test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stop Punishing players who HATE PVP

phaadnightsongphaadnightsong Member Posts: 22 Arc User
This seems to be a staple in every game out there. Mechanics of the game to achieve all that there is to achieve only if you waste time getting specialized gear just so you can waste even more time by letting other players beat the HAMSTER out of your character just so they can feel better about themselves and then gloat over how much you s0 don't matter is not what Pure PVE players call, fun.

(*)PVP is like psychotically diving head first into an industrial chipper, pulling yourself back together and then rushing back to do it all over again. I think I'm on to something there- you never get all of the pieces back, and they are rarely; if ever, in the right order. Tells you something about those who love it, maybe.

JUST ONCE, I'd like to see a game offer a check box for Opt out of PVP, which would unlock, Pure PVE only quest content that would be equivalent to the rewards gained from PVP, say in the form of quests/dungeons where you wind up fighting 'Paranoid Delusions' of yourself and party group, where the dungeon takes on a PVP like setting. Then, it's only the game using copies of the players involved to get through the quest. I like that idea of a optional style of PVP in a PVE only setting. Then, you are only as good as yourself and those you came in with.

These dungeons would lock out your companions so it is strictly you versus the copies. You can get the PVP based rewards, without having the PVP stigma and that normally comes with PVP; after all, you aren't really gonna gloat over how much you're SO not good enough, at least I hope you don't.... And, for those who mention how often their copy beat the HAMSTER out of you, you can simply ignore them so they can't party with you ever again. This also makes it possible for players who don't really like grouping to play solo for the same rewards.

Man this turned out better than I thought, or not. Comments will reveal who loves PVP (SEE PVP COMMENT ABOVE*) and who doesn't as those who love it maybe they'll probably be a bit trollish.

Comments

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    Why would you need PVP rewards if you don't PVP? There is nothing on that side of the fence a PVE player needs, or should even want.

I really don't understand this rant, PVE players do not need to PVP, they do not even need to give it a sideways glance if they don't want to. So whats the problem? In the three years I've been here, I have never PVPed. I have never been tempted to, or enticed to with gear. And I have never felt myself lacking because of it.

• Options
    phaadnightsongphaadnightsong Member Posts: 22 Arc User

Why would you need PVP rewards if you don't PVP? There is nothing on that side of the fence a PVE player needs, or should even want.

I really don't understand this rant, PVE players do not need to PVP, they do not even need to give it a sideways glance if they don't want to. So whats the problem? In the three years I've been here, I have never PVPed. I have never been tempted to, or enticed to with gear. And I have never felt myself lacking because of it.

There are achievements that only can only get through the PVP system as it stands.

There are some who would like to earn all of the achievements possible, but detest PVP. This causes a problem for those players, and as stated, this is common in pretty much every game out there.

In fact, I do believe that there are some things in the Stronghold that require the PVP element for the building and use of those items. Small, non-PVP guilds will not get these because of this, but if they are only for PVP, then they would only want them to make the stronghold look good, if they cared enough about how it looks versus PVP.

Personally, I really don't like having anything left 'incomplete', or 'out of balance' in games, since I have more than enough of that in life. I see PVE as the good side of things and PVP as the negative, and the two as a whole; complete. But detest PVP; therefor, I would like a way to earn a similar reward as PVP in a PVE way. Does this help clear things up a bit?
  • Options
    Soooo, you want achievements without actually doing the thing to....achieve them?

Good luck with that.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    It's not Cryptic's job to cater to your OCD. I'm not trying to be mean about that (sometimes I struggle with such things too), but it's A LOT healthier to be able to learn to let these things go.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    The only possible way players who hate pvp are "forced" into pvp is if their guild needs conq shards to build the barracks. And even then a small guild won't have the numbers to get enough conq shards to build with. Cryptic has helpfully provided Shard packs in the zen store to deal with this problem.

Now obviously having to pay zen is a poor option and conq shards should be available in other ways as well (more than the 20 per week currently available through PVE) but the rest of your arguments of why pvp rewards should be available via beating on crappy PvE AI monsters are silly. If you were arguing that pvp has issues and makes it very very hard to earn those achievements for new players then that would be entirely a different thing,. But achievements are there to say I did something, and yet as sockmunkey says, you seem to want achievements without actually doing the thing to achieve them.
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    kalina311kalina311 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,082 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    +1

beckylunatic

It's not Cryptic's job to cater to your OCD. I'm not trying to be mean about that (sometimes I struggle with such things too), but it's A LOT healthier to be able to learn to let these things go.

on the flip side They should stop punishing players that hate pve as well LOL
    Post edited by kalina311 on
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    There was a time when pvp was fun.... power creep and skill changes killed that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2016

There was a time when pvp was fun.... power creep and skill changes killed that

PVP became an AD sinkhole of sinkholes. Tenacity punished players for maxing PVE stats. Specialty armors only acquirable through narrow (sucky) options.

As for the OP--either do PVP or forget getting the accomplishments. I did a *LOT* of PVP and only have some of them.
  • Options
    jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    metalldjt said:

as much as you try to say that pvp punishes pve, its actually the opposite, pve side punishes pvp players.

You are saying this about what is mechanically a PvE game?
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

Well technically there are the blood raven skulls. At this point PvP players can farm feeders for powet artifacts while PvE players are paying 200k AD.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

Well technically there are the blood raven skulls. At this point PvP players can farm feeders for powet artifacts while PvE players are paying 200k AD.
    PvE players also have salvage drop from all content that they do allowing them to gain AD in that manner. PvP drops blues and maybe 15K AD over 30 matches in a day? I think it balances out more in PvE's favor when it comes to who makes more money while playing
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    scathias said:

urabask said:

PvE players also have salvage drop from all content that they do allowing them to gain AD in that manner. PvP drops blues and maybe 15K AD over 30 matches in a day? I think it balances out more in PvE's favor when it comes to who makes more money while playing
    Yeah because all those PvP players are just ignoring PvE and using their credit card to buy AD /s . PvP players just run through 2 dungeons and 2 skirmishes and make 90% of the AD that PvE players make in a day on a toon anyways all in about thirty minutes.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    You can't get PVP many of the rewards including good PVP armor and weapons (or even complete the new seer's quests) without being able to kick the HAMSTER out of other players in player -vs- player matches...

You can't kick the HAMSTER out of other players in PVP unless you have some of the of the better PVP armor and weapons.

Kind of like a mission impossible unless a player is willing to pay for gear they need, cowtow to a guild that often could care less about the advancement of (or assistance to) a lower level player who doesn't have a 25K gear score who is more likely to kick you from a guild instead of helping you get the gear (score) you need.

Again a bit of a catch-22 situation unless a player just happens to luck out and fall in with a well equiped crowd for Domination which is more unlikely recently since many players go for the private ques instead of the public ones.

Anyone reading the Looking for Group calls in PE? Everyone wants teammates with super high DPS and or gear scores, without that they won't even talk to you, let alone let you join the group and I get it, people want to win... but how does a player get in with a group to get better gear or improve their DPS if they don't already have high DPS or gear scores?

IMO the more "improvements" Cryptic makes to Neverwinter the worse it is for the casual player who can't dedicate hours and hours or lots of money to playing the game.

But of course that's just my opinion.
    DD~
  • Options
    ...how can you not do the seer's quests (order of the 3rd eye right?) without pvp? i did all those quests and i never went to pvp at all. I had to abuse orcs in the tower district, and i guess that means i was mean to the poor lv 15s in there who had no orcs to kill but that was the extent of it.

And this has been said many many times. Don't go to zone chat for groups. Get a guild who loves you for who you are and not your ilv. There a ton of them around. Like a ton. just ask around.
  • Options
    merileemerilee Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    *raises a hand*

uhm... there's that nifty pirate fashion at the top end rewards for the PVP chain. As far as I am aware, there is nothing compatible in the PVE line. I would love to have that outfit, but not enough to PVP for it. That said, I have considered setting up with friends to "spar" to get PVP points, but I am pretty sure that would not work.

Sooooo, yes, there is at the very least one reward from PVP that PVE can not get that there is no reason for other than to reward PVP.
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    merilee said:

*raises a hand*

uhm... there's that nifty pirate fashion at the top end rewards for the PVP chain. As far as I am aware, there is nothing compatible in the PVE line. I would love to have that outfit, but not enough to PVP for it. That said, I have considered setting up with friends to "spar" to get PVP points, but I am pretty sure that would not work.

Sooooo, yes, there is at the very least one reward from PVP that PVE can not get that there is no reason for other than to reward PVP.

It's purely aesthetic though. It's like a huge "I'm a PVP player" stamp on your forehead. Anyway, there are other pirate fashion items that come as a reward for participating in events.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    araneaxaraneax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 639 Arc User
    merilee said:

*raises a hand*

PSTTT...

You make a deal with a PVP guildie, during the PVP event , you give that person something in return , equal value, he gets you the outfit.
    It worked for me. ;)
    d7d81448-df6b-48cf-94a0-cf1ba87d861a_zpsish6zr2v.jpg

• Options
    They also gave out a nearly identical pirate set with a recent humble bundle pack. It pretty much completely devalued the PVP set.
  • Options

They also gave out a nearly identical pirate set with a recent humble bundle pack. It pretty much completely devalued the PVP set.

The Humble pirate set is the exact same fashion items as were available BoE from the PvP Combat League. I bought quite a lot of those because everyone and their dog was undercutting on them so they were cheeeeeeaaaaap, and have been selling them off now because I got the Humble set later.

And it's not really anything close to as nice as the PvP set if you do a side-by-side compare. The PvP set is crisp and flawless. The Humble (etc.) textures are muddy and the jacket has holes burned in it. But the boots are fine. I initially thought the holes in the textures were a bug, but it seems to be intentional, precisely to leave a reason to want the real thing and not a cheap knock-off. :p

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    forumnamesuxsforumnamesuxs Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 490 Arc User

There was a time when pvp was fun.... drains, discusting rings, power creep and skill changes killed that

There, fixed it for you.
    Wolves, big as a horse! I need new pants!

• Options
    jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    null
    This, so much this.
  • Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    scathias said:

...how can you not do the seer's quests (order of the 3rd eye right?) without pvp? i did all those quests and i never went to pvp at all. I had to abuse orcs in the tower district, and i guess that means i was mean to the poor lv 15s in there who had no orcs to kill but that was the extent of it.

And this has been said many many times. Don't go to zone chat for groups. Get a guild who loves you for who you are and not your ilv. There a ton of them around. Like a ton. just ask around.

Sorry for the late reply, but real life often intrudes on gaming matters unfortunately.

Not specifically the Seer's quest but the Campaign Tree one obtains from the Seer quest...

One of the areas a person needs to complete is the PVP quests, not merely participating in but actually winning a PVP bout and without the gear that many of the more dedicated PVP players have the chances of winning is... well, "remote" would be the kindest word I can think of.

And the thing about guilds is so many of those 'lovable' guilds won't tolerate any member who has a family, a job or other real life obligations. I've joined several and been kicked out for "not participating" to their expectations, why keep putting myself through that?

Since the guild feature came about I have only found one guild that isn't all about kicking out members that don't participate to their expectations, especially since the membership cap has been reduced to 150 accounts, and I rarely find anyone from that guild online but the rare occasion I do see someone from the guild online, they are usually busy doing their thing and not inclined to help anyone acquire the kinds of gear they usually already have.

DD~
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    o_o But, you're on about an 'opt out' option but you have to opt-in by using the queue feature to begin with...

The rewards from PVP suck for PVE content generally, the artifacts from PVP are also mediocre for the most part, so why do you need to pvp? What do pvp'ers have that you dont that you need to play PVE content?

This really confuses me. I PVP occasionally for a laugh and to help my guild along in getting conquerors shards, otherwise I have no need to pvp at all, literally - not at all.
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    sasageru said:

What do pvp'ers have that you dont that you need to play PVE content?

Conqueror Shards.
  • Options
    dionchi said:

Sorry for the late reply, but real life often intrudes on gaming matters unfortunately.

Not specifically the Seer's quest but the Campaign Tree one obtains from the Seer quest...

Sorry, but this is friggin' bonkers.

You do not need to complete every single thing in the campaign tree if you don't want to. Don't want to do the PvP campaign, DON'T.

There is no meta reward for finishing every campaign. The rewards in the PvP campaign are primarily useful for playing PvP (and often not even that anymore).

Like I said to the OP, it's not Cryptic's job to cater to your OCD tendencies. The campaign is in there because they need to put access to the campaign into the UI because it exists. That doesn't mean anyone is forcing you to do it.

Neverwinter Census 2017