test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Ice Update

Comments

• ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They're probably theorycrafting on it right now. They're not that bad to let an entire module become useless to invest time into.
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    They're probably theorycrafting on it right now. They're not that bad to let an entire module become useless to invest time into.

Me thinks a large portion of the "Dragon" population thinks that was an entire useless module.
  • rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mh0ram wrote: »
    Me thinks a large portion of the "Dragon" population thinks that was an entire useless module.

I actually had loads of fun in the IWD area. the open pvp was much more satisfying than domination, because its not premade stacks of BIS people vs the scraps. also lets me and my friends go 1v1 against each other for bragging rights.
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rversant wrote: »
    I actually had loads of fun in the IWD area. the open pvp was much more satisfying than domination, because its not premade stacks of BIS people vs the scraps. also lets me and my friends go 1v1 against each other for bragging rights.

So have we, but it's a novelty at best. That's just me though.

And, gloves gated behind RNG that you then Craft, and have to feed. All to do 1 skirmish? Wasn't exactly something I was interested in.

That being said I have sets on HR and CW, but I could give a flying rip if they get "updated" or not. I'd actually prefer not and move on. I can't count how many times I've seen people whine about the gloves...
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A whole module was built around this gear, its complex to aquire and maintain. This isnt some random T2 you can buy at the AH for 10k. Seeing IWD deserted because no one intersted in it, would be just sad.
    Updating it to lvl 70 and adding T4 empowerement will breath live into IWD.
  • lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    why the hell everybody cries for upgrades to old gear ?

whats the point of having a new level cap if we still have all the old equipment ?
    Because they are updating old campaigns to level 70 and it only makes sense to get level 70 rewards for over month long campaigns?
  • free2payfree2pay Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The only way I can see to make T1,T2 and even BI gears relevant would be to reduce the minimum level they can be equipped. Sure they will be obsolete beyond level 60+ but having such a short lifespan for the absurd amount of effort required to get them is rather incomprehensible. I'd say let T1 gear be equippable at lvl 25, T2 at lvl 35, BI at lvl 45. That way contents where such items dropped will still be relevant.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lerdocix wrote: »
    Because they are updating old campaigns to level 70 and it only makes sense to get level 70 rewards for over month long campaigns?

new gear yes, old <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> updated no

these sets have been around for so long its boring, these old campaigns should be used for leveling not because they cant be bothered with new content
    Paladin Master Race
  • nolashmendesnolashmendes Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    meh, bis is 'ok' i i prefer my templar set now :)
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No need to upgrade the old Black Ice. The reason that most people hated IWD was because they could not get the initial piece to get started. They need to make new pieces that are independent of the old Black Ice armors. They have a chance to fix things now without having to rework the old gear and making people mad that spent the time grinding it the hard (insane? luck?) way.
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited February 2015
    There will be a new tier of Black Ice armor, both Corrupted and Purified. It will be, at max fill of Black Ice, in between the 2 sets of Dungeon armors. I did increase the drop rate of the Black Ice Arms and you can use also your old Corrupted/Purified Arms to make the new Black Ice arms. It should be visible in the next patch.
  • midnightitamidnightita Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    graalx3 wrote: »
    There will be a new tier of Black Ice armor, both Corrupted and Purified. It will be, at max fill of Black Ice, in between the 2 sets of Dungeon armors. I did increase the drop rate of the Black Ice Arms and you can use also your old Corrupted/Purified Arms to make the new Black Ice arms. It should be visible in the next patch.

Very nice! thanks.
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Sounds great all around. Interested to see if Black Ice damage/resistance will play a factor in some builds.
  • graalx3graalx3 Member Posts: 232
    edited February 2015
    Black Ice damage is a thing of the past. It has been removed from all monsters and resistance from equipment. We didn't want to force players to wear Black Ice only in Icewind Dale.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015

summoning @graalx3

you stated about all lv 70 gear having HP.
    you can expect more HP on purified and some HP on corrupted then?
    thanks
  • rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Black Ice damage is a thing of the past. It has been removed from all monsters and resistance from equipment. We didn't want to force players to wear Black Ice only in Icewind Dale.

So Kessel's Retreat is no longer being gated behind BI equipment, and will BI Equipment have a new stat added to it to replace BI Resistance?
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Thanks, that makes so much sense for the reasons stated.

Have you considered tying the new PVP armor to IWD as well? The open world areas need all the help they can get.
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    black ice resistance is really meeeeeeh, unless you add more sources of black ice damage.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That would be my question as well then, to confirm that Kessel will no longer require anything but to unlock it and maybe have an ilvl requirement.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »
    why the hell everybody cries for upgrades to old gear ?

whats the point of having a new level cap if we still have all the old equipment ?

didnt read all replies, but..

The answer is that this level Cap Increase is designed to make it easier for Cryptic to re-designate dungeons and gear to different lvl brackets.

Right now we have 20 different sets of gear and 20 Dungeons to run at 60, yet only 2 sets of gear are worth even looking at and only 2 or 3 dungeons are worth running.

its not so much that they have added 10 new levels to the game, but more like they redesigned the game to be played out over 70 level instead of 60. they nerf the worth of each stat, increased the top lvl of enchants and artifacts, and the end result will be: We are simply working our butts off Simply to get Back to where we currently are in Live Server (that is, for the BIS end gamers)

but hey, its still early in mod 6 testing, who knows what 70 will actually be like when it goes live.
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have the gloves on 4 of my chars, the others have not been lucky enough to get. Is the increase in drop something noticeable, or is it such a small percent that it will not matter? Seeing a 1 in 200 drop rate vs 1 in 250 isnt that noticeable. It would be nice if a person tried to farm it for 20 hours and was able to be successful in that time. It shouldnt be much harder to get than any other piece since it is not stronger (when Black Ice armor was the only armor with overload slots it was understandable that the armor be rarer and hard to get).
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thanks for the info.
    So if I understand right, T2 dungeon armor will be better than the new tier black ice armor?
    Currently on live, the only armor that has (arguable) better stats than black ice is draconic templar. T2 armor is inferior (stat wise only, set bonuses aside).
  • packrat0packrat0 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2015

So, let me get this straight.
    BI gear, which by original design was intended to be more powerful than PvE T2 gear (thus it's T3 fully-empowered ranking) will get "levelled up," but that top level will in actuality be effectively T1.5?

You realize this will completely kill IWD, right? Who would want to work for gear that is basically Drake Seal equipment with a set bonus?
  • tomiotartomiotar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    packrat0 wrote: »
    BI gear, which by original design was intended to be more powerful than PvE T2 gear (thus it's T3 fully-empowered ranking) will get "levelled up," but that top level will in actuality be effectively T1.5?

You realize this will completely kill IWD, right? Who would want to work for gear that is basically Drake Seal equipment with a set bonus?

If its something like T1,5 and at same time is the only lvl70 set with tenacity a lot of people will continue using it and farming for it. If they finnally release a good lvl70 drow/elemental set with tenacity u are rigth R.I.P. IWD.
    edited February 2015
    packrat0 wrote: »

Presumably whatever armor is coming in the new dungeons, not the old T1 and T2 sets.

Depends how it falls out. If it has a better set bonus or the stats fit better for some people, they might still want it.

Also, if it can be made from your old armor, some people will just go for that because it's easy, because... they already have it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I dunno, with this whole "elemental" thing happening - maybe it's a good idea to keep BI damage and add some other stats to other gear.
    I kind of enjoyed BI damage and Kessel's because of the unmitigatable damage. The only real problem there was that it was an end to iself. Other content didn't have varied kinds of damage. So now, that we're entering the whole "elemental" thing, it might be a good time to add other types of damage/resistance (but forgo the whole Piercing thing meanwhile).
    I know, it's a lot of coding and server load, but it's fun :D
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Cool thanks for the info. Interested to see what the final versions look like. If people are going to have to keep refilling black ice gear what is the advantage to having it over other gear that doesn't require this maintenance? Just curious, thanks for the info given so far
  • packrat0packrat0 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Ah, good point Becky; I might have misunderstood.
    Graalx3's comment read to me as if they were going to put BI gear between the sets of existing dungeon armors, not new armor that may be coming in the new campaign.
    This seems odd, though, since one would think they would describe the new armor with a term other than "dungeon" armor, which I had always understood to be the classic T1 and T2 gear you get from the original epic dungeons.
    edited February 2015
    I'm under the impression that we're supposed to get new epic gear, but we haven't gotten to preview it yet.

So if we call that gear T4 and T5, the new BI stuff would be T4.5, which puts it in a respectable place again.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• lococatt91lococatt91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Sounds like they will be removing BI resistance and adding a bunch of HPs. And upgrading will put you a half notch below the best armor you can get at 70.