test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Character Creation Setup

Comments

• leillannaleillanna Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've went through every possible combo for race/male/female. Some are good, some are just plain horrid. These new faces need to be made a little less anime. Also please leave in the old options and just add the new. Choice is good, replacing all the old is NOT!!
    one more thing, you see the hair on the drow in my sig devs? I want. GIMMIE!! pink tint and all. Mhmm that's right, i said PINK!!!
    A girl can dream right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Eilistraee zhal zuch tlu wun ussta xukuth.
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, I could go on about how bad I find the new character creation, how tiefling males now look like rats with even LESs customisation options (and tieflings were already lacking). I could mention the women all looking like vapid anime sex-dolls But honestly, that's all subjective. Its just my opinions.

What I will say however is that current characters shouldn't be changed. The whole point in customisation is that the more choice you have the better. Adding new things only to remove old is counter productive. I much prefer my current tiefling guys face to the single choice on the test shard. Half elves no can't pick facial hair too, so my half elf's moustache is going to fall off? that shouldn't happen, it will ruin his look.

My point being, add more choices, but leave the current options as they are. I already had issues with my elf chick getting thicker eyebrows one morning due to an abrupt change, and I have to spend zen to change them...

Oh and while I'm on the subject, can tiefling men please have some facial hair? even if its just a stubble option. they aren't supposed to be hairless like elves.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    shrewguy wrote: »
    Oh and while I'm on the subject, can tiefling men please have some facial hair? even if its just a stubble option. they aren't supposed to be hairless like elves.

I would love to see some more facial hair for half-orcs too. We need some more beard options.
  • velve90velve90 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    I would love to see some more facial hair for half-orcs too. We need some more beard options.

Yes please. It always annoys me that half-orcs can't get the beard that Uloth (white haired half-orc NPC in protector's enclave) has, when it's in the game. Humans and dwarves at least can get it, and it looks fine on him.

I really dislike the textures on the new hairs/beards as well, as someone mentioned, they're shiney and metalic, and don't match the current things. If you have an old beard/new hair combo, it looks like they're wearing a wig. Furthermore, with ALL of the male humans I tried to make, the old beards now weren't connected to the face at all. It was like it was hovering a few inches around their jaw/chin/mouth. Sure there used to be some gaps with some combinations, but that's just absurd.

I do like the overall look of several of the new hairs and beards though, if not the shiny shampoo commercial textures. I do like the dual colour aspect, though I also wish you could have streaks of colour.

As most have commented, I too hate the huge eyes of the elves with their pinched faces... They look like the faces of 6 year olds with all the baby fat sucked out, then slapped with oil for some shiny skin affect. The men aren't much better.

I could rant forever on how much of the changes I really, really hate, but yes, it's a mixed bag of good and bad. I just hope they don't remove the currant options, and let people use the old face meshes if they want... Or just fix the new ones.
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    velve90 wrote: »
    I could rant forever on how much of the changes I really, really hate, but yes, it's a mixed bag of good and bad. I just hope they don't remove the currant options, and let people use the old face meshes if they want... Or just fix the new ones.
    This is largely why I started this thread. Point it out to people - the larger a group we have looking at this, the more likely things are to be adjusted more to our liking by the time this goes live. That's the point of a feedback thread, after all.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I did a lot more poking around. I managed to get a female Tiefling that looked like I wanted it to. Also, Tiefling eyes now seem to be ...glowing?
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All I can say... I paid cash to change the appearance of a couple of my chars. I did not change the appearance of others because they are the way I want them to be, even if the clipping makes some of them look like radiation victims. If they change the existing looks of my characters, I will be most disappointed. If I wanted anime, or barbie.. I'd not be playing a dungeons and dragons game.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If they force us to change our appearances to these new hideous anime barbies, I may very well consider leaving the game. It's that bad. Even if they let us keep our current appearances but this goes live like it is, I'm certainly not going to be buying any more character slots. Why do I want fewer, uglier choices? Especially when many of them are severely bugged? Mouth height can't be changed on most faces, it glitches the mouth. Male half-elves have at least one face where the ears don't touch. Most of the hair/beard choices don't even properly FIT the new faces. We really need some dev response in this thread.

I want complexions back. I want the old face meshes back. I want head shape back. I want the new options fixed so they aren't shiny plastic and IN ADDITION to the old options. Choice is GOOD, Devs. Options are good. Shiny plastic anime barbies are not good. I spend a bunch of AD/zen transmuting and dying and outfitting my characters, because the way they look is important to me. If my characters from now on have to look like... This hideous travesty... That just makes me not care anymore. Bring back the old options. Please.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • frozenflame22frozenflame22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 56
    edited March 2014
    Something I've always wanted and seen only in a few games is facial hair for female dwarves. Of course this should be optional, just as it is optional for male dwarves. I just want a beard on my shield matron!
  • silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Something I've always wanted and seen only in a few games is facial hair for female dwarves. Of course this should be optional, just as it is optional for male dwarves. I just want a beard on my shield matron!

LOL, you reminded me of a tiny poem I wrote decades ago...

I wanna be me,
    I wanna be weird,
    I wanna be me,
    And grow a beard.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know what anime you guys have watched where characters were this ugly.
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't know what anime you guys have watched where characters were this ugly.

I think I could find at least few. How about... pokemon? or... Dragon ball? But yeah, most anime characters are much better looking.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Relax the knee-jerk reactions, folks. Do not fret the future; it is wasted energy. Rather, concentrate on the here and now.

Cryptic would be epically stupid to require an appearance change to all existing characters, not only in totally passing-off the player population, but also the technical hurdles and system loads that would be required (every. single. player. in game having to run through a character rebuild? I don't think so).

Furthermore, it also would be foolish on the part of Cryptic to replace the existing models with the new ones, it just makes a helluvalot more sense to *add* these as new options in addition to what is already there.

And finally: remember that what is seen on preview is just that: a *preview*; a work-in-progress. Nothing on preview server is finalized and the Preview server is updated only once each week, where everything on Preview server is updated internally by the Devs at least daily, if not multiple times each day.

So I reiterate: cool your jets, stop wasting precious energy in worrying so much about this stuff. I'm not saying Cryptic will not make a complete idiot of themselves and shoot their own feet by actually replacing existing models with these, I'm just saying that anyone with a half-baked brain would't do it. And one thing I've discovered by playing Cryptic games for more than four years: they aren't stupid, actually quite the opposite.

And any flamers who want to diss on Cryptic by proclaiming "but in the past they did this or did that or whatever and Cryptic is ZOMFGEVILLL" - I say STFU, you should read what you write and see yourself how others see you. In which case I refer to the first sentence in this comment.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I hope some new work is on the way. With the latest patch Half-Orcs are down to 3 facial hair options. I wanted more, not less.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I certainly do not like the new looks. One of the things I like about this game is the non-anime faces we have now. We should voice our opinions now, so that the Devs know what not to implement. Once it gets implemented it is almost too late to complain, as then it will go on the list get changed, and probably given a low priority at that. Better that it doesn't happen in the first place. Some would debate the intelligence of Cryptic, depending on how previous changes have affected them. Loved the previous comment someone made about "Combat Lingerie".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have checked the female faces yet but for males (specially elves/drow) they need some strong square jaw options, even with the jaw height all the way up they have a small jaw, and not too wide. They look too feminine for my tastes. Also their forehead is too big and most of the faces have a weird profile, like too pointy facial features. I like that they got rid of the alien eyes for male elves though.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited April 2014
    So, I decided to check if the Tower of Alteration works for pre-existing characters since the patch, and it does. I also found out something remarkable. Here's an image - the one on the left is Caeri as she currently is. The right is a new character, designed to be as close to Caeri as possible (Which isn't close at all, given the giraffe neck, over-huge nose, and huge lips). The middle image is Caeri after going to the Tower of Alteration to see if it'd work. it forced me to choose a new horn style, so I chose new horns and new hair to make the comparison more stark.

HeadComparison_zpsdab6e387.png

The middle is where it's at! it looks so much better than the other two (if squinty)
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Relax the knee-jerk reactions, folks (...)

You're right, no need worry about something that may or may not see the live server, and Cryptic is not stupid enough to force those changes upon everyone. Stupid me, what was I thinking? Of course they wouldn't!

*few weeks later*

"Ah, another day in Neverwinter! Maybe I'll make a trip to Icewind Dale t buy myself some nice new fashion? Wait, something is not right.. where's my mirror.... Oh no, my face, my beautiful face! NONONONONO!!!"
    edited April 2014
    ulviel wrote: »
    You're right, no need worry about something that may or may not see the live server, and Cryptic is not stupid enough to force those changes upon everyone. Stupid me, what was I thinking? Of course they wouldn't!

*few weeks later*

"Ah, another day in Neverwinter! Maybe I'll make a trip to Icewind Dale t buy myself some nice new fashion? Wait, something is not right.. where's my mirror.... Oh no, my face, my beautiful face! NONONONONO!!!"

Yeah its not like they already did that exact same thing once already with female eyebrows a few month back... Oh wait, yes they did. I'd say our concerns have justification. And its pretty valid to voice them.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i'm not sure why but when i enter the change appearance screen, my character's appearance doesn't even match what my character looks like now. i tested this on both the live and the preview shard. if i just wanted to change up the hair-do or get a new tattoo, i'd have to re-do my character's look to as close as i can remember it and hope for the best.

are there any plans on making this better in the future?

also, it'd be nice if minor appearance changes didn't cost the same as major ones. if you could get the characters looking like their current selves, you could limit the change screens to hair and makeup at a reduced cost. that would be awesome.

*edit: i also wanted to say i like the new additions on the preview shard. more customization has been requested a lot and it's nice to know that we're getting it even if it's a little at a time.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Did you try exiting the interface and coming back in? It's clunky and unintuitive, but that's how to tweak your current appearance on live as opposed to starting over.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek Online just release three new head shapes and complexions (shapes each for male and female) - so apparently the entire Cryptic art department has been busy. And over there: the new shapes and complexions are *added* to existing versions, not replacing them. I would expect the same to happen on this side of the fence.
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek Online just release three new head shapes and complexions (shapes each for male and female) - so apparently the entire Cryptic art department has been busy. And over there: the new shapes and complexions are *added* to existing versions, not replacing them. I would expect the same to happen on this side of the fence.

Agreed. If you do it in one place, it's bad form not to do it in the other, especially if it draws player ire like it is from this.
    edited April 2014
    Half-orcs got their facial hair back, though some of them they were renamed so if you edit your character looks it will default to no facial hair. I would still love to see some more facial hair. I don't know if it would cause clipping issues, but the gallant mustache would be nice on my half-orc. Maybe add some more mustaches that are thinner so they can be used on half-orcs if it is a clipping issue.

Of course, the main issue with half-orcs right now is their normal teeth (not their tusks). On faces 01, 03, and 04 their lower teeth on visible through their lip to varying degrees. I also noticed that facial hair floats in the hair and isn't attached to the face. This seems to be on all races.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yeah, the collision issues of hair through tiefling horns kinda bugs me. it would make me choose something else other than live with it.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2014
    I actually like the options I have seen and think it is a decent improvement over the original options.

Just to confirm these are additional options and not replacing any current models. :)
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I actually like the options I have seen and think it is a decent improvement over the original options.

Just to confirm these are additional options and not replacing any current models. :)

I'm glad you like it, but a lot of us don't. ;)

And where has it been stated anywhere by a dev that these aren't replacing current options? All I've seen is the new options, with several things from existing character create removed entirely, like head shape, multiple complexions for all head shapes, the original head shapes/skins/complexions/etc... Right now, it really doesn't look like these are an addition at all, and there's been no response to this thread or anywhere else I've seen. I'd love to see the statement that this broken mess is going to be in addition to the exact existing method - Head shape/complexion selections back, original skins back, original eyes/eybrows/horns/etc back, etc. Really I would because otherwise, blech. :/
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • couatl13couatl13 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope. Uh-uh. No. Nonononono.

Let me start off with what I LIKED.

Pros:
    Two out of the Three(?) New Hair Styles for the Men (Long and Short Braids respectfully).
    The new beards for men
    ALL of the new hair for the Women (Though it does look rather glossy...).
    The new horn "Style" for the Tieflings (Makes me wish we had Ilmater as a Deity option for my planned Tiefling Paladin).

Cons:
    DUCK FACE! The lips... All I see is Duck Face... Must... resist urge... To cry out... Duck season...!
    The high number of clipping issues. Such as the teeth and tusks on Half Orcs; How the hair seems to heavily sink into the model of the head, or the facial hair (or even ears for the Drow, Sun, Moon and Wood Elf as well as Half Elf races) is next to in no way even touching the face on the male character models.
    The overly long neck on most character models.
    I also miss the head shapes option. It made shifting and tweaking just HOW you wanted your characters head that much easier, because it gave you an idea of which you wanted to shift and where.

Option Request:
    I'm happy about the two tones for the hair, and that, in turn, get me wondering. Is there any chance of being able to have multiple scars on your characters? Or even piercings? Though out of the both, the scars may be the easiest to add in...
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And there's still no sliders for hips width which is kind of weird considering everything else.

Also the new hair clip horribly on some armors.
    edited April 2014
    I can't work out how to post in spoiler tags to hide the mage so this will have to do.

So, I went to the tower of Alteration to let the face changer update my character to the new faces. Left is the new face, right is the old face, obviously. but.. Jesus, WTF have they done to my guys face...? Where did his chin go?

Kiasancompare_zps8b6c55e6.jpg

There is nothing here that's an improvement.. its just hideous.

I'm sorry but if it don't get SIGNIFICANTLY better, I'm not going to want to play my own character, it looks that bad.

Honestly I loved the current character creation, it has so much potential, if we could just get more content without altering the old stuff.. like new hairs, new beards etc. (facial hair for tieflings!) But the changes to face shape are just.. traumatic.