test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Game Crash to Desktop and Client Freezes.

Comments

• muratttimurattti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 417 Arc User
    maintenance windows 7 64-bit using I w10 I'm going to play there was erased before I know once you get past give the client error of 5 times the machine restarding , my gtx970 AMD FX 3850 has processor, but we miss to play a futile mistake where I do not know the way the game is at your leisure.
  • zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    zebular said:

Any further details other than what you posted would be welcomed. Be as detailed as possible. We're keeping this info updated in a special section of the forum for the Developers as well but wanted to have the list here also for you all.

I mostly experience crashes in combat, and frequently (but not always) there's a lightning bolt (from maelstrom) on the screen. I cannot recall having crashed on strictly solo content as a TR. Usually this occurs during PvP (example: in a domination map I was on cap #2, and off in the distance on cap #1 a lightning bolt appeared and I crashed at the same instant), demogorgon, or demonic HEs, but that's also the majority of the content I run. In one case I have crashed during the loading screen (an issue I recall experiencing rarely since long before the last update). I do not recall yet having issues on the character selection screen--and I always double-click. Though in a sort-of login related matter: when my main crashed immediately after loading into Prophecy of Madness (I spacebar'd out of the intro movie, and immediately crashed when the camp was rendered), I tried to log back in soon afterwards only to crash again in the same way, and then when I tried to log into it again the game froze before the loading screen even popped up. I played my alt for a while and then when I tried the main again it said there was an error and asked if I wanted to try loading into the same place or my last "safe" load. I went for the safe way and was fine.
  • rivodus07rivodus07 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    zebular

Please be aware that a select amount of people have been crashing to desktop during fights just after strongholds went live.

I'm not sure if the crash is related to the new crashes that are happening at random lately, it feels like it though.

I've been waiting months to stream Neverwinter on my high end rig but I have been unable to do so because the game crashes at random points during fights even on training dummies.

Please believe me when I say I have tried everything from downgrading windows to wipeing my hardrives nothing works. It feels like some sort of problem with the Nvidia drivers or Windows 10.
  • aimeesellersaimeesellers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    @zebular ... Thank you for compiling all of this. It has been a long, frustrating weekend for all of us with the issues we are having with the game. In the early stages of it... I think many of us felt like we werent being taken seriously. It is also worth noting, that there are many who play NW, that dont even read the forums... much less post on them. The reports noted here are only a portion of the people having the same issues. I know in our guild alone... close to half of the players seem affected by the "client freeze in combat" issue.

Also... in regards to that issue, you may want to note that it isnt just Maelstrom that seems to cause the freeze up... but any in game effect similar to it. (Stormcallers in GWD, Malabog, Cloud Giants, etc). The same, or similar texture sprites are probably used for all of them.

The one thing I have found that seems to help the most, is turning off shadows totally. It doesnt eliminate the crashes... but it greatly reduces them... at least on my end. It does make the game look a bit funny with no shadows on though :(

In any case... the holiday is over... the devs are back... and I hope a resolution can be found to this, and the other issues that popped up after the last patch, sooner rather than later.
    A'Mie Stormshield (GF) / A'Mie Stormshard (CW)
    Play Legit or Quit
    PandorasMisfits_Logo_175_zpskpytcqxc.png
    Pandora's Misfits Guild Leader
  • revdeadcorpserevdeadcorpse Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 21 Arc User
    Adding some more data...

Win 10 Pro Ver 1511 Build 10586.14
    Macbook Pro. Intel Core i7-4770 @2.20GHz 16Gb RAM. Stock Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics. Driver Version 10.18.15.4256

Crash logs:
    151128 01:55:19 232 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151128 17:42:22 296 Client[0 P[505430395@7557428 Gestia Svartdottir@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151128 22:35:40 228 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151129 15:56:01 164 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151129 17:42:28 192 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151129 22:54:35 206 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151130 03:04:51 192 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151130 04:19:22 164 Client[0 P[504898569@7557428 Rivaatis Stormdoter@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151130 14:55:56 218 Client[0 P[505430395@7557428 Gestia Svartdottir@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151130 15:53:38 222 Client[0 P[505430395@7557428 Gestia Svartdottir@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()
    151130 16:37:43 222 Client[0 P[102567792@7557428 Noram Everhate@revdeadcorpse]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

Started last week after the latest update. Before that, crashes were rare... Happening maybe once every 40-50 hours of playtime.

Crashes can happen anywhere, or any time. I've had it crash logging in. Crash during combat in Dead Ring, Well of Dragons, Sharandar, etc... as well as during skirmishes and single dungeons like the Quickling Den.

Throw a Warning in the Win System on event viewer. "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Cranking the settings down, limiting fps to 30, etc... Nothing works. Game is nearly unplayable now.

And yeah, I tried some of other steps as well... Re-install with a regclean, clear out all system tmp files, nuke Gameprefs.Prefs file...

All of this stems from the Tuesday patch. It isn't your drivers or your video card (or if it is, it is directly related to something they rendered incompatible in this latest patch).

The other notable thing that is happening is people freezing up on specific characters at the Character Select screen...http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/comment/12754890

Of course, now it is Thanksgiving, so just when we were looking forward to getting in some quality gaming time, it's broken with little chance of a fix until after the weekend...

Please listen to this person's logic. Please for the love of whatever ..stop talking about rolling back drivers, and nVidia and etc etc and lowering quality, and saying "you fixed it" when u didnt.

It's a problem from the last patch and until they address it we will continue to crash. I have tried everything mentioned in several different posts in these forums and it's so intermittent that you will/may think it is fixed and then several hours later, it rears it's ugly head. Heck I even thought I had it licked too... played like 3 hours last night and then BAMN, this morning all I did was sign in and invoke and right in the middle of the invoke, freeze... Gameclient not responding.

I never crash in this game prior to last Tues. patch. Now I've crashed probably 30-50 times just since Black Friday.

This. All of it...
    Even though it isn't reflected in the logs, either System or Game, the pop-up error message is as follows:

"Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED) while creating index buffer. Reason: 0x887a0006 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) Technical Details: GetLastError()=0, details = 0x437074d"

According to MS...

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb509553(v=vs.85).aspx

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG
    0x887A0006

The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.
  • geetheblueskygeethebluesky Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Regarding the Maelstrom issue specifically: Since not using it, and replacing it with Oppressive Force in my usual loadouts, I haven't been crashing as often (not at all with OF).

I have experienced 1-2 crashes in battle that seemed random, meaning seemed triggered by something other than what I was doing at the time (battle with Tiamat being one instance). This is over an entire weekend of play, so probably 24 hours total :) And in all of these recent crashes I was in a group. Never crashed solo.

How do you guys come up with the logs you've posted here?
    I'd like to provide / check my own, but am unsure which loggers or switches you've all activated.
  • kassabrekassabre Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    I am also getting random client crashes where the client itself hangs (can't move my character and no motion or ability to interact with screen... I can alt-tab to windows and windows is fine so only the Neverwinter client seems to be affected). The main time this seems to happen for me is when I'm doing demonic heroic encounters.

My system specs are as follows:
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    EVGA x99 FTW Motherboard
    Intel x99 5820k CPU
    Nvidia GTX 770 Video Card (Driver Version 359.00)
    16GB G-Skill DDR4 Ram 2400 MHz
    Corsair GT 240 SSD (SATA 3, 6 GB/s)
    Western Digital 1 TB Black HD (SATA 2, 3 GB/s)
  • fatstevefatsteve Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Just adding my name to the list of client freezing - most commonly in combat. Latest was demonic heroic
  • lithiumghost#3045 lithiumghost Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I am able to login to the arcgames client and the patcher, but when i hit the PLAY button, a few seconds after i get the Cryptic Application has crashed. ANyone know how to fix this? ive rebooted like 3 times and rebooted my router as well.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Login issue, i have no problem with double-clicking the names, but the game freezes, when i try logging to fast from one character to another.
    My "procedure", i wait for the dragon animation in the background to finish, and then i click on the name of the next character in line, wait again a few seconds, and then just double-click the name and login, and this works... most of the time.

Btw. the login freeze or the game freeze is not picked up from the Cryptic error report program, and it doesn't trigger a force verify either. Not sure if that information is of any help to the Devs...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    its not limited to neverwinter, even star trek online has similar posts

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1208511/constant-crashing
  • tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    @Zebular thanks for taking the time to take this thread and put some form of official stamp to it.

The thing I fear is looking at your post people are reporting crashes from every aspect of the game which could have existed prior to 11/24.

The main one I keep hearing about (and experiencing myself) is the Gameclient Not Responding after the 11/24 patch. I hate to see this thread turn into trying to fix 30 different seperate issues instead of the one that reared it's ugly head last Tues.

Facts I have aquired looking at all the seperate posts:
    Seeing reports from ATI/AMD and nVidia users so dont think it's video driver related.
    Gameclient.exe not reponding where the game actually HARD LOCKS (supplied many screenshots and others have as well, that exact one) Can happen in combat OR out just sitting idle in town.

This above all started 11/24.

Someone also made a very good point that not everyone comes to report to the forums so you get a fraction of the people experiencing the issues.

edited December 2015
    Just a thought, but how about removing all those loading or reloading event, promotions or whatever windows from the in game "home page", the calendar and the mission tracker for now?

Feels like all of this is getting way too much...
    Want to know why?
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    Since after my initial posting, the game periodically freezes during heavy combat in a Demonic HE. Happens to several characters so can't pin it on a skill. A few times when changing maps the Game Client would crash, all WoD involved. All this after last patch. :'(
    edited December 2015
    May be one of those new rings, or perhaps the healing proc. of the new shirt+pants is causing this?

I had a strange demon HE fight in DR today, at some point it felt like the game was slowing down and close to freezing, then it suddenly felt like fast forwarding a movie, and then it was running normal again...
    Post edited by regenerde on
    Want to know why?
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    Why are the threads about new crashes that only started happening since tuesday are being merged into a thread started in september?????? It obviously would have nothing to do with those crashes unless someone merged in some prior bad code...these crashes make it unplayable at times and it was fine after launch of underdark. before it was generally when moving between zones...now its happening just wherever and whenever...during HE's...just moving across the terrain not fighting...afk...etc
  • kikajmkikajm Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I wanted to add my freezing issues since the last post that listed the issues only covers a little of what I have experienced. First this started since the last patch and before then I maybe have frozen a total of 2-5 times ever.

I freeze in combat with no one around, some around, large amounts of people around. In char selection screen double clicking the name, char selecting screen on selecting the toon and clicking enter, switching maps, switching zones, standing still with other people around, standing still by myself, Running in a zone with people around, Running in a zone by myself. Toon with armor and weapon enchants and high graphics with their armor and toons with level 15 armor with no special graphics.

Things I have tried to hopefuly fix it: Selecting Directx9, All graphics set to the lowest possible, Shadows turned off, rolling back drivers, Only application running on the computer is never winter, Launching NW through Arch, Launching NW without Arch.

Again this only started happening after the last patch and before then I would never have issues.
    empalas said:

Why are the threads about new crashes that only started happening since tuesday are being merged into a thread started in september?????? It obviously would have nothing to do with those crashes unless someone merged in some prior bad code...these crashes make it unplayable at times and it was fine after launch of underdark. before it was generally when moving between zones...now its happening just wherever and whenever...during HE's...just moving across the terrain not fighting...afk...etc

I think it's because the original crashes in September are SO similar to the ones that started last week.. the bug was never fixed and now during a new patch it's affecting everyone. Since stongholds was released a select amount of people ran into a bug where if they started fighting any mobs during the game (even training dummies) the game would crash to desktop with the cryptic crash report open. And not being able to fight or kill any mobs the game is now unplayable.

I have done everything from downgrading to Win 7 from changing the hard drives. I KNOW it's something to do with the game itself now.

It's a certain animation or Vorpal graphic.. something in the code of the game is causing the crashes.

Nobody took notice of the original posts about the crashes to desktop.. now that it's effecting everyone someone will hopefully fix this issue now.
  • arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    I do get the occasional CTD but not specifically the GameClient.exe one. That bugger constantly rears its head when I try to play STO. I did wonder if the new AMD Crimson drivers were to blame, but NW plays well and the engine is is the same as STO's.
    Definitely not an Arc User.

rivodus07 said:

empalas said:

I think it's because the original crashes in September are SO similar to the ones that started last week.. the bug was never fixed and now during a new patch it's affecting everyone. Since stongholds was released a select amount of people ran into a bug where if they started fighting any mobs during the game (even training dummies) the game would crash to desktop with the cryptic crash report open. And not being able to fight or kill any mobs the game is now unplayable.

I have done everything from downgrading to Win 7 from changing the hard drives. I KNOW it's something to do with the game itself now.

It's a certain animation or Vorpal graphic.. something in the code of the game is causing the crashes.

Nobody took notice of the original posts about the crashes to desktop.. now that it's effecting everyone someone will hopefully fix this issue now.
    I was told by a GM that my Transcendent Vorpal weapon enchantment was the reason I cannot even log in on my Control Wizard (see my post above). They said they do not "have a tool" to remove it (and how that would be any kind of real solution is beyond me...they need to actually fix whatever it is they changed/added in the Tuesday 11/24 patch that started these issues).

As to what is causing the ever-more-frequent in-game crashes (which, btw, is also happening in Champions and Star Trek Online), that seems like a server-side issue. Being as many people with varied and sundry video cards are experiencing it, it's safe to say it ISN'T a graphics card issue. And since a lot of people rolled back to DX9 from DX11 (an option I could not even do btw...when I tried, it crashed before even getting into the game), and still end up back here reporting problems, it's also safe to say it isn't a DX issue.

This is a CRYPTIC issue and it requires immediate, focused attention. None of the Zen sales, AD changes or new content matters IF WE CAN'T EVEN PLAY THE GAME. Priorities, please.

The thing that gets me is that my windows 10 gaming laptop dose not have any crash issues until last week when the game started crashing maybe once every hour or so.

I'm not sure if it is the Vorpal causing the crash because I can play the game fine on my laptop and I have a trans vorpal equip at all times ....

This whole thing makes my head hurt!!
  • hcp316hcp316 Member Posts: 1 New User
    neverwinter has been freezing and crashing for me on: win7/8/10. a good portion of the time is while im in town and there are players spamming chat advertising websites. and i thought in ToS it mentions that you cant advertise or use 3rd party programs. this also happens on the xbox version of neverwinter.
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User
    So it looks like the patch today will offer some relief (http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9681873-patch-notes:-nw.55.20151123a.3)
    Stability and Performance

Certain combinations of weapons with visual effects, slotted with Enhancements with visual effects, no longer cause client locks or crashes
    Lets hope that this resolves the issue.
  • bapibasu#5690 bapibasu Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    hi there , in past few day i have that prob and still it's going.
    My PC was AMD FX6300 black edition 6Core , 8GB ram , and NVIDIA 610 with 2GB Vmemory. i know it's can run almost 90% of game in the shop have .
    i did experiment on this prob many time did lot of time formate the OS also . so it's 100% sure it's not the prob with windows 10 or 7,8 or any other OS.

honestly it's a Messing with Direct X and loading Structure on never winter . and it's come past 2 patch before i never face that. im keep crossing my finger and hoping they will fix this soon .

some ppl who want really play this game so badly like me . use this settings

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/neverwinter-graphics-and-performance-guide/print#

im not it's help u much but it's will crash also some time after but it's let u play .

• l3thin4thl3thin4th Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 198 Arc User
    I will try to describe what happened yesterday with my Guildleader.

We were doing HE in SH. He was with his SW, I was with my pally. Did 5 HE without a problem, while not being in a party (because every time we form one, he crashes).

Then he switched to CW and I switched to HR. He made a mistake and invited me to a party--> he crashed.

He switched to his HR too and started a demonic encounter (the nearest to the castle). I arrived a little later and as soon as I entered the dome-like region, he crashed (client unresponsive).
    He had to force verify and he switched to his TR to do quests in Ebon Downs.

Out of curiosity, I went to Ebon Downs too and and soon ad I arrived next to him, he crashed again. He said that he saw me switch stance and BOOM, client crash.

A little while later, we were both on the same instance of Dwarven Valley, he on the TR, me still on the HR. I tried to repeat everything I did before (changing stance, using powers) next to him and he was perfectly fine. We could not replicate the crash.
    In between, he always force verified the files after each crash.

Lethinath - DC

Fayn Fiddler - HR

Jean Fiddler - OP

Quinn Fiddler - TR

Tre'Davious Flynn - SW

Bogus Skullslicker - GF

Vanhankaupunginselk - CW

Alea - GWF

Noble Misfits

• mrsspireamrsspirea Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Oh just great, tried to log on after patch hoping it would fix my freeze. Well now i cant get in game, only to my char sheet and no further. At least this way i don't have to worry about freezing since i can't play the game. If this is the fix of freeze.....?
    I actually think i give up!
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I've been updating the other thread. For today's issues, please go there. Thanks.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • necronemesis#4427 necronemesis Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I was having a client crash issue as well on my win8.1 system with an nvidia gtx860m. I wasn't able to play at all. I would log in get in game on a charactor for 30 seconds and it would completely freeze my computer. I have an i7cpu 16gigs ram, and ssd's. I was able to resolve the issue to a point, and what I mean is I crash in a few zones during dragon encounters right after the cut scene. I fixed it to be able to play fairly stable in every other place/encounter by reverting to a graphics driver from march. Game runs great with the exception of those 2 zones and the dragon fights. Long story short, try running a driver from back when the game was running stable for you. Short term fix till Cryptic's dev team can find a proper fix.
  • mrsspireamrsspirea Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    kreatyve said:

I've been updating the other thread. For today's issues, please go there. Thanks.

Can you link it pls?