test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• eucha10eucha10 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    What's the new build release you are talking about that's happening this week?
  • trajantrajan Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Sue me, but this may have already been asked, but what about those of us who have tried to get into the gateway but couldn't and haven't been on it in a long time? do we get nothing? perhaps this gift is best just given out to the playerbase as a whole as the removal of the gateway is a loss to all players, not just the ones who 'used it recently'.
  • dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    eucha10 said:

I tried to better identify the modification I was speaking of. I believe it was Mod #6 where the level 60 Epic armor was made to be all but worthless with the increased damage being dealt by even the lowest level opponents in Sharandar and the Dread Ring.
    DD~
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,353 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    dionchi said:

eucha10 said:

I tried to better identify the modification I was speaking of. I believe it was Mod #6 where the level 60 Epic armor was made to be all but worthless with the increased damage being dealt by even the lowest level opponents in Sharandar and the Dread Ring.
    It might be worthless back then but some set now worth millions per piece these days (if you can actually find it from the mod 6 rage quit comebackers).
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • grzessio1grzessio1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    This is bad you close the Gateway, but is it faster make stresstest after deleting Leaderwork?

Now about SCA. I have had won about 2000 math (serious). Every day i have played about 10-15 games, because nothing gave me so much happiness at work. In game i was 4h/day (I'm nerd and pvp fan). When finally after several months you fix pvp that gave ban for problems with the internet (I'm ALWAYS disconnect every hour), than i finaly have greater willingness to enter more in-game. Returning to the SCA; You have begun to spoil him about 9 months ago, firstly it began to give all the dices as magic when I started play too fast (my record is seven minutes to do a whole lot, to collect all the boxes and making the boss). Next the uppear problem "mixing dices", nextly sudden logout, black screens, Companion could not choose any dice, and finally automatic losing, if you have used as the last any of k12 dice. Reducing SCA purple drop probably 2 weeks after the introduction of items for the companion, then after 2 months suddenly suspend drop purples items, then restore it in "appropriate time" -to me, not bother because I played in work too, so if do not drop evening, it was in work anyway. After winning my third Thief it has no longer dropped.

All these "antybots" was appear also in my sister's account SCA. How do you say about improving something, when you are spoiled it, what drove me crazy. If left 1 life in my combat companion (he have 35lvl, 5 grey k12 and one red k12)at Magra Cursed Eye, and my internet connection was suddenly disconnect I could not use any of the dices (they were been like used), and not destroyed any arrays (which from a mathematical point of view, it is less possible than drawing a $100 million in Powerball lottery). Why you are hurting normal players?

I do not want insult you, it is hard to calm down, but I'll try ...

Each of the companions has dices, so I conclude that you not gave up, if you want to make SCA in the NWO, there is no other way to do this like Respen Game (like this year). Dice game in normal life takes no more than 15 minutes. If you want to make it without bots then you will not succeed, and I speak from experience working on checking the mathematical basis of algorithms. Do not make it like snooker, because it is simple ways to make "always won game". Look at Koi-Koi (こいこい) and GO (碁) games than you will shall know what i mean. Always you can make SCA pvp game.... .

At the end I will tell you honestly something: this companion you gave as in my account will have name: BRING BACK THE GATEWAY YOU LAZY, greedy HAMSTER!.

P.S. If you want some advice about SCA, i can help, about making 11th tier of SCA too.

Thanks. I'm off.
    Sorry for my english.
  • krailovkrailov Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    Oh no, we just lost Strum! Now he is Unknown! Talk about breaking things!

Might is not always right - the powerful sometimes forget that.

The Small Band
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016
    trajan said:

Sue me, but this may have already been asked, but what about those of us who have tried to get into the gateway but couldn't and haven't been on it in a long time? do we get nothing? perhaps this gift is best just given out to the playerbase as a whole as the removal of the gateway is a loss to all players, not just the ones who 'used it recently'.

@panderus said that it would go as far back as one year. If someone did not use it for a whole year... Well... a year is a long time, so I'd have to ask why they've not used it for a whole year yet expect a freebie for using it? Just saying. ;)
  • benistvanbenistvan Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Can you at least consider releasing the gateway without the professions and SCA plz!

1. zen market functions were awesome w/o entering the game.

2. Buying stuff in the AH was awesome w/o logging in.

3. finding stuff in the inventory (I have 10+ characters) was easy with the help of gateway.

4. Guild managing for guild leaders was awesome and much faster with gateway. You could sort for last entering in gateway. You can't do that ingame. With the 150 limit we have to monitor daily if we want to make room in the guild.

Loading times are getting longer and longer module by module unfortunatelly and there were awesome gateway features for help.

• ausgardausgard Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Why not change crafting to be more hands on instead of set and forget
  • r06ue1r06ue1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

It is with some regret that we are announcing the closing of Gateway for Neverwinter. This was not an easy call. I'd like to remind people to please keep all conversation respectful. Insults, flaming, and toxicity doesn't help anyone, especially in this situation. Thank you.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10161142-gateway-closing-down

What about the equipment that drops for companions? Will that be added to the game as drops?
  • medwardl#7040 medwardl Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Out of curiosity how is the server load now compared to with gateway, specifically the character loading server?
    It seems to me there is a lot of people attempting to blame "bots" for every unfortunate or deviant thing that happens in Neverwinter - personally I don't find that to be the case.

As with so many things in real life I find the inflated prices more attributable to individual player greed by some players than anything having to do with 'bots'...

The people who seem to have nothing but time (or money) to either continuously farm or grind dungeons or skirmishes for AD's or buy the gear that allows them to more effectively and readily obtain large amounts of AD's from their efforts have the financial means to buy up low or reasonably priced items on the Auction House and then turn around and attempt to sell them at inflated prices - which gives them even more AD's in addition to their being able to more easily grind for AD's which allows them to buy low, inflate the prices and sell high cutting out those of us who have real life responsibilities, who can't commit the time to repeatedly grind for AD's or won't (again) pay to obtain AD's to purchase items from the AH at those inflated prices - we're left twisting in the wind.

That's not just my opinion, for actual proof of that just visit the Auction House and see how stacks of enchantments and runes are for sale from the same person the person who buys up lower priced items then stacks them and charges more for them than the going rate should be to artifically inflate the prices.

And now that just about every method for obtaining AD's by players with limited time or resources has been all but done away with I think the problem is just going to be made worse instead of better.

Those able to make massive amounts of AD's (or willing to chance getting AD's from third party websites) will still buy up lower priced items, enchantments, rune stones, and stack them to sell them at a higher price on the AH and artificially inflate prices.

Seems to me the only people who are actually being adversely effected by these "attempts to discourage boting" and "abuses of the AD earning methods" are the ocassional and casual players with limited resources and without the inclination to buy AD's from those third party sites - even the ones who were at one time amicable to purchasing Zen gift cards from Perfect World/Cryptic/Neverwinter.

That's my opinon anyway.
    DD~
    edited September 2016
    r06ue1 said:

It is with some regret that we are announcing the closing of Gateway for Neverwinter. This was not an easy call. I'd like to remind people to please keep all conversation respectful. Insults, flaming, and toxicity doesn't help anyone, especially in this situation. Thank you.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10161142-gateway-closing-down

What about the equipment that drops for companions? Will that be added to the game as drops?
    They recently added those Zen Market coupons and occasional Stone drops in invocation rewards with a previous change to the invocation system, so I don't see any reason why they can't put those former Gateway "loyalty rewards" along with those Sword Coast reward bags drops in occasional invocation rewards as well - unless they just don't want to that is.
    DD~
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User

diogene0 said:

The foundry sucks and should never ever be put in any meaningful way in relation with endgame at all. I'd rather get nothing at all instead of enduring someone's verbal diarrhea for 20 minutes. Most foundry authors forget this is an action game and not a "how long can i make this" simulator.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and yes there is quite a bit of junk (and abuse) in the Foundry. There is also a whole lot of exceptional content. It's hard to find and PWE never developed an adequate system to let the good stuff rise o the top.

Some amazing stories are told in the Foundry even with the limitations of the authoring environment.
    They don't want "amazing stories" it's an "action" game -- all they want is "insert sword here for phat loot raining from the sky."
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    farla47 said:

I would also like to add my opinion on the murdering of the gateway-

This is HAMSTER.

\Please... won't someone think of the hamsters. aw, man... now i'm hungry again 0,o
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited September 2016

seijida said:

Yeah u want to stop otters and all....

vortican said:

I have long said that those damn otters are ruining the game for everyone. The baby seals are legitimate though.

For them, I enjoy crafting many, many pairs of pants.

Beaten to the punch(line).

I will simply leave this here: http://discourseontheotter.tumblr.com/
    obsiddia said:

Please thank the wonderful people who made and balanced the SCA dice game.
    I got 100s of hours of enjoyment through lots of health issues, and I think they deserve some praise.

...Assuming you haven't fired them already. :/

Actually, SCA was created by NW's former lead designer, Scott Shicoff, who recently left of his own volition. Game dev churn. I find it a funny coincidence that they finally decided to pull the plug on what was almost undoubtedly his baby so shortly after his departure, but I'm sure that it is simply a coincidence.

They have made a couple of items "trade 1 time." Couple of mods ago, they changed all the bags to trade one time.

They changed the bags to bind on equip rather than never bind. You can trade a bag all you want as long as you never actually use it.

True.. as far as it goes. But they did, once, make all equipped bags, except the 3 free to grind ones, able to be un-equipped & traded. Once. As soon as they were re-equipped they became bind to character again. Looking back, the two items are probably related. in order to prevent permanent hearing loss over the screams of " butt.. butt.. I just BOUGHT a bag & now they are tradeable!!!!" They just made 'em tradeable 1time. My point remains unchanged, the code DOES exist to make an item 1-time tradeable.

edited September 2016

They changed the bags to bind on equip rather than never bind. You can trade a bag all you want as long as you never actually use it.

I think the key phrase everyone should take note of is "They changed the bag...", the fact is that for at least some bags (the Greater Bag of Holding is a perfect example) I bought several with foreknowledge that I could use those bags and trade them back and forth between my characters as they were being played and the others were dormant...

Obviously I was more interested in actually playing the game than reading the update and patch notes and missed the memo that the bags that weren't bound to character, that I purchased with the intent of equiping them to characters I was actually playing, would be bound to character when I transfered them to another player...

*OK I admit some of that was my fault for wanting to actually play the game, instead of read the weekly patch notes.

Then "they" came along and 'changed the bags', and now I have several seldom played characters who I only made for esthetics (one of every class and one of every race) that have those Greater Bags of Holding and I can no longer transfer them to the main characters I actually play...

The same thing happened to the Black Horse mount...

I purchased several of these mounts and put them in the shared bank account to give to characters as they advanced, but when I intended to temporarily take them out to do some 'house keeping' BOOM! - bound to character and when I notified support about my problem they just informed me they cannot unbind items that are bound to character (even if they weren't previously bound to character), that really sucked
    DD~
  • saiuriefayesaiuriefaye Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    how long ago would you have had to log into the gate way to get the companion. i havent logged into it in a bit but i have used it quite a bit and feel that i should be entitled for some compensation for it being removed along with the others. for i am also out of that resource. also what will we do now when the AH glitches because it does alot the gateway AH was FAR more stable. @strumslinger
  • playersnoopyplayersnoopy Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    I understand there was something being exploited in gateway or just severe botting going on but couldn't you just turn those features off and leave other parts alone.

I personally just want the Inventory part as I used to have gateway opened while I'm in game waiting for queue or waiting to form a group and go through my other characters and take care of inventory. I don't even remember where I moved some of my stuff to and now I'm forced to suffer through Connecting to server... just going through my inventory. Auction house is another thing but if that was the issue then ok leave it off; SCA? I played it maybe less than 10 times in the past 3 years so I don't really care but I'm going to guess botters were exploiting that too for companion gear or what not.

But seriously can't you leave some non exploitable aspects alone?
  • lythaguslythagus Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Not Cool. For those of us that use the gateway daily, i really wish you could have found a way to save this. I will be the first to say that I used the gateway to find items to sell on auction. This was the best way to get AD for use in game to buy needed thing in the auction.

There had to be a way to better combat BOTS then just shut it down and give up.

• ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    @saiuriefaye Anyone who's used the Gateway in the last year is eligible.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Agreed - just make the whole thing read-only. SCA would become pointless, but nevertheless - a read only gateway wouldn't be excessively botted, nor would it pose performance problems.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    I'd rather not see them waste time and effort putting out a crippled version of the Gateway. There's more than enough game and content issues for them to work on, and I want to see improvement there.

i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Rare is the day where they give something back.
    I aim to misbehave
  • socialnomad#0947 socialnomad Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    How about making it a paid app for mobile (iOS and Android)? If you really want to keep it more under control, allow only VIP users to use it.

The gateway is one of the major reasons I stuck with the game, because I don't have much free time behind a computer, but I do have a lot of the time out of the house to play SCA, shop at the AH, and browse the Zen store on my iPad.

I would be very open to paying $5 for an app so I can do a little Neverwinter while waiting in line or sitting on the the train.
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User

I'd rather not see them waste time and effort putting out a crippled version of the Gateway. There's more than enough game and content issues for them to work on, and I want to see improvement there.

They proved before they can disable certain aspects, and it isn't like would have to build anything. Just get in the code, turn off the AH, Zax, Professions and bam, useful tool.

Not going to rehash the entire threads dedicated to the gateway, but in a time when other games are releasing gateway-style apps, its a shame to remove it.

Hopefully we will see all these freed up resources add some QOL enhancements to the client.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User

You're kinda missing the point, console-players have asked for a way to get the companion-only items for a very long time, and had the developers bothered to do something about that, they could simply have switched PC over to that.

Maybe this WAS the move to make it available to all.

@panderus I wish we we're able to build our own web tools to VIEW data. If your team was to provide the information required to read the data, I can assure you the community would come up with what we want! This would require very little Dev time in the long run and assist your community. The same could be offered to consoles for those who wanted to put in the time to develop their companion app!
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    eldarth said:

diogene0 said:

The foundry sucks and should never ever be put in any meaningful way in relation with endgame at all. I'd rather get nothing at all instead of enduring someone's verbal diarrhea for 20 minutes. Most foundry authors forget this is an action game and not a "how long can i make this" simulator.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and yes there is quite a bit of junk (and abuse) in the Foundry. There is also a whole lot of exceptional content. It's hard to find and PWE never developed an adequate system to let the good stuff rise o the top.

Some amazing stories are told in the Foundry even with the limitations of the authoring environment.
    They don't want "amazing stories" it's an "action" game -- all they want is "insert sword here for phat loot raining from the sky."
    Absolutely. There are many ways to tell a story, text is the least convenient and interesting one in a game. Videos and cutscenes come right next in the boring category. You can also tell a story through the environment/art, with the props you're using, or with the game mechanics you're requiring for your content. This is how you make "amazing stories" that fit in an "action game". It's clearly possible to tell a fantastic story using less than 200 words in the foundry! :)

They proved before they can disable certain aspects, and it isn't like would have to build anything. Just get in the code, turn off the AH, Zax, Professions and bam, useful tool.

Useful? What's left?

Looking at inventory on alts or reading mail? I hardly call that a "must have" feature worthy of continued support, or even the effort to dig into the code and make it work, as well as ensuring that these features are indeed "off" and inaccessible to botters and exploiters.

It's a waste of time.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I agree there should be a read-only version. I'll admit I'm no expert, but I don't think that it's too time-consuming to disable the harmful functions on the server side. The environment is already there and coded. Just let node.js return a generic error message and let's go. In a second step you could entirely remove the functions from the front-end, but that's not even necessary.

That shouldn't take too much dev resources, at least not so much that they can't take care of other issues. You're probably talking 3-4 hours here. Then again their mentioned "resources" do not only include dev time. It's hardware and technical maintenance as well. That might actually be the biggest culprit. The Gateway software itself hasn't visibly been updated since its introduction anyway, so they can't really save devs by shutting it down.

I also agree modern games need fancy HAMSTERS like the Gateway. This MMO always has been pretty standard. Now minus foundry and minus Gateway the two more innovative features are gone. It's not getting easier on a very competitive market in which "dailies" do not separate you from the competition.​​
This discussion has been closed.