test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter Xbox One Closed Beta Feb 5th - Feb 8th

akromatikakromatik Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in News & Announcements
For over a year, Neverwinter has provided adventurers from around the world a window into the Forgotten Realms universe. Until now, this experience has been limited to the PC, but on February 5th, adventurers on Xbox One will have a chance to set foot on the Sword Coast for the first time ever.

All great journeys have their first steps and Xbox Live Gold members will be able to take theirs in Neverwinter’s closed beta from February 5th – February 8th. Adventurers will be able to experience the captivating Tyranny of Dragons storyline as they battle against the Cult of the Dragon to save the city of Neverwinter. Those who participate in the beta will get to experience the same fast-paced combat as Neverwinter’s PC incarnation, complete with all of the game’s diverse classes. To better optimize the translation from PC to console, Neverwinter will utilize Xbox One’s friends list integration and streamlined control scheme to provide players with an experience as engaging as the PC's.

Are you ready to begin your Forgotten Realms journey on Xbox One? Sign up now at www.playneverwinter.com/xbox for Neverwinter’s closed beta!

Check out the trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6fzHOFds-M
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    Starting on a fresh server will be far easier for new and old players a-like than it is now starting on a server that's been around since launch.

I'm unsure. A lot of people geared up initially from exploitation and that gear made the content easier (which at the time was more challenging). You had to pretty much actively avoid the exploitation if you didn't want to be a part of it. As well as that there's no 100k soulforged or lesser vorpals. The way to control is also important considering mouse and keyboard has a lot of advantages than a controller. Imo, presuming the content is the same, the content will be a lot harder to beat initially, then quickly starting to breeze through the content once past the hurdle more than we ever were able to. It'd also be easier to get bored of, though when they're talking big about mod 6, that of course is something that will play a part.

Another important point is how easy it is to bot. I'm unsure if it's easy to ban a whole console and if it's harder to replace. If they can be dealt with then that should also be taken in effect because whether we like it or not, they played a big part in the economy and how things worked.

Tiamat is probably something to avoid for a while too unless it's made easier (which it shouldn't). People would really wish they could play in their own groups for that. I guess we have to see how it turns out, but honestly when mistakes are being remade, I personally don't hope for the best. Success ought to be something to work for and not be super forgiving. With bad ports and buggy releases over the years from publishers, success should be punished if things are to improve.

I wonder what the need/greed etiquette will be like.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    frishter wrote: »
    Another important point is how easy it is to bot. I'm unsure if it's easy to ban a whole console and if it's harder to replace. If they can be dealt with then that should also be taken in effect because whether we like it or not, they played a big part in the economy and how things worked.
    Well, on a good note on this is that the server will be on the XBOX Live Network, meaning that they risk getting their microsoft account, xbox live account, console and credit card banished from the XBOX Live network as a whole. Having such happen will make some gaming parents mad at their cheating kids too when their parental microsoft account gets sanctioned for their kids wrong doings. Because of this, I am leaning to think that the console server will be the server with the least amount of cheating going on.
  • Options
    uberzuberz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I read the beta news. Can a mod or some veterans answer a few questions for me?

- How much of the content will be released with the xbox one version? Are they releasing everything up to Tiamat(if that's the latest content pack)?

- Will the auction house be in the Xbox One version?

- How will the micro transactions be handled? Is this linked with the Xbox live store?

- And my last one, anyone able to show a link to what each button does on the Xbox One controller? It's out in China, thought maybe there was a controller layout posted somewhere.

Thanks in advance. I'm new here and I think this forum community seems awesome. I've already got a response from a forum mod, which is awesome, so refreshing!
  • Options
    zazaajizazaaji Member Posts: 186
    edited January 2015
    uberz wrote: »
    I read the beta news. Can a mod or some veterans answer a few questions for me?

- How much of the content will be released with the xbox one version? Are they releasing everything up to Tiamat(if that's the latest content pack)?

- Will the auction house be in the Xbox One version?

- How will the micro transactions be handled? Is this linked with the Xbox live store?

- And my last one, anyone able to show a link to what each button does on the Xbox One controller? It's out in China, thought maybe there was a controller layout posted somewhere.

Thanks in advance. I'm new here and I think this forum community seems awesome. I've already got a response from a forum mod, which is awesome, so refreshing!

1 - Everything up to and including Tyranny of the Dragons. That was in the announcement articles on various sites such as IGN, Joystiq, etc.
    2 - Yes, every single feature in the PC version will be in the Xbox version (even the Foundry, somehow), also in the announcements.
    3 - No clue on that one.
    4 - I found videos from the already-released Chinese version of the game on Xbox One, which include UI, menus, controls, etc. I am waiting until I am able to make a new thread to post/discuss them, as it's kind of worth an entire thread to discuss. I have no clue when I will be able to.

Does anyone know exactly when newly signed up forum members can make threads? I'd really like to make that thread to discuss the Xbox version's controls/ui/menu system/etc more in depth.

EDIT: Got a message from a Community Manager saying it takes 72 hours after my first message, so it'll be Sunday evening when I can make said thread.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    A couple of big questions I thought of:
    I do not have XBL gold, but will be more than happy to buy XBL Gold in order to play this game. I want to be sure I purchase gold before the invites go out, but seeing as my money is tight, I want to get the most use possible out of it. Is there any guess when beta invites will be sent out, even a rough guess?

There's also the fact that it's fairly large, and a number of people will need some time to download it prior to the Feb 5th start date. If we get an invite, will we be able to download the client a few days prior to the Feb 5th start date?

Thank you anyone that answers.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    How do you handle all the non-action based items with a controller? Like menu items, inventory, auction house, dialog answer selection, etc etc? Please don't say 'right analog stick moves a cursor across the screen'

I have yet to understand the Chinese videos I'm seeing and how the controller works with NW. Can we get some more information on this?
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well, on a good note on this is that the server will be on the XBOX Live Network, meaning that they risk getting their microsoft account, xbox live account, console and credit card banished from the XBOX Live network as a whole. Having such happen will make some gaming parents mad at their cheating kids too when their parental microsoft account gets sanctioned for their kids wrong doings. Because of this, I am leaning to think that the console server will be the server with the least amount of cheating going on.

Yeah it was something I wondered about, though didn't really know about since I pretty much moved to PC for several reasons including free net play. Though I did forget that you'd need to tie in your gold account which would certainly. Though on the other hand we constantly hear about exploiters being barely affected.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    How do you handle all the non-action based items with a controller? Like menu items, inventory, auction house, dialog answer selection, etc etc? Please don't say 'right analog stick moves a cursor across the screen'

I have yet to understand the Chinese videos I'm seeing and how the controller works with NW. Can we get some more information on this?

There's a full on start(menu)-button-pause menu system to select those without actually pausing the game, ala FFXIV, PSO, etc. Actual inventory/auction house/etc navigation appaears to be done with the d-pad to select individual slots, similar to how the arrow keys can currently be used on the PC version to select dialogue choices. Also, when you press the equivilant button to left Alt on PC on XB1 (still no clue which button it is), it appears to enter a mode that lets you scroll through all the UI elements.

These are more things I'll post screenshots of when I'm allowed to make a thread on Sunday evening, the fact they seemed to have removed the cursor entirely on the Xbox version.
  • Options
    deightonxdeightonx Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    zazaaji wrote: »
    There's a full on start(menu)-button-pause menu system to select those without actually pausing the game, ala FFXIV, PSO, etc. Actual inventory/auction house/etc navigation appaears to be done with the d-pad to select individual slots, similar to how the arrow keys can currently be used on the PC version to select dialogue choices. Also, when you press the equivilant button to left Alt on PC on XB1 (still no clue which button it is), it appears to enter a mode that lets you scroll through all the UI elements.

These are more things I'll post screenshots of when I'm allowed to make a thread on Sunday evening, the fact they seemed to have removed the cursor entirely on the Xbox version.

My Question is, with Neverwinter being done for Xbox One...will we be able to carry over our stats or accounts to it? As it seen it done on Warframe, i would be seeing it possible be done as well. Idk, for me i hope so...and all the perfect world games being carried over to xbox one.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i really hope in a server merge between us russian and xbox player after an year from the release.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    deightonx wrote: »
    My Question is, with Neverwinter being done for Xbox One...will we be able to carry over our stats or accounts to it? As it seen it done on Warframe, i would be seeing it possible be done as well. Idk, for me i hope so...and all the perfect world games being carried over to xbox one.

There have been numerous announcements on other sites that have contacted PWE, and they all say there will be no account transferring, character sharing, or anything at all between the XB1 and PC versions. 100% new/fresh start.

I'm in the same camp as rayrdan though, I'm hoping that after a year or something they'll merge the Xbox and PC servers. I'm pretty sure the main problem with this is Microsoft refuses to allow cross-platform games except for games they themselves publish, obviously of which Neverwinter is not.
  • Options
    blackfoxaltoroblackfoxaltoro Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I can't not say i'm convinced by this idea, the servers already crash every weekend, my worry is here, is neverwinter going to be able to take the strain of xbox ontop? i'm not against this move, far from it means I can play with my friends on xbox as well as friends from PC, but I do worry if this could be a bad thing with the unstable servers?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I can't not say i'm convinced by this idea, the servers already crash every weekend, my worry is here, is neverwinter going to be able to take the strain of xbox ontop? i'm not against this move, far from it means I can play with my friends on xbox as well as friends from PC, but I do worry if this could be a bad thing with the unstable servers?

There is no "ontop" of anything in this case. The Xbox servers will be completely different/separated, and are also specially coded for Xbox One use. PC ones have to take into account the many different types of computers that connect to it. This means that the only reason the Xbox servers will be unstable is if the Xbox version gets a much higher load than the PC version, or if they code it poorly. Since it's already been out in China for a while now, it's safe to assume there won't be any big coding issues. Only time will tell how crowded it'll be though.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

HaHa yes that is a good point of xbox, but ONLY when microsoft see fit to take notice which isn't to often, but Botting on xbox is harder, not impossable but it is harder, sadly reminds me of phantasy star online (a sonic team / sega game) realm one on that was bot central >< it was evil and was just a place to be avoied, and did see accounts get banned endlessly. But only accounts. I'm hoping xbox have stepped up the game since then, we are talking 4 years ago now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    There is no "ontop" of anything in this case. The Xbox servers will be completely different/separated, and are also specially coded for Xbox One use. PC ones have to take into account the many different types of computers that connect to it. This means that the only reason the Xbox servers will be unstable is if the Xbox version gets a much higher load than the PC version, or if they code it poorly. Since it's already been out in China for a while now, it's safe to assume there won't be any big coding issues. Only time will tell how crowded it'll be though.
    ;/
    that will be every festive season, every school holl and the odd random 3 day weekend then :/ which will follow with some random **** hacker group climing to of hacked it the media going nuts over it, and everyone that knows xbox and has known them since the very first xbox know this happens all the time and can lay winning bets on it. yeah we see outages on xbox as well. I know we wont be cross platforming in a sense that xbox and PC will be playing together, when I say I will be playing with my friends on here and on xbox. My friend I am a Gamer of ALL platforms not just one or two. (PC is my Fav yes but Not my only).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What's the financial advantage that botters can gain on the xbox one for NW? Where can they make money off what they bot? If you can't buy NW items from third party sites and use them on xbox one characters, botters won't bother. It's almost impossible to transfer a item bought outside the xbox live store into a xbox game without a modified console. And those can be detected and banned instantly by the game developer, Bungie did it recently with Destiny.

I'm not familiar enough with the NW economy to understand where botters will impact the xbox one platform.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    What's the financial advantage that botters can gain on the xbox one for NW? Where can they make money off what they bot? If you can't buy NW items from third party sites and use them on xbox one characters, botters won't bother. It's almost impossible to transfer a item bought outside the xbox live store into a xbox game without a modified console. And those can be detected and banned instantly by the game developer, Bungie did it recently with Destiny.

I'm not familiar enough with the NW economy to understand where botters will impact the xbox one platform.

I'm not familiar with NW's economy at all, but being an MMO, it's clear to me. The botters can spam some gold selling website with promises to either trade or mail your in-game character the in-game gold you buy from an unlisenced and illegal website that is well designed to make people unfamiliar with these scams feel safer. I see bots advertising those sites in Protector's Enclave currently in the PC version, there's no reason that scam couldn't work on Xbox One.
    If anything, since Xbox One owners are not familiar with MMO games and their inevitable gold sellers, I say the Xbox One is fertile ground for gold sellers to get some suckers to fall for their scheme. PWE will need to very strongly force the fact on Xbox that buying in-game currency off any website could not only get your PWE account banned, but also could get you banned from XBL entirely.

So after someone on Xbox would fall for the gold selling scam, they'd end up with no gold, a banned PWE account, a banned XBL account, and possibly stolen credit card information (depending on if it was a one-in-a-million "legit" gold selling site or a far-more-common true scam one).
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm not familiar with NW's economy at all, but being an MMO, it's clear to me. The botters can spam some gold selling website with promises to either trade or mail your in-game character the in-game gold you buy from an unlisenced and illegal website that is well designed to make people unfamiliar with these scams feel safer. I see bots advertising those sites in Protector's Enclave currently in the PC version, there's no reason that scam couldn't work on Xbox One.
    If anything, since Xbox One owners are not familiar with MMO games and their inevitable gold sellers, I say the Xbox One is fertile ground for gold sellers to get some suckers to fall for their scheme. PWE will need to very strongly force the fact on Xbox that buying in-game currency off any website could not only get your PWE account banned, but also could get you banned from XBL entirely.

So after someone on Xbox would fall for the gold selling scam, they'd end up with no gold, a banned PWE account, a banned XBL account, and possibly stolen credit card information (depending on if it was a one-in-a-million "legit" gold selling site or a far-more-common true scam one).

Xbox live players aren't noobs. They know any game item purchase outside of xbox live or xbox store is illegal. And it's clear what the punishment is.

Again, what are botters gaining? If they can't sell what they bot, they go elsewhere. Is gold the ultimate currency that can buy every item in the game? Thought that isn't the case in NW.

And can low levels(<4) trade unlimited amounts of gold? If so, that's on NW to fix. Botters don't want to level extra characters that are instantly deleted to avoid being flagged or reported for gold trading. So if there is no restriction on gold trading, the easiest thing when there's a purchase, run a character named 'Asdfgghjkl' (for example) through the tutorial, level 3 by then...trade the gold from botting character to Asdfgghjk, then to the customer. Gold botters won't be giving the buyer Xbox live accounts as mule accounts to complete the gold purchase, doesn't work. That's a big difference from PC.

Again, any extra work botters have to do to sell their botted stuff, the less likely they are to try.
  • Options
    ulikirasulikiras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, it's beautiful present
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    To all xbone players: have fun refining your legendary artifact equipment with a controller.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    djarkaan wrote: »
    To all xbone players: have fun refining your legendary artifact equipment with a controller.
    Actually, it would probably be easier as with the XBOX, it will all be streamlined. For example, it could be as easy as A, down, down, A, Y. I know when I play DCUO, it is far easier to manage my inventory (as well as the whole interface as a whole) with the controller than it is with the mouse and keyboard.

I'm just hoping that some of these XBOX controls for the console version make it into the PC version for those of us with PC XBOX Controllers.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Actually, it would probably be easier as with the XBOX, it will all be streamlined. For example, it could be as easy as A, down, down, A, Y. I know when I play DCUO, it is far easier to manage my inventory (as well as the whole interface as a whole) with the controller than it is with the mouse and keyboard.

I'm just hoping that some of these XBOX controls for the console version make it into the PC version for those of us with PC XBOX Controllers.

After the Xbox Closed Beta (whether or not I get invited.... really hope I do though), if there is no mention of that from anyone official, I'll be making a thread about it in General Discussion, since there is no Xbox Forum yet. That really needs to be added, xpadder can only do so much.

Also, on a related note: Elder Scrolls Online PC version actually has full Skryim-style menu driven controller support, but guess what? The developers completely disabled the feature, and are saving it only for console release, despite being coded into the PC version already. You can find it with some slash command, and use the mouse wheel to go up and down like a d-pad on a controller.

Developers - Please do NOT be like Zenimax with ESO. Please give PC players the option to fully use a gamepad with all the menu system/ui/etc that the Xbox One will have.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Did anyone who signed up for beta get a acknowledgement email saying something? Isn't that the norm, didn't get anything.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Did anyone who signed up for beta get a acknowledgement email saying something? Isn't that the norm, didn't get anything.
    Nay. For me, it went to a confirmation page and said something to the effect of being contacted if I am selected.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I understand beta being on a seperate server, but once xbox client goes live are they still planning on having separate PC and XBox servers - two completely seperated player bases?

They don't have enough players to handle decent PvP ELO matching on the PC server - they knowingly decided to split the playerbase in half??

Are they doing everything they can think of to fail?

shooting-self-in-foot.jpg
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    eldarth wrote: »
    I understand beta being on a seperate server, but once xbox client goes live are they still planning on having separate PC and XBox servers - two completely seperated player bases?

They don't have enough players to handle decent PvP ELO matching on the PC server - they knowingly decided to split the playerbase in half??

In this case it's microsoft's rules. I've seen other mmo developers talk about this directly. A server for XBone is not allowed to be the same server as the PC server.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    eldarth wrote: »

From this early article, there will be no cross-play between platforms. So yes, separate servers. Things do change and that article is a half a year old but Microsoft doesn't like to share its XBOX One Access with cross play platforms. I'm sure Cryptic would want to, but it's probably Microsoft's call.

Some more info for those wondering about functionality with the Controller (I highlighted the part about cross-play):

The biggest alteration, Velasquez points out, is the shift from a keyboard-and-mouse interface to something that works better with controllers. Instead of the PC version's floating menus, the console edition sports a "tray" of commands in a controller-like formation across the bottom of the screen, with attacks, spells, and other abilities mapped to the triggers and face buttons for quick access. (Holding LB swaps them out for less frequently used abilities, like dailies or artifact powers.)

"From the beginning, we always received feedback that this would be great with a controller, and we even have a bunch of PC users who, using just a 360 controller, have come up with keybind files," Velasquez says. "I basically just plugged a controller into my PC and messed around with different configurations. At this point now, I can't stand playing our game with a mouse and keyboard. I actually like playing it with a controller; it just feels better."

Other changes are less noticeable, but still significant. On Xbox One, for example, in-game friend lists will be tied to Xbox Live, rather than Neverwinter's existing lists, and there won't be cross-play with the PC version. (There's no word yet on how or if that'll affect other platforms, as Perfect World would only comment on Xbox One plans.)

It's also worth noting that, if their plans are still the same from that old article, the console version might not launch with all the modules, but will instead get them in a staggered format.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It's also worth noting that, if their plans are still the same from that old article, the console version might not launch with all the modules, but will instead get them in a staggered format.

Look up articles on IGN, Joystiq, and some other sites about the newest news on January 15th. Some of them (forgot which at the moment unfortunately), contacted PWE asking what content will come to Xbox. Their response to them on January 15th was that the Xbox version will launch with Tyranny of the Dragons and everything that Module included. The "rest" will come later, but in my opinion TOTD is a pretty good starting point for a new version of a formerly only PC game. It's also a HELL of a lot better job than Sega did with updating PSU between the 360 servers and the PS2/PC cross-server.

PS Off-topic @ zebular - I know you aren't in control of this, but it's been nearing 5 days since my first post on these forums now, and I still cannot make new threads. All sources I could find say I should've been able to make new threads either 72 hours (3 days) or 4 days after my first post. Do you happen to know more specifics regarding this?
  • Options
    rhynorhyno Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was hoping for xbox 360 also. I guess it may be time for that xbox one now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    PS Off-topic @ zebular - I know you aren't in control of this, but it's been nearing 5 days since my first post on these forums now, and I still cannot make new threads. All sources I could find say I should've been able to make new threads either 72 hours (3 days) or 4 days after my first post. Do you happen to know more specifics regarding this?
    All I can say is that for many users, it is about a week's time. If you cannot make new threads by Monday (Jan 26th), please PM me.

Safe travels,
    Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

PWE Community Moderator