test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Scourge Warlock

Comments

• iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    orodalf wrote: »
    This power seems really, really cool. Love lasers. :) However, there are a few things about the implementation I dislike. Firstly, the fact that you have to hold down the key to cast it is very irritating, as moving becomes very difficult. I suggest that it be a click-to-stop-casting instead of a hold-to-cast. Secondly, I think that this shouldn't be a targeted skill-- let it be directed where we will.

This power is really, really clunky and requires a ton of maintenance. I'm not sure how that can be improved upon, but this is just my impression.

Definitely agree with both of these , Dreadtheft is a really nice skill but trying to move at the same time as keeping it firing is a total nightmare and being fixed to a specific target even after that target has died is silly, the Curse power is a pain in the *** to maintain properly .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Premium Packs
    Don't have access to Guardian of Neverwinter Pack and Knight of the Feywild Pack. Only Hunter Ranger Booster Pack works.
  • ggunchggunch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited July 2014
    Just wanted to chime in here. I have seen a great many posts about gaining dark spirals on non cursed targets. The mechanic is working as intended, the skill Dark Spiral Aura reads that you gain a dark spiral for landing the killing blow on any target or if one of your cursed targets gets killed. Everyone seemed to be under the impression that the only way to get a spiral was to have a cursed target die but you can get them by landing killing blows on non cursed targets as well.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    General feedback

The SW blade is just a DC symbol with new skin. The same disgusting posture = lazy work. Sprint is horrendous. The hunched stance is horrendous. This is as far as I go with testing. When I play a class it has to appeal to me or I wont play it at all. That goes for how it looks, how its powers look, how it's weapons look etc. Being OP or FotM means nothing if one of the above is missing. The SW is a disappointment as it is now

EDIT + Feedback

Tab Mark - I already have a GF
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i cant see spot for sw in pve teams atm cw will easy out preform it in aoe, team utily, control so looks like this will be another only pvp[ class like hr was/COLOR]
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Issue: Neverdeath Graveyard: Wheels Within Wheels quest, one of the seals (in the top near Gnolls) at the foot of the statue I do not see a Shield or a Wheel, and there is a small bit of white sparkles but nothing I can press the F Button on to do the seal. Currently at Level 27 Warlock and kinda stumped...

Do I need to just level past Neverdeath to advance? Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!
    va8Ru.gif
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Some feedback after playing the Warlock for a bit:

1. Fix the walk/run animation - it looks bad and feels clunky/silly.

2. The sprint just doesn't feel right. I like the shadowy effect, but the position the character takes w/ the dagger is weird, and it just isn't as responsive in terms of getting out of danger. Personally, I think the fire teleport effect that the legion demons use would be far better - just recolor it to use the green balefire.

3. The tab mechanic just feels tacked on. I understand that it has a synergy w/ several powers, but it's too much of an afterthought, and too easily forgotten in the heat of battle. What if, instead of acting like a GF's mark, you instead hit tab to toggle "curse mode" on yourself - it has 3 charges, (which replenish over time), and simply applies the curse to whatever target(s) you attack, up to 3? Maybe have it also provide a passive buff to the health returned via lifesteal, while toggled on as well.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Some feedback after playing the Warlock for a bit:

1. Fix the walk/run animation - it looks bad and feels clunky/silly.

2. The sprint just doesn't feel right. I like the shadowy effect, but the position the character takes w/ the dagger is weird, and it just isn't as responsive in terms of getting out of danger. Personally, I think the fire teleport effect that the legion demons use would be far better - just recolor it to use the green balefire.

3. The tab mechanic just feels tacked on. I understand that it has a synergy w/ several powers, but it's too much of an afterthought, and too easily forgotten in the heat of battle. What if, instead of acting like a GF's mark, you instead hit tab to toggle "curse mode" on yourself - it has 3 charges, (which replenish over time), and simply applies the curse to whatever target(s) you attack, up to 3? Maybe have it also provide a passive buff to the health returned via lifesteal, while toggled on as well.

1) Also the Hands looks like they're constantly groping something, hehe. My thought is to roll a Gnome if they don't change the posture and animations. That will probably look the least awkward.

2) Isn't is basically the reskinned GWF ability? I believe GWF also get CC immunity and DR with their sprint. I wonder whose is the copy of the others.

3) Spreading Curse dilutes the damage bonus it applies. Have you considered just rebinding it to another key that you can use more like an encounter power?
    edited July 2014
    Feedback from getting to Level 27:

Character Look: Loving the armor thus far. Some of the Mainhands are cool, some are meh... The Grimoire seems to be an after thought, but looks cool with armor on.

Walk/Jump/Stance: Great oogily moogily is it not appealing. I'm sure someone worked hard on it, but honestly it really needs to be improved. Warlocks should be haughty... "I made a deal with a Devil, and the Devil will lose because of my superior will!", that's the kind of attitude I'm looking for. :)

Powers: Honestly, I'm truly loving the animations I'm seeing on them. It feels like a Warlock, and it is NOT easy. Something I am enjoying also. You must be constantly looking to maximize your Tab/Curse on either a single elite/boss or multiple little adds. It will take a while to become truly proficient with the Class and I think that is awesome... I'll need to do a lot more level 60 testing to see how it compares to the other classes, but I like how it works thus far.

The class does struggle when a lot of adds swarm you, but I feel the DPS of the Warlock will become outstanding in a party environment where a GF/GWF is holding the bad guys attention... As for bosses, I can see the Warlock absolutely melting them. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • nisdiddumsnisdiddums Member Posts: 81 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    Thanks everyone for the responses so far!
    As always, we are actively monitoring the thread, and will follow-up with updates that will address your issues.

Regarding the animations - We are still iterating on them internally, but will work to improve them to make them better fit the "attitude" of a Warlock.
    Lots of great feedback in here that we will be taking into consideration :)
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gabryel wrote: »
    1) Also the Hands looks like they're constantly groping something, hehe. My thought is to roll a Gnome if they don't change the posture and animations. That will probably look the least awkward.

Do you mean a halfling, cuz there aren't gnomes (yet) AFAIK?

2) Isn't is basically the reskinned GWF ability? I believe GWF also get CC immunity and DR with their sprint. I wonder whose is the copy of the others.

Well, I suppose you could say that, since GWFs also get a "sprint" ability. Still, the way the warlock runs while using said ability seems off. I'd kinda almost advocate for an "anime ninja run", though the legion demon fire teleport just looks cooler and is a better fit, IMO.

3) Spreading Curse dilutes the damage bonus it applies. Have you considered just rebinding it to another key that you can use more like an encounter power?

TBH, I'm not about to rebind tab just because a class ability is underperforming, IMO. Personally, it shouldn't just be another mark ability - if it were something you toggled on, and provided some more perceivable benefit when triggered, it wouldn't be as easily overlooked. In most groups in PvE, in the time it takes to mark an enemy, you probably could have already killed them. Sure, it may be more useful vs stronger enemies, but it still doesn't produce the obvious and noticeable benefit of a CW's spell mastery slot, GWFs unstoppable, or spell cast from divine mode for a DC. IIRC, there's a class ability that makes an enemy take DoT while cursed. Perhaps that should be rolled into the default ability, and said class ability reworked, (like to increase the DoT, etc).

My responses are above, in red.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Vampiric Embrace
    Healing from this power can be deflected.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Warlock "sprint" looks just as bad. It looks like a man/woman on fire, running for a pool of water.

Haha

defenityl very weird - I thought i wasnt seeing right. Those flashes!!!! :D omg it made me laugh soo hard
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Congratulations on the sounds and effects though, like someone previously said, it really DOES feel like a warlock and very different from CW, I was worried they could look or play too similar.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited July 2014
    Question for Devs or anyone who may have PARs'd it...

Blood Pact of Cania (Heroic Feat): Is the 5% Extra Damage from the Constitution stat Additive or Multiplicative?

Thanks! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    Question for Devs or anyone who may have PARs'd it...

Blood Pact of Cania (Heroic Feat): Is the 5% Extra Damage from the Constitution stat Additive or Multiplicative?

Thanks! :)

It works like the Disciple of Strength/Dexterity Feats from the martial classes, or the 5-Point Feat from the CW. It acts as if you had 1/2/3/4/5 Constitution more than what you have, for the Damage calculation.
    So a 20 Con SW with 5 Points in that Feat calculates the damage as is having 25 Con - without getting the extra HP from 5 more Con, obviously.
    edited July 2014
    mircalla83 wrote: »
    It works like the Disciple of Strength/Dexterity Feats from the martial classes, or the 5-Point Feat from the CW. It acts as if you had 1/2/3/4/5 Constitution more than what you have, for the Damage calculation.
    So a 20 Con SW with 5 Points in that Feat calculates the damage as is having 25 Con - without getting the extra HP from 5 more Con, obviously.
    Awesome, thank you sir! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I love the sprint animation and graphics.

The run animation looks horrible however the walk is fine.

Infernal Spheres sometimes bugs and not cast when you move just as you cast or right after casting.

There seems to be a global cooldown for when each sphere attacks, and it feels way too long, for how low of dama

thats my feedback from playing last night to level 16.
    edited July 2014
    Do low level characters get some kind of damage buff when they solo the artifact quest you get at level 21 or whatever ? anybody know?
  • ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I tried the SW before reading here, and I thought that the posture/animation looked weird, but couldn't put my finger on what exactly was wrong. Reading here about comparisons with chimpanzees made me laugh, they are spot on! For some additional amusement, I recommend to look at your SW from the side while he is running while shift is pressed. Focus on the legs, it looks like you have 4, 6 or even 8 legs, like you sometimes see in cartoons to illustrate a fast runner (can we have a feat that augments that into a swirly spiral? :D ).

Would be so great if someone could make a youtube video showing a SW from the side running with shift and chasing some other character while the benny hill title music plays in the background. To me this is not an important issue, I mainly care about the GF, but just think about this going live: the playerbase will lie at floor laughing and all kind of creative stuff will come up like demanding to be able to craft bananas the next summer festival event to troll fellow SW players when trading. ("Let me pay you in the currency of your ancestors")
  • murmazmurmaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not enough incentive to use this "20%" buff in the heat of pvp (being chased) when you can just focus on dps. It needs to be buffed or at least made more useful (The small encounter effects are not worth the removing of the curse in most cases IMO). If the final Scourge Warlock class mechanic remains unchanged I will definitely rather stick to my GWF or TR.
  • mdpoysermdpoyser Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Im enjoying the class so far, fun to play. Just hit level 20, the first three dailies are a little underwhelming, the one that is supposed to heal you doesn't heal for very much which was a little disappointing. The damnation tree seems like it would be really fun except that you can only have one shadow puppet at a time. Should add a feat that at least ups it to 3. I was thinking about heading down the bottom tree to check out the healing, esp in groups, seems like it has a lot of potential
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Damage
    I've noticed a strange phenomenon where, when dealing damage, only a fraction of said damage is actually added to the enemy. Testing is inconclusive as I've not yet figured out the source, cause, or how to duplicate it reliably, but when a strike says it dealt 500 damage and only adds 120 to the running total for that combo, there's something strange going on.
  • rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Bug: Damage
    I've noticed a strange phenomenon where, when dealing damage, only a fraction of said damage is actually added to the enemy. Testing is inconclusive as I've not yet figured out the source, cause, or how to duplicate it reliably, but when a strike says it dealt 500 damage and only adds 120 to the running total for that combo, there's something strange going on.

It's a bug with the Offering To The Prisoner 2nd tier feat under the Fury tree. I finally just figured it out after wondering why I'd go from mowing down the redcap mobs in Sharandar to doing little against them. Instead of increasing damage by 5% for killing a cursed enemy, it's cutting damage down by at least 2/3's.

edit:

As a 8.3k GS lvl 60, 3k power and feats in the fury tree, I'm handling the sharandar/dread ring content pretty alright. Dreadtheft, fiery bolt (using curse for the extra AoE damage to start in on mobs) and killing flame are doing plenty of damage and the life steal that SW gear seems to naturally have is keeping me alive. But in cases where I'm suddenly not able to deal out damage (like the bug mentioned above), the sprint doesn't do much to help me survive and I'm popping potions like crazy. So while the powers seem pretty overpowering, that's also crucial for SW's to be able to survive to use them in the first place.

Hand of Blight seems far and away the most useful at-will ability for both damage and it's debuff.

The Warlock Curse mechanic doesn't seem much for good for anything other than single targets doing solo content, but it'd probably be easier to use it on multiple enemies while in a party in a dungeon or even pvp (unless warlock becomes the class that the enemy team focuses on first, but I haven't tried any pvp yet).
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ah, I just respecced and that was indeed the problem. On another note, though...

I'm not finding any defensive stat on warlock drops other than lifesteal. this can make the extremely single-target focused setup of the warlock feel exceedingly vulnerable in fights that are against more than a few enemies. in face, I'm actively scared of getting into fights with a large number of minions, as that is what has resulted in all my deaths with my warlock to date (save for the time I accidentally killed myself with Warlock's Bargain). Add in that they have no avoidance mechanic for such fights (30% damage resistance and a sprint doesn't count worth a **** here) and a class that should feel powerful just feels like getting into a fight is going to result in your death. that's not something I've ever encountered with any other class in this game. Fights against a small group of spiderlings result in the loss of 80% of my health, despite being capable of taking on bosses and ending the fight at full health.
  • crystal892fcrystal892f Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So here is my (level 53) feedback (for now):

Animations
    Nothing more needs to be said here - has been mentioned enough already.

Warlock's Curse (Tab Power)
    This power is really, really clunky and requires a ton of maintenance during combat to use. I'm not sure how that can be improved upon, but this is just my impression.
    I second that. A faster animation might help here.

Soul Puppet
    I like them. The bug that the puppet either crits every time or not at all has already been reported. But I wonder how you should stack the 20% damage bonus 5 times. There aren't as many powers. This leads me to the question:
    Do the stacks get refreshed if another one is gained? Example: I have one 20% buff running for 3 more seconds. I gain another stack (btw: are the stacks displayed via a symbol on the puppet? I didn't notice it, and it would help). Are BOTH stacks (-> 40%) refreshed to 20 seconds, or is each stack handled differently?
    Regarding its stats: It seems to have a max HP and fixed DR. I'd say, base both off the summoning warlock; max HP as percentage (i.e. 30%). It would also be nice if the puppet gets a percentage of some offensive stats (extra damage (from CON and power stat), critical chance (from CHA and critical stat), armor penetration (from INT and arp stat)).

Shadow Sprint
    PvE wise I find it hard to survive without using potions. The Shift ability is the main reason.
    harnel wrote: »
    30% damage resistance and a sprint doesn't count worth a **** here
    You either have to buff this tremendously (more DR and far lesser stamina use) or, which I prefer, change it to a teleport. Like:
    bioshrike wrote: »
    I think the fire teleport effect that the legion demons use would be far better - just recolor it to use the green balefire.

Dark Spiral Aura
    The damage from this power seems very lackluster for the required amount of charge time and the cast time. The cast time seems to force you to wait for the full three Spirals before it is worth using; the low damage makes even three Spirals not worth wasting the At-Will slot to use.
    I second that.

Hand of Blight
    I found it inferior to Eldritch Blast, but then I read:
    rodrant64 wrote: »
    Hand of Blight seems far and away the most useful at-will ability for both damage and it's debuff.
    The damage seems equal, but the attack animation of Hand of Blight seems slower than Eldritch Blasts and it also lacks an AoE on the last hit. Sure, the switch to a melee attack in close range is nice, but I don't think a warlock should be in close range in the first place. I noticed this even in PvE already; PvP surely will be worse.
    So an elaboration of rodrant would be nice. :)

Hellish Rebuke
    The self-refresh by attacking surely is nice, but the damage is obnoxious low. I suggest careful adjustment of its base damage, to not make it OP.

Deadly Curse
    I honestly don't understand this class feature. Warlock's Curse itself only deals damage the ONE time it is applied. If this class feature only increases this ONE damage tick, it's ridiculous. But maybe I get this wrong. Clarification, anyone? :)

No Pity, No Mercy
    Firstly this effect isn't displayed by any symbol on the character (just like Flames of Empowerment; this should be changed, so we really know it's even active), and secondly I find the duration too low. Seems like 2 seconds, or so. I suggest a minimum of 5 seconds to make it worthwhile.

Blades of Vanquished Armies
    Same problem as with Hellish Rebuke: damage too low.

Cursed Bite
    Nice when 3 targets are marked (though I think the damage could be buffed a bit), but not worth the slot against a single target, because it has only ONE base damage for each of the 3 possibilities. I suggest a damage change depending on the targets marked by Warlock's Curse.
    Example (3000 base damage):
    - 3 targets marked: each target gets 1000 damage (<base damage> / 3)
    - 2 targets marked: each target gets 1500 damage (<base damage> / 2)
    - 1 target marked: the target gets 3000 damage (<base damage> / 1)
    The formula might not be optimal / balanced, but this is just an example to demontrate the concept.

Dreadtheft
    My favorite power! But the usage is clunky. I think a dev already said, that a free-to-aim beam technically isn't possible (too bad, though!), but the hold-the-key-down-to-keep-it-going is VERY suboptimal. I suggest that you have to press the key once (trigger, not hold) and it beams the whole 6 seconds. How to cancel it then? The mechanics are already there: Shadow Sprint as well as another power use cancels the channeling.

Infernal Spheres
    Same problem as with Hellish Rebuke: damage too low. As already mentioned: Even at-wills outdamage it vastly!

Harrowstorm
    Regarding the curse consume: the prone lasts too short - even in PvE already. With control resist in PvP, it won't be worth slotting there at all.

Wraith's Shadow
    Same problem as with Harrowstorm: the immobilize lasts too short.

Gates of Hell
    I find the visual a bit lackluster - the oomph is missing. Also the portal stays way longer than the actual beam - intended?
    Balancewise: I'm not exactly sure how broad / big the hitbox of the beam is, but purely from the visual, it isn't very broad / big. Considering how big the portal is, a broader / bigger beam would fit and increase the chances to hit - since there (understandably) is a slight delay from the placement of the gate to the actual beam which allows players / mobs to move out of the way.

Okay, so that's it for now. Phew.
    edited July 2014
    Do low level characters get some kind of damage boost to help them do the Artifact recovery quest? my lvl 23 warlock who only has random green and blue gear was hitting enemies there for over 20k .

ucWTGay.jpg
  • mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Do low level characters get some kind of damage boost to help them do the Artifact recovery quest? my lvl 23 warlock who only has random green and blue gear was hitting enemies there for over 20k .

ucWTGay.jpg

Yes, you are technically upscaled to level 60. On top of this, you had used the Killing Flames Encounter, which is the SW's 'Execute' ability. However, for it to get the highest values of damage, the target has to be in the 10% or lower areas of remaining health, above that, it diminishes kinda rapidly, with damage that isn't worthy of mentioning earlier on.
    edited July 2014
    Ahhh , right , I have never taken notice of my damage there and have only ever run it on lvl 60 characters before so the big numbers surprised me , thanks for the quick reply.
  • l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback

Movement/Shift Skill

1: Can we if possible remove the walking as part of the Warlock Class

Would prefer to see a Float above the ground for this class (litterly just above the ground) I think it would suit the class better, alot of Warlocks/Lichs etc all use this in various games/lore/movies etc would this be possible to implement?

2: Shift Skill

This seems wrong for a Arcane/Magic class as I mentioned earlier would be nice to see a Shadow Slip Skill (Not a teleport) but almost like you vanish from the spot and go to another spot i.e slipping into the shadows and reapprearing almost like blinking

P.S The Laughing Skull so Suits this Class