test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crixus guardian fighter build (guide)

crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2015 in The Guard Barracks
Ok I thought it was time to post my build since I have been testing much in both pve and pvp so I will give tips on both here :)

***Updated 05/11/14***

The build I have isn't really much different from my old one. It's still conqueror and based on both survival and offense. I made this build because I wanted to be good at all parts of the game, and not be restricted. It's mainly for pvp and solo play but still works well for high end pvp too. You might need to use more skill to survive than just relying on defensive stats since this build has a lot of dps so is not built for max survivbility.

This build also doesn't require you to be maxed out or needing to have crazy high lvl gear. I still only have normal vorpal and lvl 7s but made it to page 14 leaderboards and atm have a 4-1 K/D ratio so it works well. And I don't use red glyphs either, or lots of buffs.

My build is swordmaster but it doesn't matter what one you choose since they aren't that different and choosing one depends on your playstyle and favorite skills.

PROS:

-Very balanced in both dps and survivability
-able to play any content effectively
-excels at solo and pvp
-Doesn't need top end gear like some builds do

CONS:

-Isn't the best possible build for pve
-Not best possible dps, for that you will need STR instead of DEX and the STR belt, but that's a simple change. STR belt is best for pvp in my opinion and is how gf reach very high dps.

Heres my char
gcqxzMQ.png

I use vorpal enchant since I do mainly burst dmg and want to always hit hard and i have a decent crit rate. But other options like plague or terror are also good. If your mainly pve then the plague/terror would be best option.

And my armor enchant is soulforge, only a lesser atm but still works well and the best option in my opinion.

I'm currently using purified black ice set since it is the most tanky set in the game and with the right artifacts, equipment and enchants you can still do high dps so it's a very good balance and I would say it's the best pvp set. Again though if your mainly pve then usually a choice like knight captian, Draconic or high general would be best, for the team buffs and stats. Or if you really do like the just dps playstyle then either corrupted ice set or timeless hero. Mainly dps would be more for solo play though since gf usually needs to slot KV, ET and ITF in dungeons so being tanky helps a lot.

My stats
ho2w9sU.png

My boon choices

5YO4sQ3.png
Elven resolve is a good choice for the last boon, increased guard gain is great.
Crixus - PVP GF
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by crixus8000 on

Comments

• crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    SezNIDy.png
    None of the last choices are great unless you use lifesteal then choose endless consumption. I just went with Augmented thayan bastion because I like it. Some people like rampaging madness but i have tried it and didn't like it at all.
    _________

CNiRvLB.png
    Rousing warmth is a good choice for a little extra dps so that's why I chose it. Winters bounty is a good all round choice and shared survival is good if you do pve a lot to help your team.

c2halJV.png

my feats
    yfJsyvk.png
    I chose increased dmg for griffons wrath feat, it also increases knight challenge dmg by 10% but this is only a personal choice and is not needed.

Good companion choices:

The cat followed by an ioun stone should always be your active companions since they give much stats, making your character stronger and the cat is best for that but ioun stones are second best. These companions listed below are some good ones to have for there active bonuses though, making your character stronger with different bonuses.

Pig: The pig is a very underrated companion. It gives you 1% of you max hitpoints per second, every second you are controlled. I have 48k hp so if I was proned or controlled in some way by an enemy for even 2 seconds I would gain 960 hitpoints. This added with heals and regen can make you much more tanky.

Lillend: When you use a daily power everyone in the party gets healed 2% of there max hp, so every time I use a daily I get 960 hp.

pseudodragon: You have a chance when attacking to gain some guard meter, this can help you keep guard up much longer, so if you can afford it, it's a great choice.

Rust monster: you have a 25% chance to put a stack on your attacker for 5% dmg debuff and it can stack up to 5 times, decreasing them damage so you can survive more.

Will-o-wisp: Increases your control bonus and control resist, allowing you to stun/prone enemies longer and decrease the time you are controlled for, making you more tanky and a better controller.

And any companion with good stats is useful, like cave bear that gives 400 hp and even more when upgraded. There is many companions that gives bonus stats and are usually the cheap ones.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    PVE

This is my usual power setup for pve
    fww3i7P.png

If I need to tank or kite then I use this setup
    cUONqjl.png

Now with guardian fighter buffs you can also be a full team buff and keep your team alive while making them deal more dmg this is the setup I use for dungeons where I need to give the team more defense and make them deal more dmg. You wont be dealing much dmg yourself but that doesn't matter since you will be giving so much for the team.

HWj5z04.png

or with ET instead of Iron warrior

And this is my dps setup. Steel blitz procs off lunge and ET a lot since they hit many targets and you can switch out KV for any power you want really, just depends on the party and dungeon. I would usually go with anvil of doom if i was doing full dps.

DcoGwec.png

________

PVE Tips:

1. Defense is perfect around 3.5 -4k there is no need to make it any higher and if you do, you will be wasting points since it will start losing effectiveness.

2. Hp is the best defense stat, mixed with regen it can keep you alive very well. The more hp you have means the more you regenerate from regen stat. Lifesteal is great too of course, I just prefer regen and its very hard getting all stats high. In defense slots, always have hp.

3.If your a swordmaster you can use steel defense class feature and fighters recovery daily together. when you use the daily you will get 5 seconds of immunity to dmg, allowing you to heal to full hp safely, this can make you very tanky and keep you alive in most fights.

4. Knights valor makes you take 50% of dmg from the hits you allies take so using supremacy of steel and guarded assault together means you are reflecting back much dmg to many enemies and if you have lifesteal you will keep gaining hp like crazy.

5. When tanking or kiting, use iron warrior, into the frey and enforced threat together, they all give you stamina regen so you will have permanent guard and enforced threat + iron warrior makes you gain much threat.

6. Gf can deal crazy dps to a single target now, if you use knights challenge + into the frey with mark ability you can deal around 150% more dmg plus the extra mark dmg. I have hit near 100ks using this. It useless in pvp but for solo play or certain dungeon bosses it means you can kill them very quickly.

7. Bloodcrystal raven skull is the best artifact for surviving in pve in my opinion. It basically gives you all your hp back in temporary hitpoints so if your low hp its like a second life, allowing you to survive and have time to regen. Its activation is also instant and can be used while running. Most content is easy sure so it's not needed but skirmishes and dungeons like Lol you can get hit over 100k if you make 1 mistake or if you are using KV and one of your party makes a mistake it can be deadly so having blood crystal allows you to stay alive and therefore keep helping the team.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    PVP

This is my Power setup for pvp

SDHDtcZ.png
    If i need to i might swap lunging strike for a different power, depending on the situation. Flourish is good against rogues, griffons wrath is good when you need to hold a player still and kill them like when fighting a cw or you could use frontline surge for more control.

PVP tips

1. High hp and regen is the best defense for pvp.

2. Don't stand still using aggravating strike and shield slam (the 2 at wills from behind shield) they will get you killed in pvp, you need to keep block facing your enemy so they can never get behind you so since these 2 powers are slow and not very damaging, you should never really use them unless you practice and get the timing right when fighting a class like cw.

3.Chain your attacks together for maximum dmg. Like use lunging strike, followed with bull charge, then anvil of doom right away so all 3 are together.

How to fight each class

Great Weapon fighter: To beat a gwf, its much like mod3, just use full rotation then when they go unstoppable kite them (run around/dodging them) or if you have high shield them move around them while blocking until its over, then use rotation again, repeat until they die. The gwf is only strong when in unstoppable so don't fight them when they use it or you will waste powers on there high DR. The only few exceptions are if they are weak players and you can still finish them, or if they have low hp(under 40%) then use anvil of doom to quickly finish them off.

Hunter ranger: Hr is very strong and has too much deflect and regen for you to waste powers on them so you can only win by chaining them together, dealing high dmg and make sure to prone them as much as you can before dealing other hits since you cant deflect while proned, and therefore cant debuff the duration on stuns or take less dmg so proning them is the best way to kill them. Also never stand in the hr thorn ward, keep on the edges until you have an opening to attack them. The hr now uses boar charge a lot to follow up with dot attacks, so when they run towards you or use marauders rush make sure to quickly block there boar charge (they usually strike you in the back with it) so turn fast. Ranged specced hr players are easier to kill (usually), they don't have much defense so a few rotations and they will be killed but it's the combat specced that is hard. The main way to have any hope is to have very high dps and get them with a full rotation a few times, don't let them heal and don't mess up.

Control wizard: Cw deal too high dmg for a long fight so make it quick, keep pressure and chain your attacks. Having lunging strike and bull charge is great so you can keep staying close. The fight with cw requires much skill but its simple, just learn when to block and don't stand still or too far away from them, you need to keep attacking and never give them an opening to cast a spell. When you get close to a cw there first instinct is usually to teleport behind you or away then use bull charge on them right away, it will get them 99% of the time and then you can follow up with strong powers, they don't usually expect that. Also remember you can use bull charge or some daily's if you are frozen. A strong rotation is best, all your powers together for max dps can finish most quick.

Trickster rogue: To beat a rogue its all about hunting them during stealth. They will fling daggers at you so follow where the daggers are coming from and once you get close enough to a rogue in stealth you can see them so then prone them. Frontline surge is amazing for fighting rogues so if you have it, use it. frontline where the knifes are coming from and quickly run to them and use a prone. When fighting a rogue, never stand still, keep moving around so it increases your chances of finding them and makes it hard for them to hit duelists flurry on you. If a rogue uses impossible to catch, don't bother hitting them, but see if they forget to stealth again because you might get a second to hit them after they use that power. You will need fast reflexes to win though, hitting them during stealth is the best way but once you get the opening you need to be fast. And always look out for there dodges, it's best to strike just after they dodge so they don't have any left for your attack.

Devoted cleric: Clerics have much defense and heals so keep up the pressure, its a lot like fighting a cw apart from you wont be getting damaged much. If its a group battle I would say go for the cleric first unless there is a very weak player but cleric will keep there team alive so quickly finish him and the rest will die easy. Also don't just waste your prone, only use bull charge or a stun when the cleric has already used a dodge so the chance of them using one right away again is unlikely.

Guardian fighter: A gf on gf fight is all about who can get behind the other gf shield better and who has the most guard meter or the best tricks. When fighting them keep your guard up and facing them as much as you can, quickly jump behind them and use a prone, then full rotation, then back to defending. Also try some trickery once you have played much. Run away making them think your facing the other way and they will lower guard to use there powers or chase you, then use bull charge. Keeping your distance is also good, to give you time to regain your guard meter but be careful of bull charge and lunging strike.

Scourge warlock
    : Fighting a warlock is almost exactly the same as fighting a wizard so use the same tactics. Warlocks in pvp almost all use Harrostorm, This puts green flame around you, dealing weak dmg but if they mark you it will prone you. They can only prone you with this if your guard is lowers or if they are behind you so once they land this, keep your guard facing them and most will try to quickly sprint behind you, that's when you can follow them with guard to stop the prone or take a risk and get a bull charge in, allowing you to use follow up powers.

Thanks for reading and I hoped it helped. If you have any questions just ask here, send me in game mail or pm me :)

hc4ot18.png

34CAetg.png
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Easily the best GF guide so far
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thanks brother, enjoyed the read

PS: But for the love of Torm its "teleport" not "teliport"
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    edited September 2014
    Glad you like it guys, thanks. And thanks emilemo for pointing out an error, I'm sure I have made a few lol :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    re7joice wrote: »
    thanks for the strategy guide, i have good gf toon but not really good on strategy, specially against another gf, hr, tr on same gs. i like pvp but cannot do it much because i rarely have good ping. oh and we have met before on my 15k pve gwf, but i don't have the chance to test skills with you because my team has very low gs lol.

Sorry about your team lol but if you ever want to team up or test anything just ask :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • urterrorurterror Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Awesome Off-Tank guide Crixus ^^
    I hope to meet you in any arena for a 1v1 also because the builds are similar (i got a little bit hp and +400def, less Power and ArmPen);
    I have some questions for you, I hope you can answer:
    - Which Offensive Enchants and lvl?
    - I've to rebuild my pg (artifact weapon is near 60 and i hope for a CON belt drop. or DEX too).. so, it's better raise Power or we need all that ArmPen?

Thx ^_^
    paladin_signature_by_whiitelotus-d330x28.png

| Cìrdan - GF | Cìrdan The Lightbringer - OP |
    < Guild: Pugno Fiammante >
  • lordshitpostlordshitpost Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This guide is useful, if you like to do PvP very often only.
    As a PvE player, you would have too much ArmPen, not enough defense (for a good ITF buff) as well as "too much" HP (which isn't wanted, when having 0 Lifeleach).

You can do PvE content with a GF as long as you are geared, but your guide is far from a good PvE built. That's why you value Ravenskull that high, even good GFs don't need it anymore. You just have not enough sustain with your build.
    For PvE Vanguards banner is superior in terms of group utility, but without lifesteal you are bound to a defensive artifact.

Last but not least, hiding behind your shield is something you don't want to do anymore. Nowadays a good PvE GF would only raise his shield when anticipating a huge blow. Your guard meter is full most of the time!

For PvE- and interested players: CN GF PoV.
    edited September 2014
    urterror wrote: »
    Awesome Off-Tank guide Crixus ^^
    I hope to meet you in any arena for a 1v1 also because the builds are similar (i got a little bit hp and +400def, less Power and ArmPen);
    I have some questions for you, I hope you can answer:
    - Which Offensive Enchants and lvl?
    - I've to rebuild my pg (artifact weapon is near 60 and i hope for a CON belt drop. or DEX too).. so, it's better raise Power or we need all that ArmPen?

Thx ^_^

Ty ^^

And atm we don't need a lot of power i find, i tried with 6-7k and my dmg didnt drop much by going down to 4k but the arm pen is good and i can hit quite hard. I think its just about finding a good balance. Atm i have a mix of power and arm pen enchants in offence slots, they are all lvl 7.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    As a PvE player, you would have too much ArmPen, not enough defense (for a good ITF buff) as well as "too much" HP (which isn't wanted, when having 0 Lifeleach).

You can do PvE content with a GF as long as you are geared, but your guide is far from a good PvE built. That's why you value Ravenskull that high, even good GFs don't need it anymore. You just have not enough sustain with your build.
    For PvE Vanguards banner is superior in terms of group utility, but without lifesteal you are bound to a defensive artifact.

Last but not least, hiding behind your shield is something you don't want to do anymore. Nowadays a good PvE GF would only raise his shield when anticipating a huge blow. Your guard meter is full most of the time!

You are wrong. Lifesteal is good yes but since most gf use KV and ITF 99% of the time then lifesteal is only really coming from powers like ET so lifesteal is not that great unless you are dps pve gf but then you wont be wanted in dungeons that much.

And i never said anywhere that i "need" ravenskull lol i just have it ranked up so i use it and it works well. I also never said i have my shield raised all the time, where are you getting this info from ?

Also the gf on the vid you posted uses the exact encounter setup i posted already so whats the deal ? I have killed the boss faster than that with 14k gs and less in the group. You have never met me in game so i have no idea why you have posted here with false assumptions, i never have problems in dungeons with dealing dps or tanking.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • friartukfriartuk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I am largely a PvE player but still this build piques my interest. In particular, I do get bored of grinding dailies with so little damage when I really don't need to be a serious tank, e.g. the daily dragon quest, IWD in general, etc. I currently switch skills, artifacts and other gear for more damage but having a Conqueror build would certainly make these areas and even some dungeons more fun with people who do not need my extreme tanking skills and of course for soloing. I also enjoy the open PvP areas in IWD.
    However, I am mindful of wanting to tank well too. How do you find VT and the epic dragon skirmish and dungeon?
    edited September 2014
    friartuk wrote: »
    I am largely a PvE player but still this build piques my interest. In particular, I do get bored of grinding dailies with so little damage when I really don't need to be a serious tank, e.g. the daily dragon quest, IWD in general, etc. I currently switch skills, artifacts and other gear for more damage but having a Conqueror build would certainly make these areas and even some dungeons more fun with people who do not need my extreme tanking skills and of course for soloing. I also enjoy the open PvP areas in IWD.
    However, I am mindful of wanting to tank well too. How do you find VT and the epic dragon skirmish and dungeon?

I can do any dungeon easy bro, vt is no problem for me and like i said, i still only have lvl 7 enchants. The regen is great and keeps me alive when mixed with some encounters. It's a good all round build but is best at solo and pvp for sure :)

Edit: The dragon skirmish enemies can hit very hard so protectors can hold guard up longer to survive more but a few days ago i was doing the epic and i had a low gs team and 3 people died at the boss so me and 1 other guy was left, i had to switch to mostly dps powers to kill him and we did it. 2 people fighting the boss and his dmg burst was not enough to take my hp down and my dps worked well so its a very versatile build.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Good job putting together a viable build that is not glyph cheezing. It allows oneself to keep their self-esteem high and not forego all their principles to get a PvP win.

Honor > winning.

Good luck out there :)
    edited September 2014
    Good job putting together a viable build that is not glyph cheezing. It allows oneself to keep their self-esteem high and not forego all their principles to get a PvP win.

Honor > winning.

Good luck out there :)

Honor > winning. for sure ^^
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ktemboktembo Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Nice guide, just wondering what set would you recommend for those who don't have full black ice sets?
  • kdjfhsdkhfkdjfhsdkhf Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2014

Can someone point me to a good straight up PVE DPS build/guide or something similar to the video?

Thanks!
    edited September 2014
    ktembo wrote: »
    Nice guide, just wondering what set would you recommend for those who don't have full black ice sets?

Edit:

Purified ice set is the most tanky in the game i would reccomend that if you want to survive well. But other good sets in pve are Knight captain and high general for good balance of stats and team buffs and for your dps i would say timeless hero or corrupt black ice. Also grand regent is good for survival too but just not as good as purified set:)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    kdjfhsdkhf wrote: »
    Can someone point me to a good straight up PVE DPS build/guide or something similar to the video?

Thanks!

This is a dps build.....but just tanky too. If you want just pve then swap purified ice set for corrupted or timeless hero set for just dps and then change regen for lifesteal and there you go :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    crixus8000 wrote: »
    This is a dps build.....but just tanky too. If you want just pve then swap purified ice set for corrupted or timeless hero set for just dps and then change regen for lifesteal and there you go :)

Ok thanks, I only asked as the guy I quoted said this wasnt a dps build, and you agreed with him, so I thought I would ask. I ended up finding his guide, its all in german, but it is pretty straight forward :)
    edited September 2014
    kdjfhsdkhf wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I only asked as the guy I quoted said this wasnt a dps build, and you agreed with him, so I thought I would ask. I ended up finding his guide, its all in german, but it is pretty straight forward :)

No this is a dps build. and very high dps too. I agreed that it wasn't the best possible pve build because most pve gf go for just all defensive stats where I like being tanky and able to deal good dmg too :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2014
    No this is a dps build. and very high dps too :) I agreed that it wasn't the best possible pve build because most pve gf go for just defensive stats where i have gone for high dps stats too so this would work very well for you.

Thanks again! I'll compare it to what he has and try to make a choice or a compromise then, I would like to do some PVP as well, so I might just borrow your build :)
  • psycobrabillypsycobrabilly Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Awesome guide Crixus. How do you have your crit chance up that high? We have the same build and mainly the same gear, the purified BI ring and mainhand are the only difference, I even have the same boons. Also you have 700 more arp than me and I use all rank 8 darks in my offence slots. It would be nice to get my crit up higher(its only at 1000 in pvp) since I use vorp, but I dont want to sacrifice arp. Anyway this build is more fun to play than kv turtle perma daily.
    Cheers.
    edited September 2014
    Awesome guide Crixus. How do you have your crit chance up that high? We have the same build and mainly the same gear, the purified BI ring and mainhand are the only difference, I even have the same boons. Also you have 700 more arp than me and I use all rank 8 darks in my offence slots. It would be nice to get my crit up higher(its only at 1000 in pvp) since I use vorp, but I dont want to sacrifice arp. Anyway this build is more fun to play than kv turtle perma daily.
    Cheers.

Thanks man. And my crit is the same as yours, I just have stone on. I also want my crit higher but that's only with higher enchants and arti wep, I will have it one day but don't really need it atm since with conq you get around 30% chance anyway :)
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycobrabillypsycobrabilly Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Cool man, thx for the reply.:)
  • lnsolveelnsolvee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited October 2014
    Hey crixus mate, I was wondering, what enchants do you use? Offensive/defensive?
    I am Elros the Guardian Fighter.
    edited October 2014
    lnsolvee wrote: »
    Hey crixus mate, I was wondering, what enchants do you use? Offensive/defensive?

Hi bro. I use radients in all defense slots and a mix of arm pen and power in offense slots atm but my power is going up so soon i might swap 1 or 2 out for extra crit.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lnsolveelnsolvee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited October 2014
    Hi bro. I use radients in all defense slots and a mix of arm pen and power in offense slots atm but my power is going up so soon i might swap 1 or 2 out for extra crit.

Dayum that was a fast answer, thank you mate. I'm switching to dragonborn probably today (I didn't want halfing because they are small) and dragonborn is near the same so. I might base myself a bit on your build and see how it goes :)
    I am Elros the Guardian Fighter.
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PVP

Great Weapon fighter: when they go unstoppable kite them (run around/dodging them)

Why so? you're afraid of the 5% damage reduction given by Unstoppable ?