Install Arc
Options

Seen the new Censorship on the Forum?

Comments

• Options
    kuero21kuero21 Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kalindra said:

Yea, its automatic and slightly stupid. Someone asked a question about devils, and I don't think they took me serious when I said they come from the 9 KITTENS

Wait, did they REALLY censor the word Hell?
    In a FANTASY RPG??
    Where this has been a fixed cosmological location for 30 years???

They should do kitten everything in game. "We kitten you to the nine kittens from where you came, tiamat." Belial -Lord of the first kitten.

test: ok, i just noticed after my curses have been replaced with kittens, and i edited a typo in my post, my curses became visible again.
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    wylonus said:

ugh! i am allergic to cats.

why not use PANCAKES instead of kittens, make others think of food

Cause then I will end up being hungry when I moderate the forums.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Can you actually kitten the 3rd party gold sellers? "Visit W W W. K I T T E N.com for kittens, kittens, kittens and more!"
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    I wonder how many of you were expecting this to be completely different than it was... when you first clicked on to this post. I am sure that the Mods initially came here ready to shut it down... as I have been labeled a "Bad Boy" on the forum.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    So now they have changed it to HAMSTER...wonder how many times it will be changing
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    empalas said:

So now they have changed it to HAMSTER...wonder how many times it will be changing

It needed to be more D&D related. Hamster was more Neverwinter related than Kitten. So it will probably stay Hamster. :DHAMSTER, HAMSTER, HAMSTER, hamsters.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    RIP Kitten
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kreatyve said:

It needed to be more D&D related. Hamster was more Neverwinter related than Kitten. So it will probably stay Hamster. :D HAMSTER, HAMSTER, HAMSTER, hamsters.

They could have added a kitten pet because of all the KITTENs taking over the forums. Now we have a rodent problem. Besides aren't the HAMSTERs needed to keep the servers operational??
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    The Hamsters probably caused a riot and force the
    kittens to work in the server room while they hang
    out on the forums drinking margaritas.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016
    At least HELLS was fixed. That was HAMSTER with me. Having it be hamster is HAMSTER though, because they're cute as HAMSTER and some are giant HAMSTER, others are space HAMSTER, with even miniature HAMSTER, then there's the giant miniature space HAMSTER. I love cute hamsters almost as much as I HAMSTER love kittens.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Yeah, I changed it to HAMSTER due to it being more D&D. It will most likely stay HAMSTER until the foreseeable future.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User

Yeah, I changed it to HAMSTER due to it being more D&D. It will most likely stay HAMSTER until the foreseeable future.

Is there functionality to have the auto-mod color the censored text something that stands out?

I can see this creating confusion (especially for non-native English speakers or less tech-savvy forum dwellers) and it might be something easy to flip on. ****** is pretty universally understood, but KITTENS and HAMSTERS are not particularly intuitive as indication of a profanity filter violation (especially since, for the time being, the filter casts a pretty wide net).

I appreciate that we're trying to be clever and thematically appropriate, but I think this particular solution will cause more confusion / frustration than benefit unless we find a way to make it more clear what's happening.

• Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    It is now orange: HAMSTER.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

Kick HAMSTER!
  • Options
    Yay! I HAMSTER love HAMSTER hamsters, cause they are HAMSTER HAMSTER.
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2016

<3<3<3

Perfect, thank you. I think it's much more intuitive now what is going on!
  • Options
    andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User

Burning the midnight hamster Andy? late night,,
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    geez, guys, F a r t isnt a swear word, not a form of cussing. censorship went too far on humor words.

would you see something like strange post.
    Hi all, you know HAMSTER, HAMSTER a mob, HAMSTER, blah blah 20x words of hamsters in a single post, then how do we know what we talking about if we seeing repeated censored words?

personally, it seem so childish to screen or filter some words, most of us are adults, not some 3rd graders from south park with bad toilet humor. are we entering a new age of word censorshiping? will you thin out words from Webster's word book? why? is it too heavy?
    Post edited by wylonus on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    wylonus said:

geez, guys, F a r t isnt a swear word, not a form of cussing. censorship went too far on humor words.

would you see something like strange post.
    Hi all, you know HAMSTER, HAMSTER a mob, HAMSTER, blah blah 20x words of hamsters in a single post, then how do we know what we talking about if we seeing repeated censored words?

personally, it seem so childish to screen or filter some words, most of us are adults, not some 3rd graders from south park with bad toilet humor. are we entering a new age of word censorshiping? will you thin out words from Webster's word book? why? is it too heavy?

Lol the filter is a little lax, but it's not THAT lax. If every other word is censored then you should definitely consider whether whatever it is you're writing is worth sharing with the gaming community.

Especially when discussing content, builds, troubleshooting, and etc. the word for the gaseous releases from your bum is probably not all that vital. And if it is, sub "bum-sourced fumes"

Keep it HAMSTER, folks.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    wylonus said:

It's pretty simple to convey ideas, both complex and simple, without triggering the filter, especially for those of us who aren't 3rd graders from South Park with bad toilet humor.

You can dial back the "1984" rhetoric.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    Those HAMSTER are legendary.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

It's pretty simple to convey ideas, both complex and simple, without triggering the filter, especially for those of us who aren't 3rd graders from South Park with bad toilet humor.

You can dial back the "1984" rhetoric.

The only one I really take issue with now that hack and hell are off the blacklist is that you can write screwdriver (I think) but not the thing that you'd turn with it.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User

The only one I really take issue with now that hack and hell are off the blacklist is that you can write screwdriver (I think) but not the thing that you'd turn with it.

@beckylunatic And that can all be fixed. Strumslinger just started with a generic list of words that are recommended, and we edit from there.

I don't typically use the word screw, so I didn't notice. So we can talk about not filtering it...however, I'd personally rather see people rant about how the devs are totally HAMSTER them, instead of the actual word, because you and I know that's 99.9999% of the context it'll be used in.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Oh, I agree about the context in which we'd normally see that word. I get filtered in reference to "I screwed up" and not hardware.

But the puritanical filter kicks in on me a fair bit when I am mostly keeping it clean and non-juvenile. Not to an illogical extent, but sometimes it's frustrating to edit the meaning back into a post, plus I don't like that being filtered makes my posts look like I was being foul when I wasn't.

Edit: Because previewing your post doesn't tell you if something will be filtered. Note that it let me write "screwed" up there. Screw ?

An anatomical term for mammaries is also filtered. I can see leaving out all the vulgar slang, but our female characters have HAMSTER. We have a character creation slider for making them bigger or smaller. But we can't mention them by name.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Hooray for boobies\o/
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.