Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• Options
    damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Dear Crush and the Dev team,

Sorry for the late feedback and response. Completing my company's tax and auditing has kept me snowed under for the last month or so.

Bug: Knight's Valor
    Knight's Valor when turned on will sometimes turn itself off at seemingly random times and for seemingly random reasons. There is no cooldown however and KV can immediately be turned back on. I believe this may be the original bug still cropping up but in another manner. This has a large negative effect while tanking as the GF assumes that he is benefiting from KV when in fact they aren't if they aren't paying very close attention.

Judging by the period of time the 'original' bug has existed for, the inability to fix it and the now evident occurrence of a similar bug, is it reasonable to assume that you, the Devs, don't know what the problem is and / or how to fix it? Or, is it now fully working as intended?

I would really love for KV to work as it is intended so that i can turn it on and leave it on without having to keep checking if it is on and turning it back on when it has inexplicably turned itself off.

Thank you for the hard work you've done so far on making the GF more useful and desirable in parties and for making it a 'tank' that has a far better chance of tanking. Quite obviously, you've spent a considerable amount of time and effort identifying in-depth what the class needs and have gone about making successful improvements. Considering the changes to other classes also, the GF does indeed look to be a promising 'tank' class for the future of the game.

Prior to the last 2-3 changes, I had written in Word 15 pages of criticisms, suggestions, feedback and bugs but had not had the time to complete and post. I had actually begun to despair that the GF would ever be a class anyone would ever really want to play in end-game content and had seriously been considering moving on to another game. I was overjoyed when i saw the changes that had been made, particularly as they incorporated almost every single thing i had written about and then there were the improvements you made that i had not considered that absolutely blew me away.

So, A BIG THANKYOU TO YOU CRUSH AND THE TEAM, FOR REALLY LOOKING AT WHAT HAS NEEDED TO BE DONE AND DOING IT. The fact you have done so in such a short time is phenomenal and impressive, especially considering you have done so while keeping in communication with us players. I really appreciate everything that you guys have done, regardless of whether i have agreed with it or not. Please keep up the good work!

I particularly love the changes made to ITF, KV and CS. It seems as if you've taken my build, spec and rotations and focused on improving my style of play! ;)

I've been doing quite a bit of testing with ACT in IWD using both GFs and GWFs as tanks and i have some serious doubts that the current Guard system is balanced.

From what i've experienced, the Guard has a very similar uptime to the Live version in most PVE mob pulls, with the same base replenishment rate. This is quite adequate as a base, although i would prefer to see the base Guard Meter duration extended by 1-3 seconds so that it is an improvement on the Live Guard base uptime. I understand there are significant factors that need to be considered with such a large change, yet i think the GF needs that little bit longer for their Guard.

The one serious problem i have with the current Guard system is the amount of sustained damage the GF takes while the Guard is up. In most circumstances, running anything up to and including most t2 (not including CN/MC/VT), the current Guard is perfect. This is also true for character levels from 10 (that i've been able to test). However, your initial reasoning behind the Guard only blocking 80% damage was so that HP damage would not spike so much for healers and instead spread the damage out more over a period of time and also increase the amount of damage the GF takes so that the need for healers is more pronounced. I have no issue with this in general, but what i have experienced is that the spike damage is still evident but now the healer must also somehow try to put out more sustained healing to compensate for that continuous damage. While this is not readily apparent with mob pulls smaller than 6, any pulls larger than this have a very large propensity to deal more damage than the GF and DC can heal over a 9 second period. The longer a fight lasts past 9 seconds, the deficit between incoming damage and healing increases quite alarmingly and seemingly exponentially. The reason for this seems to be because of the damage sustained while Guarding and then the spike damage obtained after the Guard Meter has depleted. If a GF was to pull their maximum 20 targets, there is little chance that the GF and DC can out-heal the damage before those targets have killed the GF or those targets have been killed themselves. This is, of course, subject to variables such as types of NPCs, gear, spec and party composition.

The most pronounced evidence of this is that of a minimum geared GF entering IWD in a minimum geared rainbow party and trying to 'tank' Heroic Encounters such as the Major Corrupted Bears / Remorhaz Hunt / Yeti Rampage. If the GF was to pull and try to hold aggro on more than one 'group' (i.e. 1-3 NPCs) at a time, there is a very strong chance that between the Black Ice Damage, Guarded Damage and Non-Guarded Damage, the DC and GF will not be able to out-heal (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) the damage being taken before the NPCs are killed. The main problem the GF faces in this instance is due to the ~220 Black Ice Damage from each NPC per second. Even considering the use of Crowd Control in the party, this provides too much damage to the GF for the DC to heal. The most extreme situation where the same party and GF (amongst other parties) enter an Epic HE fight and the GF uses Enforced Threat and pulls the aggro of 20 NPCs definitely means the GF is dead unless there is an overwhelmingly large proportion of DCs available to heal them. In this scenario, even a moderately geared 15k+ GF will not be able to survive for long.

What this highlights, is that the 80% block needs to be increased for end game content and content from IWD onwards. I would, ideally, like to see the block at 100%, at the least 90% and / or add in the facility to increase the block amount through feat selection i.e. a modified existing or new feat, preferably in the Protector tree. With the current 80% block, the GF takes an unreasonable amount of damage to actually make 'tanking' possible in all situations.

I have also viewed this issue from the comparable perspective of an IV Sent. GWF. I placed both my GF and GWF against the exact same mob in a Major Yeti Rampage and discovered that the GWF has greater survivability, despite my GWF having no armor enchant and 3k less GS. The main reason for this, was due to the fact that the GWF can sprint out of some damage that the GF can't and the GF then has to block and take the damage. The upside of the recent changes meant that my Protector specced GF actually dealt more DPS than the GWF but could not survive for as long or as easily as the GWF. The GWF (despite having worse equipment), actually has a very comparable DR, Deflect and HP, (also factoring in Unstoppable and KV) but has the facility to avoid damage entirely. From my experience and for all intent and purposes, the GWF is a better 'tank' than the class that is supposed to be the tanking class. This therefore does not really improve the necessity to use GFs as a tank when there is another class that can tank and survive better. The only other difference with regard to tanking between these too classes is that the GF can gain and hold more aggro more easily. However, there is no use for the GF to gain and hold aggro more easily if they can't handle the damage that results.
  • Options
    topcat1984topcat1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Bug

I cannot select the reckless attacker final feat currently in preview, tried re speccing several times. Can unlock everything except the final feat in conquerer path. Quite a big bug as i can't test out my GF properly without getting that final feat!
    Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    you do know that skill has been that way since beta right? it's also very easy to avoid.

Terrifying Impact has been our only way to get people out of CC immunity, unstoppable, stealth, etc.

When fighting a TR - you have a bout a 10-15% chance to win, in mod 3 if you go against a good TR, you will lose. In Mod 3 if you go against a GWF you lose, (granted most of them are really bad players).

- Mod 4, this daily no longer does this. But it is ok because we have other dailies that are better. The only reason we ever used this was for the CC to CC immune characters. For instance if a GWF was untoppable and your CW just got hit with a Savage Advance, boom pop it and they drop, unstop wears off, you prone, prone, CW gets up, shards game over.

But mod 4, it's nerfed, it sucks, we can still use other dailies, no worries.
  • Options
    freshourfreshour Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    damnacious wrote: »
    Dear Crush and the Dev team,

I've been doing quite a bit of testing with ACT in IWD using both GFs and GWFs as tanks and i have some serious doubts that the current Guard system is balanced.

From what i've experienced, the Guard has a very similar uptime to the Live version in most PVE mob pulls, with the same base replenishment rate. This is quite adequate as a base, although i would prefer to see the base Guard Meter duration extended by 1-3 seconds so that it is an improvement on the Live Guard base uptime. I understand there are significant factors that need to be considered with such a large change, yet i think the GF needs that little bit longer for their Guard.

The one serious problem i have with the current Guard system is the amount of sustained damage the GF takes while the Guard is up.[/B]

- I think the sustained damage is good. If it wasn't like that, people would cry nerf, it'd get nerfed to oblivion and then we'd never get it fixed. If you added 3 seconds to the base 8 seconds, that'd be 11 with no feats, no armor, nothing increasing it, It is a pretty dang good duration right now. If you are PVE, slot shield talent, use a profound set, iron warrior, ITF, and Enforced Threat, boom block away.

- I was curious what you think about the new guarded assault? It seems it used to work very well, but now the feat kind of sucks. HR's can out regen a guarded assault + Supremacy of Steel + Perfect Briartwine all hitting them at the same time...
    /
    - What do you think about Protector tree procc'ing on targets hitting you? I didn't bring up Conq becuse I like letting a person get a few hits on me, then blowing them up.

- Do you think Knee Breaker should prock weapon enchant each tick? So the GF could get a dot up like Rogues POTB?
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Crush

Please take a look into Anvil potentially being bugged as this damage is far and beyond what it should be.

Senza_nome.png
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    My Anvil on Live with 8500 power 23% crit and 25% ARP and Mark hits mobs for about 35k crits from time to time, I want it to be an execute but now if its going to be at 40% making it more useful maybe it needs a little toning. Or at least tested to see if this combat log was from a bugged ability...

• Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    KC is the main problem here it does have a nickname, "Knights Cheese". For very obvious reasons. Since we can take more hits the percentages from kc need to be changed so this is not such much of a problem for pvp and in pve I only if ever seldom use it when trying to kill stuff quick.

Also a video is better to go on than just a combat log it explains things much easier than trying to decipher a bunch of numbers.

Also we are considered a striker class as well not just a defender.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Tone down Anvil of doom at the same lvl as GWF executioner's style x2 dmg on 30% hp.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    aiulianaiulian Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I see that everybody freaked out about the GF being OP, actually GF isn't and you would like to leave it this way. As long as CW/HR/GWF can cit like hell 100k easily our 80k is actually not that bad and remember that Conquerors reduce their tank capacity to get more dmg.

KC - It was before and it DIDN T GOT ANY BUFF JUST A FIX and as I said above some posts it means double dmg for both sides so 80k crit from us but your 100k crit doubled means 200k and 80% of that is 160k so if we guard it (with this broken guard to that 80% we sould get our DR but we don t so... let s leave it 80%) is 40k and I as a tank have 35k HP that will be a 1 shot on me.

Intro the fray - don t say you don t need the dmg in the PVE and even in PVP.

Anvil of Doom - it works like shocking execution so what s the problem? 10-13 sec cooldown + it s very hard to land correctly and can be dodged.

Please if you are not a GF and you don t understand that this is some sort of balance for the GF then pls (again) go to your class forum and ask for a buff to your class not a nerf to another class.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mfgamesys wrote: »
    KC is the main problem here it does have a nickname, "Knights Cheese". For very obvious reasons. Since we can take more hits the percentages from kc need to be changed so this is not such much of a problem for pvp and in pve I only if ever seldom use it when trying to kill stuff quick.

Also a video is better to go on than just a combat log it explains things much easier than trying to decipher a bunch of numbers.

Also we are considered a striker class as well not just a defender.

Very well put. Honestly the move IS just cheesy and causes flame issues and ALOT of tears. Id rather see it changed and given more utility so its less of a "niche" move. I actually think changing this would strongly benefit the class for a more mainstream option with less cheese and more utility.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Okay guys, this is getting a little over the top now. Keep the class feedback in the pertinent threads.

The amount of off topic, cross contamination in the last two days is making my job far, far more time consuming and unfortunately at this point I am calling it quits in regards to saving posts.

Please read the Official Feedback Guidelines which can be found
    on the first page of every feedback thread.

Every day I remove at least two pages of discussions. Please guys, if you are clicking the reply button understand that there is, quite seriously, a 99% chance I am simply going to remove it from the Official Feedback threads. Please stop and think twice before posting a reply.

However in the last two days everything is mashed together. Sorry guys but I do not have the time to read through all of these posts four times over to sort them out especially when the posts are actually 'GWF' feedback which is nothing more than complaints on what other classes have in comparison.

TL;DR: If your post is removed and you feel it contained an important message then you can either post it as feedback (not a reply/discussion/debate), post it in the discussions threads or PM me and I will look into where it should go.
  • Options
    crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    CW/GF feedback (in CW post aswell)

All i got to say is...

With CW current shield (not nurfed yet)
    http://gyazo.com/26bfb26a15980bf83c01bcc61d0b4b8a
    http://gyazo.com/ba86369ee0be24e0c8b6997e1fa71cda

Without CW shield at all
    http://gyazo.com/f45b79bd8e6685a18d7322ff09770af3

With the CW shield absorbing 50% of the damage, STILL getting hit for almost a 9k, for an ability that stuns and has 3 charges, which can easily 1 hit ANY OTHER CLASS 9k x 3k = 27k Not everyone can afford to get their hitpoints over 30k to avoid getting completely 1 hit by a GF lol. Obviously they needed a buff from mod3 but this is a bit overkill
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Knights Challenge does NOT do more than double damage.

Knights Challenge completely ignores deflect. Don't believe me, have a rogue do a stealthed ITC, KC him and start hitting him. You'll hit him for standard damage.
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Im liking how GF's are turning out in preview, and my Swordmaster GF finally has something to work with and can actually do something.

The one thing I need to say however is I think Knights Challenge should not be toggleable. This seems more like a class mechanical function than an encounter. This feels more like this should have been the tab rather than the mark. With all the buffs we got. The Knights Challenge toggle seems way too strong of an ability now. At its current a GF can completely negate the negative effects of Knights Challenge with there CC and attacks and then shut it off after they're through, even if they time it wrong or mess up, they can just shut it off.
  • Options
    isuuck2isuuck2 Member Posts: 491 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    feedback
    Guard doesnt protect us from control wizards. deflecting griffons wrath deflects its stun duration.
  • Options
    crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014

The iron vanguard path still has much more dps than swordmaster or at least that's how it seems to me. i have been rolling swordmaster for a while and i love it and after having a few 1v1s i lost then switched to IV then i fought the same people and beat them. With swordmaster my full rotation got them to half hp and with IV my full rotation would almost kill them. Iv has trample the fallen and i think the daily is more damaging so all together it just still feels like the dps path and swordmaster is the tank path with steel defense.

Bug:

Our guard is not blocking a lot of control powers.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I can say from a bunch of time on the test server yesterday Swordmaster is my new spec with a gleeful smile. Yes I have to walk more but I have solutions for that. All in all I welcome mod 4 any day now and with how the gf has plenty of paths to choose from all valid both swordmaster and iron vanguard I think we are at a good point for the class. Yes there are some small bugs left but the majority of changes is a great improvement. I finally lost to a gwf yesterday but it was a close fight so no the gf is not going to completely trounce the gwf next mod unless they use mod 3 tactics.

Feedback

Block: Is WaI as I see damage coming through block yet it does not display which is fine for me. My last feedback I had only taken some hits from mobs and saw my hp stay the same. So this is a great mechanic now hopefully once live the responsiveness is better than on preview for me(getting odd delay on preview on and off).

Knights Challenge: Can still bug out and not be usable for a period of time when used often. Was testing activation with daily use queued right after.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is receiving 41k crit from 1 charge of Gripphon's Wrath something working as intended?
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Supremacy of Steel allows you to build action points while using it. Lurker assault for example does not.
  • Options
    nuudlznuudlz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Feedback

Is it WAI that a player is able to build up AP while the daily "Supremacy of Steel" is activated?

Background: With Tactician Build and the DC artifact players are able to keep Supremacy up for a very, very long time by chaincasting it (up to 4 casts in a row).
    The Zisters' Magazine - Subscribe now and you'll never run out of style.

We are always looking for new models --- Borderline Fashiondolls ---
  • Options
    iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2014
    nuudlz wrote: »
    Feedback

Is it WAI that a player is able to build up AP while the daily "Supremacy of Steel" is activated?

yes it is working as intended because supremecy of steel is activated once and then continues it's duration as in it's already active why wouldnt it continue to gain AP? after use it's always been like this unless of course your using steel defence then you wont gain AP until steel defence wears off.

has been like this for a long long time

and is WAI are you saying we shouldnt gain any AP while supremecy of steel is active? if so then other classes should not gain ap while their dailies are active

examples
    -hollowed ground
    -arcane singularity
    -forest ghost
    -slam

not sure why this got moved into the can im actually honestly answering the question????
  • Options
    ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We are so excited, that we wont be absolutelly useless in pve, cause of dmg boost for party or 15% deflect instead of 3 (just an example)
    My question is: Is it possible, changes of our class will make us able to kill HR, CW or TR same gear? Completelly lack of control resists, speed of turtle, 80% of dmg resisted (why not 100% I can't understand). All classes can do anything if they start to loose fight, we have to stay. Why are we so vulnerable?
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Is receiving 41k crit from 1 charge of Gripphon's Wrath something working as intended?

I just tested it out, without KC or ITF just fully buffed / debuffed damage on a normal Bear in IWD. I think my highest GW was 14k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbhj4cP3To4

Griffons Wrath with Knights Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIZOO8hclYI&feature=youtu.be

• Options
    edited August 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Supremacy of Steel allows you to build action points while using it. Lurker assault for example does not.

Action Surge
    Gain 2/4/6/8/10% more Action Points from Guarding attacks.

• Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I would post this in the GWF page, but after thinking about it more....

Mark:
    I understand that mark is the mechanic for threat in this game, and I understand GWF's have a tank function, so they need it. However, I don't understand why it is better than ours. I know you (Crush) point out that ours is more proactive, being we can range it/etc, but in many applications our Mark is worse, since they get more of a damage boost from it (feated) and it doesn't go away on damage taken.

I could live with that, but it is our TAB feature. You could agree to have a difference of opinion over who's mark is better, over who should have a better mark, etc... but it is our class feature. They only other class that shares its class feature with another class is TR's, as HR's have a stealth also. Its not better, and TR's are in dire need of rework, so you can't and shouldn't compare...

So my feedback is this... I will concede that the marks are different, not better. I agree that GWF's need a mark. Fine. But give us something different on TAB. This is WRONG. We don't get unstoppable in our at-wills/encounters. Other classes don't get divinity, spell mastery, etc. Having our tab just apply mark is underpowered as a TAB. Mark is just fine, i love it. I am glad GWF's get it too. But it is SUPREMELY underwhelming on TAB as is.

GF changes are great so far. But this isn't acceptable. Add something to tab. Mark the target and give AP/regen/stamina. Mark the target and the GF gets something special (above the GWF) for targets he marked.
  • Options
    shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For some reason, it won't let me edit a second time, and I wanted to reiterate something...

I think mark is fine as is.
    I think GWF's having mark is fine (they have suggested some tweaks, no issues there).

Issue is only that mark on tab is bad.
  • Options
    imit8rimit8r Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shamgar4 wrote: »
    For some reason, it won't let me edit a second time, and I wanted to reiterate something...

I think mark is fine as is.
    I think GWF's having mark is fine (they have suggested some tweaks, no issues there).

Issue is only that mark on tab is bad.

I agree, for the most part. When tab mark changed a while back, to give us "focsued" mark, which actually did a good band-aid fix to our agro (sorta) it helped to some extent. Now agro is completely fixed and works as intended. I think it is time to pull off the band-aid, and maybe consider a little more to this ability (the tab that is). I like the idea of some extra buffs above and beyond a normal mark. Sure the way it works now, you lose your normal mark when mobs attack you, great. The problem is that the whole point is to have the mobs attack the GF. As soon as they do, your whole party loses ALL benefit they had BRIEFLY gotten from them. I don't know what would be a good "fair" change to this, but I like the idea behind giving the whole party a benefit from having all the targets marked.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, but I cant accept this:

GWFs can mark with:

1- IBS
    2- Threating Rush
    3- Daring Shout

and their Marks last 20 seconds, while us still have our Marks removed if we take unblocked damage...

So basically they are giving our TAB ABILITY as a secondary effect for their IBS, Daring Shout and Threating Rush, and in top of that, to multiple targets...

My suggestion is:

1- Make our Marks last 20 seconds and make us mark with Lunging Strike.

and

2. Improve our Tab Ability, like for example, marking multiple Targets around the enemy we mark with TAB.

GWFs can Tank and they should, but they are also a Striker Class, while we are the real Tank Class (supposedly), and this should be our job, not theirs, and second, we are talking about our TAB ABILITY, TR have Stealth, HR have an increase of 3 more encounters, GWF have Unsto, etc... We have a Mark which is given to GWF in 3 powers!!!, so give us something unique please, and not something that will be recicled (and made better) for another class, PLEASE!.
  • Options
    daalydaaly Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    FEDBACK

With GWF gaining the capability to mark targets via a number of abilities, and their marks last long 20 seconds vs 10 for us via tab ability, and don't drop when tasking damage some subtle changes are not only warranted but justified.

1) Tab ability to mark should not drop when we take unblocked damage, this not only makes no sense considering the position you are moving GF's into (a more standard tank role) but is a partial handicap. The marked targets should not drop their mark when the GF take damage (kind of defeats the purpose of tab marking to begin with). The duration of the marks needs a look at if GWF (a striker class with tanking capability that rivals GF to a considerable extent) last 20 seconds that it stands to reason duration on GF tab ability could use an increase from 10 seconds to say 15-20 seconds as well.

2) Please consider letting GF's mark targets via an encounter. As was suggested above, Lunging Strike seems like one logical choice but not the only choice. The ability to mark via lunging strike should be a front cone mark capability like frontal cone damage with say 3-5 targets marked and not dropped via damage.