test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Black Ice Update

vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
This has been mentioned a few times but I couldn't find the specific thread. Currently on preview Black Ice gear is pretty terrible. Will it be getting:
1. A rework or
2. New levels of Black Ice crafting? (IE level 4 stuff)

Personally it seems like a waste if nothing happens. This was a whole mod and black ice damage/resistance seems kinda wasted now. Lets add back some features and give another path to some cool items

just a thought
Post edited by vteasy on

Comments

• burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    why the hell everybody cries for upgrades to old gear ?

whats the point of having a new level cap if we still have all the old equipment ?
    Paladin Master Race
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    burkaanc wrote: »

whats the point of having a new level cap if we still have all the old equipment ?

This......
  • effectensteineffectenstein Member Posts: 1,031 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015

to create an illusion that we didnt got a new campaign but instead we gat a level cap incrsease. so its the same as if we gotten another set of dailies.
    edited February 2015
    BI gear is not just some old gear, you cant buy it, and there is no sub. for it. BI gear is ONE OF A Kind and as he said a whole Module was made for it.
    It's not like you can just go get the set on the AH and is still one of the most powerful sets in MOD 5.

tnx

in wow whole expansion was about frozen throne gear, i dont see many ppl still running around in it or crying about it
    Paladin Master Race
  • henry404henry404 Member Posts: 690 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd quite like to see a continued/renewed use for black ice, simply because it pleases me to mine it.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    BI gear is not just some old gear, you cant buy it, and there is no sub. for it. BI gear is ONE OF A Kind and as he said a whole Module was made for it.
    It's not like you can just go get the set on the AH and is still one of the most powerful sets in MOD 5.

tnx

Out with the old in with the new get use to it same thing in every MMO with a new expansion btw i would rather have new dungeon sets then time gated campaign gear.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well i dont know anything about WoW, never played it nor do i care whats done in another game.
    Point is, it dident get an update due to a BUG and it should have (panda already ack. it as sutch). I have T1 Gear that did get updated btw (level 90 and 100).
    In any case i also want to know what they have in mind for it and Black Ice in general.

tnx

Are they getting rid of regen or halving of it and making purified usable? If not then its pretty bad now.

Save your seals/glory, get new drow. Problem solved.

I wouldn't mind if they did a a new rank up using the crafting systems, if the set was usable.
  • voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Well i dont know anything about WoW, never played it nor do i care whats done in another game.
    Point is, it dident get an update due to a BUG and it should have (panda already ack. it as sutch). I have T1 Gear that did get updated btw (level 90 and 100).
    In any case i also want to know what they have in mind for it and Black Ice in general.

tnx

If you haven ben playing a MMOs for a while you know every new expansion makes old expansion gear Obsolete same things happening here get the new drow gear and move on cause regen and stats changes have wrecked BI gear.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2015
    Not quite, i use the set in preview right now and in fact its the only set i have that is still good enough to take down a level 70.
    You can test it in mod5 tiamat (check the mobs) there are a few level 70's mixed in. I have been able to take them out as long as im careful. Im a GWF and mostly i use corrupted, i have try'd to replace it with other sets including draconic (current mod 5) and still found nothing better.
    Anyway i think the thread is a good one and we need to know what they have in mind.
    BTW are you going to go to IWD and tell the players there what there currently grinding day after day for is all going away because WoW does it? LOL ..

tnx

every mmorpg(at least the ones made by ppl who know what they are doing) does it, its the reason why they add new level caps, not like here where beta sets are still BiS after 5 expansions, there is a reason wow still has 5x more subscribers than most mmorpg developers could dream of

and yeah grind every day.... for about a month til u complete campaign and have enough for set unless you have really bad luck with gauntlets
    Paladin Master Race
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It is hilarious to see the NW fanboys get mad every time someone mentions WoW. Yes the two games are vastly different BUT it doesn't hurt to dip into the most successful MMO of all time to improve NW. It is one of the reasons WoW is still so successful and relevant because they incorporated aspects into the game that was a big hit in others. And IIRC WoW also started out with GS and made the change to item level some time afterwards. Another major aspect of the game where NW can learn from WoW is the move away from the daily-heavy grind. To this day the Netherwing faction grind is major pain in the backside but it ain't got nothing on say the Sharandar grind which to me is the most poor progression system I have ever encountered.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I lol every time people bring up that stupid level cap bulldozer argument. It's not as mandatory as you want to make us believe.

I think this issue goes beyond gear as well. Mod 3 was not only their biggest expansion so far, but also their biggest fail! In continuing with BI gear as hybrid PVE/PVP gear you would give PVP players some variety (looks like Tenacity will get even stronger in Mod 6) and revitalize the only open world PVP areas this game has.
    Not only would I add another tier to Black Ice gear, I'd also let open world domination drop tokens you need to unlock the tier and the new PVP Elemental armor. And voilà, that's nearly as much work as grinding out entirely new gear.
  • vteasyvteasy Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wow interesting discussion

I think there are some opportunities to update it. It was a whole mod that was based around black ice and black ice gear. All the old gear is getting tweaked alittle.

Not trying to make it best in slot but it was above t2 and it has tenacity which is nice. Plus I think there could be some uses for the black ice damage/resistance stat
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It would be nice to see black ice armor for level 70s (completely new armor having nothing to do with the level 60 version). Just make it require black ice that's mined plus items that can be bought in a store with scrimshaw tokens. Make all pieces craftable. This gets rid of the stupid farm for gloves that some people never get, gives new gear not linked to previous gear, and a much needed alternative form of pvp/pve gear. Open world pvp could be a way to get gear and it would make IWD relevant in a level 70 game. Most importantly it would be fun. There is nothing wrong with having multiple item sets. It creates diversity that people want. The idea of the way Black Ice gear worked was great. The failure was the fact that getting the set was infuriating to get because of RNG. There is no need for RNG. Only so much Black Ice can be refined in a day. Let that be the limiting factor of the armor.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Just make it require black ice that's mined plus items that can be bought in a store with scrimshaw tokens. Make all pieces craftable.

I understand the frustration behind not wanting a repeat of the PvE RNG grind for gauntlets for hybrid PvE/PvP gear, but I'm really reluctant to endorse a requirement to engage in OWPvP (and tons of it, no doubt) to obtain an updated set. Why can't it just cost black ice, without the missing pieces?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited February 2015
    Well right now Open PVP is a ghost town. Anything to encourage more people to go there is ok with me. Some of the most fun times playing have been big 20+ player battles there when the mod first came out. Plus with so many people those with lower GS can have fun too
    edited February 2015
    Especially since new toons have no chance to complete the PVP campaign. At least not legit.
    edited February 2015
    ah yeah i didn't even think of how hard it would be to complete that campaign now. good luck getting triple kills with only 1 person in the zone
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How about Module 6 introduces totally new sets at level 70 that are more desirable than our level 60 ones? I'm all for that.

I would hate to see the same stuff people have been wearing for a year or two recycled.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I doubt that Black Ice will become irrelevant at level 70, with the zen store pack.

Though as to what they will do with the gear is a complete different story. Since I currently wear CBI, part of me would like to be able to just "upgrade" but that is almost wishful thinking. I'm used to cycling through armor sets with new updates/expansions so it's water under the bridge.

What I would like to know is if I should continue mining and refining ice for future use or if it will just be a waste of time.

Honestly I wish they would expand with Icewind Dale. The area has so much potential but I believe Cryptic had to take the WoTC train and had to leave it behind. IWD itself feels incomplete.
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • ucanthandleucanthandle Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I understand the frustration behind not wanting a repeat of the PvE RNG grind for gauntlets for hybrid PvE/PvP gear, but I'm really reluctant to endorse a requirement to engage in OWPvP (and tons of it, no doubt) to obtain an updated set. Why can't it just cost black ice, without the missing pieces?

Something should be required besides just black ice. The items that could be used with it could be the rare items from heroic encounters to give PVE players a chance to get them, and allow those items to also be bought with scrimshaw to allow PVP players to get. Either way something besides just Black Ice should be use. This would make the item either corrupt or purified of whatever piece you are trying to make. This makes the items obtainable for any play style and limits the speed at which it can be obtained.

There are many ways that this system could be refined as long as it does not require luck (RNG). Black Ice equipment is something that is needed in this game really. Without it certain parts of the game just die. One of skimishes will be obsolete (why would a paladin worry with getting black ice armor when getting into a skirmish is the only reason), there will be no reason to use one of the professions (black ice shaping), and most importantly the only form of owpvp in the game is dieing without a reason for people to go there (making it impossible to legitimately get the iwd pvp campaign completed).
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    How about Module 6 introduces totally new sets at level 70 that are more desirable than our level 60 ones? I'm all for that.

I would hate to see the same stuff people have been wearing for a year or two recycled.

And there's the rub. If they come out with sets with twice as many stats but the 4-piece bonus is something that contributes 0.000005% of your damage over a parsed run, it will be written off as more trash not worth the effort to acquire and people will bend over backwards to keep using their old gear anyway.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited February 2015
    leave old sets as is and they will simply be non-viable, done deal
    Paladin Master Race
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Not viable? +30% DPS is ALWAYS viable. Lvl 70 gear could offer 5 times as many stats as existing gear and still be worthless outside of PvP. 4-set bonuses trump stats every day of the week.
    edited February 2015
    Not viable? +30% DPS is ALWAYS viable. Lvl 70 gear could offer 5 times as many stats as existing gear and still be worthless outside of PvP. 4-set bonuses trump stats every day of the week.

did u check this set http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?846441-Eternal-set ?
    7k stats + 37k hp from rare @ lvl 61, when t2 has 5.5k and templar 5.7k stats+some hp

judging from lvl 70 content running with some 30k hp wont be viable, or at least will be pain in the rear

and they need to get rid of t2 sets cause of the op bonuses
    Paladin Master Race
    edited February 2015

if they are updating other gear, they should update this one, done deal
    edited February 2015
    vteasy wrote: »
    if they are updating other gear, they should update this one, done deal

maybe go ask them to upgrade you lvl1 gray stuff to be viable at 70, because getting new gear and mmorpgs dont mix
    Paladin Master Race
    edited February 2015
    Also they can update Black Ice Profession to have more useful items
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2015

tnx

But it's God Awful Fugly.
    edited February 2015
    did u check this set http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?846441-Eternal-set ?
    7k stats + 37k hp from rare @ lvl 61, when t2 has 5.5k and templar 5.7k stats+some hp

judging from lvl 70 content running with some 30k hp wont be viable, or at least will be pain in the rear

and they need to get rid of t2 sets cause of the op bonuses

I'm running with 40k no biggie on my CW.

And if you have some ideas how to populate IWD other than Black Ice gear let us now. You have no substantial ideas after bulldoze, bulldoze, bulldoze!
  • rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'm just sad that black ice gear will essentially be pointless unless they make the gear scale to 70 and still have competitive stats because otherwise why work so hard for PVP gear thats pointless as you level up higher (especially when you'd probably hit 65+ from the campaigns time alone lol). I've spent weeks and still have no black ice gloves. :(
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,