test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "New Class(es)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• zshikarazshikara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have always loved the idea of a bard. I'd love to see how Neverwinter could pull it off. Obviously more of a support class, but not sure how that would work if not tied in with healing (in this game. I know how they work in classic dnd).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tired of running dungeons with exploiters and cheaters? Join the legit channel by visiting http://goo.gl/1zfnTS to apply!
    Performing ritual pony sacrifices to Tiamat to earn favor with the RNG Gods since 2014.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Invoker, divine controller. (followed by Psion, Bard, and Swordmage)
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I scream, you scream, we all scream for Druids! :D
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    azlanfox wrote: »
    Honestly I don't understand the fascination with 4e Druid. It is a controller with mostly average elemental damage (fire, cold, lightning, etc.) and melee striker style abilities with average damage. It has the same HP level as a ranger and very weak armor, making its melee viability rather low in an ARPG... coincidentally like our Hunter Ranger. The only real difference between these two other than visual attack animation semantics, would be power source - Primal verse martial. Also, being a controller I would think they'd not allow anything heavier then leather armor if they were to implement it, despite having Hide as the maximum armor available.
    . . . For me... It's not that I'm fascinated with their rules as a class but more that I am fascinated by the druid class as a role-player. The rules are meaningless to me, as I can adapt to them if need be in order to play my favorite class in Dungeons & Dragons.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    thesensai wrote: »
    Why is monk in the "other section"? It is a core class while swordmage and shaman are not. And it is certainly popular enough to warrant its own category.
    . . . Actually, they're all Forgotten Realms Core Classes. Read through the OP, as I mentioned why the poll is the way it is. ;)

. . . If we do get to be able to add more poll choices, I will surely re-create this thread and the races' thread too. :cool:
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . For me... It's not that I'm fascinated with their rules as a class but more that I am fascinated by the druid class as a role-player. The rules are meaningless to me, as I can adapt to them if need be in order to play my favorite class in Dungeons & Dragons.

In all honesty Zeb, I liked the Druid, but not for the reasons most people did. All my gaming friends, rivals, and senpais generally embraced wildshape, I enjoyed the wild woodsyness and well, scimitars (all pre-4e concepts *sigh*). Anyways, for Neverwinter, I am only expressing concern because of viability in game. For me that is PVE and guild dungeon expeditions. Even before being nerfed, I was disappointed by the melee viability of the HR. So much so that I never use it, I just shift and keep shooting. If it was up to me, I would have split ranger into two classes just like they did the fighter.

I digress. I see them handling of the controller powers and beast form abilities the same way. For me, having something on my bar that I never use (or rarely do) is just pure, poorly planned and implemented waste. I can hope they do it better somehow. However, they might regulate them to Primal Guardian path and turn them into a support role - which we are really lacking in, but most don't want to play - I don't know.

As I said though, I'll still play one.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    So, in a past interview the Neverwinter Devs have stated that the classes they choose to work on are the ones that they want to work on mixed with what the community is demanding. The call for druids, paladins, and bards is pretty strong, and so we're fairly likely to get those next, in whatever order the devs choose (Druids were mentioned in the interview I mentioned above, so they're somewhat more likely to come first).

Now, These classes take months and months to create and balance, so the earlier we can make suggestions as to their final form, the better chance we have of being listened to, as the further in development they are, the less likely they are to want to change things. So, this thread is to consolidate gear ideas for the future, as well as overarching suggestions for how to handle the various styles of the classes. Where you can, draw from the actual 4e rules to support your ideas, but don't be afraid to make additions, as Neverwinter is fairly divorced from its source material.

I'd appreciate it if you made your recommendations in the following format, for readability of whomever decides to look these over.

Class:
    Role:
    Weapons:
    Armor Type:
    Playstyle:

Here's my suggestions

Class: Druid
    Role: Controller
    Weapons: Staff
    Armor Type: Leather
    Playstyle: You'd get two forms as a druid; one of your normal race, and one of an animal (preferably you can choose your various animals, but I know that may be unfeasible). When in your normal form, you cast control spells from a distance, with a little bit of support for your allies and yourself. When you're in animal form, it's all about melee control and dealing damage. High cooldowns force you to swap back and forth between the forms for maximum effectiveness, unless you Spec properly to only stay in a single form. So, essentially, similar to how the ranger operates, but with a vastly different set of visuals and powers.

Class: Paladin
    Role: Defender/Leader
    Weapons: Mace and shield or one huge hammer
    Armor Type: Plate
    Playstyle: The idea is to make a sort of Supporty defender. Primarly focusing on keeping itself alive, the buffs it provides to itself through divine power would also benefit its allies. This class is really too iconic to let sit for a ton of time, so even with the problems related to differentiating it from the GF, it'd be a powerful addition.

Class: Bard
    Role: Leader
    Weapons: light blade (rapiers, daggers, similar) and wand. Alternately, just a musical instrument, such as a lute or harp
    Armor Type: Chain
    Playstyle: As a leader class, this is very much a support oriented idea; use various powers to give buffs to your allies or to heal them. But the bard also is a secondary controller, making this the perfect class to have "Charm" powers included in, where you briefly make an enemy into an ally. I can just imagine a bard in pvp playing awesome riffs on a lute while his party is kicking the other team's teeth in.

Class: Warlord
    Role: Leader
    Weapons: Spear in the right hand, Battle Standard/Banner/Warhorn in the left
    Armor Type: Chain
    Playstyle: The idea here is much like the bard; you say things that encourage, revitalize, and empower your allies. Battle cries and the like, for maximum team buff. This class is very much the sort to be in the thick of things, too, so you'd probably be spending a lot of time in melee trying to stab your opponent.

I'd love to see your ideas as well; it'll give people a sense of what the community wants out of a given class. Remember to keep your comments constructive, but don't be afraid to post a semi-unpopular opinion if you think it'll help the game at large. ;)
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We can't make progress if the community isn't getting involved in the discussion, and if I'm correct they'll be starting work on the next class shortly after the warlock is released. I'd say this is in fact relevant, as it may very well influence the future of the game. On top of that, the thread is meant for having some fun; no reason to be a downer about it when you could be contributing.
  • bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I said this. In another thread, but I'm holding out hope for a Divine themed module with Paladins and Deva's as a race.
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
    edited July 2014
    I'm still waiting eagerly for the Druid and a tad less enthusiastic, yet still hopeful for a Paladin class also. Now with the Scourge Warlock out though - I'd actually would first like to see them add "Star" and "Fey" Pact powers and paragons to the Scourge Warlock for the SW we have now is only 1/3 of what the class is supposed to be (by source material).
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    zebular wrote: »
    I'm still waiting eagerly for the Druid and a tad less enthusiastic, yet still hopeful for a Paladin class also. Now with the Scourge Warlock out though - I'd actually would first like to see them add "Star" and "Fey" Pact powers and paragons to the Scourge Warlock for the SW we have now is only 1/3 of what the class is supposed to be (by source material).

I'm waiting for a paladin type as well. I think we have enough offensive casters for now. Paladin would make an interesting addition to parties if done right. A defensive supporter.

As for the SW. I don't know if I'd want to see the other options as paragon paths. They're fairly different builds all together
    edited July 2014
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a paladin type as well. I think we have enough offensive casters for now. Paladin would make an interesting addition to parties if done right. A defensive supporter.

As for the SW. I don't know if I'd want to see the other options as paragon paths. They're fairly different builds all together
    Only SW can be considered offensive caster for now since CW has been nerfed so heavily, and also CW isn't a truly focused offensive caster because it spares some of its efforts on crowd control.

Although SW focuses on offensive casting, not all players favor warlock's style. Therefore I would really like to see War Wizard being introduced so that we could have two offensive casters (WW and SW) for players to choose from and complaints among CW players could finally subside.
  • railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Would love to see Warlord, melee heals ftw.
    edited July 2014
    railcar wrote: »
    Would love to see Warlord, melee heals ftw.
    That one is unbelievable. I still don't understand how that class actually works. From what I know, it just calls out allies' name, boosts morale, inspires allies, ... etc, and then allies get healed. Seriously? How can one close bleeding allies' wounds simply by shouting and inspiring? One must be wielding supernatural power in order to heal, and warlord doesn't have supernatural power, does it? If anyone knows more about warlord, please explain. Thanks.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That one is unbelievable. I still don't understand how that class actually works. From what I know, it just calls out allies' name, boosts morale, inspires allies, ... etc, and then allies get healed. Seriously? How can one close bleeding allies' wounds simply by shouting and inspiring? One must be wielding supernatural power in order to heal, and warlord doesn't have supernatural power, does it? If anyone knows more about warlord, please explain. Thanks.

You are locked in the mindset that hit points equals life and health ONLY. This is not true. Hit points also represent fighting spirit, stamina, and motivation to continue to fight. After all, a fighter can be defeated by exhaustion and loss of will, just as easily as wounds. Besides, if every hit truly equaled wounds, then every fight would end on the first real hit. As any real damage would kill, cripple, or disable.

So, in this context its pretty easy to see how a Warlords leadership and battle spirit could refresh, inspire, and motivate his companions to continue to fight. In effect, refilling their hit points, by renewing their will to keep fighting.
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    You are locked in the mindset that hit points equals life and health ONLY. This is not true. Hit points also represent fighting spirit, stamina, and motivation to continue to fight. After all, a fighter can be defeated by exhaustion and loss of will, just as easily as wounds. Besides, if every hit truly equaled wounds, then every fight would end on the first real hit. As any real damage would kill, cripple, or disable.

So, in this context its pretty easy to see how a Warlords leadership and battle spirit could refresh, inspire, and motivate his companions to continue to fight. In effect, refilling their hit points, by renewing their will to keep fighting.

This is pretty much it. Imagine your ally is bleeding from a bad wound, and slowly fading out. Suddenly you shout something so inspirational that your ally gets a burst of adrenalin and is back in the fight. This is how warlord works. As for CW not being an offensive caster, then druids are in the same boat, as they're listed as a primal controller in the phb. Either way, I think we need some more damage soak/support first.
    edited July 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »

That makes sense. But warriors on battle fields still inevitably take slash wounds, injuries, and severe damage so that they might be bleeding. If they get no in-time closing wounds, they might die due to losing blood.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    You can also look at it from the perspective of there being *something* more than natural about the morale boosting effects from classes like the Warlord or Bard - I mean, music and song, no matter how moving, can't physically heal an injury, but these classes have that capability... it's called fantasy for a reason! :o
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited July 2014
    Bard is a supernatural class. IIUC, their bardic songs are supernatural, too, like Lillend's healing songs.
  • celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Toss up between Druid and Paladin, but having to choose one I will go for the former first and then the paladin ;)
  • psychicslugpsychicslug Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I say release both the paladin and the druid class at once, as it stands its a close race for both. I voted druid but would like a monk as well, maybe some day.
  • purplejim8purplejim8 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can see a Monk class being in Neverwinter, it would be a good change from the usual swordsman and stuff, the weapons instead being different types of gloves and whatnot.

also, dont you all rememeber.....

Oriental_Adventures_1st_Edition.jpeg
    Oriental Adventures? The perfect source book for all thinks asian and such, including monks?

okay the book is irrelevant, just trying to bring up the fact that im an old schooler :3

anyway, and who says it has to be an oriental monk? Why cant it be something like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-G9YKEyNzkQU/UVlIoJz92II/AAAAAAAAAHA/orXtFBeyA2A/s1600/78787889568956.jpg
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I used to love playing Neverwinter with the Monk class! The animations were fantastic...
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • spookholiospookholio Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm surprised at the desire for a Paladin! Give the Guardian Fighter a FEAT vs Undead and a little bit o' healing and there is your Paladin :p

Monk for life! :)
    edited July 2014
    spookholio wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the desire for a Paladin! Give the Guardian Fighter a FEAT vs Undead and a little bit o' healing and there is your Paladin :p

Monk for life! :)

Not 4e paladins :) They're a lot more buff/debuff then they are guardian fighters. I'm surprised they even included GF as a tank, instead of just jumping right to the Paladin. With that being said though, I can see the GF being made obsolete by Paladins. Unless they change the GF up to be a CC powerhouse and become a controller/defender.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Monk or Bard would be amazing. Druid or Paladin would be cool. But who wants a Bladesinger?! I do, I do!
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Monk or Bard would be amazing. Druid or Paladin would be cool. But who wants a Bladesinger?! I do, I do!

I want my Paladin. Badly. And Bladesinger is a Wizard PP. Since CWs uses Orbs, I truly dont see it happening, unless they make it a class, which, IMO, doesnt fit in the game (PnP). But hey! NW is a game, so anything can happens.

But then theres the Swordmage, a class. That one would be better suited. Oh yeah, thats kinda like a GWF (sent) with spells. Sort of. :o
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    I went with Swordmage for the coolness factor, but Paladin would be awesome too.

Pallies would make great party leaders if you can build them as tanks/buffers.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited July 2014
    Paladin Ideas

I don't know or care much for 4e I'm just posting how I would do it with the current systems in place in the game itself.

Tab system: Auras- offensive, defensive, healing each time you hit tab it switches between them and also switches each encounter to a different ability that all have the same cooldowns making it different from GF, HR, DC but also like all three; meaning if you switch auras while the encounter is down it stays down until it recovers.

Shift system-Forced retreat: when shift is activated it pushes 5-8 enemies back 25' from the paladins epicenter, uses half stamina with each use.

Offensive aura- increases damage by a percentage in an area around the paladin and allows offensive encounters the aura's color is red.

Defensive aura- increases DR by a percentage in an area around the paladin allows for defensive buff encounters the aura's color is blue.

Healing aura- sends waves of small heals and a small to moderate increase in stamina regen in an area around the paladin and allows for healing encounters the aura's color is white.

Weapons- Long Mace or sword.

Off hand- Shield for the additional AC without a block.

Armor- plate as there is only one class that uses it.

Encounters would be something like this
    defensive-Cover: takes all damage from one ally for a few seconds making it more powerful than knights valor but only on one target can be used to ensure a cleric or other squishy character isnt downed.
    offensive-Holy Sword: fires a wave of holy light in a line.
    healing-Divine Recovery: heals one target a moderate percentage of hp.

Class features might increase the power of each aura or augment them in some way.
  • kaiserschmarrnkaiserschmarrn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 390
    edited July 2014
    Well I don't want my Paladin to only be a buffbot but also a fire&sword Avenger type.
This discussion has been closed.