test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• Options
    greyangel13greyangel13 Member Posts: 28 Arc User

What is going to happen to Loyal Gear? will be moved to an ingame source?

This, and, will there be another way to get the Lightfoot Thief companion?
    everyone talks about lightfoot thief but no one talks about damarian shepherd =D
    guess cause its a white companion that isn't used. but i still thing people should be able to get it
    I agree about the Dramarian Shepherd. It should be made available in game as well. Not sure why I didn't include that one :/
  • Options
    genjundeadgenjundead Member Posts: 372 Arc User

count

zach#3177 said:

All of PWE games use the same money making formula now. Little endgame/new content, no worthwhile rewards, typical asian style grind fest, and it's all about the rng boxes. It's just a turn em an burn set up. It's sad I love NW but it's just gets worse with each mod because more stuff is taken away. I really hope they get a good influx of cash from the console releases so hopefully they can change this current formula.

I do not know why they would change the formula if they think it is working for them.
    But IS it...are there seriously enough monkeys here that'll watch them trying to make the blood ruby on the zen store look competitive and still try to refine anything?
    People whining about the removal of a KITTEN dice game that wasn' t an integral part of the game (items vailable there can be made obtainable elsewhere easily) when they just nuked the games rp economy. GOOD GRIEF. ThAT can' t be repaired easily and judging from the dev's answers there isn't even a plan other than maybe reviewing the profession system in the next fee mods. SERIOUSLY?
    yeah it hurts but we will all get over it and if some don't want to play don't have to, ill take your stuff so you have less reasons to return. but the devs are doing their best and they have to make hard choices sometimes. we should accept and figure out how to improve the game and whats in it instead o continue this cry over whats gone. its ok to cry over whats gone but lets not focus on it, lets turn the gateways death into something that can help others.
    @strumslinger thanks for all the hard work.
    if you want o give me your stuff come find me in game, pretty much on all day. @genjundead or mail me it at Genj@genjudnead. just press O to open social menu, go to social tab, and type it in i should pop up. send me a pm or invite me and just give me your stuff if you want to quit the game.
    best way to quite a game is to remove any reason to return. =P and if you do return at least you will start fresh =D
  • Options
    clonkyo1 said:

my friend knows how you feel.
    he is also a closed beta player with several account (not 1 or 2 but a lot)
    he has more characters then i cant even count right now. but he is probably gonna end up mailing a ton of the items on many of his alts to his main and delete most of his alts and accounts.
    he will probably have one account now and maybe 20 characters.
    most people are just moving stuff to one character and deleting most of their alts.

i was planning on making an alt army, but would require too much work for me.

i can't do a thing right now with my "army" because i'm afraid of it... so, we need to wait until MONDAY, when their office opens, and wait for their answer on how we, "alt army" players, can "handle" this situation as a whole.
    delete characters until you have one of each class. that's what a lot of people are doing. or wait for whatever info you are seeking.
  • Options
    the only real problem i can actually see if... communication, you did not communicate about this beforehand and over 2 weeks passed.
    @strumslinger please post all of us of future updates no matter how small or how bit. if it has to do with anything neverwinter related we need to know about it before hand. at least a week would be great.cause if we don't know about something that is coming people will become tense or agitated, even over something small like gateway which we all love.

something like we are taking down gateway temporary to combat botting
    update we are still trying to combat botting please be patient
    update we are removing gateway
    update since we plan on removing gateway we will bring it back up for one weekend please do anything you need to do in that time.

something simple like that even works and i know the last update is just something i want and some others here, even a weekend would be great just 3 simple days.

on a separate note @strumslinger @panderus why have i been getting dc'ed more and more per day. and i am not the only one a lot of my friends too. i really love the game so i will continue to play and try to support as much as i can.
  • Options
    clonkyo1 said:

delete characters until you have one of each class. that's what a lot of people are doing.

Really??? O_oUu . I just don't use more than 10 chars until i read an official answer from them. I think that devs should open a "alt army" registration website for us, players whose have alt armies, register us there and put us into a "white list".
    lol nice idea +1 to this even though it wont happen, i still like the idea though. i only have one of each class. but i saw that they were discouraging having a lot of characters, so i didn't invest in alts when they were 80% off for a character slot.
    when i saw the ad buff (nerf) i knew not to buy more characters.
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    saddened by another "update" that removes content.

I didn't use gateway much, but I enjoy it when I can't get to a computer, and SCA gave my 4 stabled gold companions a reason for being ... those 4 stabled gold companions are gonna be so upset when they hear :'(

Lately, I don't enjoy playing the game so much anyway, I play mostly to interact with friends.
  • Options

saddened by another "update" that removes content.

I didn't use gateway much, but I enjoy it when I can't get to a computer, and SCA gave my 4 stabled gold companions a reason for being ... those 4 stabled gold companions are gonna be so upset when they hear :'(

Lately, I don't enjoy playing the game so much anyway, I play mostly to interact with friends.

i cant remember the last time i played this game for fun... maybe mod 2.
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    mmm1001 said:

Foundry sucks. It is also easy target for bots, as everything is predictable. We don't want extra lag caused by bots running foundry quests.

Let's break this statement down. You said, "It is also easy target for bots, as everything is predictable." How is that different from dungeons? The dungeons don't randomize. This makes no sense. Next you say, "We don't want extra lag caused by bots running foundry quests.". Yet dungeon bots run rampant, they don't cause the lag you experience. Lags are the result of bottle necks in the network. Finally you began with "Foundry sucks." which right away tells me you are jealous of what Foundry authors can create. I don't mind someone being critical, but green with envy makes you look foolish.

@iandarksword I think this option is much better than placing these items in a lockbox, tradebar store, or zen market. I will be optimistic and hope they take the suggestion to heart.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Hopefully the closing of the gateway means that frees up time for other things...like a new class or two or three??
  • Options
    yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    empalas said:

Hopefully the closing of the gateway means that frees up time for other things...like a new class or two or three??

they havent even brought back the dungeons. the rest of the classes are broken balance wise. what makes you think they can work on new class (least of all plural).
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    SOME foundry quests suck, that's true, but the best foundry quests blow many of the official quests out of the water too.
    having it drop on the foundry would solve 2 problems with 1 change so I'm all for it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    @panderus

This has ALWAYS puzzled me. Question: Why do I need to know the name and handle of the player selling anything in the Auction House? Am I suppose to use this to write them a thank you letter? This is how gold spammers pass AD farmed by botting. All you needed to do was remove a name field from the Auction House table.

I think most people here would agree, remove the name of the seller and AD cannot be exchanged. You didn't need to tear down a website for that, unless you were just looking for an excuse to place free items in the zen store and trade bar store. But then they won't be "free" anymore will they?
    wb-cenders.gif
  • Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User

It is with some regret that we are announcing the closing of Gateway for Neverwinter. This was not an easy call. I'd like to remind people to please keep all conversation respectful. Insults, flaming, and toxicity doesn't help anyone, especially in this situation. Thank you.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10161142-gateway-closing-down

Finally some stuffs have been done in fight against bot users. I actually wondered why it took so long time for staff to realize that keeping gateway with direct link to nwo live game economy. Only making easy/shortcut to bots generate stuffs/items/currency. If there would be no direct connection between NWO and gateway economies. Then cheating would be harder..
    Enough would be like, in Gateway dungeons receive certain items which have 0 values in nwo. And after getting x of them, via nwo website exchange to chests, which provide random loot up to rare/epic rank. But items should not be rare within game. Next, no Sell/Trade from chest. So bot using fro gaining and selling become impossible.

oh well staff decided to close gateway, so be it. But I can assure, there is still lot of security holes in game which allow bot users grind and sell stuffs.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

the only real problem i can actually see if... communication, you did not communicate about this beforehand and over 2 weeks passed.
    @strumslinger please post all of us of future updates no matter how small or how bit. if it has to do with anything neverwinter related we need to know about it before hand. at least a week would be great.cause if we don't know about something that is coming people will become tense or agitated, even over something small like gateway which we all love.

something like we are taking down gateway temporary to combat botting
    update we are still trying to combat botting please be patient
    update we are removing gateway
    update since we plan on removing gateway we will bring it back up for one weekend please do anything you need to do in that time.

something simple like that even works and i know the last update is just something i want and some others here, even a weekend would be great just 3 simple days.

on a separate note @strumslinger @panderus why have i been getting dc'ed more and more per day. and i am not the only one a lot of my friends too. i really love the game so i will continue to play and try to support as much as i can.

Generally, they do not like to communicate things until they have clearly decided on what path they are going to take. In other words - Andy didn't know a week ahead of time that they were going to do this. As Andy was away at PAX when the Gateway was brought down, I do not think he knew that it was even happening until after it happened. I could be wrong on this, but as someone who has near constant communication with him, I do not think that's the case here.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    Well, botting was obviously not the problem.
    Now they just move in-game and continue with what they do best - botting. I would laugh my rear end off if they actually added all the gear and such to the Zen store, people screaming about quitting or not playing anymore or whatever... Yet next day you see them happily logging in again and keep playing anyway.
    Jixem: Your social one stop spot.
    STAR TREK ONLINE CHARACTERS
    DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: NEVERWINTER CHARACTERS
    "Sell, buy, communicate and share all on one site... A fully free service!
    - Jixem: My social website, check it out! -
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Since the gateway went down lag in game got worst. Blaming the gateway for lag or performance issues is ridiculous. Is the STO gateway online? Will it be taken down?
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    vorticanvortican Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 367 Arc User
    seijida said:

I really can't belive you did that.
    Yeah u want to stop otters and all....

I have long said that those damn otters are ruining the game for everyone. The baby seals are legitimate though.

For them, I enjoy crafting many, many pairs of pants.
  • Options
    coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    I just hope they are able to place parts of the SCA into actual gameplay.
    When the gateway was open you had the chance of the Loyal Gear and the Lightfoot Thief for FREE, you just needed to be willing to put in the effort and some of your personnel time. If the loyal gear and the and companions now become part of the Lock Box, Trade Bar Store or Zen Market, these items are no longer FREE. They become part of the P2P mentality whether you use Trade Bars or obtain them in a newer lockbox.

The gain of Trade Bars and the opening of Lock Boxes are only available by purchasing Enchanted Keys or VIP access. Either way, these items are no longer free and will now require even more of your RL money to obtain, if they are placed in these markets/stores. I just hope through quests they are able to reward either Trade Bars or even the Loyalty Gear and companion without the usage of AD which will just fuel the need for these AD sellers even more. Also the new system would have to have the items BtA to eliminate bot involvement.
  • Options
    cushparlcushparl Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User

For a very long time, players haven't given a second thought to playing Foundry quests because "the loot sucks." Perhaps transferring the drops from SCA to eligible Foundry quests, (using the same 15+ minute requirement as it was for the old Daily Foundry AD,) as RNG drops would create an incentive for players to participate in Foundry content.

Probably there would be a lot of speedrunning Tired of Being the Hero, and not much else.

Perhaps some of the higher end drops, the Lightfoot Thief for example, could be tied to one of the Foundry Community Achievements in the same fashion as the Book Imp companion is tied to the Foundry Authoring Achievements.

"Fast Achievement" "quests" (I'd rather call them exploits) would become extremely popular. Everything else would still be ignored.

The Foundry being worth-while would be great, but it would need more than just adding rewards, because Foundry quests are very prone to exploits. Maybe it could work, if the eligible quests would be chosen random and change every day; or if you could claim a "real" reward only once per mission... but this probably requires more "ressources" than they are able/willing to invest.
    Maybe quests could give tokens as reward, based on average time and one could buy the gear with these tokens? But then again, nobody wants another currency, and they could simply add RAD as rewards this way, and one thing I really don't get is why they haven't done that already...

• Options
    jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    kreatyve said:

Generally, they do not like to communicate things until they have clearly decided on what path they are going to take.

That's not an acceptable communication policy. That's amateur hour.
    kreatyve said:

In other words - Andy didn't know a week ahead of time that they were going to do this. As Andy was away at PAX when the Gateway was brought down, I do not think he knew that it was even happening until after it happened. I could be wrong on this, but as someone who has near constant communication with him, I do not think that's the case here.

Even if that's the case, someone pulled the plug. That someone didn't do that out of a whim. That someone also didn't have to do it as an emergency reaction. In other words, that someone knew before hand. And that someone should have said something!

I understand you are trying to placate here, but let us at least be honest about the situation. There is enough PR PUPPIES coming from Cryptic and PWE already. Vacuous phrases with no real tangible content. Just "maybes" and "could haves" and "would like tos". There is no reason for you to add to it or to defend it.

EDIT: I recommend the team to familirize themselves with the concept of expectation management and it's effects and consequences. It could save a LOT of money in the long run.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/85broads/2013/07/22/the-top-five-tips-for-managing-client-expectations/#1932e86d4ed8

https://www.entrepreneurs-journey.com/8750/expectation-management/

http://www.impgroup.org/uploads/papers/235.pdf

I recommend following one rule most of all: be honest! So far, we have seen none of that, ever, since the dawn of NWO.

For deeper reading:

http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/JCOM-02-2013-0012

Mod edit - don't circumvent the profanity filter.

Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    vortican said:

seijida said:

I really can't belive you did that.
    Yeah u want to stop otters and all....

I have long said that those damn otters are ruining the game for everyone. The baby seals are legitimate though.

For them, I enjoy crafting many, many pairs of pants.
    Here lies vortican. Buried alive under his many, many pairs of pants. :D

ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    bethannaebethannae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15 Arc User

bethannae said:

bethannae said:

Actually, there is no "workaround" for getting to play swordcoast adventures...or really anything during your lunch hour at work other than bringing a laptop, which i am not going to do. I meant it when i said that I was done spending actual money for arc games if the gateway did not come back up. So, since I was just paid today, as promised, here is a list of what I purchased in instead of buying some zen, like I normally would. today's purchase: 1 box of Warhammer Screamers of Tzeentch. About $22 and change. Really, the only thing Arc understands is money. They do not understand customer service or trust, or think that either of those items effect the bottom line. it is a pity.

very nice buy... i kind of want one now.
    Thanks! I am putting them together now. I do like the way Warhammer minis come with a variety of parts to use, so you can customize them a bit.
    gl mate. 22 dollars huh, i might get one. ill have to take a long term plan on it though.

i am currently asking for peoples stuff here in these forums =D so far no bites. cause if people are gonna quite the game they might as well get rid of their stuff and ill take anything that will help my fairly weak 3k character.

Oh, don't get me wrong....I do not plan to quit playing for at least some time. According to my payment history, I have already given $360.00 to Cryptic to play this game. So I plan to get every pennies worth..... I am just not going to give them any more of my money. Really...having spent that has still left my characters hanging around 2500 gear score. I am not really that much better off than those who have not spent any real cash.
  • Options
    silver11#9318 silver11 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    fangbreaker was severly lacking in rewards... what if companion gear/ lf thief was added to the loot table?

Edit: i thought pc was being used for testing, but it seems the opposite. they see that consoles get by without certain things like gateway then strip them from pc. consoles dont have companion gear outside of adorable (of course you can use personalized but thats not everything). no foundry either. keep watching whats left out of consoles as an indictator what will be taken away next.
    Post edited by silver11#9318 on
  • Options
    bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User

I'll add my voice to those who'll miss the guild tools on Gateway. As leader of a reasonably sized guild, one of the most useful components of the guild tab on Gateway was the ability to sort by the "last seen" date. You can check activity in-game, but you have to hover over each individual name, which adds a crapload of time to the previously simple task of finding out who has been idle, and for how long--especially when your members play often on some alts and not so often on others. If that functionality magically appeared in-game, you'd make some people happy. :smile:

I'll definitely miss other aspects of Gateway, but it's the Guild and AH sorting/interfaces that I'll miss most. SCA was a lot of fun too.

/ExportGuildMemberList C:/GuildRoster.csv
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Hey, that companion has movement and regeneration--as well as a defense slot. I'll be sure to never use it.

Edit: Someday I'll make Squad Leader, tho.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    micky1p00 said:

I've figured it out:

Mod 6 - Dungeons removed.
    Mod 8 - C-wards removed.
    Mod 10 - Gateway removed.

Mod 12 - Chat removed.
    Mod 14 - Walking forward removed.
    Mod 16 - Loging in removed ;)

Mod 7 - LS AD removed
    Mod 9- 4 Epic dungeons permanently removed.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User

@panderus

This has ALWAYS puzzled me. Question: Why do I need to know the name and handle of the player selling anything in the Auction House? Am I suppose to use this to write them a thank you letter? This is how gold spammers pass AD farmed by botting. All you needed to do was remove a name field from the Auction House table.

I think most people here would agree, remove the name of the seller and AD cannot be exchanged. You didn't need to tear down a website for that, unless you were just looking for an excuse to place free items in the zen store and trade bar store. But then they won't be "free" anymore will they?

I agree with this sentiment.

Making the AH "Blind" seems like a simple Bot barrier that would not affect legit players.

Blind Auctions have been proposed on this forum a dozen times in the past 2 years.

Also, "Captcha" checks on the AH and other exploitable transaction interfaces have repeatedly been recommended by this community.

I have never seen a dev comment on the feasibility of these solutions. (Please post a link if I am incorrect).

@strumslinger ,

Thank you Andy for your efforts.

These sudden changes suggest a dis-investment in the game. I mean, perhaps PWE is preparing NWO for retirement?

Also, Andy, were either "Blind Auction House" or "Captcha checks" considered by your team?

If so, could you comment on the pros/cons of those options?
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    voguishvoguish Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just don't forget to (finally!) take down the gateway button on the launcher. That thing's been taunting me.

Also please save SCA as an in-game tavern based minigame or something. I need my dicerolls!
This discussion has been closed.