test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Astral Diamond Changes

Comments

• twoheadedpuigtwoheadedpuig Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    It's bewildering that actual players are supporting this change. Leadership is a legit method of farming that has been around since day 1. Anyone can invest into it if they truly want to put time into the game and F2P their way into some decent daily income. This lone method of F2P has become crucial to the population since every other source of earned income has been gradually removed from the game.

It takes months of honest commitment to level this profession to the point where it generates meaningful income. That seems fair. Commitment and boring, repetitive button clicking in an awful interface to make some AD. The core of the Leadership problem isn't about players printing AD. Again, it's that every other source of AD gain has been removed already and Leadership stands alone as the only way left to have a competitive income without relying on winning the lottery.

Back when dungeons dropped sellable loot, Leadership farming was viewed as merely supplemental income and completely unnecessary to those who took the time to farm a multitude of other options. This will be our problem after the change - the lack of any other option other than paying money for AD while the prices of everything continue to go up. Dungeons and heroic encounters now reward your time with coupons, at best, that can only be exchanged for bound, worthless HAMSTER instead of being able to sell anything for refined AD. That's the problem.

What this change really means for the people who play Neverwinter:
    • You are now married to your current gear. All class, item, and world "fixes" that render your build useless will take either real cash or months to repair. Anyone who has been around for a few mods has experienced the big "balancing" wave that crushes your class and you are expected to pay for the inevitable respec from their cash shop.

It's obvious their balancing priorities basically lay in moving BiS from one set of gear to another since a) none of their efforts have resulted in a stable environment between items and classes, and b) they wait until enough people are good and invested in gear (impending: Lostmauth) and enchants (fixed: Negation) before squashing any bugs or bringing them into line with other items resulting in impatient players paying cash to move to the better gear/class/path. Worse, we've been trained to believe that classes should take TURNS in being overly powerful or overly weak for long periods of time. Read: Paladin/Warlock.
    • Everyone is expected to eventually make only 24K-48K AD per day. Even with the barely improved dungeon, skirmish, and pvp pittance, you will not earn more than this just by playing outside of an occasional dragon egg, which you won't have time to farm for. You will simply earn less than before (much much less for leadership farmers) as has been the trend since the introduction of heroic encounters and bound black ice gloves. No, grinding with an alt won't mean much either. Hitting the 24K refine cap on two characters means having a stockpile of RAD on one toon because it will take all day to hit your cap on the other. If your main character has a healthy stock of RAD, it won't make sense to play it because you can only refine 24K a day.

Considering the 800 million AD paywall to fully upgrade your guild hall of peer pressure, how long will it take 150 active members to achieve this and only this? Once it becomes somewhat normal to have the guild boons, what happens to the players that don't have them? Be honest. Those of you feeding the coffer with guilds that have anything less than a full page of logged in and contributing members are kidding yourselves. Your guild will die or you'll just be overly weak without massive cash contributions and you'll be forced to swap guilds then all of your current efforts will be in vain. It has been designed this way from the start. Taking away our ability to generate AD just compounds the situation.
    • Despite what some people have been commenting on, prices will not go down in a meaningful way. Coalescent wards, preservation wards, and marks of potency are sold through the cash shop or Wonderous Bazaar. Enchantments and gear upgrades that require any of these items will remain very expensive. Scott has stated that "We will be watching what these AD changes do to the average player's holdings. Based off of that data we will be re-evaluating all of our AD pricing in the game." What is Scott saying here? Expect prices to stay this way for a very long time.

After this x2 RP event, my main character needs 3 Coalys, 90+ GMOP, and over 20 other purple marks to complete the upgrades I've made my gear ready for after the refining process. At 48K a day... it will never happen without paying cash. What that also means is that no new free player will have it in their power to ever catch up to me by "playing the game" unless they are willing to pay thousands of real dollars. This isn't good for me, you, or Cryptic. One gets the feeling that they will somehow monetarily benefit by killing off Neverwinter. All paying and non-paying customers should be outraged by the quoted lack of planning approach they are taking here. This is a "we don't really know, we're going to wait and see" tactic that only benefits them in the short run and us not at all.
    Capping the AD refine limit on your main character isn't terribly hard to do by playing (without leadership) in the system we already have right now. Nothing about this change is good for the playerbase - it's just another straight nerf to AD gain, effectively neutering the final free method of every player's ability to stay competitive within the current demands of the game.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    Obviously Cryptic doesn't care about feedback or they wouldn't already have this on preview and ready to go live next week. This thread is just a place to let people gnash their teeth but in the end impacts nothing. It's been this way for two years now. The only way to make your voice heard is to not spend your money on buying zen. Oh and don't forget to send your feedback to Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast about how Neverwinter is tarnishing their brand.
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    Because I'm int hat sort of mood I will point out that this could be considered as Crytpic listening to their player base. Whilst I was never in favour of the idea there have been calls from the community in the past to remove AD from leadership or leadership altogether.
  • givearandomnamegivearandomname Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    well the nice thing I been watching the spam bots all day and I learned that I can pay 10 bucks and convert that to 500000 ad or I can pay them 10 bucks and get 1 million hmmm wonder which is better choice pay the game who keeps making it harder for me to earn or pay the guys who have the diamonds I think I will pay the guys with diamonds being the game doesn't care about me anyway.
    Namin Soulburner
    NW-DHNVMMGVJ Dragons horde part one.
    http://youtu.be/0KbqTWeJqxc
  • sean9803sean9803 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    Kinda ruins my ability to move forward in the game. How am i supposed to spend my 60 mins a day both farming influence for the guild hall, ad for my chars AND campaign currencies to complete the campaigns? There is no way in hell casual players will survive this change, leaving only bots and people who can afford to spend a good amount of their time and money (things i don't have right now) into this game. I give it a month, but if this isn't fixed, i'm done.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    casual players who can play 1 hour at most will obviously have more trouble to equip their chars if they have more than 1, that's pretty obvious for most MMOs.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    sean9803 said:

Kinda ruins my ability to move forward in the game. How am i supposed to spend my 60 mins a day both farming influence for the guild hall, ad for my chars AND campaign currencies to complete the campaigns? There is no way in hell casual players will survive this change, leaving only bots and people who can afford to spend a good amount of their time and money (things i don't have right now) into this game. I give it a month, but if this isn't fixed, i'm done.

AD is now a time currency. There will be much less of it in the market and a % of "bot farms" will dissappear cause they were only just leadership farms with 0 effort in actual third party software. Now those farms will not exist and the influx to the economy of effortless AD will drop some, this will increase the value of an astral diamond and cause prices to lower as people will not want to face stiff fees for letting an auction go without purchase. Alot of people here are looking at a 2d image of a 3D variable. They refuse to apply basic economics to this equation and are comparing their would be gains to the current costs. Prices will drop, maybe not right away but they will. I know theres plenty of mad people who will refuse to believe this, but a large portion of the inflation was being caused by average Joe bobs leadership farm he built up over 2 years instead of a botter. Effortless AD was killing the game easily seen by the 5million AD backlog in the zax and the Multi million AD items. People need to google economics or something and stop panicking without looking at it in depth.

I also believe Cryptic needs to change the AD sinks as well. The coffers for swapping artifacts, prices for stuff in WB, prices for campaign stuff, and the drop rate on AD vouchers in stronghold to name a few. Oh and also companion upgrades and speed finishing tasks.
  • kermenckermenc Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I am a solo player and have a few toons in leadership just to make AD because EVERYTHING is so EXPENSIVE on AH I have been playing for a year and I only use them to make AD each day I make 12K per I really dont think that is unreasonable for my TIME. I have been trying to get my stronghold going and so far I have made one lumber yard. I very much liked that I could go and do what I liked in my own time. Knowing that I could at least make AD to purchase what I might need if issues arise through game play. Such as known issues with kicks, game changes, very rude players, lag, client crashes, etc etc. Yet I have still supported the game by purchasing Zen. I have managed to still enjoy the game and work around things to support my gamestyle. Now with the AD removed and VIP and other changes will cause people to leave the game forever after all of the time and effort put in. This was a fun game and no longer will be. I hope these comments reach somebody because many left when Mod 6 launched.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    WRONG! Bots will not vanish. Bots will still bot, this will DO NOTHING to stop or even really curb botting. Leadership is a very minor thing to bots because bots DONT EXIST LONG ENOUGH on average to even get to 20, much less 25, leadership. The vast minority ever get that far before being banned. Bots run content and they do leadership on the side. Again, this isn't about bots, it's about making us buy zen. Bots have nothing to do with this.
  • rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Also note. I do not give you any suggestions or solutions because the underlying fact is, all solutions/suggestions cut into the actual other half of the problem, your decreasing revenue (from this platform). We could give you a million alternatives, but it wont make a difference or it's probably too late, you did not act quickly and appropriately enough earlier in the games life cycle.

We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • twoheadedpuigtwoheadedpuig Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    kitkathd said:

this will increase the value of an astral diamond and cause prices to lower as people will not want to face stiff fees for letting an auction go without purchase.
    I also believe Cryptic needs to change the AD sinks as well. The coffers for swapping artifacts, prices for stuff in WB, prices for campaign stuff, and the drop rate on AD vouchers in stronghold to name a few. Oh and also companion upgrades and speed finishing tasks.

Without the last part of your post about the sinks becoming reality, the first part about prices lowering is impossible to become true as the costs inherent in creating items are fixed. Many people already sell items below the cost of manufacturing. The prices can't be relied on to go lower than they already are right now.

Sure, lockbox items may drop in price, especially since VIPers get a free key a day, but those luxury items are rarely deemed necessary to gearing a basic toon.

It's more accurate to just tell the poor guy "you will just make less, deal with it".
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User

Because I'm int hat sort of mood I will point out that this could be considered as Crytpic listening to their player base. Whilst I was never in favour of the idea there have been calls from the community in the past to remove AD from leadership or leadership altogether.

Sure. A small minority that I have seen have been asking for that. Hardly what I'd consider them listening to their player base.

• melodicahmelodicah Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    I've played this game off and on for a couple of years. I don't have a leadership army (my highest in leadership is only level 13) so I'm not biased because I don't earn a lot of AD from it.

That being said, these changes are HORRIBLE. Now I'm being forced to play content that I don't want to play to get currency that's REQUIRED for upgrades. And did they forget that 60-69 can't even do skirmishes because of another one of their needless changes? So until I hit 70 (an awful grind in and of itself), one method of earning diamonds isn't even available to me. I'm stuck with dungeons, which are boring because there are so few now and PvP, which I absolutely detest.

I don't believe these changes are even going to stop the bots, but then again I don't think that's why they are doing this. It's obviously got to do with money. Less diamonds means more people might pony up real dough to get what they need. I've spent a bit of money on the game myself, but this move ensures that I will not spend anymore - if I even continue playing.

Badly done all around.
  • psistarprimepsistarprime Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    This should have been done long ago, before a large percentage of the player base became invested in creating Leadership alts. Two years of leadership AD farming established the practice as not only acceptable, but encouraged by the Devs (especially considering Community Moderator participation in promoting it) and a sense of being mandatory by the players. This is why we, the players, feel betrayed right now.

We need constant routine feedback from the Devs on this in order to reassure the community that this is being very careful and "on the ball" with updating the Wondrous Bizarre and other AD sinks that will shortly become insurmountable to the average player. The players will leave if they perceive the GMoPs as requiring 1 week of running the same dungeon 24/7. Forget about anyone progressing their Strongholds.

Some changes would be extremely useful to reassuring the player base.
    1. A rapid reassessment of AD sinks. I suspect that the Devs have a specific AD threshold in mind before doing this, but the players need to see a light at end of the tunnel rather than a road out of service sign.

2. Reducing the cost in materials for refinement (ie no more 5x GMoP + x# of equally leveled enchants + x# additional Greater Marks)

3. A total rework of many professions, not just Leadership. (Currently the only useful professions are Alchemy, Jewelcrafting, Black Ice, and the armor skills, and their level 25 buffs all have 100k AD sinks built in. Weaponsmithing and Artificing are completely useless and Leadership is getting hammered into the ground) Adding RP, possibly BtA, to all professions would be something to consider. Craftable transmutes would also be well received. Redirecting Leadership rewards to SH materials seems like a no brainer.

4. Bring back all the closed dungeons. The dungeons currently available are so limited that grinding them for AD is just mind numbing. Why not place RP, wards, and greater marks as the chest & boss rewards instead of a brand new 145 gear? This would limit power creep and expand player options. I seriously doubt Bots will be able to grind a buffed up Castle Never any time soon.

5. A total reassessment of the SH currency requirements and HE rewards. Why expect players to sacrifice potential AD earning time as well as millions of RP and refined AD?

6. Bring the Foundry back online with actual rewards for mission completion. (again BtA RP, wards, marks and transmutes would limit bots and reward players while providing OPTIONS)

7. Create AD rewards for solo players, immediately. Dungeons/PvP/Skirmishes do not draw casual players.

8. Change all BoP items to BoA. This will keep our alts viable and address the AD to alt concerns.
    edited September 2015
    this hasn't even went live and its already effecting the game

4.7 million worth of zen orders disappeared of the zax today isn't anyone even offering to buy zen at 500 anymore lol but they will never admit this is the reason there going to feed us some lie about the double rp event cleared out the backlog story

on another note if they want to make ad a time based currency then they need to put it were most casuals play like in the campiaign dailes I spend 90% of my time doing those why not make each one reward like 1000 ad this is like it is in sto episodes reward dilthium
    Namin Soulburner
  • blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User

4.7 million worth of zen orders disappeared of the zax today isn't anyone even offering to buy zen at 500 anymore lol but they will never admit this is the reason there going to feed us some lie about the double rp event cleared out the backlog story

on another note if they want to make ad a time based currency then they need to put it were most casuals play like in the campiaign dailes I spend 90% of my time doing those why not make each one reward like 1000 ad this is like it is in sto episodes reward dilthium

Blacklog shrink happens every double refinement event. This is the main reason for this vent IMO
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
  • methuselasmethuselas Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    @clonkyo1

This game hasn't been "Free 2 Play" since Mod 2. Once Dread Ring came out, the power creep came in and it became a race. I knew, as soon as Sharandar came out (and you people have it EASY now), the "grind fest" was upon us and what they were intending.

What pisses me off the most, is Tyranny of Dragons. When "Artifact Equipment" came around, that was the last time I blew money on the game. I wasted TONS of cash in the span of a month, buying HAMSTER to feed to a toon, they wholly nerfed, during "Rise of Tiamat" for their precious Oathbound Paladin. So, I switched to my TR alt.

And had to do the same HAMSTER over again.

Then, they decided we were "too powerful" (and who's fault was that, exactly?), so they went and nerfed all our gear and the HAMSTER started all over again. VIP is a "subscription." Call it whatever you want, but it's a subscription. PWE is a shady company. Pure and simple. I pity Cryptic for being under their umbrella. Atari never should have sold them. At least then, we KNEW it was pay 2 play.

So, no, "Perfect World", you're not getting another HAMSTER DIME from me and I don't give a HAMSTER if the mods delete this post.
  • unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    I liquidated my Zens because I expect a crash on the market, like Scott said, the goal is to "fix" the economy ... since I don't see how this does anything to adjust the prices of rank 4s (except down as the bots likely become more focused on the enchants).

The removal of ADs from leadership seems to be precision targeted on moving the ZAX.

Lower AD:Zen rates could be very positive for the bots, re-sellers, and AD holders ... but seems like it would not help anyone who is transferring Zens into the game ... I do not understand how the market "fix" makes transferring Zens more appealing.

Blacklog shrink happens every double refinement event. This is the main reason for this vent IMO
    this has nothing to do with the event people pulled there zen expecting things to change 4.6 million zen doesn't get filled in few hours event or no event clicking the cancel button does tho and everyone has done that I know I canceled all my orders
    Namin Soulburner
  • brisedabriseda Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    First, know that everything we say here is a circle jerk for our eyes only. No one who matters ever bothers to listen to a single community suggestion of any magnitude. That disclaimer aside, when my friends quit NW to play Final Fantasy, I didnt go because I didnt want to play another group grinder. Do X dungeon X times to get a token for gear requiring 100K tokens... bleh. I preferred praying to RNGeesus. Run the dungeon, maybe get the gear, at least get something good, roll on it, go herm happy. But now, its heading south. Instead of doing unique tasks in a variety of locations, you want me to run boring, cookie cutter dungeons and skirmishes. You took the teeth out of everything that made this game unique and entertaining. Foundry? Useless. Gateway? Broken. PVP? Lackluster and repetitive and likely to stay that way. Are the bots going to be annoyed with this change? For a minute, then they will just make a bot that runs dungeons, skirmishes and PVP. Oh wait... they do that already. Soooo this punishes those TOS abiding netizens that pay you to rust in the northwest rainshine. Bravo.

TLDR - Bots don't enjoy unique content, so make more of that and stop the downhill grind before it picks up more speed.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    They could make a big daily quest that consisted of smaller random quests like doing x dungeon, x skirmish, x foundry quest, x profession activity, collect x node in x map and x sh quest ( for example 3 of that list and keep changing them everyday.) And have it reward a solid 30k ad but only once per account.
    That way we dont have the make the same quests everyday and it keeps things more varied.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • danklocdankloc Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    But nothin really happend if they give possibility to buy lvl 60 equipment for 20 silver on woundrous bazar and slavage this for 1000 RAD. Check testing server.
  • unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Explain better how this is intended to hurt bots!
    Leadership literally takes months to level (level 23 after 220 days ... that's maybe 10 months for rank 25).

Is the argument that Cryptic can not reasonably identify suspected bot accounts within several months of account activity? If the bots are so simple as to log into leadership each day, aren't there already mechanisms in place to address those accounts.

I certainly do not feel it is easy to gear a single character even with current ADs from leadership!
    New artifact weapons again!? Seriously!?

What do I tell a new player ... "well, once you get to level 70, if there's enough people with BiS gear online in the guild and they'll run with you, then you can get maybe 20k-30k rAD a day, and in about 5-10 years you too can have BiS gear! ... or if you don't want to wait several years, maybe just pay a few thousand dollars for it! ... but buyer beware, it may be obsolete in the next 'update!'"

Leadership is not a panacea, even after explaining how the grind works, and that after a "long leadership grind" you will see, it is really F2P it just takes about a year, then you're set ... yeah, they *still* will not stay in the game :/

Now what?
    Post edited by unabletodisplay on
This discussion has been closed.