test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Character Creation Setup

Comments

• naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I... What... Oh gods, bloody SERIOUSLY? Nothing's halflings look like that, FFS. Cryptic, seriously, get your stuff together and STOP. This is awful and hideous. LISTEN to your playerbase. We don't want this mess. Stop with it already! At least give us some reassurance that the current non-hideous options will remain options! Seriously.

Yeah, I don't even anymore. :\
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    I... What... Oh gods, bloody SERIOUSLY? Nothing's halflings look like that, FFS. Cryptic, seriously, get your stuff together and STOP. This is awful and hideous. LISTEN to your playerbase. We don't want this mess. Stop with it already! At least give us some reassurance that the current non-hideous options will remain options! Seriously.

Yeah, I don't even anymore. :\

i would re-read what the dreamhuntressx wrote. it is the default with the waist width/depth sliders lowered. in other words, the example result image is possible but it is not the default.

if you want this kind of deformity in your character and if what we're seeing here actually hits the live servers, then it will be an option but definitely not a forced option.
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ha, awesome, that's totally what halflings should look like, now they just need to do the same thing to female halflings.
    XD
    edited April 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i would re-read what the dreamhuntressx wrote. it is the default with the waist width/depth sliders lowered. in other words, the example result image is possible but it is not the default.

if you want this kind of deformity in your character and if what we're seeing here actually hits the live servers, then it will be an option but definitely not a forced option.

Uh, actually, go on preview and check again with a new character. All the waist depth/width sliders do is control how thick your waist is, and that image shows them at their minimum for the heavy default. This is not optional, it's a forced option. If you alter an existing male halfling he'll be forced to these new freakish proportions. Please, go on the preview server and actually test these things. These are not 'new options'. Everyone in this thread has been saying that since page 1, pretty much. Test and you'll see for yourself. They are forced for any new character or alteration of an existing character, and depending on what the devs do may or may not be forced to all existing characters.

I made a halfling on normal, and then ported him to preview and took him to the tower of alteration. New proportions are forced on change. Newly created male halfling on preview, obviously no option but the new freakishness.

The male halfling slim in the new system is no different, just slightly thinner all around. He's still massively deformed - Extremely wide head, short legs that taper to ludicrous nothing below the knees, skinny monkey arms, huge hands, massive elongated torso. That deformity IS a forced option in the new system. There is no option or way to make a male halfling under the new system that looks even remotely normal or like halflings are supposed to look.

To make it even more ridiculous, halfling females are still little miniature barbies with human-like proportions, but males are... This. I honestly hadn't noticed before because I've been mostly looking at editing my existing characters recently, and my one halfling is a female.

I know you want to defend this, and may have to, but please. Go and test. You'll see for yourself exactly what everyone is complaining about - All these new bizarre things/issues are not additional options. They are forced replacements, and many of them are broken or just plain bad.
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I found a few things "strange" with the new options :
    >> elf face are strange.
    1) the skin texture is a little too plastic like. It's just too smooth. Light reflect show this especially.
    2) face form are all the same, very angular. No possibility to choose a more round face, even with sliders.
    3) the nose junction with eyebrow is just unreal. It feel like it was cut with a knife or something like that.
    4) The default nose is too thin. The result feel strange with the new eye : "manga" like
    5) Where's the cat's eye ? I found this cool. Is it possible to have a "liquid" option for Sun Elf as describe in the wiki presentation (http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Sun_Elf) and why can't we have green eyes ?
    6) the default mouth are too thin on some option.

>> The new hair option are cool, especially the 2 colours things.
    7) the texture are very plastic. I think it's due to design change. But now, it's just like stolen to some plastic dolls. Or like for skin, light glare is too much.
    8) Instead of creating colour glare, the second colour channel just increase the choice. It's like a biggest palette. It could be better to have only some hair lock with a full palette for good customisation. For example, I could have my halfling TR with long blonde hairs but to a few spark blue lock.

>> More tattoo option
    9) In Foundry, we can choose some piercing option. Can it add added/expanded to player class ?
    10) Can you add a better interposition option ? Something like left/right/both, positioned at the same level than the colour option.
    11) tattoo studio : where we could assemble our overall option from option by position. For example, choosing a full moon on the left cheek, a crescent on the right and a star on the forehead.
  • adisonmakadisonmak Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    naicalus wrote: »
    Meanwhile they continue to not respond to or acknowledge any of the feedback we've been giving, or fix the massive, glaring screwups in the generator. Whatever alterations they did last maint didn't do much. Here:

eltainiwd2.jpg
    Noooooo!... T-T
    Left picture (I assume this is current Live?) me like it very much... As for middle and right picture, I hate it to the core. Please don't do this.
  • skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014

He is not deformed, just too many second breakfasts.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    One thing that has been annoying me is that the stumble on my character has been ruined. There is now a bald spot in the middle.

yHIvhLy.png

So unless I change my character's look when mod 3 goes live I'm stuck with that.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Instead of putting that much effort into something, that the community did not even demand, the developers should stick to fixing all of the existing visual bugs amongst almost all classes, first. We have been reporting, GWF's swords clipping through their ENTIRE body and ocassionally, their legs since the GWF class was released... I know, there was a (poor) attempt to adress this issue, BUT increasing the hilt length and decreasing the actual visual attack radius did not quite accomplish anything other than creating weird looking weapons (the scythe, the dread legion swords, etc.).

Another example would be, the GF's weapons, clipping through their hip/left leg armor 90% of the time, unless i choose to use a spear... since it is on the back. I have read about various HR clipping errors aswell as CW weapon skin errors, etc. too.

Personally, i'd like to see said things getting fixed first before revamping the actual character creation because i am quite sure, that none of the actual important graphical glitches are going to be affected by the new system and will remain for another 1-2 years.

This isn't supposed to be a rant, but i am also a bit baffled, due to the lack of glitch/bug fixing that is done on NW while new content is getting rushed and even more bugs are being introduced on top of the older ones. Cryptic has a habit, ever since i played one of their games to entirely ignore simple bug fixes for whatever reason. In my opinion, this is what's lessening the quality of the game by alot.

#edit: If the developer's intention is to give us more freedom or better options, i'd like to suggest to scrap the new character customization entirely. You should just play one your own games: "Champions online" and maybe then, once you dear devs have realized what an actual character creator should look like in 2014, you could start implementing something similiar into NW. But as it currently stands, the new system is suboptimal and needs at least another whole year of fine tuning.

• alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This isn't supposed to be a rant, but i am also a bit baffled, due to the lack of glitch/bug fixing that is done on NW while new content is getting rushed and even more bugs are being introduced on top of the older ones. Cryptic has a habit, ever since i played one of their games to entirely ignore simple bug fixes for whatever reason. In my opinion, this is what's lessening the quality of the game by alot.

You must be new to free-to-play games. This behavior is completely and totally normal. Bugfixing typically takes a distant back seat to producing new content to bring in new customers with. By the time the bugs drive away existing customers, new content will be ready for release that will draw in new customers to replace them. This cycle continues forever.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    To be honest I prefer the new male half elf faces, I always hated the angry monkey faces from before. They still need more jaw though.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i checked out the halflings in the character creation process and yes, the male body types do appear to be deformed compared to the female body type however seeing as there were graphics missing from the different base options available, i'm going to say that it's a bit early to tell whether this is going to remain this way. i can nudge the CMs about this to see if we could get a word from the devs on it but i can't promise anything.
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i checked out the halflings in the character creation process and yes, the male body types do appear to be deformed compared to the female body type however seeing as there were graphics missing from the different base options available, i'm going to say that it's a bit early to tell whether this is going to remain this way. i can nudge the CMs about this to see if we could get a word from the devs on it but i can't promise anything.
    Don't worry about promises, Melo, bringing all this to the attention of the devs is more than anybody else can do, and we thank you for it.
    edited April 2014
    adisonmak wrote: »
    Noooooo!... T-T
    Left picture (I assume this is current Live?) me like it very much... As for middle and right picture, I hate it to the core. Please don't do this.

Yes, the left is the way Eltain there currently looks on Live, the middle picture is what the new system defaults him to when loaded in(It will use Face 01 with the current slider settings by default, with bushy eyebrows regardless of what your eyebrow choice was before), the last is after major adjustments - Different eyebrows, different base face, etc. Even then, yeah, tiny pinhead on swan neck with no chin, and his ears don't connect to his head. D:

Melodywhr: If you could give the CMs a nudge to poke the devs about this thread and these issues, that would be amazing. Thank you. :) We're not just going 'ew I don't like this one option', we're a little freaked because, as you've seen, it looks like the new options are all there are, and some of them are rather... More than awkward. XD;
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I kinda like the new look of the characters, but the weird changes... What in the nine hells?! My character has now jaw!
    I'm very happy they're finally adding new options to the character creation. I have a really big problem with clipping, though. Armors like the Dread Servitor Wizard robe clips with almost every female hairstyles. It's very distracting for me.
    Hopefully they'll tweak things a bit before it goes live, or they'll give us a free token to change out appearance.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
    edited April 2014
    Male orcs got their lips fixed, you can't see theyr teeth trough them anymore, also they can have beards now :)
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Male orcs got their lips fixed, you can't see theyr teeth trough them anymore, also they can have beards now :)

Hurray! ...wait, my tusks are still in a wrong place, my skin is still oily, not to mention all other problems.
    At least I have this fancy invisible heels and the new fashion set that combines furr and a bare abdomen (more bare skin, yes, that what we need if we travel to the ICEWIND Dale).
    edited April 2014
    Another Preview update, another week of STILL no real fixes to this mess, male half-elves and drow still don't have ears that touch their heads, I swear Eltain on preview looked more pinched and greasy than ever, and yeah half-elf males STILL can't have facial hair. *sigh*

But hey, girls have invisible heels and yet more <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> clothing. WINNING. *bangs head on desk*
  • xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    give us atleast a free-appearance change for ALL characters after it hits live.
    edited April 2014
    xanos900 wrote: »
    give us atleast a free-appearance change for ALL characters after it hits live.

If only that could help. After this hits live, there will be no good looking option you would like to choose in the alteration tower.
    edited May 2014
    Somebody was on preview to see if there is something new recently? I have not enough self-determination to do it myself.
  • shrewguyshrewguy Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    7 days to go till mod 3 hits so checked out stuff again.. still looks very far from finished which is a bit concerning given there's only 7 more days.

Anyway something else I noticed. Male tieflings have lost their claws...

Would it not be a good idea to give male tiefling a nail slider? so they can choose to have clawsies or not?

p.s. Facial hair options for tiefling men please... :'(
    edited May 2014
    Only thing that's been changed is half-elf males can have stubble now. That's it. Not even the mustache options they currently have on live. As of last preview login, male drow and male half-elves STILL do not have ears that touch their heads. Everyone is still a chinless pinhead, the textures are still anime barbies, halfling males are still bizzare freaks... Yeah, this isn't even CLOSE to ready. And yet after all this time and all these pages, there's STILL not a single shred of Dev acknowledgement or fixing. :/
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    harnel wrote: »

Hopefully the order is actually dwarf, half-orc and elf.
    But still, it is terrible. The half-orc has lost all its half-orciness. Now it looks like an attempt of vampire char for the next Twilight movie. The teeth are not even in the mouth! They look like big chirurgical staples put after some face surgery. AFAIK your current char won't get changed by mod3 patch, but I pity the fool who will want to roll a half-orc in mod3. He's better find quickly a large, face-covering helm.

HalfOrcHeadShot_zps067b5b84.png
  • elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Looks fine to me...

Qcl12Ub.pngsmaFITQ.png
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, looks like they have pre-patching turn on for the live server now. That pretty much reduces any chance of last minute changes or fixes down to nil
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Well, looks like they have pre-patching turn on for the live server now. That pretty much reduces any chance of last minute changes or fixes down to nil

Well, the pre-patch was for a newer build that what we currently see on preview so there is at least 1 more patch out there.
    edited May 2014
    Has anyone thought that maybe the new char styles won't get to the live server for now? I've read that not everything on preview server makes it to the live one, even if we know the icewind dale content will get to live.
    Is that a possibility? that they'll kick the new character styles further away till they're more ready? Because for now, besides some style decisions, there are evident bugs like ears not connecting to the face, that's pretty bad.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Has anyone thought that maybe the new char styles won't get to the live server for now? I've read that not everything on preview server makes it to the live one, even if we know the icewind dale content will get to live.

Well the changes to character creation have not been listed in any of the patch notes for IWD so far so maybe they could put the changes on hold for now but personally I don't think they will since somebody seems to have put a lot of work into them .

I found two dreadful bugs in the Wood Elf creator today though and I wasn't even looking and I didn't even check 95% of the possibilities so yeah , having bugs like that in the character creator so close to module 3 launch is worrying .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited May 2014
    I don't doubt the new styles will get to the live server, but maybe not just now, maybe a while after mod 3 hits. At least I hope so, unless they can fix all these bugs in 3 days
    2e2qwj6.jpg