Install Arc
Options

CW nerfs revisited

123457»

Comments

• Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    kozi001 wrote: »
    True! In D&D 2.5-3 (like in Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and the old Neverwinter series) Wizards were amazing they pwnd whole armies with aoe spells like fireballs, meteor swarms. Spells like command spells, triggered-sequencer spells and (real!) Time stop were amazing. .
    Oh, those were good times. triggers and timestops, even liches didn't stand a chance.
    In 2/2.5, after lv30, a wizard was the party, and everyone else was just a shield.
    Glad someone else remembers what I'm talking about.

• Options
    vordaynvordayn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,283 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Then CW, because they are supposed to do aoe damage to a large number of abilities, but their main purpose is to control. Also, the damage dealing wizards are known as war wizards. Control wizards are just control.

This is just laughable. Control? In T2 dungeons? I'd be lucky to freeze things for a few seconds before they unfreeze and one shot us. Once a control wizard goes down, all that control dissipates, instantly.

The power creep has occurred again, now it's getting a team with high DPS to burn mobs quickly rather than control.

I am sick and tired of hearing people say Control Wizards should only control first and foremost, when our control powers seem secondary at best in a dungeon run.

I'm also sick and tired of the dev's 'balancing' of storm spell not to critically strike now, when they have included an artifact set which does just that. It is still BiS for everyone, and not having it gimps one's character by a huge percentage of DPS.

The nerf to storm spell, which based on certain builds could be anywhere from 15-30% of personal DPS, and a lack of Lostmauth Set means that the CW would probably be nerfing his own power by about 30-60% total DPS output. It's just laughable to see people still saying we should just control, control control, when there is no increase in control, and an uncompensated massive decrease in DPS.
    Post edited by vordayn on
    Vordon CW        Vordayn DC        Axel Wolfric GWF        Logain SW        Gawyn GF        Galad OP        Aspen Darkfire HR        Min TR
  • Options
    fatgunsfatguns Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    vordayn said:

Then CW, because they are supposed to do aoe damage to a large number of abilities, but their main purpose is to control. Also, the damage dealing wizards are known as war wizards. Control wizards are just control.

This is just laughable. Control? In T2 dungeons? I'd be lucky to freeze things for a few seconds before they unfreeze and one shot us. Once a control wizard goes down, all that control dissipates, instantly.

The power creep has occurred again, now it's getting a team with high DPS to burn mobs quickly rather than control.

I am sick and tired of hearing people say Control Wizards should only control first and foremost, when our control powers seem secondary at best in a dungeon run.

I'm also sick and tired of the dev's 'balancing' of storm spell not to critically strike now, when they have included an artifact set which does just that. It is still BiS for everyone, and not having it gimps one's character by a huge percentage of DPS.

The nerf to storm spell, which based on certain builds could be anywhere from 15-30% of personal DPS, and a lack of Lostmauth Set means that the CW would probably be nerfing his own power by about 30-60% total DPS output. It's just laughable to see people still saying we should just control, control control, when there is no increase in control, and an uncompensated massive decrease in DPS.

Icy veins, no?....OK.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    fatguns said:

Depends on how you build for control. Unlike in PvP, there are a lot of companion bonuses which you can stack upto more than 100% control bonus easily in PvE. Most CW players that complain that CWs can't control anything usually invest in less than 30% control bonus, and yes, when the stats are like these, indeed, you can't really control anything in T2 dungeons and the elite-grade mobs. Try going over 90% in control bonus and that's where the real game begins for dedicated controllers.

Of course, generally speaking, it is undeniable that DPS is the better way to go, just due to the fact that every dungeon boss, ultimately, is immune to all controls. Some krappy designed critters like the big blue drakes that are inherently immune to controls, as well as mini-bosses are also what makes controls undesirable.

Again, it just depends on the amount of your committment. Obviously, if you want to be called a controller, then its either all or nothing. You invest into it fully, or don't.

Repetition of the above. There are ways to increase control. It just simply depends on whether you are willing to commit or not.

Icy veins, no?....OK.
    There are two elements that make a good control wizard. One is the duration of the control, and the second is the recasting speed of those controls. Emprically speaking, if you can basically freeze/hold mobs around 4 seconds or more, while bringing down the recharge of all your control powers to less than 10 seconds, it starts to work out. (ie. I hold/freeze normal mobs for around 12~13 seconds, and 'high CC resistance mobs' in dungeons for around 4~5. Nowadays I don't even use Orbosition in normal pve content)

Icy Veins is an excellent method to dish out 5 chill stacks, which best synergizes with Icy Terrains, one of the most important powers for a controller build. It helps with insta-AoE freeze.

(ps) Boy.. do I hate this fekkin' SimpleHTML format. What the heck did they do to our familiar, good ol' BBS code format?? !)@*#(&)!)!&
    Post edited by kweassa on
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    bkt5789bkt5789 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    I think hunter rangers are also controllers, and they also excel at aoe. Not just control wizards. I disagree with the nerf on the cw, if they are increasing the amount of control resist mobs have and decreasing our damage output then I see it being hard for the cw to excel at anything. It's a huge injustice. I would like storm spell back to what it was and see the mof paragon buffed in some way compatible to a spell storm.

Rather than nerfing I would like to see all forms of dps being able to deal equal amounts of dps. This way people play the class they enjoy rather than rerolling every time some other class has an unfair advantage which these nerfs/buffs are creating.They would be equal strong just deal their damage in different ways. especially cause with all these paragons each class can do almost anything as long as it's permitted by the class (we aren't going to see tr healers) but I would love to see devotion op, heallocks, and clerics (faithful or virtuous) to be able to dish out equal healing. Ooo or or have gf and paladin to take equal tanking..

I don't even wanna see the lostmauth set nerfed. Cause gosh darnit, if you spent all that time getting that set you deserve that freaking op set bonus as far as I see it.

Let's buff instead of nerf. Equal pain given, higher player satisfaction. That is my motto.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    Rangers are striker/controllers, wizards are controller/strikers. Wizards are better strikers than they are controllers, and rangers are generally wanted more for their control than their damage.
  • Options
    bkt5789bkt5789 Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    i class both classes in the same boat, and would like for them to have equal footing in that boat. My best friend is hunter ranger and he's amazing with it he loves the gameplay. I am wizard. In the Xbox we deal similar damage and have similar control, but in two days it might be different, maybe both will see less control and wizard see less damage. I tried hunter ranger and it doesn't suit my play style.

My mains are support cleric with 14k gs (might make it rebuff/dps cleric in two days cause the paladin is better at healing), and spell storm control wizard (ironzergs renegade build which I'm keeping) with 13k gs

My secondary is a gwf using lazalias build, I'm up to 13k gs currently.

I tried hunter ranger, trickster rogue, and gf but couldn't get into their gameplay.

I will be building both devotion and protection Paladins and then keep both... They both look so cool to me so far.

Oh I'm also looking for a new guild.
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    aulduron said:

Rangers are striker/controllers, wizards are controller/strikers. Wizards are better strikers than they are controllers, and rangers are generally wanted more for their control than their damage.

This whole concept was deleted in D&D 5...

stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options
    balorinbalorin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    May be it's deleted for DnD 5 but the whole game is designed from DnD 4, so it's still revelent unless the devs decide to make an entire new game based on DnD 5, of course it won't happen.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    balorin said:

May be it's deleted for DnD 5 but the whole game is designed from DnD 4, so it's still revelent unless the devs decide to make an entire new game based on DnD 5, of course it won't happen.

Neverwinter used 4E for "inspiration".

It doesn't actually use any of the rules from the table top edition. The entire argument is silly. There's not a single rule you can point to in the 4E player's handbook that is relevant for people playing Neverwinter.

And now we're seeing the 5E rules and setting inspire the latest content.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    I was answering commanderdata002 about classes.

I don't talk about table top rules it seems obvious they are not the same we are on a video game dude.

I talk about the classes and their roles and about that all the classes match with the DND 4, striker controler, defender leader.
    They won't change that because DND 5 is on the table, DDO didn't change their 3 3.5 "inspired" rules or classes because WOTc launched the 4th or 5th edition.

Wich 5e edition classes content inspired the devs about the latest content?

None.

The stronghold content come from a very old content and certainly not a recent one.

Same thing for elemental evil wich is one of the oldest content for DnD.

But here we are talking about classes not the story line.

So unless you bring on the table some serious facts or news about classes the whole concept about defender leader etc etc etc will be still on until the game will be off, it seems obvious.

Post edited by balorin on
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    balorin said:

None.

The stronghold content come from a very old content and certainly not a recent one.

So unless you bring on the table some serious facts or news about classes the whole concept about defender leader etc etc etc will be still on until the game will be off, it seems obvious.

You're incorrect. The Oathbound Paladin was inspired directly by the new paladin in 5E.

And the Elemental Evil had ZERO to do with the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign of yore...it was a totally new story arc that tied into the 5E release of new content, which you can read about here:

Let me quote the relevant part for you, to make it easy.
    Today, Wizards of the Coast announced the newest Dungeons & Dragons storyline and accompanying product offerings for both digital and tabletop RPG players. Coming off of the biggest and most exciting year yet for Dungeons & Dragons, the Elemental Evil storyline starts in March and runs through mid-summer. During that time, heroes are needed in the Forgotten Realms to discover and defeat secret cults that threaten to annihilate the Sword Coast by harnessing the powers of the elements of fire, water, air, and earth.

The product line-up includes the release of a new downloadable module—Neverwinter: Elemental Evil—for the highly acclaimed free-to-play Dungeons & Dragons MMORPG from Cryptic Studios and Perfect World Entertainment. Serving as an additional way for fans to experience the storyline, Neverwinter: Elemental Evil brings a new playable class—the Paladin—and increases the game’s level cap to 70. Neverwinter is set in the Forgotten Realms, and the new expansion launches in early 2015. Cryptic also recently announced Neverwinter on Xbox One will be available in early 2015 as well.
    Furthermore, do you know where the inspiration for Module 8: Underdark is coming from? That's right...5E source material.
    For fans of Neverwinter, the popular Dungeons & Dragons-based MMORPG will bring a new expansion – tentatively titled Neverwinter: Underdark – in 2015. The update will see adventurers travel with Drizzt to the drow city of Menzoberranzan during its demonic assault as well as experience a unique set of quests written by the creator of Drizzt, R.A. Salvatore. The expansion will initially be released on PC and will come out on the Xbox One at a later date.
    That being said, Neverwinter is following more traditional paths of tanks, healers and DPS...but it's obvious that they're moving in their own direction that aligns with the vision set out by WotC for the direction of the D&D brand.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    And the Elemental Evil had ZERO to do with the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign of yore...it was a totally new story arc that tied into the 5E release of new content
    Elemental evil had zero to do with the temple of elemental evil?

Ok just listen the lead LORE content here in the five first minutes he tells us it's based and inspired on the Gary Gygax ancient module.

-----www.twitch.tv/perfectworld_community/c/6112634---------

Of course it's not totaly the same story Wotc or Cryptic, didn't make a copy but it's based on an old content same thing for stronghold.

--------http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9361903-neverwinter:-history-of-strongholds-in-d&d-dev-blog------
    You're incorrect. The Oathbound Paladin was inspired directly by the new paladin in 5E.
    What is your source?

About the paladin i checked the 4th and 5th edition and i see nothing revelant to tell what they choosed, because it's pretty similar, there is not a huge difference.
    In the 3 and 3.5 there is a huge difference between the paladin and the one presented in 4th edition and then the fith one.

What is the OP in this game? a defender or a leader that's all, certainly not a controller or a striker at least for the moment.

But they (the devs and not wotc) won't abandon the defender leader striker and controler concept because they won't make a mess in their game, it sounds obvious they will stay more close from the CLASS ROLE 4th edition because they started with that.

A lot of people thought that the rules of the 4th edition were specialy designed for a video game (simple more simple than before) and when neverwinter were launched, somewhere they were not wrong.

The story line have nothing to do with the class role it's not linked.

And about module 8, underdark and the dark elf, ok ok it's a new story . . .but seriously how many novels and books we have about the dark ranger the underdark and their cities?

Just look at the foes they are facing in this story they are so old they crossed almost all the editions of DND, some of them are more old than the creation of the dark ranger and the forgotten realms.

For example Demogorgon OLD STUFF NEW STUFF? look by yourself and i could continue that with a lot of ancient vilains inside the mod 8.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

So new story but with a big bunch of old content and you can call that 6th or 7th edition it changes nothing.

I don't quote what WOTC tell us, because they want to sell us 'their new content", there is history before Wotc and they picked a lot inside at least more than you think.

Post edited by balorin on
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    Yep, Control wizard is a prime controller, that's why they gave us a power called Disintegrate.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    umsche said:

Yep, Control wizard is a prime controller, that's why they gave us a power called Disintegrate.

And Ice Knife and Sudden Storm and Magic Missile and Storm Pillar and Scorching Burst and Fanning the Flame and Smolder/Rimefire and Storm Spell and and and.

This is an MMORPG for f...'s sake, if you are looking for table-top rules, play table-top. MMORPGs are all based on grinding, combat, pvp, organizing groups and guilds and social interaction. This whole "primary this, secondary that" ruleset would apply to some DnD titles, but let's face it. This is an MMORPG by a company that is not associated with WotC, except buying/renting their license to use the whole concept to reach masses that otherwise wouldn't have touched these kind of games. It's all just a marketing strategy. You can't possibly expect the game to follow "x" ruleset and only "x" ruleset because "y" ruleset is already not a true one and you've only played "z" "v" and "x" and those are the real blah blah blah.... insert nostalgic HAMSTER.

This is a standalone game with similarities to another game for marketing purposes. The goal is not to assign an untouchable role to each class, your ultimate goal as a developer is to create a working and ever-changing system. Either rock-paper-scissors or provide variety within a certain class or both. You can have the view that a certain class is supposed to be good at something, but this strength shouldn't be multiplicative of something other classes can do as well because of specialization. While a rock-paper-scissors system exists in this game, it is only there (due to the PvE nature of the game) to be used for party composition. Now the main problem here is that this game doesn't challenge specific party compositions. You can create a group of 3 dd, 1 support/heal, 1 tank and pretty much clear everything the game has to offer. So, since the group can be this universal, why only allow Warlocks and GWFs to be able to fill the DD role, because as you say, they are the primary strikers. Why eliminate a whole palette of possibilities and combinations because YOU PERSONALLY got used to other rules in another game.

Conclusion:
    The people who want to pigeonhole other classes to certain roles and only those roles, are really HAMSTER close-minded. Go back to your fantasy games with pen and paper and set your own rules. MMORPGs are ever-changing and ever-evolving. Each game has it's own ruleset, but these rules always change, especially if it is there to create a more enjoyable experience FOR EVERYONE. Class-envy is HAMSTER, destroying someone else's sandcastle because you can't build your own is HAMSTER.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    balorin said:

I don't talk about table top rules it seems obvious they are not the same we are on a video game dude.

I talk about the classes and their roles and about that all the classes match with the DND 4, striker controler, defender leader.
    They won't change that because DND 5 is on the table, DDO didn't change their 3 3.5 "inspired" rules or classes because WOTc launched the 4th or 5th edition.

None.

Not really. DnD is an ever changing game with various rulesets. It was good at first but not a perfect now

Btw we all know this controller-striker thingy is heavily citately only who has an alt CW, coming to CW forums and want to say sg big on forums. Probably never even set foot in a tabletop or regular DnD game.

CW has a variety of function and you can always go full dps if you please!
    In other mmos we might call it aoe dmg like Cryomancer in Skyforge . This controller thing is aoe dmg but very misleading...

• Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    Controlling the Battle through MASS carnage is the true definition of Control. Also very similar to the definition set out in D&D. But that has been rehashed on these forums a thousand times.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    umsche said:

balorin said:

None.

Not really. DnD is an ever changing game with various rulesets. It was good at first but not a perfect now

Btw we all know this controller-striker thingy is heavily citately who only has an alt CW at most, coming to CW forums and want to say sg big on forums. Doesn't ahve main CW and probably never even set foot in a tabletop or regular DnD game.

CW has a variety of function and you can always go full dps if you please!
    In other mmos we might call it aoe dmg like Cryomancer in Skyforge . This controller thing is aoe dmg but very misleading...

• Options
    ezedozezedoz Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Most of the items, powers are ineffective. I believe the game itself is broken, for eg Valindra set bonus is ineffective, there is no control bonus. I tried 30% Life steal, hardly got HP heals in PVP.

Only classes worth playing are the GWF, TR and OP rest are worthless. These classes can take on several at a time. Other classes are ok solo, but dead when fighting 2 or more.