test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Spawn Camping aka AFK in PvP Discussion

Comments

• narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Here is a suggestion for you about AFKers...

Auto kick them from the instance after a certain amount of time. And when you get kicked for going AFK you get nothing but the leaver penalty.

Narayan
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

Auto kick them from the instance after a certain amount of time. And when you get kicked for going AFK you get nothing but the leaver penalty.

Narayan
    FYI: This is already implemented. If you are longer than 5 minutes afk will you get removed from the match and also get the leaver penalty.

What actually happens is that players now often start chatting, come with pointless arguments, throw around blame and insults, etc. while standing at the fire rather than fighting.

If somebody really needs to leave the keyboard, because of something in real life, then I actually do not mind it. What makes me mad are suckers who cannot stand a defeat and therefore put all their hate out onto the chat. I have already tried turning off the chat, but it often hits the players who actually contributed to a match who then get the blame, and I just won't let it stand and rather get on the chat as well and tell the suckers the truth into their face how terrible they are. I even go as far as throwing a match when somebody cannot shut up while we are winning but has to let their hate out at others while everybody else is having fun. I do not need to win so badly that I cannot afford to throw a match and rather enjoy making the sucker explode in rage over the loss. I like to fight and if the enemy is within my team will I try to give them defeat.
    Stay frosty.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014

Narayan

There is that system for GG
  • runonnikerunonnike Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    Ask yourself: do you play PvP because you like PvP or do you play PvP to farm glory?

I play cuz I like killing people. :P Jk, jk. I actually play PvP because I like to compete against people who can actually think, rather than NPCs that can only cast red circles. However, I think that for a 40 minute match, 300 glory is a little underwhelming, don't you think?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i think we need a real matchmaking system for pve and pvp. for pvp, it could match us based on roles and strengths and try to balance teams that way. for pve, it can allow people to join dungeons regardless of class if their role is desired by the group.

should help immensely for pvp since some matches r simply decided by class composition

pvp (check all that applies)
    • Strengths
      • anti-gwf
      • anti-rogue
      • anti-perma-stealth rogue
      • anti-cleric
      • anti-wizard
      • anti-hunter
    • Roles
      • heal
      • dps
      • crowd-control
      • tank
      • debuffs
      • backcapper
      • node contester

pve (check all that applies)
    • tank
    • aoe dps
    • single-target dps
    • boss killer
    • healer
    • debuffer
    • crowd-control
    • kiter

what would be awsome, but obviously would take 10 years to get a queue for, would be 5vs5 all the same class hehe.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    runonnike wrote: »
    I play cuz I like killing people. :P Jk, jk. I actually play PvP because I like to compete against people who can actually think, rather than NPCs that can only cast red circles. However, I think that for a 40 minute match, 300 glory is a little underwhelming, don't you think?
    There has to be a cap for a single match, it does not mean that a match goes on indefinitely should grant an infinite amount of Glory, that's just asking to be exploited. Losing a match gets you 300 while a winner may get 700 for a match, that actually is reasonable. Winning a GG PVP caps at 500 points, so how much would you want losing a PVP match to award you?

A match may be prolonged by the players' desire to compete or win, that desire defines PVP. If there were no rewards to PVP, does your like of PVP diminish? There are PVPers whom already have maxed out their gear from all the Glory they can farm, so as little Glory as you say is awarded, why continue to PVP? There must be another reason.
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    So let me understand what you expect me to do if I'm in a lopsided match. I am supposed to do what... continue to get killed over and over, knowing that I'm going to lose anyway and that no amount of killing or point capping on my part will change the eventual outcome of the match?

Ask for 1vs1 and/or try to hunt stragglers ;) Just don't AFK or leave.
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    What actually happens is that players now often start chatting, come with pointless arguments, throw around blame and insults, etc. while standing at the fire rather than fighting.
    That's not always the case, you're more likely to notice the haters than the ones that keep quiet. Most of the time I will carry on, but on occasion I will afk if it's affecting my enjoyment. I'm not one to afk or rage quit in other games and am a firm believer in respect. Of course I can get frustrated at other players but would never take it out on them, after all it's more likely the queues fault and they may be trying their best or just trying to have fun even if they may suck.

Edit: and checking out my team I had today we had 3 9000 gs people plus or minus 500. With 14.6k gs (which for my gf who isn't my main isn't especially high, I shouldn't be matched up with those people at all. They focused on the home cap too much and weren't even fighting on it. On the plus side at least one of theirs was somewhat equivalently low geared, and with a little tip and my constant backcapping we just about won though the scores were close with them slightly winning at times. They did at times send 4 people to me though, so if their strategy was better they would've won. Oh also our team had 3 people rush to home base right at the start. That match should never have happened and demonstrates how frustrating matches can be. That's an example of it working out alright, it could've been a lot more one sided.
  • ohforf14ohforf14 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In my opinion the PvP system should reward both teams for fighting until the bitter end.
    The difference between the points of winner and loser team should be considered when the points get calculated.

runonnike wrote:
    We lost by 13 points

I think his team deserves a lot of glory for losing so close. Not as much as the winner team, but there should be a significant bonus for getting this near to the winning score.
    Maybe I don't fully understand the meaning of the word "glory", but I think there is also a lot of glory for an honorable loser.

If the PvP system would reward a losing team that fights for every single point instead of AFKing, it would be more fun for "real" PvP players AND it would FORCE the other players to give their best.

Another thought on glory: The individual reward should be removed. I'm serious. Why am I supposed to kill a random enemy instead of supporting a team-mate? If this is a group-based PvP match, the player should work for the higher goal (the win) instead of his personal greed (the points)! If this is a group-based PvP match, no one should ever think of making points for himself instead of fighting for his team!

I'm not a great PvP player, I don't even LIKE the PvP in Neverwinter. But I saw this discussion (and I saw it in WoW years ago) and I think the solution is obvious. You don't need penaltys if you make fighting more attractive.
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't think the problem is that glory awarded is so long for extremely long pvp sessions. Although it is related.

The real problem is how points are awarded. There needs to be a cap for how long sessions can be, which means one of two things could happen to the current PvP: Domination maps:
    1. put a timer on the session similar to gauntlgrym pvp. Once the timer is up, the team with most points wins.
    or
    2. Award points for contested nodes to both teams, either at the normal rate or half the normal rate.

Personally I like options #2 because it lessens the amount the game rewards merry-go-round style play. It also fixes the problem of those players that AFK in campfire to finish a losing game quicker.
  • spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bucklittle wrote: »
    1. put a timer on the session similar to gauntlgrym pvp. Once the timer is up, the team with most points wins.

Winning team should be whoever reaches 1000 first or has highest score when timer runs out.

As for glory amount: seems fine to me. Gives people something to strive for. You can get a complete Grimm set and artifact by light playing PvP for a few weeks. I think getting my T2 PvE set took much, much longer. And if you are really serious about PvP you will play it so much that you will have a complete Profound set before you know it.
  • bucklittlebucklittle Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One of the aspects of getting glory the fastest possible is intentionally losing a match. Players doing this, do it because the match ends quicker, by potential orders of magnitude. In other words, the game rewards AFKing in the campfire. Even if a penalty was put in place for sitting in the campfire, it would have to be drastic enough to overcome this reward.

As long as matches can potentially be, realistically and often in practice, 30 minutes or longer, any kind of reasonable penalty won't be enough to warrant not afking in campfire in situations a player judges to be an unwinnable game, if they are trying to maximize glory per time spent. Even in situation a player decides they have a small chance to win, there will be many people for that -- small chance at a 30 minute comeback -- it isn't worth it. Reason being, there are fortunately other things to do in this game other than PvP.

A good example of this is a technique I personally use to get easy glory. When first logging in for the day, queue up for a PvP match before anything else. If it is anything other than a complete stomp for your team, leave the game to go do things like boon dailies. After dailies are finished, join another PvP match, if it is anything other than a complete stomp for your team, leave the game to go do dungeon/rhix dailies.

The real issue is that games can potentially take a long time and that the losers receive negligible rewards. And that players are punished for putting in effort.
  • ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Two things:

1- Allow kick in pvp with party vote: lately alot of players choose to go afk once they see that they wont make it in top 5, many close games are with someone dieing multiple times due to your fabulous matchmaking and at some point they just stop playing leaving the rest of us in a 4v5, even if the team overall is winning.

2- Let replacements join a 4 man team: same behavior, at some point they decide to leave and play an alt. If is not a stomp they'll just leave resulting in 4v5.

Last 3 days i rarely been able to play a pvp game that doesnt turn in a 4v5 so please fix this.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like pvp.

That said, the reward system does promote people going for a cap, rather than fighting with an eye on the big picture. I always take a loss at the start of a game, because I always stay on the mount, bust through the free for all on 2 and head for 3, where depending on the number of players sitting like ducks on their mounts, I either kill them and take the cap, eh, 1 in 3 say if its 1 vs 1 or at a push 1 vs 2; hassle them so much before getting wiped that they lose 1 and 2 while they're trying to kill me, 1 vs. 3 or 4 again at a push. Or just get obliterated in about 5 seconds flat if they're high gear.

Whatever happens to me, it gives our team a head start, and usually takes us to a win if our gs scores arent too unbalanced. However it does mean if I have to back cap and contest nodes alone while the rest of my team decide to bugger off and sit on a cap for points, I get nerfed on glory at the end, I might make it up in kills and rush etc. Bonuses, but mostly not.

So yeah, an award system that took into account strategic play would be nice, or a weighting shift for capping a point alone or in enemy territory or something.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • nazghul22nazghul22 Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Spawn camping could only happen if PvP was very unbalanced. But Cryptic clains the PvP is now perfectly balanced since the Elo is here. Elo is a reliable thing that has been used for years in mind sports like chess.

Here is a proof that thanks to the Elo as implemented by Cryptic, the PvP is perfectly balanced and that spawn camping is a thing of the past

437598a0-40ab-4904-af22-402b091ed3dc.jpg
    ToD = ..........
    Tired of Dailies/Tyranny of Dailies/Timers of Doom/Tricked Or Duped/Tremendously Obnoxious Dailies/Try Otherwise, Devs
  • nelegalas93nelegalas93 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Solution for no afk. Make match making not only for lvl, but also for Gear Score, now 9000-12000 GS players have to go PvP vs 15000-20000k... They kill in 3-4 hits, so where logic? So why no point to END pvp just stay AFK...
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nazghul22 wrote: »
    Spawn camping could only happen if PvP was very unbalanced. But Cryptic clains the PvP is now perfectly balanced since the Elo is here. Elo is a reliable thing that has been used for years in mind sports like chess.

Here is a proof that thanks to the Elo as implemented by Cryptic, the PvP is perfectly balanced and that spawn camping is a thing of the past
    There is only so much ELO can do when some new PvPers are entering matches with a GS as low as 6.5k and gear including greens. I have had a few of these guys in some of my teams recently - oddly enough they usually play GWF and GF. They fold like wet cardboard if anyone looks at them hard.

A full set of level 60 blues is cheap on the AH. There really is no excuse for going into a match so unprepared and then campfire AFKing because 'the match is unbalanced'.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    There aren't enough players queueing for PVP to have a consistent ELO working.

Also, people complained when cryptic had ELO working at full strength
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Great idea to fix spawn camping: Deactivate the leavers penalty.
    edited April 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    Two things:

1- Allow kick in pvp with party vote: lately alot of players choose to go afk once they see that they wont make it in top 5, many close games are with someone dieing multiple times due to your fabulous matchmaking and at some point they just stop playing leaving the rest of us in a 4v5, even if the team overall is winning.

2- Let replacements join a 4 man team: same behavior, at some point they decide to leave and play an alt. If is not a stomp they'll just leave resulting in 4v5.

Last 3 days i rarely been able to play a pvp game that doesnt turn in a 4v5 so please fix this.
    The problem there would be why should I join a 4v5 which is probably going badly? The new player is already punished. Also would the kicked get queue banned? That's unfair if they were kicked by troll parties. What if they didn't? People would try to get kicked to avoid the queue ban.

One thing I want to see if getting points at a slower rate if you control a point but the enemy is still on it. It will prevent extremely slow matches where just 1 player can stop you from scoring which is particularly annoying if theyre a perma stealth or gwf.
    edited April 2014
    frishter wrote: »
    The problem there would be why should I join a 4v5 which is probably going badly? The new player is already punished. Also would the kicked get queue banned? That's unfair if they were kicked by troll parties. What if they didn't? People would try to get kicked to avoid the queue ban.

One thing I want to see if getting points at a slower rate if you control a point but the enemy is still on it. It will prevent extremely slow matches where just 1 player can stop you from scoring which is particularly annoying if theyre a perma stealth or gwf.

if you have ever watched or played high end pvp (im a watcher :p) then you would know that a very viable strat for groups is to assign someone to 1 and 3 from both teams. usually a dps class like hr/tr. contesting a point is most of the match, with spurts of making 10-20 points here and there while the loser of the fight runs back. good teams will adjust who is assigned by skill level. People assigned will leave to support the fight on 2, but as soon as they see thier assigned node contested they will go back. If another toon comes to help on 1-3 then that leaves 2 vulnerable. Points can only be made if the node is uncontested.

It's very interesting to watch, and why I feel they shouldn't change how nodes work.
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    if you have ever watched or played high end pvp (im a watcher :p) then you would know that a very viable strat for groups is to assign someone to 1 and 3 from both teams. usually a dps class like hr/tr. contesting a point is most of the match, with spurts of making 10-20 points here and there while the loser of the fight runs back. good teams will adjust who is assigned by skill level. People assigned will leave to support the fight on 2, but as soon as they see thier assigned node contested they will go back. If another toon comes to help on 1-3 then that leaves 2 vulnerable. Points can only be made if the node is uncontested.

It's very interesting to watch, and why I feel they shouldn't change how nodes work.

The thing is stalemates can happen and can result in even 1 hour matches if the teams are well balanced which imo is both boring and unrewarding. Sure nodes should be contested, but there shouldn't imo be the possibility of both sides not scoring for prolonged times so should imo gain a smaller amount of points over time. Currently it's also possible for lower skilled players to contest their home cap and keep respawning and contesting even if they're not doing much which gives the rest of the team to make the difference as I myself have done on one of my toons when we perhaps shouldn't have won.
    edited April 2014

The trend now is to leave close, long games and not stomp ones :)
    4 man vote cant be troll grps or an autokick from system if u stay 1 min in the base camp. Why wouldnt you join for some fast glory and the replacement wouldnt be affected by glory loss in case of defeat?
    Or give the 4 man team a buff to have a fighting chance.
    edited April 2014
    ortzhy wrote: »
    The trend now is to leave close, long games and not stomp ones :)
    4 man vote cant be troll grps or an autokick from system if u stay 1 min in the base camp. Why wouldnt you join for some fast glory and the replacement wouldnt be affected by glory loss in case of defeat?
    Or give the 4 man team a buff to have a fighting chance.

Well it was written that the new system was to normalise games so that they're not over too quickly or take too long. It's done a great job at fixing the first point, it's made the last one worse (although it doesn't happen toooo often). If you joined a 4v5 you'd get no glory if you didn't get the 450 points which is probably more likely if it is 4v5. Even if they did you don't get much for a loss and it would take time for them to get into the rhythm of the match, I just don't see the purpose. I'm not 100% totally against it though. Also for the 4 man buff, it'd be nice apart from kicking a **** to get the buff if he/she's getting decimated which is more the queues fault than theirs.
    edited April 2014
    Well it was written that the new system was to normalise games so that they're not over too quickly or take too long. It's done a great job at fixing the first point, it's made the last one worse (although it doesn't happen toooo often). If you joined a 4v5 you'd get no glory if you didn't get the 450 points which is probably more likely if it is 4v5. Even if they did you don't get much for a loss and it would take time for them to get into the rhythm of the match, I just don't see the purpose. I'm not 100% totally against it though. Also for the 4 man buff, it'd be nice apart from kicking a **** to get the buff if he/she's getting decimated which is more the queues fault than theirs.

Purpose is to have fun, if is no fun people will stop que... i am rly close to give up once again pvping. It is extremely frustrating to have no tool to solve this kind of behavior.
    In other games one of the two solution is up, replacement works good in small grps, while the second with a buff in bigger grps like 20v20.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Solution for no afk. Make match making not only for lvl, but also for Gear Score, now 9000-12000 GS players have to go PvP vs 15000-20000k... They kill in 3-4 hits, so where logic? So why no point to END pvp just stay AFK...

the problem with gear score matching is that you can currently swap gear after you enter a match so i could enter wearing low level gear and swap it once i'm waiting at the spawn camp. this would definitely put me at an advantage over other players.

now that could be corrected if they removed the ability to swap gear in a match, but that would have to be implemented. and i'm sure they considered these options when they opted to go with elo ranking instead.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    people afk in pvp because there is no penalty yet.

Even if.
    People would just leave the spawn, jump down, get killed purposely, repeat.

But go ahead demanding more penalties, I see they helped a lot so far alongside the broken ELO matchmaking. I guess you must be on the right track then. :rolleyes:

Also let me add that I personally don't believe the majority of the PVP community deserves the respect they call for. Play it out? 1v1? Sure, but not in this game. This is another story in premades, but PUGs consists of classless jerks mostly that I don't owe anything. Sure I have become part of the problem, but it's up to the devs to adjust the mechanics and solve it.
    It's not only glory, you generally get little back when trying to be respectful.
    edited April 2014
    4vs5 , which happens quite frequently in my experience means wasted time. ELO system does not work at all, or works so poorly that it seems to be non existant. The matches are only very rarely competitive. The vast majority are blowouts. The classes are not balanced, and wont even be addressed until mod3, and that is only 2.

There is a huge amount wrong with pvp at the moment, but like everything in the gaming world...it is what it is. If the devs can't figure out solutions to these basic problems, I doubt anything I say will make any difference. They are the professionals, afterall.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    it is human nature for someone who is disgruntled to want to "go tell it on the mountains" and this is the majority of what we see on the forums. personally, i don't see a lot of this activity when i'm PvPing. and i'm sure that if you compared the complaints to the number of successful pvp matches in a day or a week or over the past month, the numbers just wouldn't compare. there are less afk complaints now than there were calls for a leaver penalty just three or four months ago.

but i'm sure that PWE is monitoring the feedback, the numbers and if a change is warranted, we'll see it over time.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    People AFK because they die within seconds of reaching mid.

AFKing is the result of unbalanced PVP matches. No point giving someone cough syrup for their symptoms (AFK) and not giving them an antibiotic to treat the viral infection (Unbalanced PVP).

Still amazed that people refuse to acknowledge the lopsided nature of many PVP matches.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.