What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Strongholds to end Solo players ?

Comments

• Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    j0shi82 wrote: »
    Can you draw conclusions how a boon system would work? Do you only have access to those as long as you're in the guild or are they sort of unlocked in your campaign window and can be claimed permanently for your character?

In STO they are called "Reputation" and you contribute Mark toward the "Project". This is a UI Window in your client app - like the Professions window or the Campaigns window. As you contribute to the guild coffers you get Marks (in STO it's called Reputation) - the marks will probably sit in your currency tab like all the rest.

Then for the boons you will open your "project" UI (think: professions UI) - select a "project slot" and choose what that project is from a list of several. The Project has resource requirements, you get the resources and then "contribute" the resources to the "project".

It works amazingly alot like the way Campaigns do right now - and may even be the same UI (in the campaigns UI) - I don't know. Marks themselves will be used to buy from Guild vendors - which will be the same in all guilds depending on the level of the guild.

Any resources you have and any marks (contribution credit) you have earned are permanently yours. if you leave the guild and join a new one nothing changes: you still have all that you've earned. So you can think of this as a new "campaign" more or less as everything you do benefits you directly (along with the guild) and what you earn you keep no matter what.

NOTE: This is how it works in STO. In Neverwinter some of the names may be changed to protect the innocent and some of the UI and actual step-by-steps may be a bit different. But the overall gist will all be the same.

Ok, so that sounds a lot more like I would think it *should* be. Thanks for the info, appreciated!
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    rghbrghbj wrote: »
    If PVP is not consensual, Strongholds may be DOA. Many have asked for guild housing and I hope this fulfills that request. Although I am in a large guild, I hope small guilds can find some fun in this new module. Will definitely take longer than being in a larger guild though.

I doubt there would be non-consentual PvP. Cryptic has never been known to "force" players into PvP, not even with CoH/CoV, and that was kinda the point with those games.

Honestly, Cryptic just doesn't know how to "do" PvP enough to make something non-consentual or FFA even work in a remotely viable fashion. I mean look at the PvP in NW already... They are both utter failures.
    Yeah but all correct GEAR stay in PVP / Cryptic dont force to play PVP / XD

oh you mean like how they keep forcing us to play pve? and continue to force us to play pve? yeah thats fair.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015
    If PVP is not consensual, Strongholds may be DOA. Many have asked for guild housing and I hope this fulfills that request. Although I am in a large guild, I hope small guilds can find some fun in this new module. Will definitely take longer than being in a larger guild though.

I doubt there would be non-consentual PvP. Cryptic has never been known to "force" players into PvP, not even with CoH/CoV, and that was kinda the point with those games.

Honestly, Cryptic just doesn't know how to "do" PvP enough to make something non-consentual or FFA even work in a remotely viable fashion. I mean look at the PvP in NW already... They are both utter failures.

oh you mean like how they keep forcing us to play pve? and continue to force us to play pve? yeah thats fair.

If this was a PvP game in majority, you'd have a point. Alas, it is not. Ergo, you chose, it was not chosen for you.
  • Options
    blackxxwolf3blackxxwolf3 Member Posts: 1,539 Arc User
    zebular wrote: »

If this was a PvP game in majority, you'd have a point. Alas, it is not. Ergo, you chose, it was not chosen for you.

do you seriously think its so hard to make artifact equipment pvp reward-able? im positive its not. make it able to be bought with 60k glory and increase the cap simple.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2015

do you seriously think its so hard to make artifact equipment pvp reward-able? im positive its not. make it able to be bought with 60k glory and increase the cap simple.
    Which is something you should be posting in a constructive feedback manner instead of whining about being "forced" to play PvE, for all the sentiment you're going to get from most is that YOU chose to PvP in a primarily PvE game. It is quite common place in PvE MMOs that have PvP elements to have to progress PvE to advance in or reach PvP content. Regardless, I suggest you go about a different way to communicate your feedback on this particular issue.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    I'm in a solo guild now with maximum bank size and not a lot of hope that Stronghold content will be playable for me. If you find yourself soloing by preference and still want to do Stronghold stuff, email me ingame at @myles08807 and we'll talk. A GDI guild sounds good to me...
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    myles08807 wrote: »
    I'm in a solo guild now with maximum bank size and not a lot of hope that Stronghold content will be playable for me. If you find yourself soloing by preference and still want to do Stronghold stuff, email me ingame at @myles08807 and we'll talk. A GDI guild sounds good to me...

I really hope that Strongholds has some mechanic where, for instance, I could team with people from another guild, and either have our cooperative efforts help us both out, or have the efforts at least benefit the hosting guild...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    j0shi82 wrote: »
    Can you draw conclusions how a boon system would work? Do you only have access to those as long as you're in the guild or are they sort of unlocked in your campaign window and can be claimed permanently for your character?

[...]
    Any resources you have and any marks (contribution credit) you have earned are permanently yours. if you leave the guild and join a new one nothing changes: you still have all that you've earned. So you can think of this as a new "campaign" more or less as everything you do benefits you directly (along with the guild) and what you earn you keep no matter what.

[...]

...so, to make sure I get this right: Your currency is one thing and that is kept with your char. But what about the projects themselves? IIRC from the blogs, at certain tiers there will only be space for some of the buildings...

...does this mean... ...example (fictional and hypothetical, ofc):

I'm in Arcane Altoholics with my CW, where I spend a good-ish bunch of Marks on an Alchemy Lab to get better potions. All of a sudden the Guildmaster dies or quits, and the new guy, an OP-main player decides "Nah, who needs potions. ARMOR is what we need!", and switches that unfinished project over to, say, a Mithral Mine...

- will I keep my investment in the first place (progress being frozen - or be refunded)?
    - will I keep it if I change the guild after that change of course?
    - will I keep it if I change to a lower-stage guild (or found my own)?

Also, will the boons you unlock at higher ranks stay if you change to a newer/smaller/lower rank guild - or are these set by the guild? Access to produce, that's fairly obvious, but if there's boons like in the campaigns,...

Sure, this can't be answered here and now, but those (and other stuff) are things where I'd find it interesting how this is handled among them Trekkies...

...BTW is there a specific forum and/or guide to that in the STO hierarchy somewhere, and yould someone link that up for a lazy reader, please?

Post edited by suicidalgodot on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    ...BTW is there a specific forum and/or guide to that in the STO hierarchy somewhere, and yould someone link that up for a lazy reader, please?

The STO Wiki has a lot of details: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_starbase

In my opinion, I only see small similarities in what info we've been given on NW Strongholds to how STO's Starbases work. I have a feeling NWs will be quite different, yet that is all based off of the same amount of information you are all privy to aslo -- which isn't much, so until we get some actual first-hand experience with Stronholds, it is too early to compare them.

• Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    Yes, I see more similarities from what they have shown us so far to Stronghold Kingdoms. So probably a hybrid of different games ideas.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes, I see more similarities from what they have shown us so far to Stronghold Kingdoms. So probably a hybrid of different games ideas.
    I was thinking the same thing but had a brainfart mad0233.gif and couldn't recall it's name properly, so I backspaced that part.
  • Options

The STO Wiki has a lot of details: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_starbase
    [...]

OK, I'll go and have a read there, thanks for link & hint.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    <snip>
    But they did take a casual friendly, alt somewhat friendly, solo friendly game, and removed the casual part, removed the alt friendly part, and now are going after the solo part ad squashing them.
    <snip>

This statement really defines what has begun to frustrate me about this game. The game has become less casual-friendly and alt-friendly and looks to be possibly less solo-friendly with the next mod. In other words, this game is going in a completely opposite direction from my tastes and interests.

We'll see how this whole stronghold thing goes . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    myowmyow wrote: »
    <snip>
    But they did take a casual friendly, alt somewhat friendly, solo friendly game, and removed the casual part, removed the alt friendly part, and now are going after the solo part ad squashing them.
    <snip>

This statement really defines what has begun to frustrate me about this game. The game has become less casual-friendly and alt-friendly and looks to be possibly less solo-friendly with the next mod. In other words, this game is going in a completely opposite direction from my tastes and interests.

We'll see how this whole stronghold thing goes . . .

Certainly interesting because the devs seemed to have switched course over a few mods. They subsequently ended ALTs starting in Mod 3, casual play in Mod 6 and now solo play in Mod 7 (given that what we assume is true).

So far all they have to show for it is a dwindling player base, because those that came here for the reasons stated realize this no longer is a game for them. That's not the only reason, but I'd say a factor absolutely.
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    Will there be anything for one-person guilds, that currently only exist so they can have a guild bank?

I thought those were squashed with some past update, as one-person guilds were not "legal" guilds. . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Will there be anything for one-person guilds, that currently only exist so they can have a guild bank?

I thought those were squashed with some past update, as one-person guilds were not "legal" guilds. . .

No. I own two on my account (one for collection purposes and one to quickly move stuff from char to char). If they'd ever close them down without notice, goodbye.

The problem is that there is not sufficient space available elsewhere. Fix it and people don't need to choose that workaround. I'd love to buy more shared account slots for refining mats that you need regularly on chars and are a pain to mail back and forth.

Same with personal slots to set up a char that can handle all the collection items. If they wanted to force people to set up ALTs as mules, here's the news: Character slots are cheaper per inventory space than anything else. So why limit personal / account bank slots anyway?
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I am in a fantastic guild "Winorlosewebooze" but I mainly play solo due to RL issues and when I need to run a dungeon I have the support of the guild. Stongholds in my opinion will allow me the opportunity to play and benefit myself and my guild more. Do you non guild guys run HE's? Of course you do. Is Stongholds the end of solo play....Was GG? I personally find the potential benefits far outweigh any perceived negatives.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    Nothing can stop me from soloing!

For instance , in this mod...i just made a paladin....cant solo Wod at 60 on your wizard? np , make a paladin...they walk through it :blush:
  • Options

I just asked my Manager directly about this, in order to quell this rumor before it spreads.

I asked, "Is having personal guilds, with only your character(s) in them, acceptable? e.g. Personal Bank/Storage Guilds" and his responce was "Yeah, it's fine. Nothing in the rules against that."
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User

Which is something you should be posting in a constructive feedback manner instead of whining about being "forced" to play PvE, for all the sentiment you're going to get from most is that YOU chose to PvP in a primarily PvE game. It is quite common place in PvE MMOs that have PvP elements to have to progress PvE to advance in or reach PvP content. Regardless, I suggest you go about a different way to communicate your feedback on this particular issue.

You could also mention that pvp bis armor is way easier to get than pve bis armor.

• Options
    singingbladesingingblade Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    What I would like to see if single guild owners can have npcs to fill the ranks. I could for instance put in a lesser soul forge, lesser vorpal, some enchants and walla I have 1 working npc that defends my stronghold. I could have up to 149 of these npcs. Of course, what does cryptic get well one less soulforge, vorpal and enchants that can't be taken back? Win for me and win for cryptic. They could also have special npcs requiring more materials to be leaders, i.e requiring higher enchants etc. This would be fun for me.
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    What I would like to see if single guild owners can have npcs to fill the ranks. I could for instance put in a lesser soul forge, lesser vorpal, some enchants and walla I have 1 working npc that defends my stronghold. I could have up to 149 of these npcs. Of course, what does cryptic get well one less soulforge, vorpal and enchants that can't be taken back? Win for me and win for cryptic. They could also have special npcs requiring more materials to be leaders, i.e requiring higher enchants etc. This would be fun for me.

Yeah, and what's next? selling an army of bots?
  • Options
    drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    skalt112 wrote: »

You could also mention that pvp bis armor is way easier to get than pve bis armor.

It took me about a month of running 4 to 10 matches of GG/ day to get my Burning gear... it would take me a year+ to raise my BI shaping to level 5... so I could make Elemental Burning gear.

So NO, it is not easier.

If I chose to use PuG runs into t2 dungeons, more... I would have had the Elven set within 2 to 3 weeks. Again... another year, or so, to make the Elemental. As it is... I collected a full Elemental Alliance set in 4 weeks.

I do not like doing PuG runs...

Have you read any of the previous posts? This is not something that will be forced upon ANY GUILD. This is a consensual PvP thing.
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options

I just asked my Manager directly about this, in order to quell this rumor before it spreads.

I asked, "Is having personal guilds, with only your character(s) in them, acceptable? e.g. Personal Bank/Storage Guilds" and his responce was "Yeah, it's fine. Nothing in the rules against that."

That's really nice to know (and many thanks for passing it on, Zeb!), though from what the preview shows, I doubt you'll be able to solo your Stronghold :^D

IF the boons/benefits from guild membership persist upon leaving/switching, I can foresee a new type of guild, the "service" guild - where you join up (for an in-game fee), get your stuff (for Guild Marks, so the guild work tasks will still have to be done), then leave again, and rejoin whenever you need something guilsy again (for another fee, prbly)...

...should I patent this?
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    I have no issue with the social side of Guilds. I'm a solo player because:

1. I'm a casual due to RL commitments
    2. I'm an Altoholic

The combination of the above mean I'm a bad fit for guild membership as not only do I have limited play time but I might often be in game on multiple toons during that time. I don't want to be 'that guy' who joins a guild but is hardly ever around or participating in guild runs due to lack of time etc.

So for people like me, solo play is pretty much the only option rather than just a preference.

That summarises me as well. I've declined all guild invites to date both from those I've played with along with the random ones that pop-up periodically for the much the same main reasons. This was actually my sole concern with mod 7, that my play time would be intruded upon by in increase in the number of random guild invites.

As it stands my Neverwinter play-time has plummeted recently anyway so it might be a good time to take a break and see how things pan out.