test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unplayable Network Lag

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    phrank224 said:

> @zebular said:

> Even if switching providers was an option, that wouldn't necessarily fix anything. Such could make it even worse. As well, it doesn't matter what provider one uses, users will still be going through networks such as Cogent, Comcast, AT&T, etc, etc. That's how the internet works. The internet is not a straight line and you don't stay on "your" network connecting around the World. The whole "Net Neutrality" movement enlightened and taught a lot of users how the internet works and these sorts of issues just continue to do that, which is a good thing even if it is horrible to experience.

>

> The more people to learn, understand, and experience how the internet works means that the future will hopefully be a better place as such experiences drive our youth to imagine and create a better world. Alas, right now we are subject to a fickle internet ruled by a monopoly of agencies and corporations. Eeks, sounds like I may need to invest in some tin foil, sorry for that rant!

Well this is partly true... Most the datacenters I work with have no less than 3 ISPs and redundant hot and cold sites for exactly this type of issue. Your head node should always be dynamic so in the case of a bad external network route, or ISP outage, you can redirect your users to a working node.

Failover and redundancy are #1 anytime you are hosting systems. My clients would kill me if I bound them to a single ISP and had a connection mess like this. Even simple DNS redirection to a different circuit would be better than what has happened. Yes DNS takes time to propagate, but with a short TTL, it probably would have been up sooner than what we are seeing now. Many applications even test multiple routes for the fastest and more reliable route before establishing a connection.

I don't mean to directly disagree, but there are more facts than what had been posted.

Additionally, Cogent has always been the low cost provider who has had to beg, borrow and steal in the past to get carrier agreements. I know that has changed recently, but for my clients with Cogent, I always recommend a more reliable backup circuit.

Yes, your information is good and all but is not really relevant to the issue at hand. While yes a good number of people are being affected, the truth is that most players are connecting without issue. It is only those being hopped through that one Cogentco network that are being affected. Alas, I do not have a work-around but if you know of a way to not get hopped through the failing Cogentco network, you should try it.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    zebular said:

Even if switching providers was an option, that wouldn't necessarily fix anything. Such could make it even worse. As well, it doesn't matter what provider one uses, users will still be going through networks such as Cogent, Comcast, AT&T, etc, etc. That's how the internet works. The internet is not a straight line and you don't stay on "your" network connecting around the World. The whole "Net Neutrality" movement enlightened and taught a lot of users how the internet works and these sorts of issues just continue to do that, which is a good thing even if it is horrible to experience.

The more people to learn, understand, and experience how the internet works means that the future will hopefully be a better place as such experiences drive our youth to imagine and create a better world. Alas, right now we are subject to a fickle internet ruled by a monopoly of agencies and corporations. Eeks, sounds like I may need to invest in some tin foil, sorry for that rant!

There are flaws to your argument

1) Mature IT environments negotiate SLA's and associated fees for guaranteed network up time. If this wasn't done it would be a case of unskilled negotiators or cost cutting by management (acceptance of risk).
    2) Mature IT environments do use redundant communication channels (lessons learned from the legendary wires cut by a backhoe outages). Switch to the other channel. The channel should take different paths and be managed by different ISPs.
    3) Mature organizations have DRP/BCPs to cover events like this. Open the plan, execute, simple. If there isn't a plan the organization needs new management, if there is a plan and it failed, it needs new IT staff. If the plans are that the customer can suck it... well the message is clear

Check ISO 22301
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    Was able to play for a few minutes, but now I'm back to constant SNR.

1. Start combat.
    2. SNR immediately appears.
    3. Two minutes later, when the server responds, I'm dead.
    4. Go to step 1.

At this point, I don't care who is at fault -- I simply want it fixed. If it's on Cryptic's end then they need to get on the ball. If it's not on Cryptic's end, then the Cryptic folks need to be on the phone RAISING HELL.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2015
    putzboy78 said:

zebular said:

Even if switching providers was an option, that wouldn't necessarily fix anything. Such could make it even worse. As well, it doesn't matter what provider one uses, users will still be going through networks such as Cogent, Comcast, AT&T, etc, etc. That's how the internet works. The internet is not a straight line and you don't stay on "your" network connecting around the World. The whole "Net Neutrality" movement enlightened and taught a lot of users how the internet works and these sorts of issues just continue to do that, which is a good thing even if it is horrible to experience.

The more people to learn, understand, and experience how the internet works means that the future will hopefully be a better place as such experiences drive our youth to imagine and create a better world. Alas, right now we are subject to a fickle internet ruled by a monopoly of agencies and corporations. Eeks, sounds like I may need to invest in some tin foil, sorry for that rant!

1) Mature IT environments negotiate SLA's and associated fees for guaranteed network up time. If this wasn't done it would be a case of unskilled negotiators or cost cutting by management (acceptance of risk).
    2) Mature IT environments do use redundant communication channels (lessons learned from the legendary wires cut by a backhoe outages). Switch to the other channel. The channel should take different paths and be managed by different ISPs.
    3) Mature organizations have DRP/BCPs to cover events like this. Open the plan, execute, simple. If there isn't a plan the organization needs new management, if there is a plan and it failed, it needs new IT staff. If the plans are that the customer can suck it... well the message is clear

Check ISO 22301
    Not to make light of the issue, as it is real and even affecting some Staff, yet I'm not really sure how relevant this is though since the majority of players are connecting just fine. It is only those who are getting hopped through that one Cogentco network that are being affected. I'm no expert but to me that is a sign that some ISP isn't propagating DNS correctly or adequately.
  • Options
    eviljezuzzeviljezuzz Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

Was able to play for a few minutes, but now I'm back to constant SNR.

1. Start combat.
    2. SNR immediately appears.
    3. Two minutes later, when the server responds, I'm dead.
    4. Go to step 1.

Story of my life

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    putzboy78 said:

zebular said:

Check ISO 22301
    That reminds me of something we often see with respect to FAA certification of airborne software: MVDS: multiple-version dissimilar software. The idea is to have two or more redundant software components that perform the same task, written by different providers and with a different code pedigree. That way, not only can you switch to the other component if one experiences a fault while in-flight, the fact that they have different origins makes it less likely that a fault in one will manifest itself in the other.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    cmedeircmedeir Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Soooooo close to finishing the event ... now this. Can't connect in any kind of meaningful way. I am very disappointed.
  • Options
    kominatchakominatcha Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2015

At least most poster's are finally realizing the fault here is Comcast. Fastest ISP? How about worse run Company in the Country more like it. I used to live in a city where I could switch between fiber and Comcast and did it every time that I had an issue. Only then did I start getting calls from management level employees at Comcast to determine "what they could do to retain my business". Instead of posting tracerout's and wasting energy here maybe you should google alternate ISP in your area, call them, and switch. It is the only way Comcast even pays attention. They don't even have a real complaints department as far as I can tell.

Not all of us have the luxury of fiber runs, Copper coax or att dsl runs are all tat is available unless I want wireless at x2 the cost. Comcast is the monopoly in parts.
    Actually the city I live in now does not have the fiber option. However, I found several other ISP's. I am pretty sure anyone can find this. I am switching to a local dsl provider asap. They have provide 25Mb/s for what Comcast charges without needing to add unnecessary cable tv. My advice is to google what is available in your area, that's all. If you switch from Comcast and go back to them they usually give you better pricing anyhow. They only premium price their faithful customer base which to me is bad business. And, like I said, they eventually start paying attention to the customer who does this since they have a retention service department devoted to this. As was the case in the previous city I lived you might get lucky enough to get a call from the local management which you will never get through to by calling them.

• Options
    plutoniumoreplutoniumore Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2015

At least most poster's are finally realizing the fault here is Comcast. Fastest ISP? How about worse run Company in the Country more like it. I used to live in a city where I could switch between fiber and Comcast and did it every time that I had an issue. Only then did I start getting calls from management level employees at Comcast to determine "what they could do to retain my business". Instead of posting tracerout's and wasting energy here maybe you should google alternate ISP in your area, call them, and switch. It is the only way Comcast even pays attention. They don't even have a real complaints department as far as I can tell.

Not all of us have the luxury of fiber runs, Copper coax or att dsl runs are all tat is available unless I want wireless at x2 the cost. Comcast is the monopoly in parts.
    Actually the city I live in now does not have the fiber option. However, I found several other ISP's. I am pretty sure anyone can find this. I am switching to a local dsl provider asap. They have provide 25Mb/s for what Comcast charges without needing to add unnecessary cable tv. My advice is to google what is available in your area, that's all. If you switch from Comcast and go back to them they usually give you better pricing anyhow. They only premium price their faithful customer base which to me is bad business. And, like I said, they eventually start paying attention to the customer who does this since they have a retention service department devoted to this. As was the case in the previous city I lived you might get lucky enough to get a call from the local management which you will never get through to by calling them.

You're assuming I haven't done this. No options, i said what was available in my area, thanks for the attempt.
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    zebular said:

While yes a good number of people are being affected, the truth is that most players are connecting without issue. It is only those being hopped through that one Cogentco network that are being affected. Alas, I do not have a work-around but if you know of a way to not get hopped through the failing Cogentco network, you should try it.

Well, for those of us affected, it is a serious problem.
    Really .. I don't know how many, but if there are a "good number" then, it should be important. Thanks.

As far as a work around, VPN through California is a huge improvement.

Since I care about my network connectivity, I do have a backup plan (VPN) to mitigate this type of disruption.

• Options
    edited August 2015

zebular said:

While yes a good number of people are being affected, the truth is that most players are connecting without issue. It is only those being hopped through that one Cogentco network that are being affected. Alas, I do not have a work-around but if you know of a way to not get hopped through the failing Cogentco network, you should try it.

Really .. I don't know how many, but if there are a "good number" then, it should be important. Thanks.
    I never said it wasn't serious or not important. On the contrary, seeing our IT department work extra on the weekend to even find this issue should be an indicator that this issue is indeed important to us.

• Options
    cblackthekidcblackthekid Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    2 days later still can't seem to do anything but float around protectors enclave. destiny working fine though , and halo , and call of duty , and battlefield ...
  • Options
    ajcarp1ajcarp1 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

I never said it wasn't serious or not important. On the contrary, seeing our IT department work extra on the weekend to even find this issue should be an indicator that this issue is indeed important to us.

Zeb, even though it hasn't been resolved, it is good to hear that they have found a problem and are working on a solution. I do appreciate the efforts you are making to keep us informed, even if it's not the best news.

Hopefully, they will be able to work out a plan to mitigate, if not eliminate this problem from happening in the future.
  • Options
    gwalaplothgwalaploth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

Actually I would attribute that to the profit motive. I am guessing having a sizable portion of your player base unable to sign in over the weekend is going to have a noticeable impact on the cash flow, so it would be more that the lack of our money gracing your coffers is important to you.
  • Options
    unabletodisplayunabletodisplay Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 61 Arc User
    Thanks Zebular, good to see it is a serious issue for the IT team!
    Thank you for posting the updates even when there may not be much new information.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

zebular said:

zebular said:

Actually I would attribute that to the profit motive. I am guessing having a sizable portion of your player base unable to sign in over the weekend is going to have a noticeable impact on the cash flow, so it would be more that the lack of our money gracing your coffers is important to you.
    Heh, I have plenty of tin foil to share. I love conspiracy theories! You should see me geek out to Ancient Aliens! (Ambi is always the voice of reason when I bring the show up, hah!)

In any case and all joking aside, regardless of the reasons, it is an important issue to get resolved. No need to argue why.

• Options
    cblackthekidcblackthekid Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    smite is working fine too
  • Options
    karlrichekarlriche Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Any word on if there is going to be any added time to the STO crystalline entity event? I have missed the last couple of days thanks to not being able to log in, and now I am going to have to head out to my mothers funeral so I wont be able to log in for the next couple days most likely. another couple days would make the difference for me.
  • Options
    zevra22zevra22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 57 Arc User
    I am quite disappointed to lose game time on the weekend. California is Comcast land and I would imagine most players in this state have been experiencing what I have been experiencing; nearly impossible to log in and when in impossible to actually do anything. I am beginning to regret investing time and money in a game that is so fragile. Hopefully this matter will be resolved by the time I get up and going tomorrow AM. I do appreciate your responding and I understand that as the forum moderator there is little you can do but keep us informed. I am a software engineer who does web development and database back ends, so I have a clue. Here is hoping this is resolved soon and this does not recur.
  • Options
    sk8rboi420hdxxsk8rboi420hdxx Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

zebular said:

Heh, I have plenty of tin foil to share. I love conspiracy theories! You should see me geek out to Ancient Aliens! (Ambi is always the voice of reason when I bring the show up, hah!)

In any case and all joking aside, regardless of the reasons, it is an important issue to get resolved. No need to argue why.

I have two things I feel the need to address here. The first being the man isn't a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory nut for thinking like joking or not it wasn't funny. The second being that I want to know how we are being compensated for this weather it be another x2 AD weekend, x day extend on VIP (for those of us that could not claim rewards) or some other means.
  • Options
    gwalaplothgwalaploth Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

zebular said:

How to insult a customer. You know damn well this is a business and all businesses are driven by the profit motive. If you worked for me you would be fired right now but lets just say it is about what I expect from Cryptic by way of customer service.
  • Options
    zevra22zevra22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 57 Arc User
    BTW, when I click the forums link on the launcher page I get a no page found 404 (http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums#/Default404)
  • Options
    edited August 2015

zebular said:

zebular said:

zebular said:

How to insult a customer. You know damn well this is a business and all businesses are driven by the profit motive. If you worked for me you would be fired right now but lets just say it is about what I expect from Cryptic by way of customer service.
    Yikes! Sorry, I thought I was making fun of myself if anyone. If ya want me to be serious though, then yes what you said about money being a factor is true, for this is a business afterall. I was just trying to make light of your comment and inject some humor because of this. No need to take it personal.

• Options
    uptondarkdiamonduptondarkdiamond Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 169 Arc User
    What worked for me, as I am a Comcast customer affected by this issue, is tethering my phone to my computer. Everything works great as long as my phone is my network connection. This is not a be all end all option for me as I do not have unlimited data but it does allow for Cntrl I's and crafting. For those of you out there with a phone that can be tethered this might be a good option. Hopefully this issue does get resolved soon.
  • Options
    catakillscatakills Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Look you can point fingers at the ISP or the toilet for all I care. The fact remains that the game has not worked all weekend for many customers. You have this big weekend with Double AD and no one can get on to play the event. You already lost a lot of customers with mod 6 and hoping to get them back with this stronghold add on might work, if you can fix your servers. In the end if you do not get this issue resolved once and for all, because this is not the first time this game has had this issue, you might start looking for another job as your customers go elsewhere.

On another note, since you guys always run on the cheep. Why in the world are you running servers in Boston of all places. They do not call it Taxachusetts as a joke, it one of the most expensive places in the US to live. I'm sure Sun Gard or QTS has much better places to house those servers. I would pick one next to a Telco station.
  • Options
    frosticheartfrosticheart Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    My last invoke / craft run of the day for eight chars
    - 79min
    - 3 oops report cryptic error disconnects
    - 7 re-enter your password screens
    - one 66 sec server not responding - many shorter ones
    - 2 total computer reboots in hope sit was my computer - not counted in 79min
    - at least 20 profane comments about cryptic and the internet

I don't care who is to blame either fix it or tell me how to fix this on my end.
  • Options
    cjh1983cjh1983 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 229 Arc User
    I can't connect at all right now to game/gateway - what's the deal, this looks like it's been going on for several days. How am I supposed to get my VIP keys if I can't get in game?
  • Options
    shanefrazier93shanefrazier93 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Echoing Frosticheart's sentiment. I'm having the exact same problem everyone else is. As a paying customer (who has spent probably several hundred dollars on Zen since this game released), I expect a certain degree of quality from the game, and a certain quality of customer service from the people who represent the company behind it. PLEASE fix your game. We're not complaining to be jerks, we're complaining because we sincerely care about being able to actually PLAY the game... and because many of us have something actually invested in it.
  • Options
    raistlinmajere00raistlinmajere00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I too am affected by all of this and can login most of the time, however actually moving or opening windows in the game is not an option. However, I find reading the comments between the members and the Moderator just as enjoyable while I am eating my popcorn :3
  • Options
    shanefrazier93shanefrazier93 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    Have you heard about this MMO called Tera? I was able to play this one with no problems. Thinking about giving it a shot.
This discussion has been closed.