test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Patch Notes: NW.55.20160125b.5

strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

Comments

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    First off I would post this in the release notes if we had any for today, even though I know they'd get lost in other chatter from changes being made.

Today the patch server did not receive the local client patch until the game server was brought online or near when the game server was brought online. Typically during maintenance I will open the NWO launcher and let the patchserver give me the latest live version of the game. If the game server is still down I will rotate to NeverwinterPreview and then on to Owlbear to patch while the servers are down so I'll have the latest version should I need them during the week. I rotate between these things as I'm doing other tasks (todays task was cleaning the bathrooms), and circle back through them as time allows.

When the game server came online I try to login to the game and sure enough there is a version mismatch and I need to download a 440MB patch. So now the game is online and I cannot play (no my internet is not slow (15MB) but I am obviously competing with the rest of the adventures of Neverwinter to get this patch).

In short, can someone look at updating the patch server earlier in the maintenance cycle so we can pre-download?

Not complaining because the outage was way shorter than posted.

BTW isn't 440 MB excessive for a removing wards and blood rubies from the bar store? What is in this patch?
  • Options
    malakut#1916 malakut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    That's what I'm trying to figure out as well.
  • Options
    That's it? THAT'S what the 400+MB patch is for? And weren't these just typed up about less than 10 minutes ago?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator

That's it? THAT'S what the 400+MB patch is for? And weren't these just typed up about less than 10 minutes ago?

The size indicated on the patcher isn't necessarily how much it is downloading but rather how much data is being pacthed in ways like moved around, overwritten, or otherwise changed. What does it matter when the notes were "typed" up anyway. Such a strange complaint.
  • Options
    zebular said:

The size indicated on the patcher isn't necessarily how much it is downloading but rather how much data is being pacthed in ways like moved around, overwritten, or otherwise changed. What does it matter when the notes were "typed" up anyway. Such a strange complaint.
    It wasn't a complaint. Just a question. Jeeze... And as for when they were typed, I normally have them before the patch goes up. That way my guild can discuss the notes and what to expect when the game comes back online. But ok Zeb. Thanks for the update. PM me. I have a thread to send you about something that shouldn't be public (if you haven't gotten to it by now).
  • Options
    lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    metalldjt said:

i love it ! great news andy . i am waiting for the servers to go up and enjoy the game.

Agreed, I was a bit skeptical myself when it took so long for the original content to come back but changes like this show that they are indeed listening to what the players have been asking for
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    lul.. There is as much dvelving in these patchnotes like there are in the new levling dungeons. Took about 30 sec to finish it.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    Strange that such a small patch where NO major mechanics was changed will have the servers fail.

Are you perhaps doing something else .... emergency repairs or something.
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    stevewhiteravenstevewhiteraven Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User

•Coalescent Wards, Preservation Wards, and Blood Rubies are no longer purchasable from the Trade Bar Store., ok now I say, LAME!!!!! this is sooooo not the way to approach this.

I got to put my foot down as the customer and say Oh HECK NO!!!!

well i sometimes buy keys on basis that if i get alot of useless stuff (which is the norm) at least i can get a coelecent ward or ruby ..now its totally pointless wasing money on keys

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User

Delve into our patch notes for our maintenance on 2/19.

va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    andorrabellandorrabell Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    I want a 2AD weekend.
    RIGHT NOW.
    What a waste of a day to patch in things no one wants.
  • Options
    matthattrmatthattr Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    The reason it's so big is the stealth nerfs that they DIDN'T want you to know about until they were in already, the OTHER things they are "altering" besides the "adjustments" to trade bar store. Like the long time ago nerfs to AD generation that they were going to "fix" that haven't been, or the "pricing adjustments" that were coming soon(tm).

As to buying keys and figuring it would wash out in the change with the trade bar market? You ACTUALLY spent MONEY for something and believed what they said? Your just one more of the long line of peeps PW/Cryptic suckered....sorry :/

Don't EVER believe what they tell you 100%, maybe in the range of 15% can you trust what you are told by this corp. they have a bad track record in the trustabilty area.
  • Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    @strumslinger ... thanks for the update, Andy! Better late than never, I always say. :-)
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    elrinnarelrinnar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    Does nobody at Cryptic understand that sudden and unpredictable changes in the in-game economy discourages the expenditure of real money that could end up in their coffers? Both real and artificial markets hate uncertainty, and the long record of tampering with the mechanics of the in-game economy has finally gotten me to swear off any real money investment in the game. Thanks for helping me overcome my bad habits.
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    zebular said:

What does it matter when the notes were "typed" up anyway. Such a strange complaint.

It matters immensely.

IMMENSELY.

It directly reflects upon the attitudes of the company towards the game and the player base.

"We're going to nerf something that's going to cause a lot of outrage. Let's announce it at the last second just before we vanish for the weekend."

"But we can do better than that, boss!"

"Hmm...You're right. Also don't bother posting any patch notes about it until waaaaaaay later than usual. See if the techies can make the maintenance take several hours longer, but make sure nobody ever says why."

"Brilliant, boss! We are soooooo good at communicating! They're really gonna feel the love from us on this one!"

There are no real world analogies for this, as the real world simply wasn't designed to accommodate such things.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    I'd actually expect that the script to mail you a jewel if it can't be properly reslotted onto your existing ring (because there's something else there) is pretty frickin' complicated. Patch size is because they'd have to modify the item file for each ring that could be affected.

As for the lateness of the notes, I found it unusual and disconcerting. Witholding notes and not posting a test build has often meant there was something in the patch we're not supposed to find out about. And in this case, though we had an announcement about the change that would be received negatively, the notes were otherwise short, with the only item being a welcome fix. It just seems like there wasn't a solid reason for not getting them to us sooner so that we didn't need to wonder and worry about what else might be happening.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    aleblainaleblain Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User
    I think it's the 1st time I witness how you delay the patch notes info enough time to hide your actions. Lame!, really... such lame atittude!
  • Options
    mstrssihrmstrssihr Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 545 Arc User
    zibadawa said:

zebular said:

What does it matter when the notes were "typed" up anyway. Such a strange complaint.

It matters immensely.

IMMENSELY.

It directly reflects upon the attitudes of the company towards the game and the player base.

"We're going to nerf something that's going to cause a lot of outrage. Let's announce it at the last second just before we vanish for the weekend."

"But we can do better than that, boss!"

"Hmm...You're right. Also don't bother posting any patch notes about it until waaaaaaay later than usual. See if the techies can make the maintenance take several hours longer, but make sure nobody ever says why."

"Brilliant, boss! We are soooooo good at communicating! They're really gonna feel the love from us on this one!"

There are no real world analogies for this, as the real world simply wasn't designed to accommodate such things.
    I lol'd ^^

As far as the game goes I'm actually pretty gutted about the state of things, overall. </3
    - Major Peachy Bottom * Gutbuster's Brigade -

"Last request - microtransactions for alllll old skins for zen/weapon appearance changes, 500 zen to make ur wep glow the color/enchant you want it... You will make more off that one item than any other zen item ever made." freshour

"beckylunatic" Gateway AH should have column headers to sort by buyout, bid, end time, quantity, etc. These disappeared iirc with the module launch. It's obnoxious.
  • Options
    aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    aleblain said:

I think it's the 1st time I witness how you delay the patch notes info enough time to hide your actions. Lame!, really... such lame atittude!

They didnt hide anything... the changes to the TB store were announced yesterday here:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1212367/update-on-the-trade-bar-store

... clearly stating they were removing the wards today. The ensuing flames that engulfed the forums could be seen around the globe, and are still burning today.

Just because the patch notes stating that change werent released until the last minute, does not mean they tried to sneak this past anyone.

While I do not agree with the decision to remove the wards from the TB store, making up stories about them trying to blindside everyone on patch day is just absurd.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    The fact that they announced the t-bar change but didn't post notes made people squirrelly about what else might be happening... which was basically nothing. But we didn't have anything to attempt to reassure us. It was odd and poorly timed.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited February 2016

aleblain said:

They didnt hide anything... the changes to the TB store were announced yesterday here:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1212367/update-on-the-trade-bar-store

... clearly stating they were removing the wards today. The ensuing flames that engulfed the forums could be seen around the globe, and are still burning today.

Just because the patch notes stating that change werent released until the last minute, does not mean they tried to sneak this past anyone.

While I do not agree with the decision to remove the wards from the TB store, making up stories about them trying to blindside everyone on patch day is just absurd.
    IKR they gave everyone fifteen hours before they blindsided them.

There are a lot of people that don't check the forums on a daily basis and you're delusional if you think Cryptic didn't screw over a good amount of people by delaying their announcment until 3PM the day before the patch.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    aleblainaleblain Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 76 Arc User
    @aimeesellers... come on pal, stfuuu!
    I have been here all Thursdays since Mod 4 (when I discovered the patch notes). And I find this ultra hyper suspicious!

And YES, just because the patch notes statin that changes weren't released until the last minute, SURELY mean they tried to sneak this OR SOMETHING past anyone. I knew about this change yesterday, I'm not worry personally about it, I do feel sorry about newer players. But I really believe there's something else hidden here!
  • Options
    synsandsynsand Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    So after this patch I can no longer get into NeverWinterNights
  • Options
    aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    Oh I agree that one day notice is BS... the whole change is BS. But it isnt the first time that patch notes have been last minute. Think what you want about that... it doesn't matter anyway. They arent going to listen to the players complaints.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
This discussion has been closed.