Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Black Ice Gear

Comments

• Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    brazennl wrote: »
    Is this item decay? Meaning, you will have to keep farming Black Ice to get the higher stats?

what this is, is the ultimate grind. Heck, they didnt even try to disguise it.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    But remember , you need to keep on farming black ice to keep empowering it and upgrading it ,it isn't a one time deal where you farm some , craft gear then that's it , you have to keep on farming and re-empowering gear , like you say though we'll see how it plays out.

Yes but based on the video, you get like 75 black ice a node and I believe quite a bit from killing an opponent. It didnt look to me that this would be a huge "grind" to keep your gear in the T3 range, maybe 30min ish a day would seem to be plenty enough to "farm" enough to boost your gear, and alot of people will farm up quite a stash of this end then probably not farm for a bit.

Also would be interesting to know if the gear loses stats in real time, or just game time, meaning if you log out does your character freeze where its at? Or if I log in, empower gear and log out, come back 6 hours later it was just a waste of black ice?

Also, I would imagine once the top "pvp guilds" have their black ice gear + reserves youll see alot less of guilds dominating black ice areas... Again anyone can go farm the PVE areas....

And once you factor in the zone "events" and things of that nature, I think people will have plenty of opportunity to get black ice, will some have advantages? sure, thats the nature of the game. A large pvp guild can effectively stake out a map for a bit allowing its members to farm black ice - but its not like its preventing others from swapping maps OR farming the PVE zones.... In a sense its ALMOST like the "top PVE guilds having advantage because they can farm the new PVE dungeons faster to get faster gear" see how thats a given? Plus with the skirmish event, I am sure there will be rewards from the epic skirmish that PVE players have the advantage over...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yes you buy the basic gear around Caer Konig and then collect or mine black ice then use the new profession to empower the basic gear , I don't think RNG is involved but the only look we have had was in Russian so we will have to wait to be see for sure , it's on preview soon.

What I saw, was you buy the basic gear and then through the profession turn it INTO either the "offensive" set or the "defensive" set for each class.

Then from there, you empower it using black ice to further boost its stats. It has 3 tiers of stats.

So you can either not empower it and have base gear which is probably on par with the current T2.5 items, OR you can farm to empower it and boost the stats further - which seems to significantly boost their values.
  • Options
    ontheriverontheriver Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 71 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    radtatat wrote: »
    That is good to know. Thanks! So, correct me if I'm wrong, anyone can make the basic black ice gear, and then farm black ice to 'power up' the gear to become BIS? Meaning the BIS gear is easily accessible to all as long as you are willing to spend time farming black ice? No RNG? No frustrating dungeon bosses? No painful PVP?

Some pieces do require that you play particular content - the off-hand item can only be crafted with a resource found only in the Epic Skirmish, for example, and crafting your weapon requires a resource only found by completing a particular type of Heroic Encounter - but there is no PvP requirement to acquire any of this gear.

In general you will find that most pieces can be crafted just by playing the content and collecting the resources. A few pieces will require that you seek out specific Heroic Encounters to track down the rarer resources, but you'll probably have encountered them during your time in Icewind Dale anyway. The profession ranks are unlocked by playing the campaign, so there should be time between unlocks to collect the resources you need for the next pieces you want to craft.

That's our hope, at least. We are looking forward to hearing feedback on how easy or hard it is to make these items so we can continue to tune the distribution of resources.
  • Options
    ontheriverontheriver Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 71 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Also would be interesting to know if the gear loses stats in real time, or just game time, meaning if you log out does your character freeze where its at? Or if I log in, empower gear and log out, come back 6 hours later it was just a waste of black ice?

The item must be equipped and you must be in combat for the gear to lose points. There are consumables that can affect your decay rate, too.
  • Options
    radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited March 2014
    ontheriver wrote: »
    Some pieces do require that you play particular content - the off-hand item can only be crafted with a resource found only in the Epic Skirmish, for example, and crafting your weapon requires a resource only found by completing a particular type of Heroic Encounter - but there is no PvP requirement to acquire any of this gear.

In general you will find that most pieces can be crafted just by playing the content and collecting the resources. A few pieces will require that you seek out specific Heroic Encounters to track down the rarer resources, but you'll probably have encountered them during your time in Icewind Dale anyway. The profession ranks are unlocked by playing the campaign, so there should be time between unlocks to collect the resources you need for the next pieces you want to craft.

That's our hope, at least. We are looking forward to hearing feedback on how easy or hard it is to make these items so we can continue to tune the distribution of resources.

Thanks for the replies and clarifications. :) A couple of questions:

1. I assume there are both PVP and PVE heroic encounters and the rare resources needed for some black ice gear items are available in both types of encounters?

2. Is black ice available in nodes outside the new Mod 3 maps?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    PurifiedHood_zps9bf2e430.jpg

BlackIceHood_zps1b16215c.jpg

HRCorruptedBlackIceGear_zps8440adc9.jpg

Looks like the only difference between the "purified/defensive" gear and the "corrupted/offensive" gear is the set bonus. Stats seem similar.

As for the effects of Black Ice empowerment, looks like T2->T3 is about +41 to primary stats, 0 to defense, +32 to secondary stat, and +180 to tenacity.

If thats the case from the BASE "Corrupted/purified" gear I would suspect the BASE hood (T1):

+ 364 Power
    + 364 ARP
    + 178 Defense
    + 283 Life Steal
    + 360 tenacity
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Some pieces do require that you play particular content - the off-hand item can only be crafted with a resource found only in the Epic Skirmish, for example, and crafting your weapon requires a resource only found by completing a particular type of Heroic Encounter ...

That's a shame, although not really a surprise and not a big deal. Still I'm interested and looking forward to seeing what this gear is like, both base and upgraded. There might be something useful that I can earn playing solo.

Screenshots appreciated if people have access before I get home, in about 8 hours. Edit: ^ thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I like the above, needed resources from drops to craft the items. I just hope this isnt like MC where the resources that drop are impossible to get by yourself forcing you to buy pieces from the AH. It would be nice if these resources came from the skirmish chest at the end eligible for everyone to get just a low drop rate - which is what makes it rare.

Is the campaign BOTH pve and pvp related? Or just PVE related... I really hope this isnt something where 1 month post mod 3 everyone is running around in full black ice gear making all classes essentially the same gear wise.... Which is my fear....

As for feedback, we can give it unless we test it. Any ETA on PTR - mod 3?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    My understanding is that this should be very shortly indeed.
  • Options
    midnightfang93midnightfang93 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    I like the above, needed resources from drops to craft the items. I just hope this isnt like MC where the resources that drop are impossible to get by yourself forcing you to buy pieces from the AH. It would be nice if these resources came from the skirmish chest at the end eligible for everyone to get just a low drop rate - which is what makes it rare.

Is the campaign BOTH pve and pvp related? Or just PVE related... I really hope this isnt something where 1 month post mod 3 everyone is running around in full black ice gear making all classes essentially the same gear wise.... Which is my fear....

As for feedback, we can give it unless we test it. Any ETA on PTR - mod 3?

Its being put on preview now; you can patch it but preview is still down as of this post. So, probably within an hour or two.
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    can u pls change lifesteel on corupted gear in recovery on gwf gear or reduce crtic strike it give and make it to give some recovery to
  • Options
    radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited March 2014
    So, if 'powered up' black ice gear (i.e. T3) is BIS for both PVE and PVP, what is the point of the 3 new sets of PVP gear (profound, grim..)?

Unless of course the rarer resources needed to craft some black ice items are hard to get (i.e. RNG based).
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, if 'powered up' black ice gear (i.e. T3) is BIS for both PVE and PVP, what is the point of the 3 new sets of PVP gear (profound, grim..)?

Unless of course the rarer resources needed to craft some black ice items are hard to get (i.e. RNG based).

Not so sure about PVE any more. The stats are massive, the set bonus not so much. CWs will still love their HV.
  • Options
    lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    that is true. if the set bonuses can't compare with the current ones then no reason to use the new gear. High viz, Avatar, and Swash should be looked at for the set bonuses and work off of similar things like that.

I fully do not like the idea of sets have an "in" game count down to when is decreases its effectiveness thus forcing me to do dailies that i may not want to do. This is there idea to force people to play it forever and that will becomes extremely boring.
  • Options
    brazennlbrazennl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited March 2014
    that is true. if the set bonuses can't compare with the current ones then no reason to use the new gear. High viz, Avatar, and Swash should be looked at for the set bonuses and work off of similar things like that.

I fully do not like the idea of sets have an "in" game count down to when is decreases its effectiveness thus forcing me to do dailies that i may not want to do. This is there idea to force people to play it forever and that will becomes extremely boring.

Yeah, they introduced item decay in Firefall, too, which is why I quit playing that game ...
  • Options
    daniell501daniell501 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Feedback about the new gear.
    Other gear without recovery? Most DCs require recovery. I'll have to change my enchants... Or continue to use Miracle Healer.

Bug with Purified gear.
    Purified Black Ice Guantlets and Helm haven't "blue" Enchantment Slot. Not sure if this is a bug

Question.
    How it works "Time Remaining" in Black Ice Gear?
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014

Its not RNG based. You have to constantly farm black ice or your BIS black ice gear gets destroyed or something like that
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    daniell501 wrote: »
    How it works "Time Remaining" in Black Ice Gear?

When you empower your basic black ice gear using black ice it gets a big stat boost that lasts as long as the timer says then when the timer runs out you have to empower it again to get the stat boost back .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is it basically impossible to always have empowered Black Ice gear then?
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    lucidproph3cylucidproph3cy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not impossible but kills it for me since you continuously have to do the dailys there to keep it up or pvp there and if you play a lot then it would become even more difficult. This will definitely hurt the community. A game should never force someone to do things to be competitive especially when all it will be is never ending grinding. please remove the timer feature from this armor or it is worthless i will stick to my t2 gear.

Also the black ice gear looks identical to the profound gear for me??? why is this can't they design it to look completely different please.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Not impossible but kills it for me since you continuously have to do the dailys there to keep it up or pvp there and if you play a lot then it would become even more difficult. This will definitely hurt the community. A game should never force someone to do things to be competitive especially when all it will be is never ending grinding. please remove the timer feature from this armor or it is worthless i will stick to my t2 gear.

A repair cost as in WoW i can deal with, but if this comes on live most likely i'll say my goodbyes. If the game had a sub i could understand the reason behind something like this, but as f2p?!
  • Options
    zippichzippich Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Empowerement decreases only in combat.
  • Options
    zippichzippich Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    From what I can see the GF Black Ice gear is not worth to craft (huge defense, some deflect and life steal). No offense stat at all (Power, Recovery, Critical, Armor P.). With the power rework I have lost almost 1k dmg on Lunging Strike. With this sets without any offense stat I will lose even more (both sets are same, different is just set bonus). Also, is it intended that all Black Ice sets have same set bonuses? Or are they just placeholders? Same problem is with the weapons - t2 Black Ice are worse than current Mod1 and Mod2 weapons, I guess t3 will be like them. Any boost (even few numbers) would be welcomed. It would be also quite helpful to see what stats t3 armor and weapons have.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi devs GWF armor sett sux avatar of war is much better t2 armor is better then t3? realy agan???
    Also GWF wepon sett is worse then any other t2 or t2.5 wep we need realy an improvment here!!!
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Personally, I will not bother to get the DC gear - it just isn't worth it for me. With DCs typically doing the least damage in groups (well, sometimes above GFs) Life Steal is the single least useful stat for DCs. We need Recovery, and that is missing from this set.

Maybe this is of interest to PvP DCs (if there are any of them still around), but in my case it is thanks, but no thanks.

I will stick with my other two sets - Miracle Healer for healing and High Prophet for buffing - it is kind-of sad that the best gear for a DC is a T1 set, but *shrug* maybe Module 4 will bring something worthwhile.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • Options
    lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    snotty wrote: »

Please explain to me why you have decided that in a PvE centric co-op built game, players should receive more black ice from doing PvP?

It truly makes no sense to basically force the PvE crowd to do PvP in order to gain items needed to make/empower new PvE gear quicker. Should it not be a 50/50 split between PvE and PvP in terms of gaining these items? Just because I don't want to deal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> talking, griefing trolls who take getting killed way too personally, Im now going to have to work harder to get my items? This is not how you promoted this game. It was/is bad enough that getting into the GG T2 dungeon basically favors the PvP crowd. Now you're going to add items to make more powerful gear and give the advantage to the PvP crowd yet again.

I totally agree with this. You guys should be focusing in more pvp modes and fun maps and not on this gimmick to make pvp almost mandatory to the game.
  • Options
    schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I cheked all gear and i my feedback is this :
    They all focused to pvp : Tr armor sett is too powerfull also CWs armo set .Any other class have usless sets both set.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I will not craft the new tr set. I cant just leave that 30/100 more stealth bar.

Also: gf have their defence overcapped. Stop giving them other.
  • Options
    cooljinxcooljinx Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see a catch 22 situation here: you need black ice gear to do the new map content (whether pve or pvp) and you need to do the new map content to get black ice gear. And with t1 armor (13.5k GS, lvl 7 enchants) on HR some mobs hit me for over 3k per hit, since the difference in stats between t1 and t2 set isn't huge, I don't suppose it would be much less after such upgrade. Without black ice gear, doing daily quests will be a nightmare, especially with damage nerf HRs will be given and the mobs resistance to cc. With black ice gear it will be endless grind.