test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Character Creation Setup

harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Alright, so, I decided to take a look at the new character creation setup, since it was mentioned a while back that every race and gender would get new face and hairstyle options. I went through all of them, and frankly, what I've seen is an absolute travesty.

The men? The men aren't so bad. They got a couple new hairstyles (that sheen like they're made our of metal, of course), and while they look stylized, they at least seem playable.

But the women? We're looking at creatures that have been sent to a barbie factory to be remodeled. We're looking at these makeup covered 17-year-olds who look like they've stepped out of a barbie lookalike convention. The hairstyles aren't terrible (but need a texture update), but what's happened to the faces is horrific. It's like they tried to put the anime-esque tendencies of Guild Wars 2 or Aion into Neverwinter and it has suffered for it. Badly.

I've never felt this strongly about anything in Neverwinter, but I spend a lot of time making sure my character's appearances are good. This is horrible. The tieflings look like Dranei! This should not be!
Post edited by harnel on

Comments

• angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A screenshot or two would've helped because it's all subjective. But thanks for your efforts just the same.
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A screenshot or two would've helped because it's all subjective. But thanks for your efforts just the same.
    You're right. Allow me to fix that.

This is my tiefling character from before Mod3. Ignore the eye texture - it's the same issue on a new tiefling, which suggests it's a bug that'll get worked out later.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/pyranack/CaeriHeadShot_zps613455cd.png

This, however, is a tiefling with the new build, with largely the same setup as the character above.
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/pyranack/TieflingHeadShot_zps0c42bd79.png

Here's a few other headshots, for the sake of completeness. The order is Dwarf, Half-Orc, and Wood Elf
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/pyranack/DwarfHeadShot_zps5d2ecc46.png
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/pyranack/ElfHeadShot_zpse8316534.png
    http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/pyranack/HalfOrcHeadShot_zps067b5b84.png

The tusks being out of place on the half-orc is probably another bug that'll get fixed by release.
    edited March 2014
    Awesome, thank you!

For me: the first link shows several pictures, the other links are giving me gray screens. So, based on on the faces I am seeing in the first link of yours: I agree they have a "Barbie" look to them. Though I don't consider them that bad, in fact I would (possibly) call them an improvement. I don't know what the body shapes look like (Halfings are currently horrible, they aren't supposed to look deformed, they're supposed to have the same proportions as humans/elves and the rest, only miniaturized. But that's subjective, too.)

Anyway, I suspect this change came after they dolled-up Shill cargo in Pirate's Skyhold who was completely rebut and every one was "Wow - why can't WE look like that?"

Here's why I don't think these new looks are all that bad: when we create our toons, we can spend an hour or more perfecting the look because we create it for ourselves, not others to see. And that's funny because even though we can spend so much time perfecting our character's looks, no one ever sees it.

There is no way to get a close look at someone else's avatar (and no: inspection window does;t help) - so all this is moot. Also, you don;t even get a good look at your own character because all you ever see is their backside, unless you remember to once-in-a-while rotate the mouse and soon-in, as long as you're in a non-combat are, etc.

As I've said: this is all subjective and I can understand how to feel they are ugly and a step backward, rather than an improvement.

Either way, thank you for this thread and screenshots. I totally forgot about the character revamp that's coming!
    edited March 2014
    Since it's not obvious, body shapes and armors (including the horribleness that is halfling proportions) are still exactly the same as they were. only things that are changing are from the neck up.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I dislike the direction they're going with this. I'll work with it if I have to - I like the game too much to drop it, especially with the warlock class on the horizon - but I really don't want to.
    edited March 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Since it's not obvious, body shapes and armors (including the horribleness that is halfling proportions) are still exactly the same as they were. only things that are changing are from the neck up.

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I dislike the direction they're going with this. I'll work with it if I have to - I like the game too much to drop it, especially with the warlock class on the horizon - but I really don't want to.

Oh gawd I am ACHING for the release of that Warlock (already have the Zen Points set aside for that Reanimated Decaying Horse for *THAT* character.) LOL

Okay, so the changes are for the neck-up, huh. That's kind of bizarre, but I also understand what's going on because at level 60, you really don't see any of the body, only armor/costume and the face (and even face can be often obscured for Rogues and Hunters and Guardians). I guess ol' Shill Yargo will still be the prettiest halfling in-game. All the rest will just be wannabe's. :) Again, thanks for taking-up this look through the character generator changes. I haven't had the time to even pop over to Preview for any of it yet. So I greatly appreciate it, and I'm quite sure many others do also.
    edited March 2014
    Ugh, I know! I've bought companions, an emperor beetle, and I'm working on getting perfect enchantments before anything else just so that when my warlock arrives, she'll be fully equipped.

On the actual topic, though, No problem. this is a really overlooked part of the new module, and I was really excited to have new aesthetic options because of how long I spend customizing my characters. Figured I'd post my feedback about them, at least.
  • djtlitedjtlite Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Looking through them, some thrill me, some dont. I love that halflings will be able to get beards. I have plans for those, the new hairstyles having 2 color options is also great, one major complaint: the justin beiber hair. Seriously a bad choice to put in. In addition the new beards are ok and i can see people using them, however we need another truly dwarven beard available for dwarves. I wanna make a younger version of my DC in the future and would like to use these new hair options to show him just after his hair began to grey but his beard options are either mono-colored or the new, way too short ones.

That being said good job, nice way to keep the older races fresh.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    More beards would be great to see in the future. I would love to see something like the natural goatee or the musketeer shown at the top of this page: http://www.growabeardnow.com/beard-styles/

It would make my half-orc much better.
  • silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, but ICK! I hope the new stuff isn't going to override current characters, or I'll never use my Rogues (wood elves) or CW (tiefling). Way too anime looking on the elves :/ The tieflings.....Just, No!
  • manplowmanplow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just had a look. I had to delete all but one of my characters to access character creation (Why?). I kind of like the new hairstyles and that they can have two colors in them, although not quite streaks (Give me streaks, Cryptic!). The eyes, though! The men's eyes are tiny, and I mean disproportionately small, and they have this cartoony, super-shiny quality to them. Women are similar, but the female elves still have their giant "alien cat eyes", except shiny. Maybe it's the new eyelashes.

The new eyes do in fact give your characters a Barbie doll look. I say the current style on the live server looks more alive.

I like the new beard types (on halflings, even!). I'm kind of on the fence about the new eye options (not really necessary, and kind of creepy) and face designs (3 kinds of complexion instead of 9, and combined with the head shape options).

After some consideration, no, I am not remaking my characters' looks after this update.
    Warrior Nation. Always recruiting. Check us out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Like a snow plow, but for people.
    edited March 2014
    Sorry, but ICK! I hope the new stuff isn't going to override current characters, or I'll never use my Rogues (wood elves) or CW (tiefling). Way too anime looking on the elves :/ The tieflings.....Just, No!

Signs point to being able to keep your old character appearance, rather than being required to update, and I really, really hope it stays that way.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yea, after checking it out. There is a serious Anime vibe on the new female faces. Big doe eyed and vacant looking. Even a new option for bigger pupils to go with the giant eyes. I'm not really happy with it. Having a serious western style, without all the anime influences, was one of the things I personally liked about the game. The style set NW apart from an overload of generic fantasy styles, filled with half naked, doe-eyed, battle barbies, in combat lingerie. This feels like a step backwards.

However, I do like some of the new tatoo's and hair styles. So its not all bad :D
    edited March 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    However, I do like some of the new tatoo's and hair styles. So its not all bad :D

I feel like that'd do it, myself. Keep the additions and drop the changes. The new hairstyles and tattoos are great. The faces either need to be rethought or left as they are on the live server
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've checked it for myself and I have to say, new faces are yuck. At least female ones. If my cute tiefling is going to be transformed into something like that, I... I don't know, I think I'll quit playing. New hairstyles are nice (tho most of them look weird with horns), but the faces - oh the horror! And is it just me, or is the new skin kind of greasy?
    edited March 2014
    It's not just you. I originally drew the barbie comparison because the skin textures look like they're made of plastic.
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The old (read: current) head meshes need to be added alongside the new ones, at least for Tieflings. I made a brand-new Tiefling on Mimic and no matter how far I set the Nose Length slider (it's currently maxed out) I cannot create a female tiefling whose nose does not look abnormally short. Maybe it's a bug?
    edited March 2014
    I played with the new creator a bit more and now I feel depressed. In general, all faces are worse and manga/alien/deformed looking in the new version, except for male half-orcs and dwarfs maybe. There is only 1 male tiefling face, that looks not that bad, but hey, male tieflings were always ugly, and all their "old" faces looked the same. Most terrible, maimed, horrifying new looks in my opinion are: male drow and half-elves, female tieflings and half-orcs. Half-orcs have some serious tusks issues btw.
    edited March 2014
    The old (read: current) head meshes need to be added alongside the new ones

+100 this, please. Or better yet, remove new faces alltogether, they are hideous.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The old (read: current) head meshes need to be added alongside the new ones (...)

Yes, THIS! I loved the new hairs, REALLY, but some of the new faces are kinda... Ugh...

Also, I would love if when u go to the Tower of Alteration, it wouldnt reset ur entire character. it could be better keeping what u have so u can change ONLY what u need.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Also, I would love if when u go to the Tower of Alteration, it wouldnt reset ur entire character. it could be better keeping what u have so u can change ONLY what u need.

If you exit the interface once and re-enter it, then you can tweak your existing appearance.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Woo, thx Becky :o but it should be default, not a 'workaround'. :/
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new Elven eyes are way better than the old ones. The old eyes have such terrible angles and they look way too big + very, very ugly. I always felt sorry for them, because it is hard to make a good looking Elf, like that.

I like it, alot.

edited March 2014
    I think the proposed solution of adding the new head meshes in alongside existing ones is probably for the best. Most seem to be in favor of the old ones, but at least a few prefer the new ones, and it'd give greater variety in character customization. Makes everybody happy.
    edited March 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    Most seem to be in favor of the old ones, but at least a few prefer the new ones

I think it depends on what race/gender you are playing. I admit the new female elves are not bad at all. Males on the other hand... especially drow... Any nice, helpful illithid here that could flay my mind to remove this horrible image? Please?
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    think they made new char and face models for chinese game version so i would like them to move new models,skins and faces and put in chinese game version only while giving us new haircuts and tattoos
    edited March 2014
    It really is irksome that Preview can allow copied characters up to the total cap, but does not allow access to character creation when you have the two default slots filled. Character slots should function like respecs and either be a free unlock or come fully unlocked.

(I'd go look at the new options in the Tower of Alteration... but I hear that crashes the game right now. :P)

Neverwinter Census 2017

• naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Deleted my excess copies to go see what the new faces/hairstyles look like... Hoo boy. This is... Yeah, it's awful.

There's so much *less* customization now, especially for elves/drow/half-elves. No more complexions for them. Even the races that get complexions only have three. No more head shape.

Further, a lot of the new faces have major issues - Mouth height can't be adjusted without looking extremely strange, at least one of the half-elf faces has ears that don't actually meet the head.

And yes, that awful anime barbie vibe. Overly shiny, overly large eyes, extremely anime-styled eyes, too pointy and weird and inhuman.

Further, none of my existing characters can be duplicated in the new system, which is a massive fail. By the gods, they'd better not force us to switch to these new 'options', I like my characters the way they ARE, and my CW especially can't be even approximated without looking like an anime <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with her eyelashes poking through her hair ridiculously.

New options are a good thing... But not at the expense of the old options, and definitely not when they're all exactly the same cookie-cutter anime barbie thing. Yuck. :/
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited March 2014
    I didn't have time to go through every race and sex, but the male elf faces really are hideous. Why so pinchy? They all looked like they were sucking lemons.

I do like what they've tried to do with adding more detail like the sparklier eyes and some different makeup options, and hair with more dimension, but I do hope this can be done as an addition to the existing character modelling rather than a complete rework.

With the complexions, it looked to me like humans had more choices even though they were not called as many things (so "weathered" is now essentially one of the "aged" options, but there are 5 different textures called "aged" with more variable degrees of wrinkliness).

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited March 2014
    ... (so "weathered" is now essentially one of the "aged" options, but there are 5 different textures called "aged" with more variable degrees of wrinkliness).

I need them to add one called (and looks like) Decrepit. I'll be needing this one for my Warlock when it become available.

I don't think they'll force everyone to update their current characters. There is way too much potential for really nasty things to happen (as in BROKEN!) - so I suspect (hope) these will be in addition to what is there now. Also, this is an early preview build and I'm sure they're not finishes with their tweaking. Except I don;t recall seeing a Feedback thread on the subject.

at this point I can only say: too much risk (but hey, what could go wrong, right?) in forcing all existing characters to be updated, so I don;t think that will happen. The real question is in what will be available to newly-created toons.

Oh, and I am serious about the Decrepit look. I want to create someone who looks old and frail. And I wanted my Half-Orc to be a big (as in FAT) overweight sloth-looking behemoth. But noooooo. All your characters will appear fit and fiddle, even if only *slightly* on the under or overweight side. I mean c'mon, Star Trek is the perfect example: all the best Klingon Warriors were all fat, pudgy, gray-haired old cronies! Pffft.
  • cenobite451cenobite451 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 87
    edited March 2014
    Oh no.

Oh NO.

Oh NO!

These can't go live in this state, right? I mean, who in their right mind... what in the...

:eek: