test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Prices getting too high way too high

toxicknight799toxicknight799 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited June 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm as free to play gamer first off, some look at that as cheap skating, well whatever, my RL takes every bit of my money I do well to scrape by with having the net to be able to even get on to play.

With that said .....

I have been playing NW since november last year, fell in love with the game. so its all i play. I have been trying my hardest to get slightly ahead in this game and lets be honest here everytime i get a few more AD ,,,,, the prices of the things i set my goals towards are once again too high ,,, for example epic armor sets ,,,, pricing ,, even for T1 is far too much for someone to even get a start on. This has caused me to give up on PVP all together because i cant compete with the perfect enchant and everything else people that got their stuff when the prices were more reasonable. so i stay PVE now except pvp dailies for AD... even leveling artifacts has gotten rediculous i used to be able to by enchantment shards for 900AD each to 1000 now its not cheaper than 13 to 1800 a peice ,, this takes a bite out of the 24K a day incomes plus if I get lucky and actually able to run a dungeon without 1. having everyone die on ya and give up or 2. get kicked out of the dungeon because once again your gear cant compete the way theirs does,,
welll,, what the hell? why the hell do you think I'm in the **** dungeon for ,, to get my **** gear. anyway. like i was saying pricing is just getting near impossible to get anywhere remotely ahead. i here people try to disclaim things by saying you arent working hard enough. if i worked any hard on this game my fingers would bleed and Id develop hand disorder from holding my mouse that **** much.

I know this sounds like Im just whining, but seriously. if you guys took the time. make a new charactor do not put anything on it ,, dont pay any rl money for the toon and dont look to your guild to save your butt ,, be a total new toon youll see what i mean.
Post edited by toxicknight799 on

Comments

• Options
    unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    Hey Toxic,

This is due to the overall inflated price of the zen market. Its causing everything to skyrocket.... 499-500 AD Per Zen.
    Its funny there used to be 5 listings of various prices before and it seems like Mod 3 came and prices have frozen at that point I have never seen any other price listed.

I used to get rank 5 stacks for 50-70K - now they are pushing 200K per stack. Unless zen prices decline then we are not going to see any price decrease in the AH.

Reminds me of Diablo 3, stuff used to cost millions then turned to billions and eventually the AH couldn't sustain itself and went Boom and they closed it down. Unless something is done soon the same thing may occur here.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Refinement item prices have blown up right now because people are going crazy with levelling the new class artifacts they've gotten. It should stabilize and come down given time.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The prices on shards went up when the artifacts came out in Shadowmantle. Prior to that, almost all of the subpar enchantment shards were pretty much useless. Now they're fodder for feeding artifacts. And with the release of even MORE artifacts (and easier to get ones), people are feeding more and more enchantments and runestones to artifacts, hence the high prices.

Rank 5 stones have more than doubled in price. But just wait, things will settle back down. For now, I would just SELL your enchants and shards at the inflated prices, bank the AD and then wait for the prices to drop in another 3-4 weeks.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    meh, I used to think it was too much but I just created some alts to AD farm leadership and I haven't cared in months since. It's all free to play just costs time if you don't want to spend the time then just spend the $$ but that is all you can do the rest is beyond your control
  • Options
    lsgteklsgtek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Prices in the Auction house are basically Supply and Demand kind of scheme
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The inflation is just due to people spending AD at an increased rate instead of saving it. It will flip in a bit. Happens pretty reliably in MMOs when new content comes out because of the fact that money in a bank is removed from the economy if that person has no interest in buying things, but that removal isn't permanent. The opposite holds true when they en mass start spending. You get these sudden rushes of in game currency that changes everything for a short while.
  • Options
    unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    The inflation is just due to people spending AD at an increased rate instead of saving it. It will flip in a bit. Happens pretty reliably in MMOs when new content comes out because of the fact that money in a bank is removed from the economy if that person has no interest in buying things, but that removal isn't permanent. The opposite holds true when they en mass start spending. You get these sudden rushes of in game currency that changes everything for a short while.

Ok to your point of new content comes out, prices skyrocket..... Ok so we have mod 4 coming in a few months which will keep prices high.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's just a massive inflation flux.

Mod 3 comes out and everyone wants Zen to buy the new Black Ice boosters and whatever - so the Astral Diamond-to-Zen ratio jumps up to 500/1 - it becomes a Zen Seller's market. Now all that Zen that was being sold is depleted - there just isn't much Zen being sold - so the conversion rate remains at a 500/1 ratio (or close to it).

This also means there is a massive influx of Astral Diamonds into the game. People who were skating by on 500k to 1 million AD are now sitting pretty at 2 million or 5 million or more Astral Diamonds. The people selling stuff on the Auction House see this and they are pushing the prices up. People with a lot more AD than they had before are still buying these things; it's easier to pay they higher prices because they now have so much AD on hand.

This jacks the entire AH average sell price upward.

The economy will start leveling out again and possibly even go into recessive dip when an influx of Zen hits the exchange and AD are badly wanted for whatever reason. When that happens there will be an influx of AD into the exchange, the AD-to-Zen ratio will drop, AD will be moving out of the game, the Auction House pricing will begin to drop...

...and so on and so on.

I agree, pricing is crazy high. And people really just don;t place proper values on some stuff. For example: an Angel of Protection Companion selling for 1.2 million AD? After it takes a freaking YEAR to acquire? That is a highly underpriced item in the AH. But so be it.

WARNING TO ALL READERS: Coalescent wards will skyrocket. This weeks patch will confer all Blue Coalescent Wards from the trade bar vendor into BIND ON ACCOUNT - meaning they will all but diaper from the AH. So the prices for these things will go through the roof. Which will raise the pricing of high-ranking enchantments and artifacts and so on and so forth.

Yeah - it's a roller-coaster all right.

RE: Trade Bar Merchant Coalescent Wards - from these release notes:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?677531-Curse-of-Icewind-Dale-Preview-Patch-Notes-NW-15-20140520a-4&p=8027151&viewfull=1#post8027151

Where is states:
    Tarmalune Tradebar Merchant: Coalescent and Preservation wards sold by the Trade Bar merchant are now Bind on Account. This change is not retroactive. Existing wards will retain their current bind status.

But Zen Market versions will remain BoE (I suspect)
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    WARNING TO ALL READERS: Coalescent wards will skyrocket. This weeks patch will confer all Blue Coalescent Wards from the trade bar vendor into BIND ON ACCOUNT - meaning they will all but diaper from the AH. So the prices for these things will go through the roof. Which will raise the pricing of high-ranking enchantments and artifacts and so on and so forth.

Yeah - it's a roller-coaster all right.

RE: Trade Bar Merchant Coalescent Wards - from these release notes:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?677531-Curse-of-Icewind-Dale-Preview-Patch-Notes-NW-15-20140520a-4&p=8027151&viewfull=1#post8027151

Where is states:
    Coal wards are already at 450k now.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    toxicknight799toxicknight799 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I suppose each of you are right , just seems like the old saying about one step forward two steps back has been my story on here ,, gets frustrating ,, but eh eventually ,, i mean ok ,, i have a TR that has decent stuff all the grim gear purple artifacts. (right now no enchants because i need to pawn them off to make some money for a pve GWF I'm working on so ,, hes out of commision had some rank 7s on him but that was as high as i ever went with lesser bile and lesser soulforge ( which I also sold both to again try to fund the pve char to get him ready for doing epic runs and icewind dale and all that. just gets very frustrating that,, seems like people get so **** greedy on here ,, probably sitting on accounts with gobs of AD then turning around wanting to sell something for gobs more ,, just seems like BS ,, but I could be making false assumptions of course ,,,,
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Prices high are not really a big problem by themselves if everything is inflated. Economies work in terms of generating items not refinements. You go get items players want. They give you AD. You go get items you want. As long as that works and is possible things are okay. In Neverwinter it is surprisingly easy to generate drops that go for 1 to 3 coalescent wards worth of AD, so things to me seem fine. I have personally sold items for 40 days worth of refinement, and everyone I have grouped with has done the same.

In Everquest if you added up the gold value of item drops to other players in terms of the gold you got from playing nothing made sense. It was irrational how long you would have to grind cash drops to get anything decent. You had to get items to get gold at any quantity to get items from other players. The very fact that daily quest in this game make any sense in terms of player economies is amazing, as that relationship gets stressed that isn't automatically a sign of trouble. As long as players can generate items that other people want to buy from them things are okay. When that stops happening things are bad, but inflation doesn't mean that has happened. It just means the daily reward from quest and refining is less impactful, but those things never had value to other players in the first place.

The only thing that doesn't make sense here is the artificial 500 AD cap on zen. I only did a minor in economics, but I pretty sure that cap is bad. Like economist cringe bad.

In Diablo 3 what broke was the idea that you could generate drops other people would pay you significant amounts of cash for. Better drops than you could find in weeks worth of play started deflating to the point where they were vendor trash, so the economy stopped making any sense. It wasn't gold inflation.
  • Options
    berserkrage99berserkrage99 Member Posts: 103
    edited May 2014
    Welp, only 13 coalescent wards left on market. Time to find a new game to play. :P
  • Options
    discordinationdiscordination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2014
    Excuse me OP, but didn't you start this whole thing off saying you're a totally free2player? But now everyone else is "so ****ing greedy" because we sell things for profit?

You accuse others of having saved their AD and making smart decisions; as opposed to what exactly? What you did?

I for one see a direct correlation between your inability afford to plop down a few bucks for a game you spend hundreds of hours playing, and your subsequent inability to invest your ingames moneys wisely. There is no charity here or in life.
    Essence of Aggression member
    Former 666th Devil Dogs Neverwinter Co-Commander
    16.6k BiS TR Flosstradamus
    15.8k BiS CW Veria Noying
    17.8 BiS GWF Carnage Asada
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I didn't know about the coal change.

It wasn't part of the original posters point, but it does significantly change how I think about this economy and something I wrote about it.
  • Options
    discordinationdiscordination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    I didn't know about the coal change.

It wasn't part of the original posters point, but it does significantly change how I think about this economy and something I wrote about it.

You have to consider coals used to come from invoking like water. Think about it, this is one of the most powerful refining items that we got for free consistently for months. With 6 characters I would get one per week easily.

But now you get various other refines much more readily and that's driven the price up. Its not a good reflection of the economy as a whole because of these special circumstances.
    Essence of Aggression member
    Former 666th Devil Dogs Neverwinter Co-Commander
    16.6k BiS TR Flosstradamus
    15.8k BiS CW Veria Noying
    17.8 BiS GWF Carnage Asada
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You have to consider coals used to come from invoking like water. Think about it, this is one of the most powerful refining items that we got for free consistently for months. With 6 characters I would get one per week easily.

But now you get various other refines much more readily and that's driven the price up. Its not a good reflection of the economy as a whole because of these special circumstances.

With 20+ alts invoking daily I get one every 2 months. How exactly are new players going to manage to get anything at all?
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I agree, the prices are ridiculous, but they always have been in this game. It is definitely not a game that I would imagine holds anyone who isn't serious about gaming for very long once they get to 60 because of the giant price wall. However, I will say there are definitely opportunities as a F2P to become significantly wealthy and be able to get all the top tier gear/equipment/enchants. However, it is probably not possible to do it in any conventional grinding method without leaving any real life behind. Look for changes especially that you can utilize to make money. Mod 3 was a massive profit for me with very little work. There was a way as a result of the changes to make 1.5-5.5M with about 8-10 hours of work and it could still get you ~1M for the same amount of work now. It probably wont drop below 500k for a long time, but at that point there are better methods (and at 1M still) that are very F2P viable. (Would've been a while longer if you didn't have ~250k to invest into it to get it started though).

I've personally only invested $40 into the game after having deleted my old characters and started fresh again more recently, and 600k of that went into just a mount anyway. I could've gotten by just fine without spending it, but was in the right mood and had some extra cash to blow. Right now I'm sitting at full rank 9s, 2 lv 80 and 1 lv 9x-100 artifact (once I get GWF sigil and use raven skull on it), perfect vorpal, normal armor enchant. This was after starting again I believe around the start of this year. I am also really into PvP, so I had to learn how to acquire this kind of stuff or else I wouldn't still play because gear influences PvP so much and is hard to get into without top tier stuff as you have said. I tend to only play games for PvP anymore.

I will say it is also much easier to earn AD once you start learning unconventional methods and have used some before. All are legitimate as well and require no exploitive behavior, but they do take time to find/make efficient. Top tier items are reserved for people who are in the top percents financially in the game. You can't expect to be able to get there using conventional methods that everyone else is employing.
  • Options
    hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If I were you, I'd make a CW. They are always wanted for groups. Farming PK during DD is decently profitable, and doesn't require too much gear to do it.

If you're totally devoted to f2p, I'd also make a ton of alts and have them all do leadership.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • Options
    wonkywonk22wonkywonk22 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Like water? They updated the wonderous cache to nerf the coal ward drop significantly last year. Now coal wards from tarmalude merchant are untradeable outside of your account. With mod 3 already spiking coal wards to nearly 450k AD, imagine where will be when the market is already dried up further in a few days. And then you have to consider what mod 4 will do to the prices in August. Cryptic has put a chokehold on AD transferable coal wards in order to make the playerbase get closer to spending $10 in the Zen shop for 1 coal ward. If it takes 16 coal wards to make a perfect enchant, that's $160.

Now, think of what else you could do with $160 in your life. Is a coal ward really worth $10? The answer will be subjective for everyone of course, but to me, I could easily get more value with $160 else where.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm going to point out that the change to wards is still on the PREVIEW server, meaning it has not gone live at this point, and as such, is subject to change. Please discuss that particular change on the thread meant for preview discussions and not here.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The whole refinement process is designed so money will be spent if you are serious about getting your enchants. Too many ways to get coals that are unbound will only drive the value down in the AH and hurt their zen shop coals. They are just forcing you down the path of patience (waiting to get from boxes, celestial coins, getting enough bars) or spending real money.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm going to point out that the change to wards is still on the PREVIEW server, meaning it has not gone live at this point, and as such, is subject to change. Please discuss that particular change on the thread meant for preview discussions and not here.

Yeah... but dude, it's the preview for tomorrow's patch. That's not a whole lot of time for "subject to change" to happen.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Understood. I brought it up as an example of how the economy in feral is always in-flux due to changes in supply and demand and that part of the is affected by policy changes (good or bad is for individual contemplation). The point I was hoping to contribute toward the OP is that the economy is always in massive flux - that some prices are always "outrageously" high and others ridiculously low (many Zen Store companions on Auction House for example).

I suppose ny primary advice to anyone would be: try not to focus on that number in your character's purse (inventory riches) and the prices you see in the Auction House, Exchange and whatnot. But rather set your goals (as the OP has) and then try to anticipate changes that happen - both official policy changes (Cryptic-generated changes) and supply/demand changes then do your best to plan for those kind of changes.

I'm not saying to "play the market" - some do, most don't. However, just in knowing that Mod 3 was coming I knew without a doubt there would be a massive inflation effect all over. And I admit: it is definitely a lot more movement than I anticipated (flabergastingly large movement!)

@OP: You are currently witnessing a first - I've been in-game since WAY back (Alpha/Closed-Beta stages) and this is the first time I can recall ever seeing such an inflation happen at this level and so rapidly. I recommend: patience. Things will even-out eventually.

I recommend people always check the "DevTracker" forum for announcements and upcoming changes. it is the fastest way to see what's going on from an official standpoint. And to see any thread a Dev is posting in - click the little pound symbol (#) at the top right of the post for context.
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If coal wards are going to be only available for Zen they had better redo the refining system. Newcomers will NEVER be able to obtain a single perfect enchantment without coughing up a ridiculous amount of money just for a single thing.
  • Options
    bazgcbazgc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    If coal wards are going to be only available for Zen they had better redo the refining system. Newcomers will NEVER be able to obtain a single perfect enchantment without coughing up a ridiculous amount of money just for a single thing.

you can still get them as a possible drop from the 7-day invoking reward
    My Foundry Quests:

The Silver Sword - NW-DEIPWYISA - Daily Qualified
    A Relaxing Stay - NW-DEEYNZYZ9 - Daily Qualified but going to be updated
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    bazgc wrote: »

Nerfed drop rates makes that implausible now. 10 chars doing that for the past 3 months, nothing...
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Good luck with that. I'll wager that hell freezes over before you get a ward from 7 day invoking without 10+ characters to invoke with.
  • Options
    wonkywonk22wonkywonk22 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Oh you'll get them alright... in about 10 yeeeers.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You...do realize that you can get Tarmalune Trade Bars from lockboxes, which you can get the keys to open by trading AD for ZEN? Although I'm not sure how high key prices are going to get to be certain.

Bottom line, though, is--they weren't meant to be easy to get or drop like candy. If they were easy, everyone would have them. Forced, absolute, unwavering equality is never a good thing.

That being said, though, I do remember saying that the topic of this thread was not the proposed changes to coal wards. There's a thread for that, so let's please do get this back on its original topic, shall we?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com