I hate jumps

2»

Comments

• Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I blamed my not noticing the q target/jump button on a "tasty beverage"

When you finally realize it is there:

....would post some cool bad <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> mem of Homer Simpson DOH! But cant compete with @kolatmaster ....
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I've only done Nostura's instance, and mostly I wish there were checkpoints between phases because I'd get farther each time but every time I choked and made a mistake, I had to run the entire thing over again. That got pretty flippin' old, even though I knew I was getting better at it. Maybe it does become totally moot with practice but then it serves as nothing more than a delaying mechanic. Around 5 tries for final success for me and I went alone because I *hate* doing anything for the first time with witnesses unless they are specifically there to teach me how. I prefer to keep my embarrassment at failure private.

If I could remember which forumite posted the tip that you should go slowly, I'd tag them for personal thanks. The Nostura instance isn't a race and nothing about it punishes you for moving deliberately. Most of the death balls have safe spots between where you can wait until you know it's moving away from you, then scoot to the next safe point.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    chemjeffchemjeff Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I've only done Nostura's instance, and mostly I wish there were checkpoints between phases because I'd get farther each time but every time I choked and made a mistake, I had to run the entire thing over again. That got pretty flippin' old, even though I knew I was getting better at it. Maybe it does become totally moot with practice but then it serves as nothing more than a delaying mechanic. Around 5 tries for final success for me and I went alone because I *hate* doing anything for the first time with witnesses unless they are specifically there to teach me how. I prefer to keep my embarrassment at failure private.

If I could remember which forumite posted the tip that you should go slowly, I'd tag them for personal thanks. The Nostura instance isn't a race and nothing about it punishes you for moving deliberately. Most of the death balls have safe spots between where you can wait until you know it's moving away from you, then scoot to the next safe point.

Yeah that helped for me too. Don't just leave autorun on. The obstacle course punishes people who just want to speed run it. Sadly however we have to do it dozens of times in order to get the mats for the Fey weapon.

For me the hardest part is the four death spheres right at the end. They are asynchronously moving and you have to be very careful going between them. And it *really* sucks if you die at the very end of the course and then have to redo *the whole thing*.
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User

Anyone with a halfling toon able to make the first jump? I spent 20 minutes but those short legs can't seem to do it. I had to give up cuz I was getting nauseous. I can't believe chit like this even passed QA. Since the other weapons are not appealing for my TR, I have to throw in the towel on mod 11. I have an elf CW I want that weapon for. Hopefully I can make the jumps when I unlock the quest.

Race and height has nothing to do with how high you jump it only effects how long it takes to land .. shorter classes having slightly more air time to do and extra movement / dodges etc

• Options
    checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    You don't get the jumping title from anything in the quest line. You can jump Gyrion tower perfectly, and you won't get it. The jumping achievement is outside of the quest path. HINT: Look at your map after the 2nd set of jumps.
    LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

• Options
    eltacogrande#4535 eltacogrande Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    Game provides terrible servers and then throws this quest in I just love failing over and over due to lag and rubberbanding.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    LOL, Vanhalen isnt only band that sang "Jump", there other group that sang too, The Pointer Sisters. "Jump for Life"
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I went alone because I *hate* doing anything for the first time with witnesses unless they are specifically there to teach me how. I prefer to keep my embarrassment at failure private.

On the other hand, in a group, if one makes it, all make it.

I had a chance to run that part during Play with the Devs. My comment was, "I love the originality but this thing needs checkpoints." Guess it was too late to add checkpoints.

Mod 11 is a departure from previous modules. The developers tried a number of new things. Not everyone will enjoy everything, but I'm glad to see them trying new concepts rather than changing the name of the person that tells you to collect N widgets or kill N themed mobs. This is the most enjoyable module for me thus far.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind the jumping puzzle, but for the damn lag, and skills that sometimes won't work, or key presses that get ignored. I did jumping puzzles in GW2, this is far worse, since the infrastructure & game engine has so much more issues.
  • Options
    misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 194 Arc User
    And here I thought that was the easiest and funniest of the three

• Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User

Good to know. I was reluctant to do the quest in a group for fear that I may be stuck waiting on people to get through it.

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    As soon as one person makes it to the other side, a portal opens up in either the starting platform (1st sequence) or the secomd platform (2cd sequence) For the second sequence, you will still have to make 1 easy jump but otherwise can skip it. This makes things a lot easier since it doesn't matter why you are there, intial unlock, weekly or just farming the lair, yoj get the same rewards and only one stone is consumed (assuming no one else has an active one). If you hate the jumps, you can can group up witb someone who is better at that sort of thing.

Nostura's doesn't seem to have a portal, but one person making it through unlocks the campfire so anyone else will spawn there if they die in the course.

No idea on Kabal yet as I haven't done it on either character.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I wouldn't mind the jumping puzzle, but for the damn lag, and skills that sometimes won't work, or key presses that get ignored.

Lag has been near the top of the weekly report @nitocris83 submits to the dev team since mod 11 went live. Hopefully, they will be able to improve the situation.

For me, personally, lag is a significant factor about 10% of the time. I know from the forums and from speaking with people in game that, for some players, lag is a constant companion.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

I went alone because I *hate* doing anything for the first time with witnesses unless they are specifically there to teach me how. I prefer to keep my embarrassment at failure private.

This is cool but doesn't alter my mental makeup. I don't like exploring unfamiliar situations if I'm not alone. It's painfully uncomfortable for me. This is true in most aspects of life.

I ran it the second time after getting the weekly quest and things were dead quiet at the time so I just went alone again and didn't make a single mistake on the course (achievement unlocked), and the boss battle was also significantly easier as I was pretty clear on the mechanics.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    mentinmindmakermentinmindmaker Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User

I wouldn't mind the jumping puzzle, but for the damn lag, and skills that sometimes won't work, or key presses that get ignored.

Lag has been near the top of the weekly report @nitocris83 submits to the dev team since mod 11 went live. Hopefully, they will be able to improve the situation.

For me, personally, lag is a significant factor about 10% of the time. I know from the forums and from speaking with people in game that, for some players, lag is a constant companion.

The problem is that lag comes from several sources:
    * The servers
    * The central network
    * The local ISP network
    * And the PC

If the servers or the central network has capacity issues, everyone in that instance lags. This seems to be the case occasionally in for instance Dread Ring.
    But the other way around, if someone in the instance does not lag, then the problem is not the central components, but rather the users ISP network or his PC.

So if anyone is more hit by lag than others, the cause for that lag is most likely outside the control of Cryptic.
    They should try switch to a different ISP, or buy a new PC.

And let me state: I rarely have lag issues. It happens, but rarely.

• Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User
    If not for glitches (platforms and/or "landing zone" not showing up, jump mechanism turning itself off at random) and rubber banding in to thin air, this would have been the best quest in the game. If this got fixed, I could even ignore the insanely exaggerated teleporting mechanism, which Gyrion learned from the worst enemies in the game, Seer.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited March 2017

I had a chance to run that part during Play with the Devs. My comment was, "I love the originality but this thing needs checkpoints." Guess it was too late to add checkpoints.

I think we have enough dungeons/lairs with checkpoints visible that are not active. Once it hits preview they are as mobile as a mountain in fixing or changing scenery issues.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    mdimarziomdimarzio Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    wylonus said:

LOL, Vanhalen isnt only band that sang "Jump", there other group that sang too, The Pointer Sisters. "Jump for Life"

I will also give you... House of Pain - Jump Around :D I would link it but the lyrics... lots of HAMSTERS lol. I don't mind the jumping, but yeah if I lag D:

• Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User

The problem is that lag comes from several sources:
    * The servers
    * The central network
    * The local ISP network
    * And the PC

If the servers or the central network has capacity issues, everyone in that instance lags. This seems to be the case occasionally in for instance Dread Ring.
    But the other way around, if someone in the instance does not lag, then the problem is not the central components, but rather the users ISP network or his PC.

So if anyone is more hit by lag than others, the cause for that lag is most likely outside the control of Cryptic.
    They should try switch to a different ISP, or buy a new PC.

And let me state: I rarely have lag issues. It happens, but rarely.

You forgot one point - routing. If all european users end up with a handful servers on the US site on the route (e.g. Cogentco) and that provider messes something up, it is neither Cryptic's fault (at least not entirely) nor the ISP or the local PC.
  • Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    baeyorn said:

I hate jumps.

it is to the point, that I will only complete the Gyrion quest chain, on one character.

No way in Seven Hells and by Grobther's Hammer, and Tiamats Negligee' will I subject myself to the torture that is the jumping fiasco on the quest chain.

For the love of God, Money, and Sgt' Knox sanity given us a way to bypass the jumps once we do them once on an account.

Gawds.. I hate jumps.

:(

I found Gyrion to be a fast paced platform to platform jumping puzzle, which was a nice change of pace from the usual "kill everything". (Then again, I grew up playing platformers, although not on the caliber of Kaizo Mario World...)

But some people I know loathe or find it impossible to play Super Gyrion World or Super Kabal 64, so there should be an option to skip it on your repeat visits (you've already beaten it once, you don't need to prove that you can beat it again).

I personally wish that after your first clear, you had a choice on the section before meeting the boss: platforming or kill enemies. You do platforming, you can skip the enemies and head straight to the boss. You kill the enemies, you skip platforming and head straight to the boss. This gives people a choice on how they choose to progress, which is supposed to be one of the campaign's biggest selling points.

• Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    2 days ago, 3/3 first time on second jumping phase, yesterday couldn't do it all due to lag, fortunately somebody else on my party was lag free.

A big problem in NW is that too much of the newer content seems to be impossible for me if there's any lag. There are several dungeons I can't do because attacks kill me before the red warning circle appears, given that SVA is one of those, that killed the last module. I'm running a decent PC with a good graphics card and a fast cable connection so I suspect the problem is server side (I get a ping that is OK for being across the atlantic from the servers).

Do the devs ever test these things with a less than stellar PC over a vaguely dubious connection to see how these things play out in the real world.
  • Options
    darthtzarrdarthtzarr Member Posts: 1,003 Arc User
    This mission was the coolest thing I have ever seen in the game to date. I want 100000x more of these. I want more left path in eLoL (LOTS MORE!!). I also do not want a skip feature, because there would be no reason to take the jumps anymore. Maybe if it had a 20 second channel time, but even then.

I want more of these, not less. These are amazing.

I absolutely love this puzzle. I also like Nostura's. Kabal's is pretty meh.

Signature [WIP] - tyvm John

• Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I don't know about Kabal because I've only done it once ans that was solo, but the other two can be skipped if you have a partner who can do the challenge (or if you both spam it until one succeeds.) For Nostura, as soon as one person reaches the castle, the campfire there becomes the respawn point, so if you die in the obstacle course, you join them ahead.

New assessment, I hate the Nostura one the most. Kabal's is tedious but I got through it by being patient. Gyrion's is not bad IF the server plays fair with the destination platforms... you can actually still use the Jump spell while falling and save yourself. Of the three that is the one I will likely do for the weekly.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I did Nostura the first time with what I thought was the worst lag I ever had in this game....but stubbornly refused to give up thinking..."if other players can do it under these circumstances...wth am I failing so miserably?" I was so convinced it must be Cryptics fault (my dsl is uber-awesome it couldn´t be me) and so tired I didn´t realize my cpu was literally emitting little flames and screaming at me for help. I did realize on the next log-in after even crashing several times that my cpu water cooler had silently partially died and was just wheezing along at a fraction of its capacity...when I did this the second time without horrible stuttering and abysmal response time (new cooler) it was ridiculously easy...-.-
    But I swear I dunno how people with lag even play this game...I couldn´t deal with it...^^
  • Options
    karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    This one can be a pain for sure. Lag, slow draw, or other issues crop up here a lot. However, I basically use the "Spam Q Method". Just point your circle where you want to go and tap Q. Do this over and over. You don't even have to walk at all. Hop down to the edge, hop across platform, hop to next edge. Using this method I almost always make it. Only fail when the island fail to appear.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor