test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Scourge Warlock

Comments

• mircalla83mircalla83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 36
    edited July 2014
    Idle Pose: Needs to be changes ASAP, it looks like a chimpanzee.
    Run animation: Most likely due to the elements of the default pose still integrated, it also looks monkey-like.
    Walk animation: Seems fine, except the arm positions (see Idle Pose).
    Pact Blade scaling: Pact Blades feel WAY too big, it seems as if someone just took a Cleric Symbol and replaced the Item model with a dagger. So instead of 'Look at my Symbol' it is now 'Look at my knife'. Scaling the models down by 30% in size might help there.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, the SW basically has zero cc ability ? Can anyone shed some light on that please, wont be able to test myself till later today.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • rodrant64rodrant64 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The only CC ability i've seen on SW, at least so far, is with harrowing ground if you tab while it's still in effect. It knocks the enemy up and prones them.
    Just call me Rod. Member of Grievance!
    CW: Rodrant Turnbul
    TR: Rodran
    DC: Rodrat
    GWF: ROARdrant TurnBRAWL
    Other GWF: Shieldrant
    HR: Bowdrant
    SW: Wardrant Turnlock (my main!)
    OP: Paladrant (on Preview!)
  • v1rus89v1rus89 Member Posts: 83
    edited July 2014
    As everybody said the "monkey" walk is really bad, but the thing that annoys me the most is
    the "sprint"..doesen't seem to help much when attacked by melee opponents, please make it like a shadow teleport thing.
    Rest looks pretty cool, still leveling
    Virus, Enemy Team.
  • mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Infernal Spheres seems broken. When I spawn them, they appear for half a second and then disappear with no effect. I've never even seen them float out to hit an enemy. half the time, I'm not sure that the spell has even cast.

Feedback: The walking animation and sprint. Really? Really? Not only is the graphical change while sprinting inconsistent (flashing between the nether world and concrete reality) but it looks like my warlock is a 90's psychopath chasing down her victim with a large knife. The walking hunch gives me back pain just looking at it. None of the other classes hunch; I just want my poor warlock to stand up straight before she develops major back issues. The ape like walk animation is just horrendous. I realize this is an earliest playable build of the warlock...but I would rather them have a boring jog than this thing.
  • l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Much has already been said about the "monkey" look of the Warlock. It's really, really bad. Warlocks, RP-wise, tend to be quite haughty. I imagined a much prouder posture and stance, something more elitist and arrogant. They did make a deal with the devil, and with that comes hubris.

Plus, it just looks awful.

Warlock "sprint" looks just as bad. It looks like a man/woman on fire, running for a pool of water. I was hoping for a unique dodge mechanic. Perhaps a shadow-type teleport with a brief amount of stealth at the end. It would be much more fitting to the class.

100% agree

Stature / posture needs to be changed

Sprint needs to be changed to s Slip/Walk

Shift Ability: Shadow Walk

You surround yourself with shadows and move from one position to another

- Max twice/Three times Per max Stamina bar
    - Sort of like a Teleport but Harnessing Darkness to do it
    - 8 metre Distance
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    rodrant64 wrote: »
    The only CC ability i've seen on SW, at least so far, is with harrowing ground if you tab while it's still in effect. It knocks the enemy up and prones them.

If you count roots, there is also Wraith's Shadow. Keep in mind you can only slot 3 encounters anyways. The class also has innate life steal and self healing ability.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So I've created a character that looks decent (wasn't easy with the new creator. Any plans to at least do something with hair texture or overly sparkling eyes?) only to discover he walks like a monkey. How did that happen? I didn't even get to the lvl 10 to see the sprint and I don't think I'll ever make it if I have to play a missing link. It is just wrong.
  • gabryelgabryel Member Posts: 542 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    So I've created a character that looks decent (wasn't easy with the new creator. Any plans to at least do something with hair texture or overly sparkling eyes?) only to discover he walks like a monkey. How did that happen? I didn't even get to the lvl 10 to see the sprint and I don't think I'll ever make it if I have to play a missing link. It is just wrong.

Maybe it's to show that they have big cojones?

The damage of their abilities seems way over the top though. That or the enemies on the preview server are weaker?
  • duhbreothadhduhbreothadh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Hi Devs a little feed back from getting to level 7 on the warlock, some good, some bad and a question.

Good:
    the Warlock is really fun to play even at low levels. Right out of the gate is has some interesting mechanics like the puppets and building dark spiral stacks that rewards tactical use of encounters and at-wills rather then just 'spam till its dead'. Hopefully it continues to deliver at the higher levels.

Bad:
    Animation. It been said already but I will repeat any way; the Frankenstein/zombie/gorilla walk and run animation is really not pleasant and very distracting to say the lest. Please have a look at this. Likewise the out of combat animation is just no doing it for me. The crouch/hunch thing is cool in combat but not so much when standing about. When this goes live Protectors Enclave will be packed with new warlock just like when Hunter Rangers when live. It will look like a hunchback convention. Shadow Sprint: I don't mind the mechanic of it but the animation is once again a bit....off. It just looks silly with the legs going a 3x speed and a giant knife raised over head.
    That said all the FX for powers and such has been really nice so far :).

Question:
    I don't see the ability to craft Warlock stuff in the professions yet (checked on a level 60 toon) is that still on the way?
    Azran Graves, lvl 70 SW | Lochavar, CW | Cain, TR | Panthe, HR | Karis Copperleaf, DC
    Axios Guild Officer,
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    gabryel wrote: »
    Maybe it's to show that they have big cojones?

The damage of their abilities seems way over the top though. That or the enemies on the preview server are weaker?

I've also made a female warlock. Does she have big cojones too?

Dunno about damage, didn't create any char since a long time so I don't remember, maybe those skeletons are suppose to die so fast. Also, the class is most likely going to be ner... ekhm, adjusted.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please keep the sprint and don't change it into teleport. Sprint makes SW possible to fight in melee effectively in good hands. However, can any devs explain the capstone feat of temptation?? Is it means that when we heal ourself, our allies will also be healed no matter where they are?? I noticed the potential of a SW to be a better healer than a DC if things go like what i figured out, preparing my AD to level a new SW now.
  • midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Warning: Might cause seizures

A few times while sprinting the color effect was rapidly flashing from the sprinting to normal colors. I'm worried this might cause seizures (I honestly don't know much about the rapid flashing causing seizures, but I've just heard that it could cause them in some cases).
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Warlock "sprint" looks just as bad. It looks like a man/woman on fire, running for a pool of water. I was hoping for a unique dodge mechanic. Perhaps a shadow-type teleport with a brief amount of stealth at the end. It would be much more fitting to the class. [/B]

Yeah I agree with this , the sprint is underwhelming to say the least , I wish they would have used Shadow walk instead of the run , I too imagined something along the lines of the CW teleport with some stealth at the end.

The Warlock seems to have very little in the way of CC , every other class has the ability to stun or prone or daze but Warlock has only one or two abilities that offer a small amount of CC , this could be a big issue if it goes live like this

Other than that I like the class a lot so far .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • patrohel123patrohel123 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    We've got a zombie walk going on. There is no doubt anywhere in my mind that's unintentional. While I'm at it, the shadow shift sprint looks very strange and inhuman

Yeah - makes the toon look like something from planet of the Apes - VERY VERY unappealing. Need to fix this ASAP before going live - i.e. get RID of it please!!!! It looks stupid and ugly.
    Great shame because damage and animations are VERY VERY cool. Am loving Warlock so far but will hold off on rolling one in real game until extra paragon path is available and have more info etc on best builds for feats and powers (HATE respeccing)
  • doomspell123doomspell123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug
    Vampiric Embrace - Goes on cooldown without doing any damage sometimes.
    Vampiric Embrace - Goes on cooldown doing damage but without the lifesteal/heal sometimes.
    Sprint - It activates a disco yellow light type of animation that is annoying as hell.

Feedback
    Infernal Spheres - Seems buggy and while the spheres do fire off at enemies, if you re-activate the encounter it sends the spheres at the enemy doing nothing.
    Infernal Spheres - needs a different sound effect as it seems like something stolen from SoEA which is unsuitable for summoning 3+ minor sized spheres.
    Tab ability - Curse sounds like a very fun way to play with and to activate secondary effects, but the 'mark on tab' mechanic is very annoying to use and seems only helpful on bosses not even on elites as it is too much work to actually integrate with normal rotations.
    Dreadtheft - Not sure if its buggy with movement or extremely hard to use while moving to keep enemies in its range.
    Sprint - Sprinting and jump needs a better synergy as jumping seems to cancel the movement speed (same issue with GWF sprint)
    Stance - as mentioned by others, it has to go, its just too much 'plant of the apes'
  • cerberobotcerberobot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 345
    edited July 2014
    Already lvl 60 and most of the spells seem to me dealing too much damages.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    cerberobot wrote: »
    Already lvl 60 and most of the spells seem to me dealing too much damages.

Aw man, you beat me to it. I was going to rush to 60, know nothing about the class, And still declare it over powered. Then complain about any change, good or bad. Just so I could be one of the cool kids.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    We've got a zombie walk going on. There is no doubt anywhere in my mind that's unintentional. While I'm at it, the shadow shift sprint looks very strange and inhuman

Ditto. It looks identical to the stance/walk/run animation from Champions Online "Beat" race (example: Warewolf) - I am a human/elf/teifling/etc. - NOT a Warewolf.

Courtesy reminder to animators: Less is more. Warlock should be physically weakened or frail, but not a beast. -cough-
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited July 2014

- Is this based on some kind of proto-5E Warlock? I've played plenty of Warlocks in 4E, granted most were Fey Pact, but there's not that much difference in Fey/Infernal/Star, and this feels absolutely nothing at all like a 4E Warlock. Seriously, nothing. I mean, this game isn't known for its closeness, but I can see the influence in most of the other classes, but this... Oof. How does a Striker secondary Controller have almost 0 control? And feel like it has less AoE than the TR? (For that matter, less control than the TR.)
    - On that subject, people can already tell this is going to end up much better at single-target damage than the TR. Some SERIOUS rebalancing needs to happen with this and TR to keep them on par. My main is a TR, so it rather annoys me that it currently looks like he's going to be obsoleted.
    - Belial as a forced pact patron? No thank you. Bad enough it's forced to be Infernal Pact; telling me who my patron is... Hello, railroad DM.
    - Those horrible animations. I don't even. Why. Please change this. It's horrible.
    - Why in the name of all that is holy does a squishy class with no CC break have a sprint? Especially when Warlocks in 4E are VERY heavily associated with teleports. The Fey Pact boon can be ignored here, but seriously? Ethereal Stride, Ethereal Sidestep, etc... Teleports are all over the Warlock.
    - No, really. Those animations. Why.
    - I don't have much else to say. I wasn't impressed. Another OP FotM class that invalidates TR and will be overused.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Infernal Spheres bug

Hit the button once and you get the spheres. Hit it again and all the remaining spheres around you fly off at one random target. The tooltip does not mention a secondary effect from hitting the control button twice. I have noticed the spheres properly giving a curse sometimes. But the tooltip needs to properly reflect what the ability does.

Soul Puppet

The puppet only lasts until it strikes 5 times or 120 seconds, Whichever is less. While you have a soul puppet, if you cast a spell that summons one, it only adds a buff to your existing one that gives it plus 20% damage. That buff stacks up to 5 times and lasts 20 seconds. But your soul puppet does its 5 hits well before you could do any relevant buffing to it. It would be much more useful if the soul puppet's timer was reset each time you summoned one. As it currently stands, the soul puppet expires too soon, imho.
  • onodrainonodrain Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Level 12 New Task The Broker

Showed up in my New Unlocks popup, but did not allow me to take the quest at level 12. When I hit level 13 the quest still shows up in the New Unlocks popup, but it does not allow me to get the quest.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Don't know if these are bugs or just minor annoyances.

1) When you go through a portal with Infernal Spheres already cast the skill goes on cooldown and you lose the Spheres that were already summoned

2) There is no way to see how many times you have Cursed an opponent , the debuff icon shows up but no numbers appear on it if you cast it more than once on the same enemy.

3) Every time I level up I get a quest called 'The Broker' but I cannot do anything with it.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • savraisavrai Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Warlock feels pretty good. Damage at 60 seems to be about where it should be. Obviously, I don't have the best gear, but I was expecting to see smaller numbers and I did. It does feel like the lifesteal tree is doing significantly less damage than it should. I understand trading damage for survivability, but it still feels a bit too low.

The middle tree and the soul puppet powers feel pretty useless until you get the last capstone. Then they become nice and powerful. Opinion alert: that tree seems the least useful in a group.

As for the top tree, it boosts damage nicely while compromising beefiness, which is good. The damage seems about right.

For mechanics, I don't care about the walking around animation so much, but the Sprint looks like when a troll runs in fire. It's kind of silly. The Eldritch blast looks a lot like Magic Missile and Rapid Shot, but the added AoE for the final blast is a nice touch. Casting time is good, too. The Blight hand casting time feels off. I think it could be even faster in melee.

Dailies look nice and the class features all seem to be spot on.

Haven't found any BUGS yet, but there are some Quality of Life issues I'll post in a different thread.
    *Legit Community*

Heather - Ranger
    James - Paladin
    Jet - Warlock
    Royal - Cleric
    Gray - Rogue
    Red - Wizard
    Ios - Barbarian
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Could someone who actually has access to the new class post feats/ effects of ability scores for those of us denied access?
  • relativityrelativity Member Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Short feedback so far:

On Warlock's character creation it says he/she has dungeoneering skill (it is arcane in game).

Warlock's stance is spell plague creature one. (also CW's combat stance is Zombie one).

In some places in PE (under the bridge for example, on the way to treasure chest with peasant garb) while shadow running, graphics flashes.

And some side note: When you change characters you need to wait full 15 seconds.

Warlock is fun to play so far (except funny posture). Will bring more feedback when have more time to test.
    Bids he then the spruces to singer him an anthems!
    thief-glyphs.gif?w=32
    And the Woodsie Lord binders them fleshes to stone!
  • abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feeback: Killing Flames

I don't know if it is intentional or not but Killing Flames can do some absolutely crazy damage on bosses. At level 9 with all level appropriate gear (only using stuff I've found off the ground or on quests) it has hit for 1,229 damage. That's a max hit more than three times any other ability. The Warlock is going to be the ultimate boss killer (and be very beastly in PvP) if anytime a and enemies health dips Killing Flames squishes them like a grape. I do like the mechanic and how the spell works. But it might be a bit strong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    Feeback: Killing Flames

I don't know if it is intentional or not but Killing Flames can do some absolutely crazy damage on bosses. At level 9 with all level appropriate gear (only using stuff I've found off the ground or on quests) it has hit for 1,229 damage. That's a max hit more than three times any other ability. The Warlock is going to be the ultimate boss killer (and be very beastly in PvP) if anytime a and enemies health dips Killing Flames squishes them like a grape. I do like the mechanic and how the spell works. But it might be a bit strong.

I noticed this as well... Killing Flames has insanely high top end damage, higher than my dailies... I dont know if its intended or not...

So far warlock (lvl8) feels about inline with other classes. Hes almost like a mix between HR and CW to this point. Im hoping to pvp and see how the whole "pet" summon thing works in PVP. So far ive enjoyed playing him for about 1 hr and looking forward to more.
  • orodalforodalf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Bug: Half-Elf Racial, Dilettante
    Does not add one point to any Ability Score.

Bug: Soul Puppet (all Soul Puppets)
    Soul Puppets do either Critical or non-Critical Hits determined at their outset. In other words, summoning a Soul Puppet and getting lucky will cause all of its hits to be Critical; otherwise, none of its hits can be Critical. The hits should be individually determined. If they are not, this disadvantages Damnation Warlocks, as their Soul Puppets are refreshed far less often than other Warlocks' because of their capstone Feat.

Bug: Warlock's Curse (while using Deadly Curse Feature)
    The damage inflicted by Deadly Curse is unaffected by Armor Penetration/Resistance Ignored from INT.

Bug: Syphoning Curse (Damnation)
    The tooltip is incorrect by a factor of 10. It should read "... is Healed for 4/8/12/16/20% of your weapon damage."

Do not listen to those who say this Power deals too much damage. The max possible damage is listed on the tooltip, and it requires very, very low Health on the opponent to do this damage-- and this amount is quite low for all that.

I'm not entirely certain what this Feat is doing in this tree. It feels like it fits more with the Temptation tree.

The Soul Puppet seems to have a fixed max HP of 6000 and a fixed Damage Resistance of 16%. I suggest that Soul Puppet share the Damage Resistance of the Scourge Warlock.

Also, Soul Puppets move really slowly, which makes it all the more likely to attract unwanted threat from not-aggroed mobs. Please change their movement speed to equal that of the Scourge Warlock.

The damage from this power seems very lackluster for the required amount of charge time (in terms of Marked targets dying) and the cast time. The cast time seems to force you to wait for the full three Spirals before it is worth using; the low damage makes even three Spirals not worth wasting the At-Will slot to use.

This power seems really, really cool. Love lasers. :) However, there are a few things about the implementation I dislike. Firstly, the fact that you have to hold down the key to cast it is very irritating, as moving becomes very difficult. I suggest that it be a click-to-stop-casting instead of a hold-to-cast. Secondly, I think that this shouldn't be a targeted skill-- let it be directed where we will.

This power is really, really clunky and requires a ton of maintenance during combat to use. I'm not sure how that can be improved upon, but this is just my impression.

(In case you're wondering, I leveled my Warlock to 60 using Experience Tomes and then proceeded to the Dread Ring equipped with r7's and t1 PvP gear.)
  • realramaladnirealramaladni Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2014
    Vampiric Embrace: My own Self-heal was deflected on myself...

[Combat (Self)] Your Vampiric Embrace gives 34 (69) Hit Points to you.

It doesn't say it was deflected in the log, but I saw the curve arrow on my screen.
    Hot Pants

#1 Enemy Team PvP Devoted Cleric

Best rapper 2014
    Alpha female