test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unplayable Network Lag

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015

No updates since yesterday at 620pm. This morning I played fine for a few hours and it is back to lag, but there is still no update for today as to the status of this problem from anyone. Is it still going to be lagging next week when the new content drops? Or will it be ok today? When will it end? At least an estimated time is better then nothing.

The last update there remains current. We cannot do anything about it until Cogencto fixes the issue themselves, for this is not a Server issue. It is an issue with users who have ISPs that route through Cogentco's Network in the Boston area to get to our game Servers, which are also in Boston. We cannot give an ETA until we hear back from Cogentco.

Some folks have stated that using the EU proxy helps them, as well as others stated that setting up their VPN helps their connection, as well as others stated switching to one of their other ISPs allows them to connect. Alas, these aren't helpful work-arounds for the average user.

• Options
    jadeddarkeangeljadeddarkeangel Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    zebular said:

No updates since yesterday at 620pm. This morning I played fine for a few hours and it is back to lag, but there is still no update for today as to the status of this problem from anyone. Is it still going to be lagging next week when the new content drops? Or will it be ok today? When will it end? At least an estimated time is better then nothing.

The last update there remains current. We cannot do anything about it until Cogencto fixes the issue themselves, for this is not a Server issue. It is an issue with users who have ISPs that route through Cogentco's Network in the Boston area to get to our game Servers, which are also in Boston. We cannot give an ETA until we hear back from Cogentco.

Some folks have stated that using the EU proxy helps them, as well as others stated that setting up their VPN helps their connection, as well as others stated switching to one of their other ISPs allows them to connect. Alas, these aren't helpful work-arounds for the average user.

I am on the xbox1 how do I go through EU proxy server on there? I have opened 10 ports including the arc port, I also put myself on DMZ. I do not have another ISP provider in my area because Comcast has a monopoly, but I am still looking today for something else to use. Is there a way for us to contact Cogentco so they know that it is affecting actual people and not just your business? Plus you did not ever answer my question about compensation for missing out on events this weekend?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015

zebular said:

I am on the xbox1 how do I go through EU proxy server on there? I have opened 10 ports including the arc port, I also put myself on DMZ. I do not have another ISP provider in my area because Comcast has a monopoly, but I am still looking today for something else to use. Is there a way for us to contact Cogentco so they know that it is affecting actual people and not just your business? Plus you did not ever answer my question about compensation for missing out on events this weekend?
    I do not think you can change to an EU proxy, as changing your location in XBOX would probably mess things up for more than just Neverwinter.

I did comment on the compensation in a previous reply: "However I do not see them compensating folks for this, especially when the issue is not under their control. As I said before though, I will continue to suggest such to them."

As I said there, I will continue to express how many users feel some sort of compensation should be granted. As for contacting Cogentco, they are a Bandwidth Provider, so complaining to your ISP is a start, as it is ISPs that contract to companies like Cogentco. I'll see if there's others ways to contact Cogentco though.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Is there a way for us to contact Cogentco so they know that it is affecting actual people and not just your business? Plus you did not ever answer my question about compensation for missing out on events this weekend?

I inquired on other ways for users to complain directly to Cogencto. In addition to complaining to your ISP, one can contact Cogencto directly through their Support features:
    Cogentco Website: http://www.cogentco.com/
    Cogencto Support Info: http://www.cogentco.com/en/customer-service/support-desk
  • Options
    theodale169theodale169 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I went to a Starbucks so I could get my VIP key, invoke and start some leadership tasks... same SNR hell. Did a tracert and I am going through Cogentco from here too. On an interesting side note, this is one of the Starbucks which has the fast Google sponsored WiFi. I doubt they are using Comcast. I am going to try another coffee shop later today.
  • Options
    nps8nps8 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User

I went to a Starbucks so I could get my VIP key, invoke and start some leadership tasks... same SNR hell. Did a tracert and I am going through Cogentco from here too. On an interesting side note, this is one of the Starbucks which has the fast Google sponsored WiFi. I doubt they are using Comcast. I am going to try another coffee shop later today.

Could you please tell me what ip address you put into tracert? I have tried looking it up on google but haven't found it. Thank you.

• Options
    shanefrazier93shanefrazier93 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    So I called Cogentco, on that number that was given. Here is a summary of my call:

Me: Yes, hello. I'm a customer playing a Perfect World Entertainment game, Neverwinter Online, and many of us have been having connection issues due to a problem with Cogentco. Do you know anything about this?

Representative: Do they have a ticket number?

Me: None was given.

Representative: (In a rude/condescending voice) Then I can't help you. If they had a ticket open, they would have a ticket number. Otherwise I can't pull up any information for you.

Zebular, could you perhaps give us the ticket number, so these jackwagons can't give us the run-around? Their customer service is atrocious! No wonder you haven't heard back from them.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    nps8 said:

Could you please tell me what ip address you put into tracert? I have tried looking it up on google but haven't found it. Thank you.

The first post on this thread talks about how to use trace route and the URL that PW recommends testing with.
    http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/483437/pro-tips-on-diagnosing-lag-and-rubberbanding/p1
  • Options
    tjolsonmcsetjolsonmcse Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    > @shanefrazier93 said:
    > So I called Cogentco, on that number that was given. Here is a summary of my call:
    >
    > Me: Yes, hello. I'm a customer playing a Perfect World Entertainment game, Neverwinter Online, and many of us have been having connection issues due to a problem with Cogentco. Do you know anything about this?
    >
    > Representative: Do they have a ticket number?
    >
    > Me: None was given.
    >
    > Representative: (In a rude/condescending voice) Then I can't help you. If they had a ticket open, they would have a ticket number. Otherwise I can't pull up any information for you.
    >
    > Zebular, could you perhaps give us the ticket number, so these jackwagons can't give us the run-around? Their customer service is atrocious! No wonder you haven't heard back from them.

I used to work for a backbone company (used to be Exodus, now Savvis) and we never worked on issues raised by the customers of our customers. This is going to have to be raised by Arc and/or Perfect World through their ISP.
  • Options

Starbucks uses Comcast Business as an ISP...
  • Options
    nps8nps8 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User

nps8 said:

The first post on this thread talks about how to use trace route and the URL that PW recommends testing with.
    http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/483437/pro-tips-on-diagnosing-lag-and-rubberbanding/p1
    Thank you very much! I guess I should have read all the posts before asking. Thanks again.

• Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Although this is a Cogent issue, we tried to do as much as we could on our side, but it looks like the issue still hasn't been fixed? We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited August 2015

Although this is a Cogent issue, we tried to do as much as we could on our side, but it looks like the issue still hasn't been fixed? We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Fix the memory leak in the mission tracker and maybe we'll forgive you....maybe. And no, its still not fixed. Could you add a EU proxy option for the gateway also I can't play the web game on my ipad either when away from the computer.
  • Options
    shaiffishaiffi Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

I do not think you can change to an EU proxy, as changing your location in XBOX would probably mess things up for more than just Neverwinter.

I did comment on the compensation in a previous reply: "However I do not see them compensating folks for this, especially when the issue is not under their control. As I said before though, I will continue to suggest such to them."

As I said there, I will continue to express how many users feel some sort of compensation should be granted. As for contacting Cogentco, they are a Bandwidth Provider, so complaining to your ISP is a start, as it is ISPs that contract to companies like Cogentco. I'll see if there's others ways to contact Cogentco though.
    I paid for Zen for a VIP status which is a timed purchase I can not access now and losing keys. Bottom line, if i paid for something I can't use and I don't get compensated for what I paid for, why would I ever trust or pay for anything again thru your company? And I will be VERY voical insuring others know that buying the VIP is a risk and not to do it.
  • Options
    kitkathdkitkathd Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    Even at its worse I was able to log in and claim my keys, it was profession management and invoking that was impossible if the toons were not camped out at the altar/campfire or had a portable altar on them. If anything give everyone a free claim altar so they don't move to trigger the warping during the disconnects.
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    Back to normal toady for me (in Michigan) I hope that is a good sign if you are still ahving issues, Guildie in PA is still having issues :(
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    We've tried even more things. Is this still happening?

• Options
    eviljezuzzeviljezuzz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Update: Maybe you guys are doing something right lately. Tracert showing relatively decent numbers with few timeouts. Launcher is firing up quickly. We will see what happens tomorrow at 1pm EST that is when my connection fails like clockwork.
  • Options
    jadeddarkeangeljadeddarkeangel Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Everything seems to be ok for right now, my tracers also look good with no drops. But I usually have problems on the xbox1 late at night around 12am and then again around 1pm in the afternoon. So we will see later tonight what happens. I hope it stays fixed now that you have announced a race to level 70 with giveaways for winners, because it really would not be fair for us Comcast customers who lag to not be able to have a fair chance at the companion!
  • Options
    sifudragonussifudragonus Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    Fixed for now here in Utah.
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Not sure what you did, but it seems to have gone away here in North Florida.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    plutoniumoreplutoniumore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I was able to play without issue tonight between the times of 6:30 pm and 10:00 pm from Illinois.
  • Options
    tjolsonmcsetjolsonmcse Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Played for 4 hours without any signs of lag.
  • Options
    purplppleterpurplppleter Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Played about 6hrs last night, only a few disconnects
  • Options
    plutoniumoreplutoniumore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    No Updates?
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    So, first of the month, lag is almost gone? I can't test until i get home.
    Was this all due to Cogent throttling?
    Post edited by jrfbrunet on
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    jrfbrunetjrfbrunet Member Posts: 388 Arc User

We've tried even more things. Is this still happening?

As much as we could first, then tried more things. Lol - I sense a logic problem here.

Speaking of trying things, has Anyone in your dept ever tried "strongly suggesting" to PWE to change ISPs?
    Where'd my blinky-blinky path go?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I've been able to connect just fine since late last night, South West Florida, Comcast. Many thanks to the IT guys and gals for working extra on this. Hopefully something can/is done to prevent this from happening again by Cogent.
  • Options
    Not a logic problem. Sometimes you end up thinking you've tried everything, but end up thinking of different ways to do something. Happens to the best of us.

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I don't understand how there are sides. There is a service and there is a customer only. 2 sides. cognizant provides under the umbrella of customer which is owned by PWE. Who PWE decided to employ to assist in delivering a service should be invisible to the customer. If the paint on your eyeglasses start to peal do you blame Luxottica, no you blame the company who licensed the glasses.

If PWE didn't want that relationship and accountability they would make single player games.
This discussion has been closed.