changes if they didn't put their "spin" on them would make a lot of us come back
    +1

They should hire you.

• bluangelukbluangeluk Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    +1

I like your pretty pictures Iyon! :D
    "Here's a circle... I'm not sure it's a real circle, so don't trust it too much!" Idril (AoGlyph)
    9abea38.png
  • elpide31elpide31 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 8 Arc User
    I think they should make a deathmatch mode with those formulas .
    Job well done.
  • flash1337flash1337 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    +1 OP. Great Ideas. If they had done this in mod 6, game would still be a cash cow!
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User

I just do not understand why they can't use @ayroux 's and the OP's ideas to make PVP for everybody. It has all been laid out. I am starting to think, from my own posts, that they do not listen to our feedback. That really is disheartening. As old as this game is, players should have a say in what we play.

All the stuff I have tried to present are the best "bang for buck" solutions that are ALSO very easy to implement.

Just like the OP here... If they merely:
    - removed tenacity on gear and bumped every lvl 70 up to like 35% tenacity. and...
    - created new diminishing stat curves for PVP only, so that "overstacking stats" didnt help much.

It effectively levels the playing field. Both of those ,BTW, are NOT hard to do.

1) Open your item data base. Delete out tenacity on all gear. Modify base tenacity from 10% up to 35% or whatever. DONE. Estimated time? Maybe 1 Day of work for a DEV.
    2) Program Domination/GG/SH Siege to work off DIFFERENT diminishing Returns on stats (forumulas published above). This might be slightly more complicated but I cant imagine it taking more than maybe TWO (2) days of 1 DEV to program that code... They have some conditional formula for the companions... So clearly they CAN separate game modes and what applies where. Copy that same "condition" to use a different stat return... ONLY in those instanced areas. The IWD/DV PVP areas can keep the current stats.

Which BTW... Then actually makes a PVP duel arena valuable because you can use that "conditional stat return" formula for that duel arena. Because they WOULDNT be able to do 1v1s in IWP or DV anymore....

But the total DEV time on that stuff cant be more than a few days by a competent programmer. Push it out to the community, heck you dont even need QA to do anything if you just call it a "PVP Event" where you are testing new stat returns and equalized tenacity across the board.

The community will LOVE it, even if it requires a little tweaking.

Run the thing for 2 weeks, take feedback via forum post, and then make a few tweaks and BAM.... PVP fixed. ALL players can be competitive now.

Its very simple solution that takes very little time.

@mimicking#6533 - I really hope you guys look into something like this. PVP needs to be a more "level playing ground" for ALL players. Just like in the leveling brackets, you guys "boost" lower levels up to the level cap (i.e. a lvl 41 gets boosted up to a lvl 49). In the same way, I think you need to "level" the playing field at 70....

Frankly, the OPs suggestion of using alternative "stat curves" in PVP seems like a REALLY good idea that I cant imagine is difficult to code... It levels the playing field because it lessens any advantage of "BIS veterans" over stacking things like armor pen, or lifesteal or power... Heck I know guys running 40k power in PVP... compared to a new player, its insane.
  • flash1337flash1337 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

I just do not understand why they can't use @ayroux 's and the OP's ideas to make PVP for everybody. It has all been laid out. I am starting to think, from my own posts, that they do not listen to our feedback. That really is disheartening. As old as this game is, players should have a say in what we play.

I'm surprised they havnt reached out directly to one of these guys and asked to talk with them, rather than do it all via forums. I'm sure they would love to chat. I have seen other games do this where DEVs have consulted players to make some adjustments. I think both these guys are very qualified to give solid feedback on what we want as a community...

The sad truth this, it just seems like they don't care.
    edited March 2017
    https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/.eJwFwcENgCAMAMBdGIDSEqq4DQGjRi1EanwYd_fuNfd1mMmsqq1PALmILVvP9SqpNZvrCUk15fWcRTsgEQ7MAQMPyDF4BoroA6MboyPyjOzgll3qI7bJYr4fGy8d_A.BRQ7hoG4_g4vkUmsKdsPLY7vnIY

Dunno if this will work or not, was trying to hyper link but couldnt get it to work...

Here is some rough math of the actual Item Level different between an AVERAGE player and a BIS player. Hopefully this adds to the discussion about the "gear gap" and why this is such a big issue in NW...
  • vinceent1vinceent1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,264 Arc User
    i stopped posting since i turn myself into pve grind zombie, but this is .....

Man can dream , mimicking should be a hero if he push this (for some time)

he should already figure it out, that we cant wait to pvp mode, to start with changing pvp ...

They did change the way elixirs work. I can't get power and crit to stack. Have not tested them all, but some cancel out others.

Thats good. I personally didnt do the elixir test so I dont know what all goes into that one, but if I recall you dont get the stats but still get the secondary benefit. Such as the crit one gives crit (stat) and crit severity I believe (from memory atm) if you use the crit one, then the power one you DO lose the crit but still get the severity.

Elixirs are also only 1 small piece of ALL the food/buffs/potions we can get. It would be REALLY nice if these were also deemed "PVE only" and didnt work in PVP. Even THAT one change alone (according to the above math in my link) would remove ~30k worth of available stats. Using a 700:82 Item Level calculation....

The "buffs" alone through those sources probably equate to ~ 3k+ Item Level ALONE.

• josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    flash1337 said:

I'm surprised they havnt reached out directly to one of these guys and asked to talk with them, rather than do it all via forums. I'm sure they would love to chat. I have seen other games do this where DEVs have consulted players to make some adjustments. I think both these guys are very qualified to give solid feedback on what we want as a community...

The sad truth this, it just seems like they don't care.
    Well, in the event they care, have time, and are interested in a discussion, they can always hop on the synergy discord channel. I'm typically online and active there, as is ayroux. http://tiny.cc/SynergyGaming
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    +1
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• irfaanirfaan Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Great suggesstions, I hope they read and listen!

Ya, the crit severity stays, my bad. I just saw a post crying about them changing them and did not really look at the severity. I just looked at the power and crit. I swear I used to be able to stack them and get all the stats. The change must have happened recently. I think that was the number in that list of stats you posted, which is why I mentioned it.

It wasnt recent, thats been around for a LONG time actually.

I just went and re-tally all the buffs. NOT including VIP bonus, Guild rank 5 food, invoke buffs, I also went CONSERVATIVE on the buff estimates assuming 1 primary ability score is worth 400 stats from things like Heroism, and taking the LESSER of the "stats" from things like( Sorbet, Caprese, soup - cause you only get to pick 1) and NOT counting Secondary ability score bonuses.

I count EASILY over 13k in stats being fully potted. Which if a rank 12 = 700 points means that being fully potted is the equivalent of over 18 rank 12s advantage. This is being HYPER conservative too.

This means these conservative values represent a MINIMUM of 1500 Item Level difference from pots ALONE.
    When you start adding things like Mount bonuses and SH rank 20 boons etc... Its no wonder the power difference is so much

If you were to take a 3k Item Level player, that has 100% of individual boons completed and in a Strong Hold rank 10 boons.

Vs

BIS player, legendary mount, fully potted, SH rank 20 boons you essentially have a:

3k Item Level player vs ~8k Item Level player (conservatively). The reality of which is most players DONT have 100% of individual boons and most players DONT stack invoke buffs, nor are VIP, etc etc. so its probably closer to a 9-10k BIS player (since I didnt count those things) compared to a "3k Item Level player"

So its no wonder a BIS "4.3K player" can take on 3 "average" players and win.... Because the power of all those things.

• ltgamesttv#0999 ltgamesttv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,438 Arc User
    +1 mang
    On ambush rings: "How would you like PVE if all the mobs were invisible?"

imgur pics don't work

• plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    if simple is TR one hit kill everyone and HR need more power than brain, then I don't want it simple
    i want it to be complicated

1) bring the old criteria for conqueror shards: 2 matches with 600 points or 1 win

2)add random reward. tradeble purple L140-145 piece of armor to PVP. it should be class sepecifc with tenacity that give small buff to specifc power. for example helmet that buff TR dazing strike by 5%. or boots for DC that buff divine glow by 5% more heal etc. (obviously SE buff will be the most expensive one)

3) add potion drop when one of the party reach 300,600,900 points. those poitions go in your belt and are not for heal.
    they can give one of the folowing buffs:
    In your face: reflect 100% damage for 10 sec
    La La La La: contorl immune for 10 sec
    taste so good: 100% life steal for 10 sec
    Da Da Da Da: 100% DR for 10 sec
    Baskan Bok: the ultimate one, for 10 sec all players do damage to each other, no matter which party you are (save it for the focal and smoke bomb)

4) when match is tie and both party reach 500 points, all the companions spawn in node2. those are the players companions with increase health and they will attack anyone in mode 2. they will not help or buff the players.

5)add foundry contest with PVP. i want to see nodes up high or sorunded by walls

• kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    plavia said:

if simple is TR one hit kill everyone and HR need more power than brain, then I don't want it simple
    i want it to be complicated

1) bring the old criteria for conqueror shards: 2 matches with 600 points or 1 win

2)add random reward. tradeble purple L140-145 piece of armor to PVP. it should be class sepecifc with tenacity that give small buff to specifc power. for example helmet that buff TR dazing strike by 5%. or boots for DC that buff divine glow by 5% more heal etc. (obviously SE buff will be the most expensive one)

3) add potion drop when one of the party reach 300,600,900 points. those poitions go in your belt and are not for heal.
    they can give one of the folowing buffs:
    In your face: reflect 100% damage for 10 sec
    La La La La: contorl immune for 10 sec
    taste so good: 100% life steal for 10 sec
    Da Da Da Da: 100% DR for 10 sec
    Baskan Bok: the ultimate one, for 10 sec all players do damage to each other, no matter which party you are (save it for the focal and smoke bomb)

4) when match is tie and both party reach 500 points, all the companions spawn in node2. those are the players companions with increase health and they will attack anyone in mode 2. they will not help or buff the players.

5)add foundry contest with PVP. i want to see nodes up high or sorunded by walls

Ya introduce more broken potions and Items and Companions to Balance pvp you should be a Dev lol
    we all know from strongholds and 50 person instances companion cause crazy Lag . the dev in the lastest stream even
    said so cause all power and interactions have to load in from everybody in the zone

+1 to specific rare items that can boost certain powers marginally as specific rewards those could work for Pve or Pvp
    morenthar said:

@ayroux

Holy shootsticks!

Thanks for breaking down the potion advantage.

Unless easily aquired and readily available, I never "potted up" for PvP. It really bothers me that it is such a significant factor.

More importanly, it's another layer of tedium.

I wish they were eliminated from PvP (maybe even healing)

Yeah its pretty insane. It gets worse when you start adding in all the other ones too that I left out.

I usually only did a few select pots, like bang for your buck ones. I never FULLY potted like this but I know guys that do.

I 100% agree. Which is why I advocate for them to standardize all stats in PVP by making a "default" for each class that replaced all your stats - this would mean pots have zero impact in PVP.
  • sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    @mimicking#6533
    @nitocris83

I agree PvE Stat boosting elixirs such as elixirs of fate, wildstorm, heroism etc. Should be disabled in PvP by default. They give way too much stat wise and contribute to runaway burst damage.

Instead there should be elixirs that you can buy with glory that do useful but non overpowered stuff like boost tenacity, control resist, piercing damage resist etc. that can assist undergeared players be more competitive, while also making glory more useful once you have nothing left to spend it on besides salvage.

Increase Healing Depression as an alternative tank/spank lever

I dont dislike this idea. One of the biggest issues I see in PVP atm is PVPers have MUCH more self healing than PVE ers. So increasing Healing Depression down to 25% might be a decent way to adjust this.

Adjust Tenacity's critical suppression as an alternative tank/spank lever

I DISLIKE this one. I actually think Crit Suppression is ONE of the barriers between PVE players and PVP players. If all you have us 75% severity (everyone's base) then crits already deal LESS damage than non crits.

I would RATHER see them remove this (crit suppression) and then increase everyones base" tenacity DR" levels up from 10% to maybe 50% (yes 50%) and then put a SEVERE diminishing return on actual tenacity stat so that stacking say 2k Tenacity only adds another 10%.

CC tenacity should be pegged to say 35% with a cap of 45%.
    ARP Suppression I would suggest maybe 60% base with a cap of 80%.

This would put more favor on crit builds which seem to be more prevalent in PVP. One thing that MUST change then is Shocking Exec. MUST respect tenacity. It can still bypass "DR" but MUST be hurt by tenacity. With the removal of crit suppression but it now impacted by tenacity it should be a net wash or close to it.

Adjust weapon damage of classes that do too little or too much damage

Eh, this is a minor factor and rather keep this simple and the same.

Remove companions from stronghold siege

1000000% behind this one! This should NEVER EVER have been implemented. The ONLY people that were advocates of this were PVE players who have zero clue how companions impact PVP.... This would also help the lag issues BTW.

Remove Insignia bonuses from domination pvp

Yes. 100% Yes. Nuff said.

Any dev gonna respond to this thread? its really good. @terramak

• paixnidiaris2paixnidiaris2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    All the above are valid solutions but we need people playing PVP for developers to start taking interest. Its simple as that. If 95% of the population is doing only pve why devs even care what the rest 5% wants (Although usually pvp players are BiS)

So maybe the first step, is to fix the queue by implementing something that all pvp games allready have : A League System
    All start in the lowest league and progress to the top as they get better. Each match will have you complete against similar league players.

The current score system is pretty good since its a sum of nodes captured + kills + kills assists + node defended so no class will have a problem.

If queue is fixed then more players will join pvp = devs start implemeting all the nice ideas pvp community proposed.

Just my two cents...
    PavlosT, PVP Scourge Warlock
    Youtube Channel